8.2

1. Nov 21, 2014
    The Ghibli Studios can always give your best every animation. The Secret World of Arrietty is a masterpiece of stunning visuals and a well-crafted plot and wonderful characters.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    Studio Ghibli is synonymous with magic, great fantasy and philosophical and inside strength. "Spirited Away" is best, "How's Moving Castle" is better and "Ponyo" is good. "The Secret World of Arrietty" is like "Ponyo", good film but it is short of vigour and it promises more than it gives. I think that this film, like "The Cat Returns" too, is overrated. Movies with local customs like "From Up on Poppy Hill" and "Only Yesterday" are more undervalued than "The Secret World of Arrietty". "Arrietty" is okay but no more. Expand
  3. Sep 15, 2013
    I was surprisingly delighted while watching the film. Lavishly crafted and detailed environments with not so ordinary characters, beautiful music, there's much to be praised of Arrietty. I'd definitely recommend anyone to watch the film, buy it, and share with their children. Keeps a sense of fascination going.
  4. Jul 5, 2013
    "Ghibli's Arrietty" soars to its expectations, with wonderful new characters and a brand new fun premise. With its take on a "Toy Story" like qualities except with tiny humans, it has fun and enjoyable plot elements that are appealing. While it may lack true depth or an deep climax, the film shines with the bright visuals and fascinating world.
  5. Jul 3, 2013
    Its a Classic, It`s so easy to watch and so peaceful. I like all the characters! Love how detailed they get with the art. I loved the music from the beginning to end.
  6. May 15, 2013
    I'm probably being burned already for giving the score I did for this film; made by the god almighty company: Studio Ghibli, but I can't help it this one doesn't have that magic that most of the others do. i saw this with my Grandma near its time of release, we both enjoyed it, but she thought it was a very different type of animated film; she's a Disney type of person. I later saw it again in Japanese class with my friends, they thought it was not one of the best ones, and I thought it just wasn't as great as I thought. I think it's about time I start talking about why I think the way I do and stop avoiding the crowd. I think that setting is neat, being that we see everything from a little person's view; you what I mean, so as always the visuals are a pleasure to look at. I think the cast of characters is rather weak, the "borrowers" as they are called are okay, but the humans are just uninteresting. The boy is rather bland, and that can be a problem when he's one of the main characters. The only other one that comes close to being interesting is the nanny/housekeeper, in how she eventually becomes a problem for the "borrowers". now about the Borrowers, the idea is that they take; Oh i'm sorry "borrow", from people and use it for their everyday uses. I think there was a movie around the 80's or 90's named the same thing. We also get the classic cliche of someone who's tired of their everyday living and just wants to get out in the world. I say classic because it's old, I;m not implying that it's good in anyway. Well, there are some funny moments in the film; none that are laugh out loud, but some that're good old knee slappers. I guess I just can't really get with this movie because it's just weird, unlike Howl's moving castle which was weird as well but was interesting too. So, I can say that this is probably a good movie, it's just not for me. Expand
  7. Mar 23, 2013
    A Charming Tale! The Best Animated Film Of 2012!
  8. Feb 17, 2013
    This film is wonderful a beautiful family film that has a breathtaking soundtrack and is a delight to look at. One of the best animated films i have seen.
  9. Nov 2, 2012
    I kept pausing this film just to take in certain frames, usually sketches the garden. Each frame is an absolute work of art. To add to that the story is very nice and the voiceovers are top notch as always. A lovely film indeed and a great collection to Ghibli's repertoire.
  10. Oct 27, 2012
    Another Ghibli success comes in the form of 'The Secret World of Arrietty', a heartwarming and gorgeously animated entry into the studio's already impressive resume of films. The movie fully transports you into the world of the borrowers, a feat that many other films about little people have failed to accomplish. Some may be off-put to this particular release due to its rather deliberate pacing, but it's for that exact reason that I really enjoyed 'Arrietty'. Most animated films are so focused on immediate gratification that they rarely slow down to let us really take in the display of painstakingly constructed visuals and it is in this avoidance of convention that the film really is elevated to greatness. The music for the movie (especially in the scenes where Arrietty travels through the lush garden) is also beautiful and captivating. All of the aesthetic aspects aside, 'The Secret World of Arrietty' never forgets about it's story and characters. There is one particular scene of note where Shawn and Arrietty have a deeply philosophical conversation about living life and the acceptance of death. There is such a reverence for depth in the dialogue in that scene. Overall, a beautiful and wholly enjoyable movie that adults can take pleasure from just as much as their kiddies can. Expand
  11. Oct 1, 2012
    The Secret World of Arrietty is a fantastic and moving slice of Ghibli anime. It has a delightfully calm tone and a truly excellent soundtrack. There's not too much to say other than this movie is just pure brilliance.
