7.5

1. Nov 2, 2010
    spiderpig spiderpig
    does whatever a spiderpig does
    can he swing from a web
    no he can't he's a pig
    look out he is a spiderpig
  2. MartinS.
    Aug 20, 2007
    More like 2 Episodes blown up to 90min with not-so-funny sidekicks (spider pig - wtf?) and not-so-ironic father& son stories. Too bad... and as usual - trailers took away most of the really awesome scenes (Moes Bar...)
  3. TimA.
    Aug 1, 2007
    Highly, Highly over rated by critics and press critics alike. I absolutely love the Simpsons TV series and have watched it for over 10 years. I was almost afraid to go and watch this because I didn't see the point in them making the film when they had resisted for so long. being highly cynical i feel it is one last cash in before they go and count their cash in retirement. The jokes Highly, Highly over rated by critics and press critics alike. I absolutely love the Simpsons TV series and have watched it for over 10 years. I was almost afraid to go and watch this because I didn't see the point in them making the film when they had resisted for so long. being highly cynical i feel it is one last cash in before they go and count their cash in retirement. The jokes (if some of them can truly be called that) can be seen coming a mile off and lack the brilliant suggestion at deeper comment that made the simpsons so popular in the first place. Bart - one of the principal characters spends the whole film craving Flanders as a father figure which renders him completely impotent with regards to the impact that his normally mischievous character would have. I am going to stop before i get started because this film disappointed me more then any of the last five years. You all know that its rubbish really too, you just want it to be good so you pretend it is or you're too afraid to admit it. This is a criminal waste and an insult to the awesome franchise/legacy that they have spent the best part of the last two decades building up. Expand
  4. PaulL.
    Jan 13, 2008
    This movie is a tad better than the writing that's come out of the Simpson's in the last 5 or so seasons. In other words, it just slightly better than crap.
  5. Jan 27, 2013
    The Simpsons Movie is decent yet disappointing. The film feels like an everyday episode of the show but has it's jokes stretched out too thin. Not as good as it should have been.
  6. Feb 12, 2013
    While I am an avid Simpsons fan, I do have to admit that this movie did feel more like a really long episode, which was a little disappointment. But, the improved animations and the obvious extra effort from the actors and writers do make for that a bit. For a show that has been on as long as it has, it must be really hard to come up with fresh material. Overall: For the Simpsons it isn'tWhile I am an avid Simpsons fan, I do have to admit that this movie did feel more like a really long episode, which was a little disappointment. But, the improved animations and the obvious extra effort from the actors and writers do make for that a bit. For a show that has been on as long as it has, it must be really hard to come up with fresh material. Overall: For the Simpsons it isn't half bad, but this could easily have been cut into a three part episode. Expand
  7. Nov 13, 2013
    The Simpsons Movie is simply that.
    A good all around movie capturing the eyes of its target audience. Laughs, a little story, and a good bit of fun all around.
  8. Oct 6, 2014
    A wonderful movie, absolutely great any movie with The Simpsons are great its a funny movie with a good story and a great plot i advise you to go see this movie.
  9. Nov 8, 2014
    The Simpsons movie it's the best movie of all time.There are all of the characters of the original TV series and a great story with epic events.The best movie ever.
  10. Mar 9, 2015
    This movie is freaking hilarious. Probably in my top 10 for the best comedy movies, not kidding. I laughed so hard in some scenes. I overall had a good time with this movie!
  11. Mar 11, 2015
    I, personally, could not stop laughing throughout the entire movie. When I got out I realized my parents would not have liked it the least bit (except for the famous Spider Pig scene). Still, it's got some pretty inappropriate stuff in here. If you don't care and like stupid stuff, this is definitely your kind of thing.
  12. Mar 19, 2015
    I grew up watching 'The Simpsons' TV show, you know, like everybody else in the entire world...so when I heard that they were making a movie out of a TV show that's been on for years and that I'm a huge fan of... you can imagine how excited I was feeling.

Boy was I disappointed...massively disappointed. 'The Simpsons Movie' is a weak comedy that tries to have a big-scale plot and tries to throw in as many twists as possible, but for me, it just backfired.

The movie's main focus is about the environment and keeping it safe, Homer, however after adopting a pet pig, makes a stupid decision to dump the "Pig Crap" silo into the river and polluting the environment. Meanwhile, Lisa has fallen for a boy named Collin who shares the same interests about keeping the environment safe. Bart, for reasons of his own, has built a relationship with Ned Flanders simply because Homer is not a good enough father and Flanders respects Bart.

The family get under attack from the Springfield population after hearing what Homer did and because of his idiotic decision, it led Springfield to be trapped underneath the dome. The family manage to escape and reside in Alaska and start a new life there.

The voice actors do a great job at showing all of the characters' different emotions as you'd expect since they've been doing this throughout the television show. Obviously, one cannot go wrong with the animation as well.

My only issues with this film include the humor, it's not very funny. The television show had me laughing with the sarcastic humor and slapstick style. But this movie really scraped the bottom of the barrel here, the "Spider Pig" moment was supposed to be the funniest movie moment of 2007, but I had a straight face throughout the entire sequence...it just was not funny at all.

