Orion Pictures Corporation | Release Date: February 13, 1991
8.9
Universal acclaim based on 466 Ratings
WATCH NOW
20leewJan 17, 2017
I would like to recommend this movie to people. It's old movie, but it still has interesting theme. However, there are some violent expressions. I like it a lot :)
Meth-dudeJan 8, 2017
The acting was good, the movie was intriguing and interesting, the movie was entertaining and it was well made. The Silence of the Lambs definitely is a classic.
PetitBikiniOct 29, 2016
I was really impressed by the acting in this film - it was top notch. Also, the atmosphere was just right amount of creepy to make "The Silence of the Lambs" a great watch.
MovieMasterEdMar 22, 2016
When The Silence of the Lambs took the Academy Awards ceremony by storm in 1992, winning in five major categories (Best Picture, Best Director - Jonathan Demme, Best Actor - Anthony Hopkins, Best Actress - Jodie Foster, and Best AdaptedWhen The Silence of the Lambs took the Academy Awards ceremony by storm in 1992, winning in five major categories (Best Picture, Best Director - Jonathan Demme, Best Actor - Anthony Hopkins, Best Actress - Jodie Foster, and Best Adapted Screenplay - Ted Tally), it beat the odds in more ways than one. Granted, 1991 was a slow year for movies, and many pundits have remarked that the Oscar field was among the weakest ever (the other contenders were Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Bugsy, JFK, and the overrated The Prince of Tides), but the strong showing of The Silence of the Lambs was a surprise to almost everyone. In the first place, it was released in February 1991, a date thought to be beyond the short memories of the Academy members. Secondly, it is a dark psychological thriller - the kind of movie that occasionally receives a Best Picture nomination, but almost never takes home the statuette.

Although The Silence of the Lambs is brilliantly constructed and powerfully acted, and became one of the most recognizable thrillers of the '90s, it was neither the best movie of the year (a citation I would award to Beauty and the Beast) nor even the best thriller (overall, Dead Again impressed me more). The Silence of the Lambs contains a number of inarguably great scenes, but the screenplay, adapted from Thomas Harris' novel, suffers from a split personality. The scenes featuring Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) are the stuff of legends. However, the rest of the movie, which concentrates on the pursuit of serial killer Buffalo Bill (Ted Levine), has a familiar, derivative feel. In truth, the climax couldn't be more mundane.

There is little doubt that the most memorable aspect of The Silence of the Lambs is Anthony Hopkins' incomparable performance as Lecter. Taking over for Brian Cox, who was effective, but not especially memorable, as the good doctor in 1986's Manhunter, Hopkins instantly makes the role his own, capturing and conveying the charismatic essence of pure evil. To his dying day, no matter how many roles he plays in the interim, Hopkins will forever be known for this part. (It is a credit to Hopkins' ability as an actor that this part did not result in stereotyping. His post-Silence career has been greatly varied, with roles as widely diverse as a stodgy butler in Merchant-Ivory's The Remains of the Day and an action hero in The Edge.) I can throw out any number of superlatives, but none of them do justice to this chilling performance, which I labeled as the best acting work of the '90s. Want to feel the icy fingers of terror stroke your heart? Watch this mixture of brilliant eloquence and inhuman cruelty. As portrayed by Hopkins, Hannibal is both a suave, cultured gentleman and an unspeakable fiend. He is gracious and monstrous at the same time. (Hopkins also provided one of the most quotable lines in recent film history with "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti", which was followed by an inimitable slithering slurp.)

The Silence of the Lambs consistently looks good, builds suspense, and does not outstay its welcome. Many two-hour thrillers have dead patches, but that's one characteristic of the genre this movie avoids. Instead of using the common tactic of priming an audience by employing "boo!" moments (fake scares, such as when an animal darts out from behind trash cans), Demme uses what he calls "deceptive cutting" to enhance the tension. There are also little cues that hint at bigger dangers, such as when Clarice receives a nail prick while sliding under the partially-closed door to the garage where she finds Gumb's first victim.

Since its 1991 release, much has been written about The Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal Lecter, Clarice Starling, and the relationship between them. Thomas Harris was so intrigued by the characters that he wrote the sequel, Hannibal, which soared into the top spot on best-seller lists countrywide as soon as it was released. The motion picture follow-up, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Hopkins and Julianne Moore (replacing Foster), is set to open on the 10th anniversary of the release of The Silence of the Lambs. If it's half as involving, it will be a success. The Silence of the Lambs may not have been the best thriller of the year, but it was the most chilling and creepy, and there's no denying that the most celebrated aspect of the film - the Clarice/Hannibal connection - could not have been accomplished with greater skill.
CinemassacreMar 13, 2016
All creative hands are at the top of their form in “The Silence of the Lambs,” a mesmerizing thriller that will grip audiences from first scene to last and generate solid B.O.

