9.2

1. Nov 3, 2010
    One of the best movies of all time. Don't deprive yourself of the pleasure of watching such a stellar movie. Go now and watch this movie if you have never seen it. Perfect casting, amazing story, emotional performances. Just perfect.
  2. Dec 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, so, so good. The adaptation of the Stephen King novel is so entertaining, filled with interesting dialogue and plot twists. A pretty much perfect prison film. Great performances by Robbins and Freeman. One moment really got to me: the moment when Andy crawls out of the sewer tunnel and stares up at the sky in the rain. Such a glorious moment of triumph, I wanted to stand up and scream "Yes!". This movie truly depicted that prison life in the fifties was just as hard for new prisoners as it is implied today. The movie didn't sugar coat Andy's prison life. A great movie full of great writing and performances that the first time you watch it, it will instantly be fortified as a great movie classic. Expand
  3. Sep 10, 2011
    "Shawshank Redemption", a sensational movie containing a strong plot, powerful performances, and the ultimate theme of good and evil, is a masterpiece.
  4. Aug 27, 2010
    This movie makes being cliche look badass, and is so well constructed on top of that, you pretty much have to give it credit as one of the movie masterpieces of our time. But seriously, it's not the greatest movie ever made *cough*imdb*cough*
  5. Jun 18, 2012
    The Shawshank Redemption tells us about friendship and loyalty in a context where nobody can trust anyone because, as we know, in the prisons the fittest are the stronger ones. Our best friend today can be our worst enemy tomorrow. Moreover, it is one of those movies that makes clear how far an intelligent man can go. Only the most cynical can remain indifferent!
  6. May 2, 2011
    One of my favorite movies of all time. One of the best feel good movies around and also a dramatic masterpiece. A nice break from the horror adaptations of Stephen Kings books.
  7. Dec 27, 2011
    One of the greatest prison movies of all time (along with The Green Mile), and one of the greatest movies of all time in General. The performances are stellar, the plot is sensational and moving. The Shawshank Redemption is Morgan Freeman's masterpiece. As the cover says, "Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free."
  8. Aug 25, 2010
    its completely flawless!!! after watching this movie recently on my computer, i cried. i cried not because it was sad, but because it was suck a beautiful and perfect movie. i really dont see why it didnt get best picture, i will admit that forrest gump was a very good movie that i almost cried from watching (because it was sad), but its not better than shawshank. there was 1 thing that the movie didnt need (Brooks out of jail), but it did add a new and important theme, so i guess i take that back. yea, this movie is perfect Expand
  9. Aug 23, 2010
    Banker gets two life sentences for killing his wife & her lover, quiet in jail, gets beaten up, makes friends with "fixer", does the books for the guards, upsets prison boss, prison boss makes things unpleasant....
    Terrific film which I had never seen all the way through. Quality acting throughout from all the cast (Clancy Brown is scary whatever he plays) & it really does drag you in from
    the start.
    It's funny, tragic & heart warming, very well written & a film you could go back to again & again.
  10. Oct 7, 2011
    Probably one of the best films I have ever seen in my young life. Giving this a 10 won't do it justice. The Shawshank Redemption is just pure story telling at its best. No wasted moments and no pause of time ,just absolute, pure narrative. The cast is perfect with Morgan Freeman as Red completely stealing the show with his soothing narration style while Tim Robbins gives out a really great performance; a falsely convicted man who keeps it to himself. A film about hope and friendship in the toughest of situations, Shawshank is uplifting, provocative and awe inspiring. An absolute must watch. Expand
  11. Feb 3, 2011
    I can see why people have voted this their all-time favourite movie. I was actually amazed that by the time the credits rolled at the end that I had been sitting there for over 2 hours. The time flied by very fast. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman were fantastic and were very convincing in their roles. Freeman's voiceovers throughout truly made me, as a viewer, understand what he and the other prisoners were feeling and going through. The story was adapted extremely well from Stephen King's novella and is a story in which many meanings can be taken from it. Easily a film that I will watch over and over again. Expand
  12. Feb 6, 2011
    Wow. this movie is so good that i can't even describe it. How emotionally attached at the end of the film it almost made me cry. It is by far the best Morgan freeman movie ever. One of the greatest films of all time. They way that the director per-trades the way prison is is incredible. The way of how friendship is so powerful.
  13. Aug 11, 2012
    This truly is a masterpiece. And not much more needs to be said than that. If you haven't seen this yet, you are missing out on one of filming's finest moments.
  14. Jul 25, 2012
    A beautifully personal film with fantastic acting and a well crafted story makes this film deserved of all the praise it has received over the years. It really should have won Best Picture.
  15. Jul 6, 2011
    Im not gonna claim this is the best movie ever made, but its close.
    The story sucks you in, and yes, it is quite a long movie but you really dont notice it at all. It grips you and doesnt let go until the very end.

