Columbia Pictures | Release Date: September 1, 1994
Universal acclaim based on 1326 Ratings
1,231
Watch Now
D-SliceDec 30, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, so, so good. The adaptation of the Stephen King novel is so entertaining, filled with interesting dialogue and plot twists. A pretty much perfect prison film. Great performances by Robbins and Freeman. One moment really got to me: the moment when Andy crawls out of the sewer tunnel and stares up at the sky in the rain. Such a glorious moment of triumph, I wanted to stand up and scream "Yes!". This movie truly depicted that prison life in the fifties was just as hard for new prisoners as it is implied today. The movie didn't sugar coat Andy's prison life. A great movie full of great writing and performances that the first time you watch it, it will instantly be fortified as a great movie classic. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 10, 2011
"Shawshank Redemption", a sensational movie containing a strong plot, powerful performances, and the ultimate theme of good and evil, is a masterpiece.
AlfredNov 3, 2010
One of the best movies of all time. Don't deprive yourself of the pleasure of watching such a stellar movie. Go now and watch this movie if you have never seen it. Perfect casting, amazing story, emotional performances. Just perfect.
smithbhurricaneSep 9, 2012
This is my all time favorite movie. Great story of redemption and justice.
YoussefSaabDec 5, 2013
The story of friendship, redemption and hope, what can I say about this great masterpiece, The Best Movie of all time that teach you lots of the meanings of life, tells you to never fear anything and never lose hope, because hope always setThe story of friendship, redemption and hope, what can I say about this great masterpiece, The Best Movie of all time that teach you lots of the meanings of life, tells you to never fear anything and never lose hope, because hope always set you free... Expand
catmanSep 27, 2012
Shawshank Redemption is easily one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. The movie has a great message to it, the acting and filming were fantastic.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
What to say about the "Shawshank Redemption"? I shouldn't really have to say anything because when most people hear about it, they already have a pretty good idea of how incredible it is. This movie is freakin' immaculate. Darabont and Co.What to say about the "Shawshank Redemption"? I shouldn't really have to say anything because when most people hear about it, they already have a pretty good idea of how incredible it is. This movie is freakin' immaculate. Darabont and Co. have created not only the most inspiring film in ages, but one of the most emotionally significant films to date. The movie teaches things to us that we need to know - messages on hope, perserverance, and friendship - and it does it with marvelous eloquency. By far, one of the greatest films I have ever seen - a master work of art. Expand
WiesyJan 17, 2013
Very good movie. There are no words to describe how good this movie is.
Movie1997Apr 29, 2013
Before, I never understood why this movie was #1 on the imdb top 250s list, but now i understand why. This movie was a beautifully crafted story on friendship, redemption and hope. The storyline was really well-crafted, and putting in theseBefore, I never understood why this movie was #1 on the imdb top 250s list, but now i understand why. This movie was a beautifully crafted story on friendship, redemption and hope. The storyline was really well-crafted, and putting in these unforgettable characters made it even better. From Red to Andy to Norton, they we're all just wonderful and enjoyable characters, especially Red and Andy. The relationship between those two is what really holds the balance of the movie. And putting in characters such as Warden Norton and Captain Hadley makes the story riveting and (in a sense) dark. It's not like any other movie out there. Overall, it's a classic Stephen King story. Expand
Masoud1986Apr 14, 2013
The best. Astonishing. Superb. Well-acted, well-directed movie by one of my favorite directors was supposed to win much more awards. It deserved much more attention at the time but, no matter at all. Day by day people know it, understand itThe best. Astonishing. Superb. Well-acted, well-directed movie by one of my favorite directors was supposed to win much more awards. It deserved much more attention at the time but, no matter at all. Day by day people know it, understand it and realize it. Expand
nitr0Nov 12, 2013
"HOPE IS A GOOD THING. MAYBE THE BEST OF THINGS. AND NO GOOD THING EVER DIES"

"HOPE IS A GOOD THING. MAYBE THE BEST OF THINGS. AND NO GOOD THING EVER DIES"