Skillful adaptation of Thomas Harris’ bestseller intelligently

Skillful adaptation of Thomas Harris’ bestseller intelligently wallows in the fascination for aberrant psychology and perverse evil, delivering the goods in a way that should electrify critics and mainstream audiences.

The specifics of the murder case in question here a serial killer who partially skins his female vlctims are certainly gruesome, but are handled to generate maximum suspense without descending into the exploitative.

Thoughtful and not debasing, pic takes a compelling, upfront look at sociopathic behavior and government attempts, with varying success, to keep it in check.

Faithfully following the essentials of Harris’ book, playwright Ted Tally’s sharp script charts tenacious efforts of young FBI recruit Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) to cope with the appalling challenges of her first case.

Confounded by a series of grotesque murders committed by someone known only as “Buffalo Bill,” bureau special agent Jack Crawford (Scott Glenn) asks his female protege to seek the help of the American prison system’s No.1 resident monster in fashioning a psychological profile of the killer.

Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) is commonly known as “Hannibal the Cannibal” for the antisocial dining habits he took up upon abandoning his career as a brilliant psychiatrist to pursue his calling as a homicidal maniac.

Astonishingly insightful and brutally frank, Lecter has been kept in a dungeon-like cell for eight years, and while officious doctors and investigators can get nothing out of him, he is willing to play ball with his attractive new inquisitor.

On a quid pro quo basis, Lecter gives Starling clues as to the killer’s identity in exchange for details about her past. Even though Lecter is known as an ingenious manipulator and Starling has been warned against getting personal with him, she must proceed, especially after the daughter of a U.S. senator becomes Buffalo Bill’s latest captive.

Just as it seems the noose is tightening around the killer, Lecter, in an remarkably fine suspense Sequence, manages an unthinkable escape. The FBI and, on her own, Starling must use all the info and guts they have to finally corner Buffalo Bill. But then, there is Lecter.

Harris’ plot is as tight as a coiled rattler, and it has motivated Jonathan Demme to turn out his leanest, meanest work. Abandoning the colorful frills and offbeat mixed moods of “Something Wild” and “Married to the Mob,” this always interesting director has devoted himself to relentless storytelling.

There is not a false note nor an extraneous moment as he establishes a vise-like hold almost immediately and doesn’t let up even through the chilling final shot. In the second half of “Something Wild,” Demme demonstrated a marked talent for rough suspense, something he sustains for two hours here.

At the outset, Demme and his longtime ace lenser, Tak Fujimoto, plunge the viewer directly into the p.o.v. of the novice investigator Stariing, as she goes face to face with the diabolical Lecter and, as suggested by the title, is forced to confront her own childhood demons relating to the slaughter of animals. Film is omniscient, however, showing the activities of Buffalo Bill as well as those of Lecter later on.

In a strong performance, Foster fully registers the inner strength her character must summon up to meet the chaUenges and occasional humiliations her tough assignment entails.

Cast against type as a reserved man in glasses and a suit, Scott Glenn is a very agreeable surprise as the FBI agent who takes a chance by putting his young charge on the case.

The juiciest part is Hopkins,’ and he makes the most of it. Helped by some highly dramatic lighting, actor makes the role the personification of brilliant, hypnotic evil, and the screen jolts with electricity whenever he is on. This is, without doubt, his most effective film appearance to date.

From the huge hall in which Lecter is eerily caged at one point to the dingy rooms of Buffalo Bill’s house, Kristi Zea’s production design is critical to the picture’s mood. Editor Craig McKay keeps doesn’t let a frame stay on too long, and Howard Shore’s rather traditional score outstandingly amplifies the tension and psychological mystery.
EpicLadySpongeFeb 29, 2016
The Silence of the Lambs feels more like the Silence of the Audience during its time. Anything other than that, I'm sure this movie could start entertaining you just as these users and critics did.
choomtabi31Feb 21, 2016
An incredibly brilliant film! I cannot believe that it has taken me this long to watch it, I really enjoyed it.