The plot was just uninteresting and too big-scale, it did not feel like one long "Simpsons" episode, it just felt like a huge Simpsons movie-wannabe and did not pay off in any way.

I am disappointed, I do not plan on watching this movie again...unless I am REALLY bored.
  13. Sep 25, 2011
    Probably America's most daring movie ever made....
  14. KelR.
    Oct 1, 2007
    For me this movie is the disappointment of the year. The hype for this movie alludes me, it was preachy and simply not funny unless I assume you're high. Seriously, I found myself shaking my head so many times in sheer disgust while bewildered at why in the world the audience was laughing. I only laughed 3 or 4 times and yes I DO have a sense of humor but have a tendency to laugh at For me this movie is the disappointment of the year. The hype for this movie alludes me, it was preachy and simply not funny unless I assume you're high. Seriously, I found myself shaking my head so many times in sheer disgust while bewildered at why in the world the audience was laughing. I only laughed 3 or 4 times and yes I DO have a sense of humor but have a tendency to laugh at things with wit, irony, and sarcasm- not senseless arbitrary humor that I honestly believe any high school stoner could have written. Prepare to be disappointed. Expand
  15. WayneO.
    Nov 6, 2007
    I have to say that I was VERY disappointed in this movie. It amounted to nothing more than an over-extended episode. The plot was fine for a half hour show but did not translate well into feature-length. I actually fell asleep after 45 minutes of this boring movie.
  16. DanielW.
    Jul 28, 2007
    OK, but not great. Critics who raved about this should be required to watch the first few seasons of this show again, just to remind themselves of what the Simpsons represented at their peak -- a family just as significant as the Sopranos. My 7 year-old son laughed at the wiener jokes, and I felt depressingly old remembering just how good this show was years before he was born.
  17. Dec 11, 2010
    This has gotta be one of the best movies ever! It's smart, it's funny, and above all, the story is good. What else do you want from a comedy!?
  18. JoshiTheCritic
    Jan 26, 2010
    This movie was great! It's perfect if you look at the past, and what they did now.
  19. Apr 24, 2011
    1st Of All Thank You Critics!! :)
    This Movie Could Not Be Any Better.. So So So So Funny.. I Love The Cast.. This Movie Has Some Moments I Will Never Forget! The Best Movie Of 07! The Writing ROX!
  20. IsaacV
    Jan 28, 2010
    I thought this was pretty funny. 3/5 stars from me!
  21. Dec 4, 2010
    It may seem more like a prolonged episode than anything else, but it is both way more funny as well as serious, resulting in a great first film for 'The Simpsons'. Both fans (and some who aren't) will adore this movie.
  22. Jun 17, 2011
    This movie was pretty bad. There were some laughs, but they were few and far between. The movie couldn't help but feel like an episode of The Simpsons that went on for way too long. The plot was a little ridiculous even for a cartoon. This movie marked the beginning of the end of my love of The Simpsons. If you are a fan of the show, you will most probably love this movie. But for someoneThis movie was pretty bad. There were some laughs, but they were few and far between. The movie couldn't help but feel like an episode of The Simpsons that went on for way too long. The plot was a little ridiculous even for a cartoon. This movie marked the beginning of the end of my love of The Simpsons. If you are a fan of the show, you will most probably love this movie. But for someone who doesn't watch the show, I do not recommend seeing this movie. Expand
  23. Jun 3, 2012
    One Of The Best Movies Of All Time!
    The Simpsons Is The Best T.V. Show Of All Time!
  24. Jan 17, 2015
    The Simpsons Movie is one of the best movies of all time! The series has been going on for a long time with great episodes and this movie was awesome. It is really funny. It has a cool storyline. The voice actors are all back. This movie was a great movie and I highly recommend you watch it.
  25. Ianb
    Jan 2, 2008
    A long tv show not a movie....stupid story....same jokes...nothing new = very dull and lifeless.
  26. Mar 29, 2012
    My advice to all the Simpsons fans out there: take this movie out of context. Imagine there was no Homer, no Bart, no Springfield. Imagine it was the exact same movie, except made by an indie Director. You may start saying: "Wow, that movie was pretty bad! The only reason I liked it was because I like the Simpsons and go fanboy **** over everything that has their name on it!". Matt, cancelMy advice to all the Simpsons fans out there: take this movie out of context. Imagine there was no Homer, no Bart, no Springfield. Imagine it was the exact same movie, except made by an indie Director. You may start saying: "Wow, that movie was pretty bad! The only reason I liked it was because I like the Simpsons and go fanboy **** over everything that has their name on it!". Matt, cancel the Simpsons, go onto new **** You've already lost your fanbase, now try saving Futurama or just make a new franchise before we lose faith in you. Expand
  27. Nov 2, 2010
    The story was random just like almost every episode from 2000 to present. I laughed a few times but a dome going aroung springfield is not believable. I liked the movie 10 years ago but its gone to crap unfortunately. But there were some funny moments thats why it didnt get a 2.