This is an absolute classic film and deserves to be seen by anyone even remotely interested in movies.
  16. Jan 9, 2012
    The greatest movie set in a prison I've ever seen! Its full of courage from Tim Robbins to survive prison and no matter what the differences between him and Morgan Freeman and all the other prisoners, no matter what violence comes up, no matter their crimes, no matter what crazy or illegal things they have to do to survive prison, no matter what the warden does to Tim Robbins, together prison is awesome and they can redeem themselves. Movies like this show what would happen if prisoners accept people's differences and redeem themselves from their crimes and that's good thing because people don't need to act like idiots in prison. Despite the graphic violence in this movie in the beginning, Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman used friendship to forget prison and made each other good people and they were great people! Whoever does NOT like this movie is a bully and needs lighten up because this is a light-heart movie of teaching you the lessons of prison. Expand
  17. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: #1-ranked masterpiece on IMDbâ Expand
  18. Aug 30, 2011
    This movie is completely amazing, everything was perfect, and the ending, the way he escaped jail, just fantastic, original, awesome with great performances, Morgan Freeman just kicked ass in this film, Frank Darabont was able to write such an amazing story, so I' am very happy with the final result of this movie.
  19. Apr 6, 2012
    Great movie with fantastic performances by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. My all time favourite and a film that you will not easily forget. If ou really want a film whereas you gain a real connection to the characters than this is the film for you.
  20. Dec 23, 2011
  21. Dec 15, 2011
    Dear God what a film this, i watched this for the first time and the end was the best moment in a film ever. This film once again shows Morgan Freeman's immense talent.
  22. Feb 2, 2012
    www.unsungfilms.com, by Eleni Antonaropoulou
    Just to get things straight, when Pandora opened the box, all evils were released into the world but Hope. Hope remained in the box. So, if Pandora wasnâ
  23. Jan 23, 2012
    A film about hope. It is definitely one of the greatest prison films of all time. The movie delivers great messages and displays concepts, like the concept of justice, very well. Freeman and Robbins both deliver great performances, and both portray seemingly likable characters. This film is just very well written and just overall an excellent production.
  24. Apr 1, 2012
    This is a 10 out of 10. This is one of the greatest, and one of my favorite movies of all time. Acting is phenomenal. Especially by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. Score is good. The story is really, really good. It can be sad, it can be cheerful, its just great. This movie is the most robbed movie ever in the oscars. Deserved at least a few awards,in my opinion Best picture. Overall, this is an amazing movie. It just breathtaking how good it is. You really, really need to see this movie. You won't be disappointed. This is highly, highly recommended. Expand
  25. Jun 3, 2012
    Powerful, emotionally satisfying, and thought-provoking, "The Shawshank Redemption" is a timeless classic that gets better with every viewing. It has a profound message about hope, and is truly wonderful to behold. "The Shawshank Redemption" is the best movie of all time.
  26. Jul 21, 2012
    Epic win! Every time I watch it I still get nervous during the roof scene, the beatings, and the escape. This film pulls you into another place and time and it creates a memory that you can revisit. Perfection.
  27. Jun 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is definitely one of the best ever made. It may not be a film for everyone, especially if you are more of a hardcore action kind of person, but even if you are this is such an inspirational film that you should really try it. The plot is a bit obvious, you can definitely tell that the main character was going to get away somehow, but it doesn't matter because all the little twists, or unexpected actions make it riveting anyway. Expand
  28. Jan 17, 2013
    Very good movie. There are no words to describe how good this movie is.
  29. Apr 14, 2013
    The best. Astonishing. Superb. Well-acted, well-directed movie by one of my favorite directors was supposed to win much more awards. It deserved much more attention at the time but, no matter at all. Day by day people know it, understand it and realize it.
  30. Sep 1, 2010
    A good Movie no doubt, but a very overrated Movie. There's no moral ambiguity, everyones either good or evil and many people fit into the the stereotypes of prison life. For example will there ever be a prison where you're actually safe in the showers, or the guards are helpful instead of almost comically evil. There are many flaws here but there's also a lot to love. While the ending was smarmy, the middle contains my personal favorite scene, the man released who wants to go back as he has nothing to live for out in the real world. A pigeon who helped him get by in Prison can't help him where he's going and it's a beautiful scene to say the least. A great movie weighed down by it's own obsession to try and tear jerk us would be my summary of my thoughts. Expand
  31. Nov 8, 2011
    This movie is about a prisoner Andy Dufresne (Tim Robins) who gets accused of murdering his wife and her lover. He meets another prisoner named 'Red' (Morgan freeman) who says he know how to get things. How ironic, a â
  32. Aug 17, 2011
    This is one of my top 10
  33. Feb 24, 2011
    This movie is outstanding! It was very entertaining and had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It didn't have all the key elements sadly but other than that, GREAT! thats all i have to say. if you know more about it, look at the 9 and above reviews. They know what they're talking about.
  34. May 24, 2013
    Based on a short, non-horror, novel by Stephen King The Shawshank Redemption tells the story of Andy Dufresne, a young banker sentenced to life imprisonment for apparently murdering his wife and her lover.