Watch it here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-835-The-Silence-of-the-Lambs-online-free
TrilobiteGFeb 20, 2016
I think what I love most about Silence of the Lambs is it's filming craft. This movie truly heightens your sense to the maximum degree, you are completely and utterly aware of intentions and brooding desires from both Buffalo Bill andI think what I love most about Silence of the Lambs is it's filming craft. This movie truly heightens your sense to the maximum degree, you are completely and utterly aware of intentions and brooding desires from both Buffalo Bill and Hannibal, but does it completely succeed in feeding these desires? Not entirely, but in many respects it does. The film clearly has a certain essence of expression to it for it's first pointed to be generic yet surprisingly deep hill-billy antagonist. We can see an almost angering cycle of predator transforming into scavenger and a brief victory of innocence immediately terminated by the film's excellent conclusion which indicates a slightly ambiguous, although intentionally intriguing, return to norm. However, I believe Silence of the Lambs may be a little too intrigued with it's fascinating characters to give them any lore or necessary origin, something I was craving to see from Hannibal but oh my mouth was completely watering to see it from Buffalo Bill. This confused moth man, I was likewise confused whether to feel sympathy or not due to the fantastic Goodbye Horses sequence. Nonetheless, Silence of the lambs is a structural master-class and daringly explores decay in it's natural form although it's complete cocooning whittles away at some earth shattering, pivotal messages the film was aiming for. Expand
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: The main thing about this thriller is the outsanding acting - 'Silence of the lambs' is full of characterisation thanks to this excellent cast. Delving into the mind of lector and bill is exciting, plus there's no denying it's aWHAT I LIKED: The main thing about this thriller is the outsanding acting - 'Silence of the lambs' is full of characterisation thanks to this excellent cast. Delving into the mind of lector and bill is exciting, plus there's no denying it's a real thriller at the end where it ties up excllently.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's just not subtle enough. Tension should be played out delicately, and in this film it's slapped in your face, which means there's no drop in the tone and thus it feels long and dragged out. As a result it's also not very pyscological, as every theme is presented blatantly and obviously (and the intrusive music does little to help this.)
VERDICT: A thriller that exceeds in terms of characterisation, but fails when it comes to building tension and excitement.
smartmartSep 21, 2015
This is an intense, entertaining, and truly great film that totally deserved the Oscar for Best Picture in 1991! This movie is absolutely amazing, and is brilliant in every possible way. The dreary, moody soundtrack by Howard Shore isThis is an intense, entertaining, and truly great film that totally deserved the Oscar for Best Picture in 1991! This movie is absolutely amazing, and is brilliant in every possible way. The dreary, moody soundtrack by Howard Shore is astonishing, and all of the performances are brilliant! Anthony Hopkins is wonderfully creepy as the cannibal Hannibal Lector, Jodie Foster is great as Clarice, and Ted Levine steals every scene he's in with his slightly melancholy, mildly humorous, and quite terrifying performance as Buffalo Bill. "The Silence of the Lambs" is a disturbing crime genre that is masterful filmmaking in every possible way. Expand
Compi24Aug 4, 2015
An expertly crafted piece of cinema with every instance of tension/release, thread of thematic intrigue, and frame of an image designed to a near flawless measure. A spectacularly acted, written, and staged work of art.
vicky_logicalJun 25, 2015
Silence of the lambs is the movie everyone wants to see. Jodie foster portrays the character of a fbi agent who in her childhood experienced unfortunate things. In order to make her nightmares go away she wants to save at least one innocent.Silence of the lambs is the movie everyone wants to see. Jodie foster portrays the character of a fbi agent who in her childhood experienced unfortunate things. In order to make her nightmares go away she wants to save at least one innocent. Anthony Hopkins as lecter comes as the terrific and psychotic creature.
background score is really haunting. Eventhough this is not horrific and not so much blood spatter.Still the movie is a best thriller because of Anthony Hopkins and the evil buffalo bill
wornoutspinesMay 27, 2015
Oh my God, how did my parents ever let me watch this film? I know I blocked most of it from my memory but watching it again revived the sheer fear I felt when I was younger. Anthony Hopkins is so creepy that just the look of him and hisOh my God, how did my parents ever let me watch this film? I know I blocked most of it from my memory but watching it again revived the sheer fear I felt when I was younger. Anthony Hopkins is so creepy that just the look of him and his speech make me shiver. I can't believe what goes on in that film, no wonder that I blocked out most of it.

Anthony Hopkins has such a presence in this film that he stays with you even when he’s not in the scene. He’s in your head the whole time but when you think of it he’s barely in the movie, he just has a few scenes that’s how powerful his performance is.

The film is so smartly shot, they chose a petite actress, that can easily look frail, and they used some wide shots from above to show how small she is around the Men, and shows how small and inexperience she must feel around them. Jodie Foster played her character with sensitivity and a quiet strength that also elevated the film.