Casting was spotty, with Tim Robbins a great choice for the lead character, Dufresne. Robbins maintains viewer interest anytime he is the focus of attention, unfortunately a lot of the screen time is devoted to the narrator, “Red,” (Morgan Freeman) who drops pearls of cracker barrel wisdom a la Waylon Jennings’ narration of The Dukes of Hazzard. Morgan Freeman, while a decent enough actor in no way can stimulate my interest for very long with his bland, long-winded, homespun observations on the Dufresne character and prison life in general. I feel that Freeman’s performance was not strong enough to carry the amount of screen time assigned by the director. Bob Gunton, as Warden Norton the bible thumping hypocrite who runs Shawshank is a great asset to the film with his sly characterization of the unlikable tyrant. One of the best supporting roles I’ve seen lately was essayed by James Whitmore, as Brooks, the librarian at Shawshank. Brooks had a pet crow, much like the animal character Mr. Jingles Darabont used in The Green Mile. Brooks was released from Shawshank after about a half-century. Unfortunately, he was unable to adapt to life on the outside.
GabrielHU3ttdz6Jul 28, 2017
A parody of better movies. This movie was made for people with no brains or low intellect. It doesn't even deserved an Oscar nomination. Maybe that's why in serious lists, this isn't even in Top 100.
JodiC.Dec 6, 2005
Spectacular!
patrickd.Sep 22, 2005
I didnt enjoy it as much as I should of, but I know this is a great film.
Mr.HankeyApr 20, 2006
This movie is beautiful, genius and brutal. It shows what prison life is like at the time which may not be innovative because obviously it has been done before but it still is a movie that is lightened up by the superb and versatile actings This movie is beautiful, genius and brutal. It shows what prison life is like at the time which may not be innovative because obviously it has been done before but it still is a movie that is lightened up by the superb and versatile actings of Tim Robbins (Andy Dufrane) and Morgan Freeman (Redd). The movie is sad and long but shows that if you live in prison you are still just trying to live the life you already had. The movie is a jolly tale of friendship, violence (including torture and isolation) and last but not least genius. Expand
RobertR.Jun 17, 2006
Just a great inspirational movie about the power of hope. This grown man cries everytime I see it.
LeeM.Jun 21, 2006
i cant believe this film is not in the all time top 10 this is a truely great film with a great feel good ending, morgan freeman is immense!
CLSep 11, 2006
This movie is possibly the most moving movie I ever watched. I think Morgan Freeman really made this movie what it is, with one of his best performances ever.
BlakeO.Mar 28, 2007
The Shawshank Redemption is a powerful and uplifting, not to mention Oscar-worthy film. In 2006, it was ranked as the greatest film ever by Empire, a film magazine. The year it came out it was nominated for 7 academy awards but did not win a The Shawshank Redemption is a powerful and uplifting, not to mention Oscar-worthy film. In 2006, it was ranked as the greatest film ever by Empire, a film magazine. The year it came out it was nominated for 7 academy awards but did not win a single one because of a movie you may all remember, Forrest Gump. The success of Gump may have overshadowed this movie in the 90 Expand
kloNov 14, 2005
Just great, the same about novel.
MomoKokoDec 23, 2005
The best movie I've seen in years.
DavidPNov 19, 2006
Simplemente, una narrativa envolvente y unas actuaciones poderosas, facilmente podria seer la mejor pelicula de todos los tiempos.
someonesomeplaceOct 19, 2006
I can watch this movie more than any other. Perfect.
RonnieC.Feb 25, 2006
Beautiful. Moving. Amazing score. Don't listen to any criticism. Watch it for yourself. Period.
JustinC.Jun 26, 2006
One of my favorite movies of all time. I highly recommend it.
Alexanderzx360Sep 26, 2012
Based on the Stephen King novel by the same name, it's simply the best movie ever made, it should had won best picture in 1994, and all characters performances are incredible. If you haven't watch it, just do it without thinking about it twice.
SwatiNov 8, 2013
Such a strong narrative. All the ingredients of what makes a good drama in the right proportions. The goodness inside people in the most Godforsaken places, and the moral corruption some of us could suffer from if given power over condemnedSuch a strong narrative. All the ingredients of what makes a good drama in the right proportions. The goodness inside people in the most Godforsaken places, and the moral corruption some of us could suffer from if given power over condemned people.

You have to make your own mind about Andy, whether he is innocent or not. He believes so, but all evidence points to the contrary. Robbins plays him in a subtle, laid-back manner. He's hard to figure out. Then there is Red, played by the masterful Freeman, who is in for the long haul and doesn't know if he is ever going to breathe free air again. These two characters make the heart and soul of the movie.

There may be a message here. Without being overt, we sense as the years of these men's lives are wasted before our eyes, especially Andy since you can't really figure out if he is guilty or not. But the ways he finds to engage himself, do something good.

There is plenty of humour and the drama never exceeds the limit where it might become painful. The action is sparse and is shown in an expository fashion. The tone is objective. And Freeman's voice guides you through every scene. The camera angles used, and the overall cinematography was genius. It was like being guided though a maze by an expert in the field. The dialogue was crisp and refreshing. The score quiet and unobtrusive. The world created, or in this case just the prison, seemed so real and complete. You could feel the inmates' emotions related to the place.