  28. BillH.
    Aug 10, 2007
    I didn't go into this movie with any expectations, so I wasn't disappointed. That said, I just don't think it was funny in any way. It was almost sad for me to watch because as good as The Simpsons once was, that's how bad it is now. Don't waste your time with this one.
  29. MichaelP.
    Jan 7, 2008
    I really tried to like this film.......honest........ but it was just plain boring and not the least bit funny.
  30. MarkK
    Jan 9, 2009
    The Simpsons are dead. It went stale after season ten and they haven't made a decent episode since then. If this film was the best they could do then why not just make it into a two part episode? It feels a little draged out with a lot of filler lines and jokes (only a few which are funny). Family Guy and South Park are the way to go.
  31. IndiS.
    Nov 3, 2007
    This film is lame just like the series when they start making it new. If The Simpson's series was canceled instead of Futurama series that will make a better entertainment.
  32. RoyP.
    Dec 19, 2007
    I wish I had the time to do a video side by side of how many past episodes this movie shamelessly ripped off. Homer getting a Pig (Homer goes to college), Bart idolizing Flanders (Boy Scoutz 'n the Hood), Lisa crusading for the environment (The Old Man and Lisa), Springfield destroyed by pollution (Trash of the Titans), Homer goes on a hallucinogenic quest (El Viaje Misterioso de I wish I had the time to do a video side by side of how many past episodes this movie shamelessly ripped off. Homer getting a Pig (Homer goes to college), Bart idolizing Flanders (Boy Scoutz 'n the Hood), Lisa crusading for the environment (The Old Man and Lisa), Springfield destroyed by pollution (Trash of the Titans), Homer goes on a hallucinogenic quest (El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Homer, and probably a few others), Marge and Homer having marital problems (every 6th episode), and that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Except none of it is as clever or smart or endearing as the show was for the first 10 seasons (more or less). Right about now, the shows creators would trot out the Comic Book Guy and have him point to me and say "Worst Reviewer Ever!", something they seemed to do a few seasons ago, for nearly every episode to deflect all the criticism the show had been receiving, rather than come to their senses. The sad reality is, The Simpsons has long faded from its intelligent, witty, and social relevance years ago. It has sadly devolved into a clichéd, mishmash of recycling old episodes and tired jokes. What's worse is that newer episodes are typically stapled together with potty humor, drug jokes, and chronically arduous slapstick. Something, the series used to sparring incorporate, and mostly for irony. This movie practically drowns in exhaustive slapstick, and includes at least 2 blows to the... "family jewels". Word of mouth and positive reviews gave me hope that years of development time and rewrites could've signaled a return to its brilliant form. It didn't even come close. Expand
  33. BrendaM.
    Feb 2, 2008
    This wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I think that it could have been better
  34. DrewT.
    Mar 4, 2008
    More disappointment than dislike. I would have been completely satisfied if it was split into about 3 or 4 episodes and then put on TV, or if it were released straight to DVD. Homer may have said it perfectly at the beginning when they're watching the Itchy and Scratchy Movie, he said something along the lines of (possibly misquoted) "Why did we pay to see something at the movies More disappointment than dislike. I would have been completely satisfied if it was split into about 3 or 4 episodes and then put on TV, or if it were released straight to DVD. Homer may have said it perfectly at the beginning when they're watching the Itchy and Scratchy Movie, he said something along the lines of (possibly misquoted) "Why did we pay to see something at the movies that we can see for free on TV?" My thoughts exactly. Expand
  35. sufiH
    May 2, 2009
    I loved this movie!I am a huge fan of the simpsons and i didnt think there was something to make me like it even more but I was WRONG! It still isnt perfect and i know that they could have made it much better but this is also good.
  36. SeanH.
    Dec 10, 2007
    Clearly made for commercial rather then creative reasons. It's just a longer version of the new t.v episodes which are poor at best and dectract from the brilliance of the earlier ones. The spider-pig part which is early on in the film and thought of as the best part is not very funny at all and puts the rest of the film into perspective.
  37. GearoidM.
    Dec 6, 2007
    As a big Simpson's fan, I was really disappointed. Actually fell asleep in the second half. Some funny moments but overall felt like an overlong episode
  38. CS.
    Jul 25, 2007
    The Simpsons have always been heading downhill since the mid 90s, but the hill just got a lot steeper. I did not go into the movie with high expectations, but at least assuming that I would not regret spending 90 minutes watching it. But I did. It was a combination of the preposterous plot, the lack of the jokes that brought the Simpsons to fame in the first place, and the reliance on The Simpsons have always been heading downhill since the mid 90s, but the hill just got a lot steeper. I did not go into the movie with high expectations, but at least assuming that I would not regret spending 90 minutes watching it. But I did. It was a combination of the preposterous plot, the lack of the jokes that brought the Simpsons to fame in the first place, and the reliance on homer continually hurting himself, for example sticking a hammer in his eye. It was because of this that I found myself laughing very rarely, apart from a few flashes of brilliance (the parody using green day of the violinists in "titanic", and the 8 year old kids surrounding me laughing almost non-stop. The Simpsons has long been regarded as a show that will please both children and adults, but I am very worried that it is fast becoming just another kid's cartoon, and that would be a shame. A very great shame. Expand
  39. GeoffM.
    Aug 25, 2007
    Anyone who likes this movie is a tool and will die alone. If you are married your wife/husband is more than obviously having an affair with you. Die already.