The Silence of the Lambs is over 20 years old but it holds up, you’re drawn to this suspenseful thriller from the beginning to the end, and then it stays with you. @wornoutspines
MarickMay 10, 2015
The film is simply brilliant. The actors do their job well and manages to be one of the best films you've ever seen .
CinemaSinsMay 9, 2015

It's impossible to mention Clarice without noting that she is one of the rarest commodities in thrillers: a female hero. In interviews, Foster has indicated that, of all the roles she has played in a career that began in childhood, Clarice is her favorite (which makes it odd that she didn't try harder to re-arrange her schedule so she could reprise the part in The Silence of the Lambs' sequel, Hannibal). In addition to having to face Lecter's mind-games and the dangers associated with Buffalo Bill, she must deal with the sexual politics of being a woman in a man's world. The most telling scene occurs early in the movie, when Crawford takes her on a "field trip" to view the latest victim. There, in a hick town, she finds herself stripped of authority as a result of a casual comment by Crawford, and surrounded by a group of macho, male cops. After momentarily escaping by taking flight into a memory of her father's funeral, she regroups and takes charge of the situation, ordering the men to clear the room where the body is housed. Thus does Clarice become a woman championing victimized women - a real heroine, not a woman imitating a testosterone-driven stereotype.

MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015

Jodie Foster's interpretation of Clarice Starling is not as high-profile as Hopkins' work, but the film wouldn't have been the same without her. In a quiet, non-flashy manner, Foster takes ownership of Clarice, transforming her into the movie's human anchor; she is our point-of-entry into the contorted, grotesque world of murder, insanity, and decadence. Clarice is developed into a multidimensional human being who is driven to succeed in a man's world, haunted by memories of the loving father she lost at an early age, and fascinated by the twisted brilliance of Lecter. There isn't a false note in the performance. Foster's best scenes are the ones in which she is paired with Hopkins, such as the instance in which Clarice's facial expression crumbles almost imperceptibly while Lecter coldly and cruelly dissects her life. It's arguable whether Foster deserved a Best Actress Oscar for her work in The Silence of the Lambs, but there's no doubt that she is owed more recognition for the film's success than she often receives.

EddyGregsApr 20, 2015
In her attempts to find a missing girl, a young FBI agent enlists the help of another psychopath. To gain his help she has to win his trust and gives him an insight into her own personal fears and issues.

Along with Se7en this is one of

Along with Se7en this is one of the most thrilling and darkest thrillers in film history.

It is testament to Jonathan Demme's superb adaptation of Thomas Harris' cult 80s novel that these two images of Lecter never lose their grip from the quite brilliant opening visiting sequence, the one reaffirming the other, combining to create the most memorable basketcase in the movies since Norman Bates first opened for business. This is a man who sketches and listens to Mozart while planning to literally eat off a policeman's face, a creature sensitive to Starling's tale of childhood torment yet cruelly reticent in supplying clues that might lead to the capture of the serial killer closest to his natural heir.

Ultimately, though, Demme's breakthrough film is a triumph by virtue of its narrative strength, its sheer confidence in tackling Harris complex characterisation head-on, and its ability to scare the **** out of its audience without ever once resorting to amateur hour frightwigs and hands-over-the-eyes. Fingerlickin' good.

A first unmissable, then enduring, but always unmissable classic.
SuperWooperMar 24, 2015
An absolutely brilliant psychological thriller that delivers some of the greatest scenes and movie lines of all time. Hitchcock and Foster together in this movie arguably make the greatest acting duo of all-time.
acaiberryMar 19, 2015
My friend always said a thriller should have a psychological facet in a movie. Well, me and him watched this together and I could not be more pleased with what this movie had to offer.. Believe me, alot of thriller movies have done a good jobMy friend always said a thriller should have a psychological facet in a movie. Well, me and him watched this together and I could not be more pleased with what this movie had to offer.. Believe me, alot of thriller movies have done a good job emulating this film without trying to exactly copy it. I love the acting, the plot, and the literal thrill of suspense. Im a music guy so I do pay attention to the musical score and lets just say the Munich Symphony Orchestra made me check the curtains and grab an extra layer of sheets.

Jonathan Demme deserves credit for directing this and so does Ted Tally for writing the screenplay.
It's weird but I get the sense that this movie could really happen in real life. I got annoyed at some of the acting but it won best actor and actress so don't take my word for it. Last thing I want to mention is that this movie tackled on some really tough issues like homophobia and sexual orientation. That is BIG considering the 80s was a really rough period for the LGBT community.

