Sundance Selects | Release Date: December 20, 2013
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 19 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Lamigol10Dec 18, 2014
An absolutely inspiring film about a massive person who is utterly selfish. Mark Pitts only plays a small part but for me steals the show. A future star !!
LeZeeMar 25, 2014
A surprisingly good movie, unexpectedly exceeded all my expectations and put me on speechless. It was inspired by the Oscar Wilde story which portrays two English boys who are suspended from their school for misbehaving. They are inheritedA surprisingly good movie, unexpectedly exceeded all my expectations and put me on speechless. It was inspired by the Oscar Wilde story which portrays two English boys who are suspended from their school for misbehaving. They are inherited from the poor family which led them to work for a local scrap dealer. After sometime the things changes between them and decides to move in different directions, which ends in a shocking tragedy.

The story was told in a straight forward flow in a raw form with a possible realistic approach. Great performance by the two inexperience kids and a fine direction. One of the best British movie in a recent past with a good message carrying in it.

The Story of a two kids with different characteristic nature, but same interest which puts them together. The relationship between them and the path they choose to travel in life was clearly depicted. And so the nature of unexpected accident that strike without a warning. All together this movie became a solid piece of cinema, but a bit rough in parts.

Since 'Paranoid Park' I have not disturbed by any film scenes. The whole day I was thinking about the disaster that happened in this movie. For that scene alone this movie deserves to be R rated. Also, there are many bad words used in dialogues which is not suitable for kids. I love British movie, if you do as well then don't miss this movie.
ariel84Jun 5, 2014
a movie not many will see. a shame. it is, head and shoulders, better than 99.9% of the crap coming out of hollywood. unflinching, unsentimental, but very moving and sensitive. i missed a good quarter of the dialogue because i couldn't sorta movie not many will see. a shame. it is, head and shoulders, better than 99.9% of the crap coming out of hollywood. unflinching, unsentimental, but very moving and sensitive. i missed a good quarter of the dialogue because i couldn't sort out the Northern accent. which really didn't matter. the story was so well conveyed cinematically and through the actors, it is easily grasped. outstanding. Expand
ugisupriatnaAug 5, 2014
"The Selfish Giant" is an unexpectedly excellent working-class friendship movie. A strong and first-class first-time performance from two young leading actors make a tale about friendship, lost and desperation going quietly emotional and"The Selfish Giant" is an unexpectedly excellent working-class friendship movie. A strong and first-class first-time performance from two young leading actors make a tale about friendship, lost and desperation going quietly emotional and being a proof that British cinema has a film even better than Hollywood. Expand
alwayswatchingDec 6, 2015
This is a great movie about friendship. It is a sad movie but it is not manipulative at all. It cuts through many layers that makes us humans without glorifying us or shaming us. It just show how we, humans, are.