Shawshank Prison is a depressing place where brutality from guards and other prisoners is commonplace. With help from friend Red (the brilliant Morgan Freeman) he is able to gradually
    win both prisoners and guards over to his side. Above all this movie is a story of hope but the brilliant central relationship between Andy and Red lifts it well above virtually any other film. Add that to top notch production values and a fantastically satisfying ending and you have one of the best movies in cinema history. Expand
  35. Sep 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. no words that i can think of even comes close of how amazing this movie really is. its funny, thrilling and bone chilling. what i really love about this movie is that you really feel for the characters as if they were family. when brookes committed suicide i was holding on a pillow shouting NOOOOO. best movie i have ever seen. no movie comes close to this masterpiece. not godfarther, LOTR, goodfellas, star wars, or indiana jones. a perfect movie. Expand
  36. Sep 28, 2011
    I don't like the Shawshank Redemption. It's a bunch of guys sitting around in prison listening to classical music. Most of them, with the exception of the protagonist, are murderers and scumbags. I don't feel any sympathy for them. Then you get to the end and there's some hokey fairytale ending where the two guys meet up on some sunny picturesque beach and it's all smiles and rainbows and **** What's to like?

Now, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy movies with people who've done bad things. There are plenty of anti-heroes in good films, like "Leon" for example. Or, The Professional if you will. The film was originally titled Leon in France but then changed to The Professional when it came over to America. I guess because they figured that American audiences wouldn't be interested in seeing a movie titled Leon, they'd just miss out on what the film was really about.

I think the difference in something like "Leon" is that while he's an assassin for hire, he's only going out and killing other drug dealers and corrupt cops and people who are as vile or worse. There's a code he follows. So it's like the lesser of two evils, you can relate with him because he's better then the people he combats. Same with Batman, he's a vigilante and thus a criminal, but he follows a code and commits violence against those even worse then he is. While in Shawshank... the convicts are imprisoned for committing crimes against innocent people, we assume. We don't really find out the specific circumstances, but it's generally understood that these people were not committing crimes against even worse human beings.