Treat yo self and watch this movie. If the US Library of Congress approves and you don't, you're not appreciating American work. Just kidding but I love a smart, bad-ass villain
BradySmithFeb 13, 2015
A creepy, at times horrific movie with incredible performances. Meticulously directed, and written with searing intelligence, this is very likely the best horror film ever devised. Of course, Hopkins as Hannibal Lector is simply amazing.A creepy, at times horrific movie with incredible performances. Meticulously directed, and written with searing intelligence, this is very likely the best horror film ever devised. Of course, Hopkins as Hannibal Lector is simply amazing. He's still the gold standard for the movie villain (even though he's kind of the hero), and I doubt he'll ever be surpassed. There are so many fascinating, creepy, and even disturbing aspects about the relationship between Starling and Lector, but I'll let you find this out for yourself. The characters here are as nuanced as I've ever seen. Foster's performance is also excellent. I must warn you, it's a graphic, disturbing, and at times even disgusting film, and on a different note some of the technical aspects of the movie haven't aged so well, but all in all, it's so memorable and haunting that I have to call it an absolute horror/crime classic. I'll admit, I've had nightmares where I was in a building with Hannibal on the loose. Those were some scary dreams. Expand
LoRevisorJan 29, 2015
Um pouco SuperEstimado,claro a história é interessante Serial-Killer esse tema me fascina,mas como filme de Serial-Killer é muito fraco,contém excelentes cenas como a de Hannibal fugindo da cela e prisão devorando todos ao redor,mas tambémUm pouco SuperEstimado,claro a história é interessante Serial-Killer esse tema me fascina,mas como filme de Serial-Killer é muito fraco,contém excelentes cenas como a de Hannibal fugindo da cela e prisão devorando todos ao redor,mas também tem cenas no máximo bestas quase todas em que Bufallo Bill aparece.
Mas é cheio de atuações classe A,da gostosa branquinha Jodie Foster,Anthony Hopkins e Ted Levine.Mas continua sendo um filme ultra SuperEstimado.
Le__XenomorphJan 7, 2015
The Silence of the Lambs is not for the faint of heart. It is very disturbing and has a lot of gross scenes. What makes it perfect is Anthony Hopkin's scary performance, Buffalo Bill, and its overall creepy atmosphere. Would recommend to allThe Silence of the Lambs is not for the faint of heart. It is very disturbing and has a lot of gross scenes. What makes it perfect is Anthony Hopkin's scary performance, Buffalo Bill, and its overall creepy atmosphere. Would recommend to all of the horror fans! 10/10 (Masterpiece) Expand
FranzHcriticDec 25, 2014
I cannot see where the Oscars come into play for this film: It's a well-paced, smart, inventive thriller with, but Anthony Hopkins is not on screen long enough for his to go down in history as one of the greatest. Jodie Foster is even moreI cannot see where the Oscars come into play for this film: It's a well-paced, smart, inventive thriller with, but Anthony Hopkins is not on screen long enough for his to go down in history as one of the greatest. Jodie Foster is even more banal. The underrated star here is Ted Levine. But as a whole, there were many films that year better than 'Silence of the Lambs'. Expand
HannibalLecterOct 16, 2014
"The Silence of the Lambs" is possibly one of the greatest movies ever made. As you can tell by user name, I'm quite a fan, and I can't find a single flaw within this movie. The Cinematography, music, plot, characters, are so well put"The Silence of the Lambs" is possibly one of the greatest movies ever made. As you can tell by user name, I'm quite a fan, and I can't find a single flaw within this movie. The Cinematography, music, plot, characters, are so well put together that it deserves the title "The greatest horror thriller of all time."