  40. EricE
    Jan 15, 2008
    It was alright. Typical later years simpsons, thought it was just a long episode.
  41. David
    Jan 25, 2008
    I loved the Simpson's but times have changed. Family guy and south park are fresh funny and of a much higher laugh per second ratio. i giggle twice in this film and cried a little at Bart Simpson naked full frontal. 100 from the Washington post?!?!?!? do they watch the same film that i do>?!
  42. NelsonP
    Oct 14, 2009
    This is the worst movie I have ever seen. Its boring, its lame and the story is crap. It makes the show look bad.
  43. GavinP.
    Dec 24, 2007
    This movie sucked. Even with ten years of bad episodes behind us, this movies surpassed them all. I didn't laugh once. Just end the series now and put us out of our misery.
  44. shawnqs.
    Dec 26, 2007
    Those critic reviews are bullsh.t. They are judging the movie according to the old episodes of the simpsons, rather than the actual movie. I didn't even chuckle once. I am. well, i was, a simpsons fan but only the old episodes. The new episodes are crap. This movie was just a 2 hour special of the new episodes in my eyes. Two hours of crap.
  45. JamesK.
    Dec 29, 2007
    the simpsons has being getting worse and worse for years now. and spider pig is not funny!
  46. Dec 14, 2011
    Only funny if you watch it in theaters. You need an audience to appreciate and laugh hard while watching this. It's also only funny the first time. It lacks the charm and everything else that the show has. I was also discussed by the showing of Bart's penis. The writing was okay. My favorite line was "Spiderpig, Spiderpig, does what ever Spiderpig does, can he swing from a web no he can'tOnly funny if you watch it in theaters. You need an audience to appreciate and laugh hard while watching this. It's also only funny the first time. It lacks the charm and everything else that the show has. I was also discussed by the showing of Bart's penis. The writing was okay. My favorite line was "Spiderpig, Spiderpig, does what ever Spiderpig does, can he swing from a web no he can't he's a pig lookout, lookout for Spiderpig." I'm not sure if that is how you write that line but you understand what I'm getting at. Expand
  47. Nov 10, 2014
    Many fans of The Simpsons Movie were very critical of it. While I understand why, the fact is that many of them just don't realize that this film wasn't made for them. Criticism range from the film not being edgy enough, to the fact that the film didn't take place in Springfield and didn't utilize the side characters much, but again, the film wasn't meant for the die hard Simpsons fan.Many fans of The Simpsons Movie were very critical of it. While I understand why, the fact is that many of them just don't realize that this film wasn't made for them. Criticism range from the film not being edgy enough, to the fact that the film didn't take place in Springfield and didn't utilize the side characters much, but again, the film wasn't meant for the die hard Simpsons fan. While the show has been on for more than a quarter century, prior to the films release, ratings for the show were in the toilet, and it was only being kept alive by syndication and merchandising money. The point of the film was to be childish and geared towards a younger audience. While fans of the show were expecting the film to be extreme like the South Park movie, what they got amounted to little more than a children's movie. The fans were upset, but the studios gamble paid off, as the ratings went up and have continued to be much better. For those who didn't see it, the film focuses on Homer, who made the mistake of polluting the town, to a point where the EPA put a big dome over Springfield to separate it from the rest of the country. As angry town folks form a mob, intent on getting Homer, the family escapes and goes on the run. The film is far from being the best the Simpsons has to offer, but it served it's purpose in attracting younger viewers and raising the ratings. Fans may have been upset with Matt Groening, but what he did saved the show for who knows how many future seasons. The film isn't spectacular, but it was good for introducing new fans to the characters we all know and love. Expand
  48. Mar 23, 2015
    Epic fail this should have been 2 an half hours long filled with satirical humor and critical insights about humanity but nope we get spider pig . It should have had a R rating since they did not have to deal with TV censorship but nope they went for quick money of pg13 . What a complete waste just think of all the hard critique of society failure got thrown out for profit. This movieEpic fail this should have been 2 an half hours long filled with satirical humor and critical insights about humanity but nope we get spider pig . It should have had a R rating since they did not have to deal with TV censorship but nope they went for quick money of pg13 . What a complete waste just think of all the hard critique of society failure got thrown out for profit. This movie marks when they completely sold-out. The show itself has lost it's sense of fun and commentary because of Al Jean. They could have crammed more jokes in a lot more. Had I been in charge I would have used the actors to help get this movie to be 3 hours long. Expand
  49. DavidL.
    Jul 29, 2007
    Definitely funny, highly entertaining. There was unfortunately a complete lack of Sideshow Bob and very little Mr Burns. I would say that the writers crossed the line on 3 occasions which was upsetting for this longtime fan. There was no need to see Bart's genitals, Homer giving the middle finger, or Marge using the "G-D" phrase. The writers should be above that.