So this aura of reverence and love for the film has always mystified me. I'm not going to say it's a bad film. The cinematography and acting all seem fairly competent. But it just didn't do anything for me. I felt bored by it. And ya know, listening to people hyping it up to be one of the greatest films ever made didn't help either. It's number one on IMDB's top 250 greatest, for God's sake. And there're plenty of people out there who'll tell you it should've won Best Picture over Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump. Me, I'm of the opinion Forrest Gump rightfully deserved the award. Forrest Gump, now there was a film that really moved me and touched me deep down inside.
  37. Apr 13, 2013
    Perhaps it can be frowned upon to view a prison drama in such high regard, it may indeed paint a false picture of real life situations, but at the end of the day, the entertainment value and lasting effect of The Shawshank Redemption, a truly emotional discovery and, well, redemption.
    Everything aside, the film is simply about a friendship under the most unorthodox of circumstances.
    Andy
    Dufresne (Tim Robbins) is locked up in Shawshank prison in 1947, being convicted of murdering his wife and her lover. He is initially given a hard time as being the new guy, but his generally laid back attitude catch the attention of Red (Morgan Freeman).
    As Andy and Red get to know each other, Red soon realises that perhaps there is more than meets the eye with his new acquaintance, as Andy slowly begins to change the lives of the people closest to him. Unfortunately as time goes on, Andy's impatience starts with his life inside starts to show, he seems more reckless and outspoken, regardless of how he has made small but significant changes to the prison itself and of course its inmates.
    We are left to watch Andy's journey through the wonderful narration of Morgan Freeman's Red, who is constantly but pleasantly surprised at Andy's personality and reactions to his surroundings. The true friendship lies where these two are completely different, Red has made peace with his situation, accepting his fate and serving life, but Andy is determined to "Get busy living".
    Tim Robbins perfectly portrays a character who is purposely isolated from everyone, he can very much take care of himself and show is intelligence and cunning nature at many shining moments in this remarkable film. Morgan Freeman is very much the good guy who followed the wrong path, he gets on with almost everyone who is worth getting on with and doesn't cause trouble, apart from being the "go to' guy in the prison.
    The word perfect could indeed give the justice this movie deserves. The cinematography by Roger Deakins is powerful and absorbing, he is always trying to make you become part of the walls that these prisoners call home, his various shots including a few prisoners sitting on top of the roof in the early morning drinking beer and another when Andy manages to play Mozart through the tannoy system speaks waves to the capabilities not necessarily by the actors, but to the scenery that they are surrounded by, and it is truly breathtaking.
    It's just a show that is too good to miss, it emerged out of nowhere and really hit home on an emotional level, there is no action in it, simply life lessons that need to be heard, each character has a vibrant role to play that will make us concerning of their situations, and Frank Darabont has created a perfectly diverse cast to blend in with this masterful and commanding film.
  38. Dec 15, 2011
    An 80 overall by critics shows how stupid they are. Shawshank Redemption is an amazing film that is a must see for any film buff. Untouchable performanc by Tim Robbins and a great supporting role by Morgan Freeman.
  39. Dec 28, 2012
    This movie so perfect shows a brilliant story of redemption, friendship, hard work and both the beauty and the corruption of the human race, that is hard to understand how making this was humanly possible.
  40. Apr 5, 2012
    A delightful movie. It is not my favourite movie ever but it is one of those I will never forget. In its genre between 8.5 and 9 for me...there was room for improvement I believe. Great performances of both, Freeman and Robbins...Each character was clearly defined. Although, Freeman tends to play well those characters...because he is always performing similar ones.Yet, I would love to see him doing something a bit more daring. That said, I have no doubts that he is an excellent actor, and I applaud his talent! Expand
  41. Apr 30, 2013
    One of the best movies ever. Period Great movie and story definetly check watching..........................................................................
  42. Jun 27, 2012
    I felt it was the perfect movie. A great movie to watch with a family. Stephen king knows how to make a story. Filled me with emotion such as anger, sadness, happyness. It should have won best picture in 1994.
  43. Aug 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome film. The acting is outstanding, the directing is outstanding, and the plot is compelling and interesting. Only small knock is that the escape felt like a partial copy from the film "Escape From Alcatraz" in the way he tunneled through the wall and wound up surrounded by piping. Nothing worth griping over though, definitely worthy of tons of praise. Expand
  44. Sep 9, 2012
    This is my all time favorite movie. Great story of redemption and justice.
  45. Nov 23, 2012
    Action. Comedy. Drama. This movie is absolutely genius, and makes you feel so many emotions. Superb acting. I am enraged that the reviewers gave this less than 100. #1 movie of all time in my opinion
  46. Sep 26, 2012
    Based on the Stephen King novel by the same name, it's simply the best movie ever made, it should had won best picture in 1994, and all characters performances are incredible. If you haven't watch it, just do it without thinking about it twice.
  47. Sep 27, 2012
    Shawshank Redemption is easily one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. The movie has a great message to it, the acting and filming were fantastic.
  48. Nov 5, 2012
    Aside from the iconic poster-on-the-wall scene, nothing about this movie is all that memorable. A crowd-pleasing story with a message that comes off like a sermon.
  49. Feb 23, 2013
    Morgan Freeman is in it! What more do you need to want to see this movie? Well besides that it`s a classic! It`s one of those movies you can watch over and over, and still be interested.
  50. Nov 28, 2012
    What to say about the "Shawshank Redemption"? I shouldn't really have to say anything because when most people hear about it, they already have a pretty good idea of how incredible it is. This movie is freakin' immaculate. Darabont and Co. have created not only the most inspiring film in ages, but one of the most emotionally significant films to date. The movie teaches things to us that we need to know - messages on hope, perserverance, and friendship - and it does it with marvelous eloquency. By far, one of the greatest films I have ever seen - a master work of art. Expand
  51. Nov 8, 2013
    Such a strong narrative. All the ingredients of what makes a good drama in the right proportions. The goodness inside people in the most Godforsaken places, and the moral corruption some of us could suffer from if given power over condemned people.