All this may give the impression that it may be hard to sit through it, but quite surprisingly, like all great movies, despite the deep, absorbing discussions about life, the movie speeds through from scene to scene without effort. I had the feeling I have when I'm reading an especially engrossing novel I cannot put down. I guess this is what happens when the work of great directors, screenwriters and cinematographers fuses to deliver a product that exceeds anything that a single department could achieve at its best. This one did not just have effort put into it but also soul.
PeterIsAwesomeAug 21, 2014
I have very little to say about this movie that has not been said to death. An unwaveringly inspirational story of perseverance in the face of hardship, this movie will teach you how to hope again. Not only does the story never fail to moveI have very little to say about this movie that has not been said to death. An unwaveringly inspirational story of perseverance in the face of hardship, this movie will teach you how to hope again. Not only does the story never fail to move me, but the acting performances were terrific as well, as Tim Robbins shows us a man who has everything, only to lose it, and Morgan Freeman turns from a callous murderer to a deeper thinking more mature and repentant man. Expand
imjoedavidsonSep 2, 2016
An incredibly touching film. Strong script and a well committed cast, dedicated to telling the story. This film will be remembered and immortalised as a classic.
AmenophisFeb 23, 2014
Ive always been an action packaged movie watcher, or always watch those movie with mind blowing plot twist, Se7en, Inception, Akira, Seven Samurai, etc. but the first time my mom told me about this movie, i watched at 10 years old, i wasn'tIve always been an action packaged movie watcher, or always watch those movie with mind blowing plot twist, Se7en, Inception, Akira, Seven Samurai, etc. but the first time my mom told me about this movie, i watched at 10 years old, i wasn't prepared to see a movie that good, now im 22 i looked for the name of this movie for decades, i never knew the name of the movie was THE SHAWNSHANK REDEMPTION, the movie my mom always rated at the best of all times, and guess what, is my favorite too and is by far the best movie ever Expand
shankmfsDec 3, 2013
I made my mind to watch this movie in 2012 as most of users recommended on IMDb. I always wonder what could be one thing that makes Shawshank legend of Hollywood movies. Well, I gotta say I found my favorite actor of lifetime after watchingI made my mind to watch this movie in 2012 as most of users recommended on IMDb. I always wonder what could be one thing that makes Shawshank legend of Hollywood movies. Well, I gotta say I found my favorite actor of lifetime after watching it: Morgan Freeman. Every single thing in the movie is 10/10. Story of Stephen King, screenplay, dialogs, drama, suspense, crime and action. I compare Morgan to Amitabh Bachchan of Hollywood. The brief voice of Freeman moves me whenever I heard him. I never gets tired watching it again and again, its that kind of out of this world picture. I still sit back in ave and can't help myself from watching it again and again. Thanks to strong direction and support staff, this makes to top my list all-time. Expand
IsayithowitisDec 31, 2013
Needless to say an all time great. One of the few movies you can watch over and over. The acting in incredible, the story is captivating and engaging, and every actor comes through in a big way. A truly wonderful movie. If you have not seenNeedless to say an all time great. One of the few movies you can watch over and over. The acting in incredible, the story is captivating and engaging, and every actor comes through in a big way. A truly wonderful movie. If you have not seen it, you will not be disappointed when you do. Expand
andrebarrosoDec 19, 2014
What happens with "the Godfather" happens with "The Shawshank Redemption". Must watch it before and you die and it's impossible that you'll hate this one.
Morgan Freeman brings to the audience possibly the best performance of his career.
With Roger Deakins' cinematography and Thomas Newman's score, this might be the best prison-drama inthe history of cinema. Absolutely remarkable.
WillyWildeMar 25, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How does this movie score an 80? Are you kidding me? Apparently these '' Critics '' aren't fans of Astonishing Nostalgic masterpieces. This movie will always be the G.O.A.T. Simply because of the power of friendship and hope outweighs everything. Expand
EdwardGregoryApr 19, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.

One writer on IMDB made the comment that the best movies "touch the soul." Shawshank Redemption achieves greatness, indeed perfection, not because of special effects or action or violence or any semblance of distraction. It achieves greatness because it touches the soul with a straightforward cinematic experience filled with brilliant dialogue, exemplary performances and a message of hope in the midst of the darkest of times. It is a message that resonates deeply and grows more intense with each subsequent viewing of the film.

The first time I viewed Shawshank Redemption I didn't find it to be anything special. Sure, stars Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman were good BUT their performances weren't anything special...or so I thought at the time.

Frank Darabont directs Shawshank Redemption with a gentle, guiding hand allowing the actors to discover the essence within their characters. Some actors, undoubtedly, would not be up to the task. Robbins and Freeman, however, are not "some actors." They are consummate actors and masterful in their portrayals here.

Based upon Stephen King's novella, Darabont creates a film that never buys into the drama of its story, instead choosing to present the lives of the characters involved without histrionics. I have long felt, in fact, that the film may even improve upon the novella by bringing it into focus and providing it with a pacing that allows a more explicit character development.

I have noticed that many of my favorite films are ensemble pieces, and while Robbins and Freeman shine here it is actually the entire cast that brings this story to life with such grace and beauty. Supporting performances by the likes of James Whitmore, William Sadler, Gil Bellows and others who take what could be caricatures and give them in-depth personalities and thoughts and feelings.