  50. Spongeee
    Jul 30, 2007
    The movie runs parallel with the Simpsons of today. The show reached its prime in the mid to late 90s and has been pretty funny since. The movie itself is pretty funny but fails to reach the prime. Thats ok. It's still way kewl to see the Simpsons on large format and the 3D animation really gives it a big world feel which a tv to film transfer needs and deserves. If you liked the The movie runs parallel with the Simpsons of today. The show reached its prime in the mid to late 90s and has been pretty funny since. The movie itself is pretty funny but fails to reach the prime. Thats ok. It's still way kewl to see the Simpsons on large format and the 3D animation really gives it a big world feel which a tv to film transfer needs and deserves. If you liked the Simpsons at any point, go see this movie. Def worth a shot. Expand
  51. JoeG.
    Jul 30, 2007
    Very very funny movie. Simpsons kept constant laughs coming (usually at least once a minute) in its typical style of humor. The only part that was slow was (POSSIBLE SPOILERS) after Homer's family left him in Alaska (END SPOILERS)... But then the movie came back with a hilarious joke (to be continued...). Overall good movie -- but not kid-friendly. A few offensive parts (relating to Very very funny movie. Simpsons kept constant laughs coming (usually at least once a minute) in its typical style of humor. The only part that was slow was (POSSIBLE SPOILERS) after Homer's family left him in Alaska (END SPOILERS)... But then the movie came back with a hilarious joke (to be continued...). Overall good movie -- but not kid-friendly. A few offensive parts (relating to the Bible and Christianity) but otherwise good. Again, it was FREAKIN HILARIOUS! Expand
  52. LuisO.
    Jul 30, 2007
    Give me a break to the person that said "Beware Carig Parents." There is nothing in this movie remotely offensive. And since when is the Simpsons considered a children's show anyway? Most of the jokes on the Simpsons are for a more adult audience and always have been. The only thing this movie does different than the series in that respect is that the jokes can be coupled with more Give me a break to the person that said "Beware Carig Parents." There is nothing in this movie remotely offensive. And since when is the Simpsons considered a children's show anyway? Most of the jokes on the Simpsons are for a more adult audience and always have been. The only thing this movie does different than the series in that respect is that the jokes can be coupled with more visuals that the uptight sensors at FOX would not approve for normal TV. But nothing offensive in the least. Bottom line, if you already let your kids watch the series, this movie is fine for them. Anyway, I thought the movie was awesome. The characters somehow became alive compared to how they act on TV when it comes to showing real emotion. The movie has some serious scenes and they serve to provide a lot of character development. Much more than what my expectations were for a Simpsons movie I must say. This is not Shakespeare people, it's the Simpsons. This movie will not make converts of people that are not already fans, but if you love the series, you will love the movie, period. Highly recommended. Expand
  53. JoeyK.
    Aug 10, 2007
    Everything that a reasonable person should expect from a Simpsons Movie. Not a great, innovative, or typical film, but the TV show transformed into a feature film in the only way that would work. The humor, while not the absolute best that The Simpsons has to offer, hearkens back to the prime of the show. I haven't really watched the show in ages. It got stale, preachy, and unfunny. Everything that a reasonable person should expect from a Simpsons Movie. Not a great, innovative, or typical film, but the TV show transformed into a feature film in the only way that would work. The humor, while not the absolute best that The Simpsons has to offer, hearkens back to the prime of the show. I haven't really watched the show in ages. It got stale, preachy, and unfunny. But this movie really reminded me of how the show used to be great. And good news, all the social and political commentary is right where it belongs: tucked away in snarky comments sprinkled throughout the movie. *Homer flipping through the Bible* "This book doesn't have any answers!" If you ever liked The Simpsons, you'll enjoy this movie, but it's nothing amazing. It's The Simpsons in movie form. That's all. Expand
  54. Jo-AnneM.
    Aug 17, 2007
    Enjoyed it so much. Laughed a lot, plan to see it again to catch what I didn't the first time around. Lots of big broad humour, but sly bits tucked in here and there to catch you up and make you roar with hilarity! Tell everyone to see this!
  55. RobB.
    Aug 2, 2007
    Disappointing for sure. You would think the writers would save some of their best gags for this venue, but it really was not even as good as a good Simpsons TV episode. The hardest I laughed was at the very beginning when the cartoon camera zooms through Springfield to spy on some of the characters, and we see Apu changing the expiration date from 2006 to 2008 on a carton of milk. That Disappointing for sure. You would think the writers would save some of their best gags for this venue, but it really was not even as good as a good Simpsons TV episode. The hardest I laughed was at the very beginning when the cartoon camera zooms through Springfield to spy on some of the characters, and we see Apu changing the expiration date from 2006 to 2008 on a carton of milk. That was the highlight for me. You would be much better off renting a Simpsons season DVD from your local video store. Expand
  56. DanF.
    Aug 6, 2007
    The first half is a 10, as I was completely involved and laughing hysterically the whole time. (Just about busted a gut when Homer said, "I helped a little".) The sharpness and angles available on the big screen were definitely new and fun. But the second half gets a 6, because the jokes are fewer and the plot doesn't have the weight to carry the movie. So 8 it is... It could have The first half is a 10, as I was completely involved and laughing hysterically the whole time. (Just about busted a gut when Homer said, "I helped a little".) The sharpness and angles available on the big screen were definitely new and fun. But the second half gets a 6, because the jokes are fewer and the plot doesn't have the weight to carry the movie. So 8 it is... It could have been condensed and made into two of the greatest Simpsons episodes of all time, but it was still worth seeing in the theater. Expand
  57. MatthieuR
    Aug 6, 2007
    The Simpsons movie was better than I expected, but, as others have pointed out, not quite as good as a top-tier episode. It's true that certain characters are barely in it, while others are too present, but overall this was a lot of fun. This movie was bound to be divisive (just read Robert K's tantrum below), but if you like the simpsons, you owe it to yourself to go see it!