You have to make your own mind about Andy, whether he is innocent or not. He believes so, but all evidence points to the contrary. Robbins
    plays him in a subtle, laid-back manner. He's hard to figure out. Then there is Red, played by the masterful Freeman, who is in for the long haul and doesn't know if he is ever going to breathe free air again. These two characters make the heart and soul of the movie.

There may be a message here. Without being overt, we sense as the years of these men's lives are wasted before our eyes, especially Andy since you can't really figure out if he is guilty or not. But the ways he finds to engage himself, do something good.

There is plenty of humour and the drama never exceeds the limit where it might become painful. The action is sparse and is shown in an expository fashion. The tone is objective. And Freeman's voice guides you through every scene. The camera angles used, and the overall cinematography was genius. It was like being guided though a maze by an expert in the field. The dialogue was crisp and refreshing. The score quiet and unobtrusive. The world created, or in this case just the prison, seemed so real and complete. You could feel the inmates' emotions related to the place.

All this may give the impression that it may be hard to sit through it, but quite surprisingly, like all great movies, despite the deep, absorbing discussions about life, the movie speeds through from scene to scene without effort. I had the feeling I have when I'm reading an especially engrossing novel I cannot put down. I guess this is what happens when the work of great directors, screenwriters and cinematographers fuses to deliver a product that exceeds anything that a single department could achieve at its best. This one did not just have effort put into it but also soul.
  52. Dec 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion this movie is really overrated. No real emotional scenes and the worst part of this movie is its "Happy End" in its pink colors. I hardly rate it 4/10. Expand
  53. Jun 12, 2013
    This film is one of my top 3 or 5 films of all-time. I love everything about it, such as the casting, the performances, the storyline, the directing, etc. If you haven't seen this, you are really missing out.
  54. Feb 13, 2013
    Easily in the top 100 movies of all time. Brilliant storytelling and a great insight to the horrors of prison life. The ending is one of my all-time favourites.
  55. Jun 12, 2013
    Has to be the best prison movie ever. Yes, it's even better than the Green Mile. I've been putting off watching this movie forever, thinking it was going to be boring and sappy. But it's far from it. This movie wraps you up in its story and it always feels very real due to superb filmmaking. The acting couldn't get any better, and in the end this is one of the most uplifting movies ever made. Yes it's very long, but it without a doubt justifies its length. Expand
  56. Feb 4, 2013
    One of the best films ever watched. Once sentenced as a criminal(guilty or not) you are criminal! Imprison men 10, 20, 30 years, taking away their lifes and the consequences for the people imprisoned and society are greatly demonstrated by this film. But also the value of friendship, the will NOT to give up and a big dose of genius makes the film nearly perfect.
  57. Oct 11, 2013
    This movie is one of the best movies of all time. Amazing acting by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins, not to mention the story was written by Stephen King. It's sad that this movie didn't get any of the oscars it deserved. The Shawshank Redemption won no oscars because 1994 was the year of Forrest Gump, and Pulp Fiction. Although those two movies were good in its time. The Shawshank Redemption will always be one of the bets movies of all time. Expand
  58. Dec 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Shawshank Redemption is easily one of my all time favorite movies,
    other than the fact that it's written by stephen king, it's also one of his best works.
    tim robins and morgan freeman were born to play these characters, and the story is not just about the life in prison but it's also about friendship and loyalty and you get so attached to these characters that it's leave an impact on you after the movie ends.
    also the escape scene is one of the best scenes in cinema history.
  59. Apr 29, 2013