Thomas Newman's score is supremely divine and changes along with the characters. It further enhances Darabont's pacing, as well. There are so many memorable scenes in Shawshank Redemption, however, the closing scene is certainly among one of the best closing scenes ever witnessed.

It is hard to fathom that a "prison" movie could be a source of tremendous hope, light and inspiration. Yet, to call Shawshank Redemption a prison movie is to minimize its greatness. It is a brilliant film, a study of humanity in all its wonder AND it happens to take place within the confines of a prison.

Moving, brilliant, inspirational, hopeful and empowering are all words that describe "The Shawshank Redemption." With outstanding performances from its ensemble cast and a work of tremendous cinematic poetry by director Frank Darabont. "Shawshank Redemption" creates a stellar vision that teaches, challenges, inspires and evokes a wide array of emotions and thoughts that serves to remind us that in the darkest moments of our lives there is always a light that shines within.
jrgass03May 24, 2015
This movie is the best movie ever (in my opinion). It is not too long, great character development and was made brilliantly. This movie will age well. It may not be a classic to some people but it is.
vicky_logicalJun 22, 2015
A good, a better, the best movie I have ever watched. At the start of the movie there is an excellent background score which till runs inside me. From there till the end I enjoyed the journey of hope, friendship
and freedom.
MuhammadFalahApr 15, 2016
this is the best movie I've ever seen in my entire life . it's very good drama and surprising end . amazing story and good and perfect acting from Morgan Freeman ,Tim Robbins and Bob Gunton ....it's an amazing movie.
anonymous133Aug 25, 2016
This movie gave me much needed hope. I'm truly inspired. Never has a movie affected me this much. I normaly don't like narrated movies but of course Morgan Freeman can pull it of.
pfonsecaAug 25, 2016
This is the most amazing story ever told in a movie I ever saw in my life! From time to time I do need to review it to regain confidence in human life!
henryesparzaSep 5, 2016
The first time you watch this movie, it is an easy 10/10. No question about it. The relationship the characters build up makes you absolutely love every single one of them. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman blow it out of the park.
10/10 One of
10/10 One of my favorite movies of all time.
ThreeboxIndoorsDec 26, 2016
Easily one of the best films of all time. The story, the characters, the acting, the pacing, all of it is top-notch. It has such a heartwarming ending, and a plot twist which will make you want to re-watch it many times. There are some veryEasily one of the best films of all time. The story, the characters, the acting, the pacing, all of it is top-notch. It has such a heartwarming ending, and a plot twist which will make you want to re-watch it many times. There are some very suspenseful scenes, some terrifying scenes, and some heartwarming ones. There is a great message saying that you should never fear anything, and there is always hope no matter what the situation is. You can see the anger on Andy's face, an innocent man convicted of a murder he didn't commit, and now he has to live in a hell he doesn't deserve to be in. But due to that satisfying plot twist, when you watch this movie again, his character becomes even more interesting and the entire movie feels different. This also has to be one of the most well-shot films out there, and it's the same thing with the editing. It is also one of the best films of all time, a great classic, and i'm going to give it a 10/10. Expand
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
This movie makes being cliche look badass, and is so well constructed on top of that, you pretty much have to give it credit as one of the movie masterpieces of our time. But seriously, it's not the greatest movie ever made *cough*imdb*cough*
Serrao_BrochadoJun 18, 2012
The Shawshank Redemption tells us about friendship and loyalty in a context where nobody can trust anyone because, as we know, in the prisons the fittest are the stronger ones. Our best friend today can be our worst enemy tomorrow. Moreover,The Shawshank Redemption tells us about friendship and loyalty in a context where nobody can trust anyone because, as we know, in the prisons the fittest are the stronger ones. Our best friend today can be our worst enemy tomorrow. Moreover, it is one of those movies that makes clear how far an intelligent man can go. Only the most cynical can remain indifferent! Expand
ConnorCMar 9, 2010
The greatest movie in the world may have been depressing in some parts, but it has such a good story. The seven ocars it was nominated for, should have been won to it.
5 of 6 users found this helpful
troypJan 2, 2010
The shawshank redemption is a brilliant film that is beautifly acted with and insiring and uplifting message message of hope. in my opiniun the film should have at least one oscar to show for it's brilliance. it is truly sad that know The shawshank redemption is a brilliant film that is beautifly acted with and insiring and uplifting message message of hope. in my opiniun the film should have at least one oscar to show for it's brilliance. it is truly sad that know one could see how superior shawshank is to the wearisome forrest gump. i think that if shawshank had been realeased more recently it would have hands down won best picture it is one of the few films that are worthy of being called perfect Expand
3 of 4 users found this helpful
DarylDec 15, 2011
Dear God what a film this, i watched this for the first time and the end was the best moment in a film ever. This film once again shows Morgan Freeman's immense talent.
EleniFeb 2, 2012
www.unsungfilms.com, by Eleni Antonaropoulou