10/10.
DenisManuOct 12, 2014
The Silence of the Lambs is a hypnotizing psychological suspenseful and mysterious movie with great performances.Daring and terrific, this is definitely one of the best movies ever made.So well written,so well directed and fantastic screenplay!
lordmoo_23Sep 23, 2014
Very well directed with a heavy and ominous tone that shadows the entire movie. The sound and editing all function in creating and maintaining the film's eerie atmosphere. Reviewing this film, how could one not mention Anthony HopkinsVery well directed with a heavy and ominous tone that shadows the entire movie. The sound and editing all function in creating and maintaining the film's eerie atmosphere. Reviewing this film, how could one not mention Anthony Hopkins chilling and creepy performance as Dr. Hannibal Lecter. He portrays, without a doubt, one of the best psychotic characters in cinema history. He's so good that at one point, you may start to, dare I say, root for him? The chemistry between Hopkins and Jodie Foster's character is brilliant and the dialogue between them is masterfully crafted. Once you let Hannibal into your mind, you can never get him out. After watching The Silence of the Lambs, I don't think I can ever forget it. Are you up for the challenge? Expand
beingryanjudeAug 27, 2014
Perhaps film's greatest villain and greatest heroine in one film. Can this be? You betcha. Anthony Hopkins embodies evil in his haunting portrayal of Dr. Hannibal Lector. As for Jodie Foster, we'll remember Clarice for her strength and willpower.
HaithamBAug 24, 2014
The Silence of the Lambs is disturbing thriller about a demented serial killer. You might find it a bit dull nevertheless, this is a slow burning thriller that requires your attention.
chwAug 20, 2014
The Silence of the Lambs is very much worth seeing. Anthony Hopkins plays Hannibal the Cannibal very well, and Jodie Foster plays Clarice excellently.
Pelen23Jul 23, 2014
It is definitely one of the best films in the 90s and one of the rare films that well deserved its oscars.Demne tells the story very patiently through proper character development. this a thriller and they can't go through every singleIt is definitely one of the best films in the 90s and one of the rare films that well deserved its oscars.Demne tells the story very patiently through proper character development. this a thriller and they can't go through every single details of the characters . However the film explains the psychology behind crime and the motivations of Clarice Starling very well. See Jodie Foster in the very final scene while buffalo bill is wearing his night vision goggles . Truly terrifying scene and Jodie's performance is just amazing, Expand
MuddsjrMar 26, 2014
The Silence of the Lambs is most definitely at times, a horrifyingly tense film, and when it isn't it's an uncomfortably tense film, and when it isn't even that, its still pretty tense. But on the whole, The Silence of the Lambs is genius.
python2000Feb 16, 2014
One of the most consistently tense movies I have ever seen in my life. It would be the number one most tense, but the 2013 movie Prisoners had me on edge for the whole runtime. Anthony Hopkins is the main reason this movie is so popular, heOne of the most consistently tense movies I have ever seen in my life. It would be the number one most tense, but the 2013 movie Prisoners had me on edge for the whole runtime. Anthony Hopkins is the main reason this movie is so popular, he has just under 30 minutes screen time and won Best Actor at the 1991 Oscars. Jodie Foster is kind of overshadowed by him, but is also amazing. It is a performance movie, but has a brilliant plot and does not just rely on it's cast to carry the whole thing. Incredibly tense and impeccably performed The Silence of The Lambs is one of my favorite movies ever. Expand
axelkochFeb 3, 2014
With The Silence of the Lambs, Jonathan Demme laid the foundation of all psychological thrillers to come after it and also accomplished a contestant for one of the best book adaptions in film history, as he transformed Thomas Harris’sWith The Silence of the Lambs, Jonathan Demme laid the foundation of all psychological thrillers to come after it and also accomplished a contestant for one of the best book adaptions in film history, as he transformed Thomas Harris’s entertaining and thrilling novel of the same name into a visionary, absorbing, and stereotype-defying motion picture that deservedly ranks among the prestigious trio of films to have won the Big Five categories at the Academy Awards. It’s one of the very few thrillers (not horror films, as asinine Hollywood likes to classify it) that improves with time, similarly to the Chianti Hannibal Lecter mentions in the essential The Silence of the Lambs quote, as it’s neither a whodunit nor a howcatchem, but rather a study of psychopaths’ and serial killers’ twisted states of mind. Expand
MovieGuysSep 18, 2013
One of the best and most effective thrillers of al time. Anthony Hopkins gives a career 2.0 performance, and Jodie Foster is remembered by this role. One of the last scenes in this movie is where you will see the movie's genius. (No spoilers)
JohnnyStephensAug 30, 2013
I have no words to describe how good is that movie. I really enjoy it and it's without any doubt the best of the trilogy and one of the best movies ever made. Hopkins is always excellent!!! Bravo!
Jamison12Aug 8, 2013
This is the greatest thriller ever created. The Silence of the Lambs isn't scary as it is thrilling. You'll be on the edge of your seat and you'll be awe struck by Jodie Foster's and Anthony Hopkins' captivating performances.
moonman1994Jul 27, 2013
The Silence of the Lambs is an outstanding film. Great acting especially by Hopkins and Foster. This film as amazing atmospherically because it is able to achieve a great level of tension. The best part for this aspect is the ending scenes inThe Silence of the Lambs is an outstanding film. Great acting especially by Hopkins and Foster. This film as amazing atmospherically because it is able to achieve a great level of tension. The best part for this aspect is the ending scenes in which you can't help but be on the edge of your seat the entire time. A much watch film and certainly deserving of all the academy awards that it won. Expand
wrightm1Jun 26, 2013
Wow. I don't know why I haven't seen this sooner!

Wow. I don't know why I haven't seen this sooner!

I really loved this. The film was complex, but never to the point that you got completely lost. I found myself getting confused about where we were, and then it would all click a few seconds later. It was very clever at making sure you were aware of which character was who.

The direction is very interesting in this film, with the contrast of the dark and gritty world of the FBI, and what happens when a character is put in prison, but when this then goes against the killer's room, I loved the designs, with all the colours etc.

But lets face it. We all know why this film works so well.

Anthony Hopkins. I bow down to you.

I heard he was only in the film for about 15 minutes. That was a lie. He was just brilliant. The perfect mix of charm and menace to create a truly unforgettable villain. Hannibal Lecter really is the standout of the film, and will have you on the edge of your seat, whenever he is on the screen.

