The Shawshank Redemption

1. RoryP.
    Jul 13, 2008
    Overrated.
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion this movie is really overrated. No real emotional scenes and the worst part of this movie is its "Happy End" in its pink colors. I hardly rate it 4/10. Expand
  3. YoonC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Way too manipulative from start to finish though well-crafted in most aspects. If you want some schlocky moral sermon to be whispered into your ears and want a nice warm hug and a big fat juicy kiss to be reminded that bad guys get their comeuppance and good guys end up in paradise, this is for you.
  4. Nov 5, 2012
    Aside from the iconic poster-on-the-wall scene, nothing about this movie is all that memorable. A crowd-pleasing story with a message that comes off like a sermon.
  5. Mar 24, 2015
    I was expecting something else entirely to a better movie. Sorry not impressed me so even give birth. The only thing I liked was how they interpreted actors. Otherwise ... no comment.

1. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    Sep 24, 2016
    In the lead roles, both Robbins and Freeman are outstanding, layering their performances with snippets of individuality: Their small, daily sustenances and minor triumphs are wonderfully inspiring.
    It's the no-bull performances that hold back the flood of banalities. Robbins and Freeman connect with the bruised souls of Andy and Red to create something undeniably powerful and moving.
  3. Gripping...compelling.