Just to get things straight, when Pandora opened the box, all evils were released into the world but Hope. Hope remained in the box. So, if Pandora wasnâ
JuanoloApr 1, 2012
This is a 10 out of 10. This is one of the greatest, and one of my favorite movies of all time. Acting is phenomenal. Especially by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. Score is good. The story is really, really good. It can be sad, it can beThis is a 10 out of 10. This is one of the greatest, and one of my favorite movies of all time. Acting is phenomenal. Especially by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. Score is good. The story is really, really good. It can be sad, it can be cheerful, its just great. This movie is the most robbed movie ever in the oscars. Deserved at least a few awards,in my opinion Best picture. Overall, this is an amazing movie. It just breathtaking how good it is. You really, really need to see this movie. You won't be disappointed. This is highly, highly recommended. Expand
TheNewSpielbergMay 2, 2011
One of my favorite movies of all time. One of the best feel good movies around and also a dramatic masterpiece. A nice break from the horror adaptations of Stephen Kings books.
OscarOrNotDec 27, 2011
One of the greatest prison movies of all time (along with The Green Mile), and one of the greatest movies of all time in General. The performances are stellar, the plot is sensational and moving. The Shawshank Redemption is Morgan Freeman'sOne of the greatest prison movies of all time (along with The Green Mile), and one of the greatest movies of all time in General. The performances are stellar, the plot is sensational and moving. The Shawshank Redemption is Morgan Freeman's masterpiece. As the cover says, "Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free." Expand
JacquiC.Jul 4, 2007
A seriously good film bringing more meaning into how important life out of prison really is and yet how scary anything all the way to being a grocer assistant can be, especially for ex-cons. This movie was studied by my English class in high A seriously good film bringing more meaning into how important life out of prison really is and yet how scary anything all the way to being a grocer assistant can be, especially for ex-cons. This movie was studied by my English class in high school everything even down to the lighting cues and the heightened sounds resembles power: who can dominate and who can't. Outstanding Movie, stinks that they had to add the extra bit at the end, the original ending was way better. but fine, shows you that critics comments do play vital parts on a movies wellbeing. Expand
LindaC.Mar 4, 2006
Simply the best movie ever. Perfect!
WilliamTJan 7, 2008
Brings Stephen King's novella to life and even better. The Shawshank Redemption is a fantastic movie and rightfully belongs in the list of The Greatest Movies of all time.
ReeceDMar 25, 2009
Although it does seem to go on for too long, there is that much to it that you miss some of it on the first time you watch it. The ending isn't clear until it actually happens, whereas in most films you can usually guess what will Although it does seem to go on for too long, there is that much to it that you miss some of it on the first time you watch it. The ending isn't clear until it actually happens, whereas in most films you can usually guess what will happen. The cleverness behind it all still amazes me every time I watch it. Expand
SophieBOct 7, 2007
This is my favourite movie of all time. I absolutely adore it.
RobinMay 8, 2007
Lots of different issues can be raised from this one movie; corruption, the judicial system, prison life, life after prison, love, human rights, education, determination, hope, security.....the movie is full of meaning. Dufresne the Lots of different issues can be raised from this one movie; corruption, the judicial system, prison life, life after prison, love, human rights, education, determination, hope, security.....the movie is full of meaning. Dufresne the character, is so interesting, it makes the movie an interesting watch. Expand
KeirB.Jul 12, 2008
"The Shawshank Redemption" is one of those rare films that ages better with time. People talk about this film more now than when it was released in 1994. The acting, writing, cinematography, direction, music, editing and everything else "The Shawshank Redemption" is one of those rare films that ages better with time. People talk about this film more now than when it was released in 1994. The acting, writing, cinematography, direction, music, editing and everything else makes this as close to a perfect film as you can get. The themes of redemption, fear, and ultimately hope are universal. "Forrest Gump" is a great film, but this SHOULD have won Best Picture. Unforgettable and beautiful. Expand
CallumWDec 3, 2009
This film is the pinnacle of entertainment. This is raw acting with no special effects yet it's better than most films that come out today because the performances. Completely essential. Plus, I love the ending as it is one of the This film is the pinnacle of entertainment. This is raw acting with no special effects yet it's better than most films that come out today because the performances. Completely essential. Plus, I love the ending as it is one of the greatest twists in cinema. Expand
RobSJul 13, 2009
I laugh at people that denote this move, "over-rated." I have seen some high quality movies through my long journey with life, and Shawshank Redemption is by far the best I have ever had the privilege of having a gander at. The twists and I laugh at people that denote this move, "over-rated." I have seen some high quality movies through my long journey with life, and Shawshank Redemption is by far the best I have ever had the privilege of having a gander at. The twists and turns of the movie inspire and transpire emotions that can only be explained through high production values and excellent writing. The musical score is on par with some of the best films every created. It's too bad some folk resort to hating on popular films, no matter how great, for the sake of being rebellious towards the movie. Expand