    Before, I never understood why this movie was #1 on the imdb top 250s list, but now i understand why. This movie was a beautifully crafted story on friendship, redemption and hope. The storyline was really well-crafted, and putting in these unforgettable characters made it even better. From Red to Andy to Norton, they we're all just wonderful and enjoyable characters, especially Red and Andy. The relationship between those two is what really holds the balance of the movie. And putting in characters such as Warden Norton and Captain Hadley makes the story riveting and (in a sense) dark. It's not like any other movie out there. Overall, it's a classic Stephen King story. Expand
  60. May 28, 2013
    The Shawshank Redemption is really overrated it doesn't deserve a 9 it only deserves a 7 and there is a lots of movies that is better than it like Fight club, The prestige etc....
  61. May 30, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant. One of the best movies I have ever seen. Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins were both brilliant in their roles, showing the true meaning of friendship.
  62. Aug 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Shawshank Redemption is a story about a man who goes to jail after they accuse him for killing his wife and her lover. At first when he went to that prison he had problems and they raped him all the time after a while he made probably the best friendship he ever had in that prison. It is an interesting tale about friendship despite the differences of each people my opinion as I think the 'white people' used to have problems with the 'black people'. It will amuse the audience and it will touch you. It is interesting and it keeps you. Morgan freeman as usually he is the narrator. Tim Robbins gave a great performance and in overall The Shawshank Redemption it is a must-watch and probably one of the best of its kind. Expand
  63. Jul 1, 2013
    Perfection. The benchmark of all dramas, this is as good as cinema gets. Everyone should watch it, if you don't find this film moving you basically have no feelings.
  64. Jul 3, 2013
    Few movies can make such an emotional impact on a viewer as this one does. The acting is brilliant and both Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman fit perfectly in their roles. Overall, this is one movie you shouldn't miss!
  65. Jul 6, 2013
    The shawshank redemption is a classic drama which revolves around an innocent man who is imprisoned in a dirty prison. The plot is well developed and character are well played out. The theme is clearly displayed and the director has made very good scenes with symbolic cuts.
  66. Oct 24, 2013
    I never gave myself the time to watch this masterpiece before. It definitely lives up to the hype and praise it got after its release. It deserves a 10 but isn't even the best movie of '94 (see: Pulp Fiction, but it tells a great story. Isn't that what movies are all about?
  67. Aug 31, 2013
    WOW!!! It's without any doubt, one of Darabont's best pictures!!! Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins are brilliant in this film. The only problem is that it didn't win an Oscar. It's nominated for 7. In my opinion, it could have won seven Oscars and more!
  68. Jul 16, 2013
    A truly sensational movie. Not only is there deep and meaningful messages but the story and film itself is incredible. Definitely one of if not the best films of all time
  69. Jul 22, 2013
    I've never understood the love given to this pile of prison cliches. Yes, the leads are good actors, but that doesn't make the movie much better. I read an Esquire poll once that listed this as one of the male voters' top 10 movies of all time, and after the listing, Esquire wrote (huh?) couldn't agree more.
  70. Feb 23, 2014
    Ive always been an action packaged movie watcher, or always watch those movie with mind blowing plot twist, Se7en, Inception, Akira, Seven Samurai, etc. but the first time my mom told me about this movie, i watched at 10 years old, i wasn't prepared to see a movie that good, now im 22 i looked for the name of this movie for decades, i never knew the name of the movie was THE SHAWNSHANK REDEMPTION, the movie my mom always rated at the best of all times, and guess what, is my favorite too and is by far the best movie ever Expand
  71. Sep 15, 2013
    I'm not going to go through a whole review, since there are plenty of reviews detailing why this is the greatest movie of all time. I'm just gonna give a quote: "The Shawshank Redemption is the best movie I have ever seen because of its ability to capture raw emotion." I'm also going to elaborate on the three biggest reasons people dislike this movie. 1. It's too slow. The Shawshank Redemption may be a tad slow, but it is justified. I believe director Frank Darabont wanted to show Andy's time at Shawshank by showing how slow prison time really is. Some movies are just slow; this movie does it for a deeper reason, adding to Shawshank's genius.

