3.3

1. Mar 30, 2014
    SMURFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . the only smurfs know is how to take shrooms . its kinda boring but its kinda gay . if 5 years old watch this they have a drug problem . but its 55 % enjoyable 99 % awful . Grade C- maybe a D-
  2. Feb 7, 2014
    Disappointing in every aspect. Smurfs 2 is a far cry from its predecessor...gone are the wise cracking, scene stealing favorites from the Smurfs first big screen, big city adventure. While the interaction between real life humans and make believe is as smooth as before, this is not nearly enough to make up for rushed scenes, poor character development and an unimaginative story line. Even the youngest critic in our house was bored and uninterested, despite an ongoing love and continuous playing of The Smurfs (1).
    Maybe borrow this one, or wait for NetFlix, definitely not worth the DVD investment.
  3. Dec 21, 2013
    The vast majority of times the second is worse than the first, but Batman: The Dark Knight change that, The Smurfs 2 also did just a little better. There are several characters who never have imagined Peyo and entered in this film (as socialist and party planner). I seemed unnecessary wear and tear Brendan's character and the young Jacob Greeson Tremblay artante becomes to some extent. Another bad thing is that the plot remains very similar to that of the first (involving more than one theme in Smurfette). And another bad thing obvious end. What I liked entertaining and fun with good comedic moments for the younger children. Hank Azaria is a good actor who comes with snug Gargamel Peyo. Expand
  4. Dec 3, 2013
    I'm not sure if I like the first one or this one more. The absence of Gutsy and Brainy didn't work for me well, and the rescue part took a while, but that's pretty much all that I disliked about this movie. The action was fun, the character relationships were heartwarming, and the Smurf computer animation is still a wonder.
  5. Nov 25, 2013
    I didn't care for the first film because it was just an annoying mess of bad jokes and bad acting--However, the special effects were decent. Not much has changed in this sequel as the jokes are still really, really bad and the acting is hammy and groan-inducing but the story did feel like they were trying to add some emotion to it as we see Smurfette deal with the isolation of feeling like she doesn't belong mirrored with Patrick's stepfather desperately trying to be a positive influence in his life. Sadly, this emphasis on story elements that feel like they have some heart to it are still surrounded by bad "blue" humor and acting gorged on scenery. But the special effects are still decent... Expand
  6. Oct 9, 2013
    OK been waiting for months for The Smurfs 2 finally arrived at the land of smiles (just about the most fitting place for Smurfs to live!)
    I'm pretty disappointed in this movie as a big smurf fan I'll go straight to the point for the good the bad and the verdict.
    The Good:
    -Improvements in cinematography,it's far more colorful this time around and the camera tricks works brilliantly at
    most part lighting is about right not too bright and not even one scene look dimmed.
    -Good voice acting...ok for the most part Jonathan Winters did a swansong and each voice actors actually playing against each other now.
    -It got THE HAPPY ENDING,just perfect! too bad it's the best scene in the movie (because it's ending...)
    -The cuteness and chemistry between Clumsy Vanity and Grouchy is literally off the chart!

The Bad:
    -Inconsistent pacing,it actually all over the place the movie takes way too long to starts and by the time you starts to really get along with the lovely blue buddies you realized it took over an hour mark by that point which is just about the same time movie starts to slow itself down and it drags pretty badly.
    -Very predictable story just like the recent Doraemon movies Smurfs 2 story is all too obvious to the point that i can see what's going to happen next right away coupled with inconsistent pacing makes it a pretty boring movie for anyone above 9 years of age.
    -Messy dialogue often I find the smurfs are way too talkative at the wrong time like a very emotional climatic moment and that's just ruined the moment,everybody tries too hard to steal other smurfs spotlight with series of one liners way too often which is very annoying and it goes one through the whole movie.
    -Oh poor Azrael it's unnecessary to have him at all in the movie since all i see him doing is just fooling around and just there to get beaten for 40 minutes this is just wrong I know he's a bad cat but damn why
    it always have to him to take the beating?
    -Bunch of bad jokes wasted on so many potentially good scenes it interfered the flow leading to its inconsistent pacing.
    -Unfunny Garmagel He just...bored and tired just like Hank Azaria he just stopped being funny and even
    worse stopped being a charismatic villain which we all knew him for.

The Verdict:
    It's an OK movie for kids pretty boring for adults it just more of the same with the added family elements which is pretty forced and mostly ineffective to most audiences at least they got good message for kids unlike the first movie which it got nothing and The Smurfs 2 fortunately starts to really shines...just few minutes before the credits roll...
    You want The proper smurfs movie look somewhere else stick to both of Sony's recent mini-movies and you watch that you'll realize you just wasted 100+ minutes on the disgrace to the smurfs franchise.
  7. Sep 21, 2013
    The Smurfs 2 is a cool movie; a Rescue Mission movie. I like to impress Disney to get the Smurfs.

