The Shawshank Redemption

9.1

1. Mar 24, 2015
    I was expecting something else entirely to a better movie. Sorry not impressed me so even give birth. The only thing I liked was how they interpreted actors. Otherwise ... no comment.
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion this movie is really overrated. No real emotional scenes and the worst part of this movie is its "Happy End" in its pink colors. I hardly rate it 4/10. Expand
  3. Nov 5, 2012
    Aside from the iconic poster-on-the-wall scene, nothing about this movie is all that memorable. A crowd-pleasing story with a message that comes off like a sermon.
  4. RoryP.
    Jul 13, 2008
    Overrated.
  5. YoonC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Way too manipulative from start to finish though well-crafted in most aspects. If you want some schlocky moral sermon to be whispered into your ears and want a nice warm hug and a big fat juicy kiss to be reminded that bad guys get their comeuppance and good guys end up in paradise, this is for you.

It's the no-bull performances that hold back the flood of banalities. Robbins and Freeman connect with the bruised souls of Andy and Red to create something undeniably powerful and moving.
  2. Gripping...compelling.
  3. Some of "The Shawshank Redemption'' comes across as outrageously improbable. Yet the film keeps pulling you back with its sense of striving humanity slowly turning the tables against evil.