  12. Jun 30, 2012
    Hard to judge this film simply because if it was any normal film it would be decent, but for a Studio Ghibli film it was quite disappointing. I guess they can't pump out Princess Moninoke's or Howls Moving Castle's, but one can dream the next will try harder. I found Ponyo even better than Arrietty, but as I said, as a film in general, this one is still decent.
  13. May 28, 2012
    Studio Ghibli Does It Again!
    Another Great Movie, But The Ending Seems Rushed! It Would Of Been A 10!
  14. May 16, 2012
    The Secret World of Arrietty is a pretty and touching cinematic, which will leave you entertained in front of the screen for the whole runtime. Despite the fact that it's a good picture, it doesn't by far compete with the other Ghiblis. The animation is good but not fantastic, the story is nice but not complex, and the characters are cute but not deep. I have not seen or read the original story but I really think the boy could've been more developed and combined with the theme of loss more. Arrietty is a nice character but I think her behavior is quite unrealistic; someone adolescent like her ought to be eager to know more about the world. She seems to be amazed about the only stuff that's around her, despite her coming-of-age. The lady taking care of the boy could've been more of an antagonist, as the movie lacks proper contrast with the goodwill of the boy. In the end The Secret World of Arrietty merely hints of what Ghibli characters, animation, artwork, wit and story can be and could've been, not what it is to this date. Expand
  15. May 5, 2012
    A studio Ghibli film, what more can I say. Extremely well done, great story. Just an overall Studio Ghibli classic. If you like other films such as, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo, My Neighbor Totoro, Hal's Moving Castle, you should like this film.
  16. j30
    Apr 29, 2012
    The Secret World of Arrietty is sugar coated Hayao Miyazaki (he didn't direct this movie, but he co-wrote the story). If your looking for the wild imagination of Miyazaki's classics like Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, or Howl's Moving Castle this is not the movie for you. However if you're looking for Pixar, family friendly stuff, here you go.
  17. Apr 29, 2012
    This film isn't really what I was expecting. I found the story extremely boring and must admit it isn't in the usual Disney or Studio Ghibli styles (both of which i like!). The animations are good though, and it is a charming story, but not something I would watch again.
  18. Apr 24, 2012
    I just simply love it! Welcome to the world of Studio Ghibli! If you are familiar with thiz famous studio in Japan, by any chance you must have seen My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Princess of Mononoke (1997), Spirited Away (2001) or my favorite anime Ponyo (2008). Hayao Miyazaki is the mastermind behind those respectable masterpieces. Thiz time he hands over the directing to his experienced Key Animator, Hiromasa Yonebayashi. 14-year-old Arrietty, mother and father are four-inch-tall people who live in another family residence. The family fulfils their daily needs like bread, sugar, tissue and other things by borrowing them. There is a heart-kinded boy named Shou, just moves into the house and something is going to change forever. The voice Actors are Mirai Shida (Arrietty), Tomokazu Miura (Pod, the father), Shinobu Ohtake (Homily, the mother) and Ryûnosuke Kamiki (Shou). In UK version, the character Arrietty is voiced by Saoirse Ronan. Our mood has been set up to feel the tenderness from the very first moment, the car driving to the house is beautifully described with uplifting music, it reminds me of the opening scene in Spirited Away. The classic hand-drawn animation is at its best. Thiz movie is just like all the other Studio Ghibli productions, it is filled with beauty, elegance and plenty of lovable characters. The details is unbelievably accurate, the sunshine, the rain, the wind blowing, everything is well-crafted. Thiz movie is not an ordinary animation but it is actually a drama in animated form with more mature standpoint. There are a lot of hearts there. See all over every scene, we will have very friendly experiences and down to earth feelings. You will easily find sensitive humanity theme behind it. If nowadays most people go with Pixar. Myself, I am always looking forward for Studio Ghibli productions. I saw you, Arrietty! And I kind of loved it!

Visit My Blog on JONNY MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  19. Apr 6, 2012
    Having watched The Borrowers as a child, I really looked forward to taking my kids to this film. It was so slow moving... it dragged on forever. Rent this one, but don't expect much.
  20. Apr 5, 2012
    Stunning visuals and sound abound throughout the film yet I couldn't escape the desire of wanting something to happen up until the end. The film left me wishing they had explored the world they created and found another story to tell in it.
  21. Apr 4, 2012
    This Movie Is So Amazing! (As Other Ghibli Movies)
    All I Can Say Is The Animation Is So Beautiful, A Great Plot, Overall In My Opinion The Best Animated Movie Of 2012!
    This Needs To Be Nominated For A Acadamy Award! FINGERS CRO$$ED!