  58. DanKelly
    Aug 9, 2007
    Smart, sassy and equally moronic The Simpsons Movie is everything a Simpsons fan could have wanted. A few gags where a bit generic but overall I was so happy that the film could achieve this level of quality considering the expectations that where heaped on it's shoulders.,
  59. FelizN.
    Sep 9, 2007
    Best movie in history of America! As a movie critic, this is kind of an amateur thing, but i highly recommend this film as a great movie! While your at the movies buy some billsberries! I gave it a 100 in my review for the Los Angeles Times, thank you.
  60. Eldon
    Jan 2, 2008
    Overall, so very lame. zzzzzzzzzz...
  61. Phil&Roxee
    Jan 8, 2008
    This movie was very funny and crazy and weird and cool ans hot and cute and beautiful and pretty and yellow and long and not long and dark and blue and red and orange and green and purple and that it !!! Good luck to understand !!!
  62. AlexG.
    Apr 11, 2008
    I am very annoyed with people who say that Th Simpsons are staling, ok a couple of the recent episodes haven't been up to the usual standards but they are still going strong this superb film is evident proof that the Simpson are better than ever before, pure brilliance right down to the last detail.
  63. thinkerrific
    Oct 10, 2007
    I have long loved The Simpsons. In the early years, you got both low-brow humor and brilliant, satirical humor that made the show appealing to all types of viewers. Recent seasons, as many have pointed out, have much less of the intelligent, have-to-be-culturally-aware-to-get-it humor that made it a classic, and much more "Dumb and Dumber" type of humor, relying mostly on gratuitous I have long loved The Simpsons. In the early years, you got both low-brow humor and brilliant, satirical humor that made the show appealing to all types of viewers. Recent seasons, as many have pointed out, have much less of the intelligent, have-to-be-culturally-aware-to-get-it humor that made it a classic, and much more "Dumb and Dumber" type of humor, relying mostly on gratuitous violence, and crass sexual humor. And unfortunately, the movie really was like one long episode of the current show, funny in parts, but mostly pandering to the baser, low-brow elements of society. (Can you say "white trash"?) Which means that although there are a few parts that are funny to people with brains, most of the movie is geared towards low-brow humor. It just isn't that great of a movie. The jokes were often forced, the plot not that engaging, and it just wasn't worth the money. I think a lot of us who have loved the Simpsons for a long time are fooling themselves into thinking that it is still as great as it once was... Sorry, guys, it is not the quality that it once was. This is a two out of four stars kind of movie, that's it. I felt like I accidentally walked into the wrong theater and was watching a mediocre kids movie... Expand
  64. ChuckB
    Dec 2, 2007
    Film worth seeing. Real rating would be 8,5, but wanted to give better rating just because some retards are giving it such a low score.
  65. SophieM.
    Oct 7, 2007
    A great movie, and one of the standouts of the summer. Not only is it great to see your favourite characters on the big screen, it's refreshing to see a cartoon in the cinema that isn't computer animated. Is it as good as the early Simpsons episodes? No, but aside from Futurama, nothing else is. The movie does a sublime job of reminding you of the wit and good humour of earlier A great movie, and one of the standouts of the summer. Not only is it great to see your favourite characters on the big screen, it's refreshing to see a cartoon in the cinema that isn't computer animated. Is it as good as the early Simpsons episodes? No, but aside from Futurama, nothing else is. The movie does a sublime job of reminding you of the wit and good humour of earlier episodes, and that makes a good movie in itself. I highly recommend this one. Expand
  66. BillieM.
    Oct 9, 2007
    Bloody hell, this movie rocks!!!
  67. SimpleGuy
    Jul 27, 2007
    Good Movie.. Mel presented Westerners as the Saviours at the end of the Movie but in fact they were they real invaders and conquerers.. And he also presented the Mayans as Savages when these people respected each other and also respected nature.. Really disappointed at Mel..
  68. TonyFake_dude
    Jul 27, 2007
    Best. Movie. Ever. I laughed until it hurt, then laughed some more. Then I watched a second showing of the film. This is, in my opinion, the best motion picture ever.
  69. BJN.
    Jul 27, 2007
    So much fun and laughs a plenty.
  70. MattA
    Jul 27, 2007
    Being a longtime simpson fan, i can just say that hearing anything about this movie put my stomach in knots. Luckily, this movie met all my expectations, and the writers always had a knack for getting laughs out of the unexpected. The laughs are genuine, and often, not low-brow. I couldn't of asked for more. Job well done!