2. Andy Dufresne barely shows emotion.

Those people obviously didn't get what kind of character Andy was. Tim Robbins did this on purpose. Andy was quiet, mellow, and was obviously quite shocked and angry he was going to prison for a crime he didn't do. Did you really expect the man to jump up and start singing "Kumbaya"? No! So I don't get what the problem is. The fact that he acted like this just added to the realistic atmosphere of the movie.

3. This is not realistic.

Oh yes your right, since these men in prison smoked, cursed, drank, and kept their eyes peeled in the shower room for potential rapists. That is not realistic at all. (sarcastic) Overall, I think some of the hate on Shawshank is solely because it is the highest rated movie on IMDb, for a fact. (User rating is 9.3 to this date). I think some people hate this movie because everyone else loves it, and that is a bad way to think about anything, not just movies.

I would rate it higher if I could.
  72. Dec 25, 2013
    This movie is one of the best movies ever made, hands down. The acting is incredible, the script is solid, and a great plot. It shows the life of two inmates who bond together in jail over the course of a few decades or whatever. It has all the drama in it that would destroy any who tried to compete against it. Honestly, this film will never be seen as worse.
  73. Mar 2, 2014
    The Shawshank Redemption is on top of IMDb, so I think everything about it has already been said.
    I have just one thing to add: The brutal scenes aren't a bad thing and demonstrate the terrible place, where Andy and Red have to spend theirs lifes.
  74. Nov 12, 2013
    "HOPE IS A GOOD THING. MAYBE THE BEST OF THINGS. AND NO GOOD THING EVER DIES"