markoJul 16, 2009
Some say it goes on too long, i say it was too short... in a word, beautiful.
JanDSep 7, 2009
"The Shawshank Redemption" is one of those rare films, where you can tell from the opening credits, the first chords of the soundtrack and the first voice-over line from Morgan Freeman, that you're about to witness a movie of "The Shawshank Redemption" is one of those rare films, where you can tell from the opening credits, the first chords of the soundtrack and the first voice-over line from Morgan Freeman, that you're about to witness a movie of exceptional quality. The story, the characters, the accompanying (and at times) solemn soundtrack: each component strengthens and supports the other, the grand total making it an excellent movie. Love it or hate it: It's the stuff that classics are made of. Expand
zackmJan 2, 2010
The movie is brilliantly acted with and equally well written screenplay and plot. it has an inspiring message of hope and a suprising twist at the end. so benny m. you can screw yourself OKAY!!!!!
JackGApr 24, 2010
Shawshank Redemption is one of the greatest films of all time, and certainly the greatest picture I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. The storyline takes you from rock bottom to possibly the most rewarding, perfect ending ever - Shawshank Redemption is one of the greatest films of all time, and certainly the greatest picture I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. The storyline takes you from rock bottom to possibly the most rewarding, perfect ending ever - without being tacky or direct; the film is an eloquent masterpiece, and one you will never forget. Expand
Spielberg00Nov 14, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: #1-ranked masterpiece on IMDbâ Expand
danielprinnJan 23, 2012
A film about hope. It is definitely one of the greatest prison films of all time. The movie delivers great messages and displays concepts, like the concept of justice, very well. Freeman and Robbins both deliver great performances, and bothA film about hope. It is definitely one of the greatest prison films of all time. The movie delivers great messages and displays concepts, like the concept of justice, very well. Freeman and Robbins both deliver great performances, and both portray seemingly likable characters. This film is just very well written and just overall an excellent production. Expand
CrusardJul 21, 2012
Epic win! Every time I watch it I still get nervous during the roof scene, the beatings, and the escape. This film pulls you into another place and time and it creates a memory that you can revisit. Perfection.
RagingFerretJun 28, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is definitely one of the best ever made. It may not be a film for everyone, especially if you are more of a hardcore action kind of person, but even if you are this is such an inspirational film that you should really try it. The plot is a bit obvious, you can definitely tell that the main character was going to get away somehow, but it doesn't matter because all the little twists, or unexpected actions make it riveting anyway. Expand
PrincethadonMar 23, 2014
I used to say fight club was my favorite movie but now I say shawshank is my favorite movie. I love a movie about hope. Not many movies can pull hope off like this one. if you are going through a hard time you should watch this movie I sayI used to say fight club was my favorite movie but now I say shawshank is my favorite movie. I love a movie about hope. Not many movies can pull hope off like this one. if you are going through a hard time you should watch this movie I say this is my favorite movie. I give this movie a 10 out of 10. Thanks for reading. Expand
Jedi_JettsonDec 23, 2011
The greatest movie set in a prison I've ever seen! Its full of courage from Tim Robbins to survive prison and no matter what the differences between him and Morgan Freeman and all the other prisoners, no matter what violence comes up, noThe greatest movie set in a prison I've ever seen! Its full of courage from Tim Robbins to survive prison and no matter what the differences between him and Morgan Freeman and all the other prisoners, no matter what violence comes up, no matter their crimes, no matter what crazy or illegal things they have to do to survive prison, no matter what the warden does to Tim Robbins, together prison is awesome and they can redeem themselves. Movies like this show what would happen if prisoners accept people's differences and redeem themselves from their crimes and that's good thing because people don't need to act like idiots in prison. Despite the graphic violence in this movie in the beginning, Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman used friendship to forget prison and made each other good people and they were great people! Whoever does NOT like this movie is a bully and needs lighten up because this is a light-heart movie of teaching you the lessons of prison. Expand
FopeFilmGeekJun 3, 2012
Powerful, emotionally satisfying, and thought-provoking, "The Shawshank Redemption" is a timeless classic that gets better with every viewing. It has a profound message about hope, and is truly wonderful to behold. "The ShawshankPowerful, emotionally satisfying, and thought-provoking, "The Shawshank Redemption" is a timeless classic that gets better with every viewing. It has a profound message about hope, and is truly wonderful to behold. "The Shawshank Redemption" is the best movie of all time. Expand
AimzNov 20, 2007