  71. JosephB.
    Jul 27, 2007
    I just got back from the midnight showing of "The Simpsons Movie", and I have to be honest, it wasn't that great! It is much more offensive than my wife and I were thinking it would be going in, and we left with a sick feeling in our mouth as we left the theater. I turned to my wife and asked her if she liked it and she said "I hate this movie!" Please don't take your young kids I just got back from the midnight showing of "The Simpsons Movie", and I have to be honest, it wasn't that great! It is much more offensive than my wife and I were thinking it would be going in, and we left with a sick feeling in our mouth as we left the theater. I turned to my wife and asked her if she liked it and she said "I hate this movie!" Please don't take your young kids to see this movie...it is not a cartoon like the Pixar movies. BEWARE CARING PARENTS!!! Expand
  72. SteveS.
    Jul 28, 2007
    First half of the movie was non-stop laughs in the theater. The laughs slowed down some in the second half, but not sure they could have (or should have) sustained the pace set earlier. Very funny, very well done, very Simpsons!
  73. BlobbysB.
    Jul 28, 2007
    Some good site gags. Some funny lines. Average movie at best. Except for main 5 Simpsons - everyone else is barely a cameo.
  74. CharethC.
    Jul 28, 2007
    First of all, ignore Jospeh B, there's nothing particularly offensive about this movie other than the fact that I wasted 15 quid taking my family to see it. The positive reviews that it is receiving, I am assuming, are down to people WANTING to like this film. I know I wanted to, however, when all is said and done, it's just not funny. There are very few jokes for adults and to First of all, ignore Jospeh B, there's nothing particularly offensive about this movie other than the fact that I wasted 15 quid taking my family to see it. The positive reviews that it is receiving, I am assuming, are down to people WANTING to like this film. I know I wanted to, however, when all is said and done, it's just not funny. There are very few jokes for adults and to be honest not a great deal for the kids (I'm not to proud to laugh at people being juvenile, but it just wasn't there). Buy one of the earlier seasons on dvd instead of paying the ticket price, you'll have a much better time. Expand
  75. Scott
    Jul 28, 2007
    Nearly perfect. Hilarious through and through.
  76. BenW.
    Jul 29, 2007
    Joseph B.'s review was HILARIOUS. Did you think this was a pixar movie or something? Have you ever even seen the TV show? My opinion...the movie just wasn't all that good. The big screen didn't bring anything new to the simpson legacy. and the jokes were of the same caliber as the tv show. so i don't quite understand the point of making a movie at this point. it Joseph B.'s review was HILARIOUS. Did you think this was a pixar movie or something? Have you ever even seen the TV show? My opinion...the movie just wasn't all that good. The big screen didn't bring anything new to the simpson legacy. and the jokes were of the same caliber as the tv show. so i don't quite understand the point of making a movie at this point. it wasn't bad. but it definitely wasn't as good as it could have been. Expand
  77. Tim
    Flawlessly hilarious.
    Ima go see it 1 or 2 more times.
    Jul 30, 2007
    I thought it was pretty funny. It easily kept my attention because of all the jokes and excitement. People who're easily offended may not like the movie, it's not made by Pixar and is not supposed to be a Pixar movie so don't expect it to be one.
  79. DavidT.
    Jul 30, 2007
    Brilliant. A breath of fresh air after a lack luster summer of formula-driven unoriginal sequels.
  80. ScottS.
    Jul 30, 2007
    Excellent. Those offended have not been paying attention to the TV show, or don't understand what The Simpson's are about. America's first family make their leap to the big screen in the exact manner they should: wittily, lovingly, and, of course, subversively.
  81. LiamL.
    Aug 1, 2007
    Good, but the animation was a bit 'fantasia-esque' and the jokes are particularly worn out by the "leaking" on YouTube.
  82. MasonW
    Aug 1, 2007
    I have loved the satirical witty humor the simpsons made famous from 91-98. but this movie is awful. mind of mencia type jokes- cliched, stale and done before. i wanted just a few laughs, and got none. it seems like the writers didn't even try to be witty.
  83. BarkJ.
    Aug 1, 2007
    WHAT A BAD MOVIE! I mean, the story went nowhere and in the end, well, the movie just randomly ended. I have no idea of how these movie critics rate movies. Really, it just boggles my mind. Please, don't make a sequel.
  84. DanP
    Aug 14, 2007
    I haven't been a fan since the 11th season ended with more and more mindless stupidity and poor writing, but the film was a pleasant surprise. Still dumb and random and not nearly as intelligent as Season 4 or 5, but at least it was along the same level as season 9 or 10.
  85. Walter
    Aug 15, 2007
    I am a Simpson's fanatic...this was a good movie, not a great one. It's basically a long Simpson's episode. It was funny, not hysterical, good not great, and recommendable, but not must-see. For a script that took so many years to put together, it might've been better, but overall a good movie with good laughs, just not great laughs.
  86. RienyeN
    Aug 15, 2007
    I have to admit i had high expectations for this movie and even though it didn't disappoint, i still feel there was something missing...or it felt like an ultra-long episode of the series. All in all, it was great for laughs and very entertaining.