Casting was spotty, with Tim Robbins a great choice for the lead character, Dufresne. Robbins maintains viewer interest anytime he is the focus of attention, unfortunately a lot of the screen time is devoted to the narrator, “Red,” (Morgan Freeman) who drops pearls of cracker barrel wisdom a la Waylon
    Jennings’ narration of The Dukes of Hazzard. Morgan Freeman, while a decent enough actor in no way can stimulate my interest for very long with his bland, long-winded, homespun observations on the Dufresne character and prison life in general. I feel that Freeman’s performance was not strong enough to carry the amount of screen time assigned by the director. Bob Gunton, as Warden Norton the bible thumping hypocrite who runs Shawshank is a great asset to the film with his sly characterization of the unlikable tyrant. One of the best supporting roles I’ve seen lately was essayed by James Whitmore, as Brooks, the librarian at Shawshank. Brooks had a pet crow, much like the animal character Mr. Jingles Darabont used in The Green Mile. Brooks was released from Shawshank after about a half-century. Unfortunately, he was unable to adapt to life on the outside. Expand
  75. Dec 3, 2013
    I made my mind to watch this movie in 2012 as most of users recommended on IMDb. I always wonder what could be one thing that makes Shawshank legend of Hollywood movies. Well, I gotta say I found my favorite actor of lifetime after watching it: Morgan Freeman. Every single thing in the movie is 10/10. Story of Stephen King, screenplay, dialogs, drama, suspense, crime and action. I compare Morgan to Amitabh Bachchan of Hollywood. The brief voice of Freeman moves me whenever I heard him. I never gets tired watching it again and again, its that kind of out of this world picture. I still sit back in ave and can't help myself from watching it again and again. Thanks to strong direction and support staff, this makes to top my list all-time. Expand
  76. Dec 5, 2013
    The story of friendship, redemption and hope, what can I say about this great masterpiece, The Best Movie of all time that teach you lots of the meanings of life, tells you to never fear anything and never lose hope, because hope always set you free...
  77. Dec 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The way things happen in movie and how they are directed and captured are awesome.An example for every moviemaker. only "MOVIE" I have seen,I must say!!!!! Expand
  78. Dec 31, 2013
    Needless to say an all time great. One of the few movies you can watch over and over. The acting in incredible, the story is captivating and engaging, and every actor comes through in a big way. A truly wonderful movie. If you have not seen it, you will not be disappointed when you do.
  79. Jan 8, 2014
    Shawshank Redemption is a movie in which you see the great performances of Tim and Morgan.The struggle of hope over despair. One of the best movies of all time or the best movie. It was a great escape for redemption.
  80. Jan 19, 2014
    It may be one of the best movies ever made.really fine acting from morgan freeman and tim robbins . entire cast have done a good job.frank made a successful experiment.
  81. Mar 26, 2014
    The Shawshank Redemption is a powerful film on every level, but seriously overrated. The film was good, but not perfect (Certainly not enough for a 9.3) It was very, very good in fact amazing, but just really overrated. Don't let it stop you from watching the film!---you will find none like it.
  82. Mar 1, 2014
    Wonderful, amazing, glorious, are three words to describe this masterpiece. The acting was good, and the plot better. This film shows us the strength of the human spirit, true friendship and especially what we all crave, desire and trust dnifíciles situations, hope.
  83. Mar 23, 2014
    I used to say fight club was my favorite movie but now I say shawshank is my favorite movie. I love a movie about hope. Not many movies can pull hope off like this one. if you are going through a hard time you should watch this movie I say this is my favorite movie. I give this movie a 10 out of 10. Thanks for reading.
  84. Mar 25, 2014
    it is a movie about life ,hope ,friendship, freedom ,,,,its touch my heart and soul ....this is my one of favorite movie of all time ....and one of great movie of all time...HOPE.....HOPE....morgan freeman ..one of my favorite actor...

It's the no-bull performances that hold back the flood of banalities. Robbins and Freeman connect with the bruised souls of Andy and Red to create something undeniably powerful and moving.
  2. Gripping...compelling.
  3. Some of "The Shawshank Redemption'' comes across as outrageously improbable. Yet the film keeps pulling you back with its sense of striving humanity slowly turning the tables against evil.