Grim though an uplifting movie... an amazing like fairytale of incarceration and emancipation. Brillant! Morgan freeman is an absolute legend.
JessB.Sep 22, 2007
This movie is the one that if I see a 1/2 second on TV, I can't change the channel. Morgan Freeman is incredible, his best preformance I have seen from him. Tim Robbins plays Andy well as a man suffering the "time and pressure aspect of This movie is the one that if I see a 1/2 second on TV, I can't change the channel. Morgan Freeman is incredible, his best preformance I have seen from him. Tim Robbins plays Andy well as a man suffering the "time and pressure aspect of prison. The supporting cast is so good. They really make the movie a great success. Should be among the top 100 of all time. Expand
EH.Mar 8, 2008
This is one the most watchable movies of all times. Morgan Freeman is miraculous.
D.J.SkippenSep 16, 2008
Good.
TroyB.Oct 24, 2008
Best all time. Everytime you watch it you find more to like about it.
MuhammadZ.Jun 28, 2008
Quietly moving, yet startlingly beautiful, this tale of a man's quest for redemption and the incontrovertible power of hope is, without a doubt, one of the finest cinematic achievements of the modern age.
NF123Sep 1, 2010
A good Movie no doubt, but a very overrated Movie. There's no moral ambiguity, everyones either good or evil and many people fit into the the stereotypes of prison life. For example will there ever be a prison where you're actually safe inA good Movie no doubt, but a very overrated Movie. There's no moral ambiguity, everyones either good or evil and many people fit into the the stereotypes of prison life. For example will there ever be a prison where you're actually safe in the showers, or the guards are helpful instead of almost comically evil. There are many flaws here but there's also a lot to love. While the ending was smarmy, the middle contains my personal favorite scene, the man released who wants to go back as he has nothing to live for out in the real world. A pigeon who helped him get by in Prison can't help him where he's going and it's a beautiful scene to say the least. A great movie weighed down by it's own obsession to try and tear jerk us would be my summary of my thoughts. Collapse
ERG1008Aug 23, 2010
Banker gets two life sentences for killing his wife & her lover, quiet in jail, gets beaten up, makes friends with "fixer", does the books for the guards, upsets prison boss, prison boss makes things unpleasant....
Terrific film which I had
Terrific film which I had never seen all the way through. Quality acting throughout from all the cast (Clancy Brown is scary whatever he plays) & it really does drag you in from the start.
It's funny, tragic & heart warming, very well written & a film you could go back to again & again.
muzzikloverOct 7, 2011
Probably one of the best films I have ever seen in my young life. Giving this a 10 won't do it justice. The Shawshank Redemption is just pure story telling at its best. No wasted moments and no pause of time ,just absolute, pure narrative.Probably one of the best films I have ever seen in my young life. Giving this a 10 won't do it justice. The Shawshank Redemption is just pure story telling at its best. No wasted moments and no pause of time ,just absolute, pure narrative. The cast is perfect with Morgan Freeman as Red completely stealing the show with his soothing narration style while Tim Robbins gives out a really great performance; a falsely convicted man who keeps it to himself. A film about hope and friendship in the toughest of situations, Shawshank is uplifting, provocative and awe inspiring. An absolute must watch. Expand
JamesNWAFeb 3, 2011
I can see why people have voted this their all-time favourite movie. I was actually amazed that by the time the credits rolled at the end that I had been sitting there for over 2 hours. The time flied by very fast. Tim Robbins and MorganI can see why people have voted this their all-time favourite movie. I was actually amazed that by the time the credits rolled at the end that I had been sitting there for over 2 hours. The time flied by very fast. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman were fantastic and were very convincing in their roles. Freeman's voiceovers throughout truly made me, as a viewer, understand what he and the other prisoners were feeling and going through. The story was adapted extremely well from Stephen King's novella and is a story in which many meanings can be taken from it. Easily a film that I will watch over and over again. Expand
reveiwmanmysterFeb 6, 2011
Wow. this movie is so good that i can't even describe it. How emotionally attached at the end of the film it almost made me cry. It is by far the best Morgan freeman movie ever. One of the greatest films of all time. They way that theWow. this movie is so good that i can't even describe it. How emotionally attached at the end of the film it almost made me cry. It is by far the best Morgan freeman movie ever. One of the greatest films of all time. They way that the director per-trades the way prison is is incredible. The way of how friendship is so powerful. Expand
MoeYazAug 11, 2012
This truly is a masterpiece. And not much more needs to be said than that. If you haven't seen this yet, you are missing out on one of filming's finest moments.
CursedKnight187Jul 25, 2012
A beautifully personal film with fantastic acting and a well crafted story makes this film deserved of all the praise it has received over the years. It really should have won Best Picture.
Jay1983Jul 6, 2011
Im not gonna claim this is the best movie ever made, but its close.
The story sucks you in, and yes, it is quite a long movie but you really dont notice it at all. It grips you and doesnt let go until the very end.
This is an absolute
Im not gonna claim this is the best movie ever made, but its close.