I think the thing that kept me interested the most here was that it was simply a great story. An involving and original story that had me in it's bloody palms from start to finish.
prituMay 13, 2013
hannibal anthony terrorises one n all wid his ever engaging killer stare..foster deservs a standing ovation for hr potrayl of a lady cop,who finds a way 2 ovrcum hr fears n solve d most notorious of cases.grt background score,intense screenhannibal anthony terrorises one n all wid his ever engaging killer stare..foster deservs a standing ovation for hr potrayl of a lady cop,who finds a way 2 ovrcum hr fears n solve d most notorious of cases.grt background score,intense screen presence of d cast,all n all a director's mastrpc Expand
Annoymous1May 3, 2013
Two hours is long for movie time, but watching this might make you think it is like watching only 30 minutes. This movie is epic and contains all the things needed for a horror flick. I agree if IMDb who gave it an high rating of 8.8/ 10.Two hours is long for movie time, but watching this might make you think it is like watching only 30 minutes. This movie is epic and contains all the things needed for a horror flick. I agree if IMDb who gave it an high rating of 8.8/ 10. Seriously, you can't watch any horror as good as this. Expand
SpangleMar 4, 2013
How anybody could not like this moving is beyond me. Director Jonathan Demme did a fantastic job and all of the actors were marvelous, especially Hopkins and Foster. The film is an 11/10. A 10/10 doesn't do it justice.
barnet42Oct 15, 2012
One of the best movies in history , What if Brian De Palma directed Silence of the Lambs? It's funny because Lithgow was a choice to play Lecter when Manhunter was in production.
PersinOct 6, 2012
A surprisingly great film. Great performances by the lead actors, which contribute all the more to the sense of tension throughout the film, and a stunning finale. One of the most breathtaking movies I have ever seen (and I say this as aA surprisingly great film. Great performances by the lead actors, which contribute all the more to the sense of tension throughout the film, and a stunning finale. One of the most breathtaking movies I have ever seen (and I say this as a person who generally dislikes the horror/thriller genre). Expand
ChrisFarnworthJul 17, 2012
I thought I would watch this movie throughout the day as the trailer made it looked like it would scare the hell out of me however this movie was much more creepy than scary. Obviously Anthony Hopkins stole the show as Hannibal, it wasI thought I would watch this movie throughout the day as the trailer made it looked like it would scare the hell out of me however this movie was much more creepy than scary. Obviously Anthony Hopkins stole the show as Hannibal, it was strange as the movie went on I wanted him to escape. For me I preferred the scenes with Hannibal in to "Buffalo Bill" but Jodie Foster played a good Clarice Starling with excellent chemistry with Lecter. Overall I would give the movie 7/10 but as it was realised in 1991 I can understand why it Expand
aaronpaul121May 25, 2012
One of the classic horror films. Anthony Hopkins' performance is brilliant and definitely creepy. Jodie Foster also did a brilliant job in the film. Everything is just fantastic. There is nothing I can say...just excellence from this classicOne of the classic horror films. Anthony Hopkins' performance is brilliant and definitely creepy. Jodie Foster also did a brilliant job in the film. Everything is just fantastic. There is nothing I can say...just excellence from this classic film............ Expand
eTurkeyMar 26, 2012
As a film which has the arduous task of combing elements from both horror AND thriller genres 'Silence of the Lambs' works out relatively decent with the exception of a few minor hiccups The first is character development. It's mostAs a film which has the arduous task of combing elements from both horror AND thriller genres 'Silence of the Lambs' works out relatively decent with the exception of a few minor hiccups The first is character development. It's most definitely featured but is rather weak and lifeless. You simply don't care that much for these characters or their back-stories. Jodie Foster gives a stunning performance but I felt that Anthony Hopkins portrayal of Dr. Hannibal Lecter was overblown. If suspense is more important than gore you should enjoy this flick. Expand
Potter17Dec 9, 2011
Foster and Hopkins really shine on their roles. Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling could not ask for best performers. Add an impeccable screenplay and an involving, organic directon from Demme, and then you have the best thriller for years to come.
TheGorillaNov 20, 2011
A great thriller that easily gets your attention from the beginning to the end. And the actors did an amazing job, especially Anthony Hopkins. But, this movie isn't particularly scary, and I wouldn't complain if there were more scares.
grandpajoe6191Sep 29, 2011
"The Silence of the Lambs" is definitely a overrated movie. The character development is hurried and cannot focus on either characters. Anthony Hopkins is perfect for the sadistic killer, but his role was a foolish one. The story is linear"The Silence of the Lambs" is definitely a overrated movie. The character development is hurried and cannot focus on either characters. Anthony Hopkins is perfect for the sadistic killer, but his role was a foolish one. The story is linear and the movie ends with a surprisingly corny ending with **** optimism. It's just plain terrible. Expand
AtTheMoviesJun 28, 2011