  22. Mar 25, 2012
    The secret world of Arrietty is a faithful representation of the source material, focusing mainly on the Clock family and their relationship with a chronically sick boy. Even though it is not directed by Miyazaki there are very clear influences from Nausica and Totoro. The meeting of two very different worlds and the feeling of post-apocalyptic world even though it is firmly based in our present world. Even though this movie is addressed for the younger generation, it tackles very grown up themes which embody the whole movie. For example there is a sheer presence of loneliness that creates the whole feeling of the movie. Its dark, thematic and vastly detailed, you would be at awe at the incredible detail that the differences between the two worlds are greatly contrasted in way that is purely Ghibli. If you're finding it difficult to watch this because there is no Miyazaki, think again this is an incredible, grown up picture that greatly impresses. Expand
  23. Mar 21, 2012
    Arrietty is quite simply a joy to behold. Simultaneously an affectionate and faithful adaptation of Mary Norton's novel The Borrowers and a highly original journey in visual terms, the film captivates you from the very start. Much like Studio Ghibli's last feature Ponyo, Arrietty is sweet, tender and without agenda, other than the environmental subtext that it wouldn't be Ghibli without. Again like Ponyo, it's a film about growing up, finding your place in the world and truly appreciating the importance of family and friends. Arrietty is visually sumptuous even by Studio Ghibli's standard - everything is drawn and animated beautifully, and it's very easy to get swept up in the colossal domestic and garden environments, all presented from a "Borrower's-eye-view". The voice cast are spot-on, particularly Mirai Shida's inquisitive and adventurous teen Borrower and titular heroine Arrietty and Kirin Kiki's scheming caretaker Haru, who makes a sinister but humorous antagonist. The film's simple but effective score by Cecile Corbel rounds things off nicely, and adds a little extra emotion and magic to proceedings. Arrietty is a truly great animated film, and in a really quite horrifying modern world, it makes a nice change to watch something that is so innocent, that would satisfy a 5 year-old or an 85 year-old in equal measure. Expand
  24. Mar 17, 2012
    Lush and magical and delightful all at the same time. It may not be as thrilling or epic as Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke or Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, yet it is still ten times better than most animated films that America spews out. Like most other Studio Ghibli films, Arrietty treats its audience like intelligent people, making the film exciting not just for the young ones, but for any age. I have never read The Borrowers, but based on what I saw in the film, it appears that Mr. Miyazaki did a decent job adapting the novel for the screenplay. The only thing is, he may have stayed too true to the novel's simple style, and in the process, may have detracted slightly from his studio's usually distinct imaginative qualities. The movie is calm, reserved, ans slow-paced. It's not about action, it's about detail. Feast your eyes and enjoy. Expand
  25. Mar 16, 2012
    Arrietty is a visual delight with beautifully animated characters and locales, an entertainingly simplistic premise and some great comic timing. It's studio Ghibli at its finest as it not only brings the viewer into Arrietty's tiny world but also makes it seem more beautiful than the one we giants live in. Arrietty instills a great sense of adventure in the viewer as both Arrietty and Sho explore each others worlds and find great joy and enrichment from experiencing both together. It's a film with a wealth of emotion and heart that never lets up, even as the film draws to a close in an unexpected way. The characters are unique with Arrietty being adventurous but incredibly empathetic to both humans and borrowers. Sho is optimistic despite his significant problems and Pod, Arrietty's father is calm, conscientious but constantly fearful of the world he lives in. Sure its darker than most American animation but in comparison to films like The Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away, Arrietty is like a ray of sunshine in comparison. Overall the film is not just beautiful and clever it instills a sense of the magical into your everyday life as you secretly wish that there are small people living in the walls, living life to the fullest. Expand
  26. Mar 10, 2012
    There is something magical about the wonderful creations of Japan's Studio Ghibli, and animator Hayao Miyazaki. And although this is not their strongest suit, it is still spellboundingly beautiful.
  27. Mar 6, 2012
    a movie with a very well made as to the emotional, with a sweet and entertaining story that can disfrutat young and old. well done Disney and Studio Gibhi.
  28. Mar 2, 2012
    I love The Secret World of Arrietty, is an interesting anime film, about a different world, and is perfect this film, this studio never do a terrible work and the secret world of arrietty is fantastic.
  29. Mar 2, 2012
    This movie is classic Ghibli magic. The feel is much like the heroines of My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. She's bold, hyper-responsible, and wants very much to take care of everyone. It's a small, quiet story, told with beautiful detail.

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Feb 23, 2012
    Although not directed by Hiyao Miyazaki (though he executive-produced and co-wrote it), the film retains the look and feel of the "Spirited Away" master's best work, allowing for huge emotions amidst a world of Lilliputian scope.
  2. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Feb 21, 2012
    The Secret World of Arrietty may be too gentle and meditative to be the studio's breakout hit in this country, but it's another sweet advance, and further evidence that the Ghibli secret must soon out.
  3. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Feb 20, 2012
    Pulses with feeling for childhood and nature and develops a surprising amount of suspense considering it takes place around a single suburban home.