This is an absolute classic film and deserves to be seen by anyone even remotely interested in movies.
kldc31Jan 9, 2012
FIlmsareawesomeAug 30, 2011
This movie is completely amazing, everything was perfect, and the ending, the way he escaped jail, just fantastic, original, awesome with great performances, Morgan Freeman just kicked ass in this film, Frank Darabont was able to write suchThis movie is completely amazing, everything was perfect, and the ending, the way he escaped jail, just fantastic, original, awesome with great performances, Morgan Freeman just kicked ass in this film, Frank Darabont was able to write such an amazing story, so I' am very happy with the final result of this movie. Expand
ChappyStickSep 24, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. no words that i can think of even comes close of how amazing this movie really is. its funny, thrilling and bone chilling. what i really love about this movie is that you really feel for the characters as if they were family. when brookes committed suicide i was holding on a pillow shouting NOOOOO. best movie i have ever seen. no movie comes close to this masterpiece. not godfarther, LOTR, goodfellas, star wars, or indiana jones. a perfect movie. Expand
ExTrEmESpAnKzApr 6, 2012
Great movie with fantastic performances by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. My all time favourite and a film that you will not easily forget. If ou really want a film whereas you gain a real connection to the characters than this is the film for you.
Mordovan89Mar 1, 2014
Wonderful, amazing, glorious, are three words to describe this masterpiece. The acting was good, and the plot better. This film shows us the strength of the human spirit, true friendship and especially what we all crave, desire and trustWonderful, amazing, glorious, are three words to describe this masterpiece. The acting was good, and the plot better. This film shows us the strength of the human spirit, true friendship and especially what we all crave, desire and trust dnifíciles situations, hope. Expand
diogomendesJul 26, 2015
Thanks to remarkable direction, all-star performances from the cast and a powerfully moving script, "The Shawshank Redemption" is not only marvelous entertainment but also a stunning achievement for Hollywood.
Viper8787Apr 23, 2014
I can understand why it is one of the highest praised movies of all time because it is one of the best movies of all time. Great cast with amazing chemistry throughout the whole movie. Really well acted and a fantastic storyline keeps youI can understand why it is one of the highest praised movies of all time because it is one of the best movies of all time. Great cast with amazing chemistry throughout the whole movie. Really well acted and a fantastic storyline keeps you into this movie the whole time you watch it. It is one of those feel good stories that you have to like even if you don't like these types of movies. And this movie has one of the best endings in cinema history so this is a definite must watch. Expand
JorisV.Aug 7, 2006
Beautiful. Very good, but not exceptional. 8,5 really.
3 of 8 users found this helpful
brieflyJul 22, 2013
I've never understood the love given to this pile of prison cliches. Yes, the leads are good actors, but that doesn't make the movie much better. I read an Esquire poll once that listed this as one of the male voters' top 10 movies of allI've never understood the love given to this pile of prison cliches. Yes, the leads are good actors, but that doesn't make the movie much better. I read an Esquire poll once that listed this as one of the male voters' top 10 movies of all time, and after the listing, Esquire wrote (huh?) couldn't agree more. Expand
PeterAug 25, 2010
its completely flawless!!! after watching this movie recently on my computer, i cried. i cried not because it was sad, but because it was suck a beautiful and perfect movie. i really dont see why it didnt get best picture, i will admit thatits completely flawless!!! after watching this movie recently on my computer, i cried. i cried not because it was sad, but because it was suck a beautiful and perfect movie. i really dont see why it didnt get best picture, i will admit that forrest gump was a very good movie that i almost cried from watching (because it was sad), but its not better than shawshank. there was 1 thing that the movie didnt need (Brooks out of jail), but it did add a new and important theme, so i guess i take that back. yea, this movie is perfect Expand
AkelaarDec 13, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion this movie is really overrated. No real emotional scenes and the worst part of this movie is its "Happy End" in its pink colors. I hardly rate it 4/10. Expand
RoryP.Jul 13, 2008
Overrated.
2 of 9 users found this helpful
JLeighJun 25, 2015
The most over rated film of all time, riddled with plot holes and plagued with sloppy scripting. Not terrible, but not worth watching unless you have a morbid curiosity to see what the fuss is all about and certainly not worth a second viewing.
ChristianityOct 10, 2015
This film is awful simply because the bad guy, the prison governor or warden , is a "devout" Christian. A genuine devout Christian would not force the Holy book on anyone or have such a character! This film is to braiwash the masses, this isThis film is awful simply because the bad guy, the prison governor or warden , is a "devout" Christian. A genuine devout Christian would not force the Holy book on anyone or have such a character! This film is to braiwash the masses, this is why it got such a high status among the satanists who run this industry. Typical Holywood industry BS demonising Christianity and none bats an eyelid! Could holywood ve make a film where the Christian is the good guy and the muslim or jew are the bad guy? Oh no, if it was made it wouldnt be released, if it was released there would be a huge cry of lack of PC. Christians all over think this is a good movie! Christians cant not see the wood for the trees because they have been mind programmed to follow the herd of imbeciles bred to comsume and make the 1% theri master. Holywood is evil. Wake up folks. Expand
andreekaMar 6, 2015
the worst film ever made.the character is dull, the story are pretty mediocre. just pointless for 2.5 hours. it waste my time. i really dont understand why people vote this rubbish so highly