A fantastic, haunting experience. You won't be scared in the traditional horror movie sense, but you will be terrified in the psychological horror sense. Anthony Hopkins is absolutely haunting as Hannibal Lecter, and he pulls the roll offA fantastic, haunting experience. You won't be scared in the traditional horror movie sense, but you will be terrified in the psychological horror sense. Anthony Hopkins is absolutely haunting as Hannibal Lecter, and he pulls the roll off very well. A classic movie that no sane person will want to miss. It may be slow, but your attention will not be lost. One of the best films of the last 50 years, easily. Collapse
ShahmeerJun 3, 2011
Horror movies are either going to be your best friend, or your worst nightmare. They either scare you to death, or you love them. Now most people would say the scarier, the better. But if something is scary to you, I don't see how you couldHorror movies are either going to be your best friend, or your worst nightmare. They either scare you to death, or you love them. Now most people would say the scarier, the better. But if something is scary to you, I don't see how you could like it. And yet, this film had scared me like never before and yet I can never let go of the feeling of how amazing it was. The Silence of the Lambs is a crime-suspense thriller, starring Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins. It's about a FBI trainee Clarice Starling, who is assigned to help capture a serial killer by the name of Buffalo Bill. She simply has to question a former murderer, Hannibal Lector, better known as "Hannibal the Cannibal". The FBI believes there might be some sort of connections between the two killers, and asks Clarice to figure out what. And what begins as a small questioning process begins to evolve into one of the greatest crime story ever told. The Silence of the Lambs won 5 Academy Awards, including Best Lead Actor, Best Lead Actress, and Best Picture. It truly deserved all these wins, especially the acting. Jodie Foster's acting as Clarice Starling was great, but what really made this film worthwhile was Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lector. Never have I seen a villain so kind, yet so sinister and evil. Every word and breath he takes is haunting. You know that even when he talks so kindly to Clarice, he has some evil thoughts or something processing in his mind that the viewer can't just understand. That's what makes Anthony Hopkins the best thing about the whole film. Then I believe the second best thing is the cinematography. This film's cinematography is excellent, and done like no other movie before. You see that whenever there's a new character introduced, it's shown in the perspective of the main characterâ Expand
MetalMan95Jan 4, 2011
A classic. Everyone in this film brings their A-game. Whenever Ted Levine or Anthony Hopkins were n the screen, the tension went up. Although the film is quite slow, the tension is kept up with a great musical score and great dialogue. ItA classic. Everyone in this film brings their A-game. Whenever Ted Levine or Anthony Hopkins were n the screen, the tension went up. Although the film is quite slow, the tension is kept up with a great musical score and great dialogue. It kept my eyes glued to the screen. Expand
liquidsnakeOct 14, 2010
if u looking for a amazing acting and amazing story then this movie is the right choice and its one of the best i have ever seen ,this movie will make speechless at some moments at i was
GavinCJul 27, 2009
This is a near-perfect film because it chooses to get inside the viewer's head instead of displaying blood and carnage every 5 minutes.
JMMay 19, 2009
This is a classic movie and todays horror movies should take some notes. No this movie is not the scariest movie but it still makes you think about it well after it is over. In my opinion there is not enough credit given to the author of the This is a classic movie and todays horror movies should take some notes. No this movie is not the scariest movie but it still makes you think about it well after it is over. In my opinion there is not enough credit given to the author of the novel, with too much credit being given to the director. The story is what makes the movie so chilling, while the direction was an important component. As for the person who said it was stupid for Clarice to go downstairs, I would suggest you read the book as it describes whats going on in her head at the time. She knew that if she waited till she got backup Catherine would be dead. It is a tough decision, risk your life or let someone else get killed, but I wouldn't call it a stupid decision. Like I said, I would check out the book if you liked the movie, it is obviously much more detailed than the movie and it's very fast paced. That being said, the movie is a classic and thats coming from someone who doesn't like horror movies. Amazing job by Anthony Hopkins. Expand
TedK.Jun 20, 2008
Anthony Hopkins gives the most overrated performance of all time. He way overplayed it. Aside from that, the movie is really quite dull and unexceptional. I'm mystified by the positive reviews and never understood this movie's appeal.
1 of 18 users found this helpful
TylerG.May 7, 2007
One of the best movies I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of movies. From the acting to the story this movie was a 10 in every category. Go buyh this DVD right now!
KellyB.Jan 27, 2007
Love it, love it, love it. Hopkins is amazing - some of the best acting every put on film. And Foster is breathtaking as Clarice. It gives me chills every time I watch it.
JimDOct 23, 2006
This was the best movie I have ever seen.
CharlieN.May 17, 2006
One of my favorite films of all time! Mind-blowing!
RDalviMay 2, 2006
Very suspenseful. however, it is not scary. Also, it does not have that much gruesome violent scenes as its sequel hannibal.
0 of 1 users found this helpful