  87. SteveG.
    Aug 16, 2007
    The Simpsons Movie shares all the faults of the last six or seven seasons of this once-great show. Only sporadically funny (the Ralph Wiggum appearance in the first frames is genius), overly reliant on guest stars, and unnecessarily surreal. What happened? The Simpsons used to be, quite simply, the best satirical entertainment on TV. For the last few years the writing has been lazy and The Simpsons Movie shares all the faults of the last six or seven seasons of this once-great show. Only sporadically funny (the Ralph Wiggum appearance in the first frames is genius), overly reliant on guest stars, and unnecessarily surreal. What happened? The Simpsons used to be, quite simply, the best satirical entertainment on TV. For the last few years the writing has been lazy and self-referential, and at times downright cruel. The film makes the mistake of following Homer through his odyssey of self-discovery while largely ignoring the other wonderful characters, who are consigned to bit parts. Even Bart and Lisa are left stranded without a decent storyline. What a waste... Expand
  88. RockPaperScissors
    Aug 2, 2007
    The critics should go back and upgrade the Simpsons movie to universal acclaim status. Because this is hilariously delicious movie.
  89. ChrisV
    Aug 21, 2007
    Its an ok movie, not great, but... ill definitely buy it on dvd when it comes out.
  90. JohnF.
    Aug 20, 2007
    President Hilary? Global Warming. Alaska being raped? Dumb President? I thought Michael Moore wrote the script for this movie. Preachy, boring and not very funning. I love the TV Show, but this was a "beat over the head" about current politics and not very subtle.
  91. dd.
    Aug 26, 2007
    The best and nothing short of it.
  92. JexxaS.
    Aug 30, 2007
    I don't think there were any flaws in the film. It wasn't like a normal Simpsons episode because it was a bigger adventure but it was just as funny. I feel that the writers were more daring than normal in some of their gags such as when Bart was skateboarding or when Homer was going down the sandpit. A great film and I will definitely be getting it on DVD.
  93. JackB.
    Aug 9, 2007
    I thought this was a good movie, some of it was inappropriate for kids, and some of it was kid-friendly. The main plot of the story was global warming. One flaw of this movie was they milked spider-pig so much, he was only in the movie for about 5 minutes. overall, I'd say it was a pretty good movie.
  94. Oligami
    Sep 1, 2007
    I really like the show, and the movie doesn't dissapoint. I expected more jokes though.
  95. ColinC
    Sep 5, 2007
    Good fun. I you like the Simpsons, you'll enjoy this movie.
  96. KenC
    Jan 10, 2008
    Ok - Like the later Simpson's episodes - just missing that IT stuff.
  97. JeremyX
    Jan 18, 2008
    I agree, some of the newer Simpsons episodes of the last 3 series' have been pretty bad, but I know I will watch them again and realise that it is really funny. I thought that the Simpsons was getting bad since around series 13 or so, but I watch the episodes again and found that the jokes are among the funniest. The Simpsons should keep going, and this film has proven this. The film I agree, some of the newer Simpsons episodes of the last 3 series' have been pretty bad, but I know I will watch them again and realise that it is really funny. I thought that the Simpsons was getting bad since around series 13 or so, but I watch the episodes again and found that the jokes are among the funniest. The Simpsons should keep going, and this film has proven this. The film itself had a laugh almost every minute until it became more and more serious, but you can tell that even then the writers didn't take it too seriously. The Simpsons Movie was produced by almost all the executive producers has ever had and even though some of us expected better, I'm sure they will make up for it in the next movie. Expand
  98. ArthurX
    Jan 21, 2008
    I came for laughs, and this movie delivered. The first 30 minutes alone is worth the ticket/movie price.
  99. LincLink
    Jan 21, 2008
    I LOVED the film. I am especially thrilled when they deal with Shamanism, or anything Spiritual and/or Psychedelic on the show...and the Northern Shamanita was GREAT; funny, moving and gorgeous animation to watch.
  100. WilliamT
    Jan 25, 2008
    Although funny and clever at times, The Simpsons Movie is basically just an extended episode. No giant plot twists, and you feel that some of the characters have been left out or given a very brief moment on screen. Then again, over 20 years of Episodes means that it might be just a bit hard to fit them into 80 minutes. If you love everything Simpson, watch this but be prepared to be a Although funny and clever at times, The Simpsons Movie is basically just an extended episode. No giant plot twists, and you feel that some of the characters have been left out or given a very brief moment on screen. Then again, over 20 years of Episodes means that it might be just a bit hard to fit them into 80 minutes. If you love everything Simpson, watch this but be prepared to be a tad disappointed. If you aren't a fan, then you'll just be watching some other animated movie. Not bad, it just has way too much legacy to live up to for it to become a classic. Expand

1. It's hard not to like it. And in both senses of the phrase, America keeps asking for it.
    It would be a stretch to call The Simpsons Movie more than a crisper, livelier-looking episode of the series. The change in mediums changes nothing.
  3. The result is two-tiered humor, broad enough to appeal to anybody but overlaid with jokes that will be funnier if you know the show.