If you don't like Sony's Smurfs Movie. Why not let Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios to make a CGI Smurfs movie, Pixar can make a Great CGI, Best Movie Stories and will be an Epic Adventure, in the vein of The Adventures of TinTin.
  8. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nutshell review: this movie stinks. Worse than this, buried beneath the all-sortsa-people-make-family message (delivered only sightly less heavy-handedly than the sledgehammered-into-the-frame product placement) was THIS message: The grey Smurfs are 'bad', and worthless to their creator Gargamel. They later become 'good' and of critical value to him, and are subsequently accepted into the Smurf community AFTER THEY CHANGE THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN. Great message for the kids there, Columbia. I want my money back. Expand
  9. Sep 7, 2013
    I was not sure what to expect when walking into Smurfs 2. Knowing the target audience was for little children, I didn't feel I was bound to enjoy the little blue critters for 100 minutes. Though I still wasn't a fan of the film, I did find myself laughing a few times, and seemed to be entertained with the story.

Smurfette; the main character in the film, was originally captured by
    Gargamel, is caught again by his Naughties. As Smurfette bonds with them and becomes closer to Gargamel's family, the other Smurfs, Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris), and Grace (Jayma Mays), try to save her.

Writing this review, I have mixed feelings about Smurfs 2. I actually enjoyed the story, but they really simplified it, so that kids would understand the movie. It was blatantly obvious throughout the film that the children did not have to think about what they were watching. Something would happen, and then a character would explain what just happened on screen. I thought that Hank Azaria (Gargamel) really enjoyed his time in the movie and he became his character for Smurfs 2. Neil Patrick Harris also did as good a job as he did in the first film.

I did not like that all the characters would add "Smurf" to a lot of the words that they would say, and could tell that some of the scenes were just filler, and didn't really add anything to the movie or storyline. After thinking very hard about this review, and re-watching some scenes to get a better understanding, I have come to the conclusion that I actually enjoyed the film.

I thought that it was funny at some points for me, even though I’m not the target demographic and had a few good plot turns I was not expecting. I truly felt that the kids really had a good time watching it.

Overall, I’d actually recommend The Smurfs 2, and think you will have a good time watching it, even if you are not the right age group. If Alvin and the Chipmunks took a big step forward in quality, with a more “advanced” script, we would have Smurfs 2. After looking online, it got an average of two stars, and I think that this is one film that you should ignore the ratings for, and go see.
  10. Sep 3, 2013
    While I fortunately have no idea how this stacks up in comparison to the first Smurfs movie, The Smurfs 2 is a tragic attempt at family storytelling that pales in comparison to the excellent crop of animations from earlier this year. When Smurfette (Katy Perry) is abducted y Gargamel (Hank Azaria) and his new creations, the Naughties, two white Smurfs called Vexy (Christina Ricci) and Hackus (J.B Smoove), Papa Smurf and a small group head to the real world to save her with the help of their human friends. While not completely unwatchable, The Smurfs 2 is a film solely aimed at children so therefore its bright, odd but supposedly wonderful things happen and it all works out in the end. It also means that the grown ups are forced to take their kids to it and must sit through some of the worst dialogue and story ever to grace the big screen as talented actors such as Neil Patrick Harris and Brendan Gleeson are forced to act like irrational buffoons. Harris gets the worst of it as he acts like a spoilt 14 year old boy for most of the movie (with a cringe worthy step father bonding relationship thrown in for good measure.). The voice work is find and the film doesn't drag per se but it doesn't entertain anyone but people who don't know any better and probably the criminally insane. My suggestion is if you have children wait for the DVD and then leave it for them to watch when you are out and the babysitter has to be forced to watch it. Expand
  11. Aug 27, 2013
    I cannot believe I spent my money in this kind of movie. The trailers make you hope a lot, but it disappoints you in every sense of the word. In my opinion "The Smurfs 2" deserves the "Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Movie of the Year". If you really want to see it, buy a copy, do not waste your money.
  12. Aug 16, 2013
    I enjoyed The Smurfs for what it was, seeing childhood characters on the big screen, interacting with humans, in a live action 3D animated film, it was funny and entertaining. But The Smurfs 2 recalls everything The Smurfs delivered to us, added with some new story and slapstick humor, it wasn't funny enough and wasn't that much entertaining, in fact, it was boring, recommended for only under 8, for them it will be the event of the year. Expand
  13. Aug 14, 2013
    Bringing the original to an even more unremarkable state, "The Smurfs 2" is plain out awful. With its overabundant uses of the word "smurf", and several other ludicrous remarks, adults and even kids will most likely be bored by the film, which is a huge disaster, as even kids find joy to almost everything put out there. With the lack of strong story elements, a handful of absurd jokes, with characters that have zero character development, or plot twists and turns, "The Smurfs 2" hits a low for kids film. Expand
  14. Aug 11, 2013
    My review is simple I took my three kids (ages 7, 5, and 3) to see it and they all laughed the entire time. That's the target audience, so it works. Most adults will not enjoy it, but it's not really for us.
  15. Aug 9, 2013
    This movie is one of the worst movies I've watched.I mean it has no story at all.And I don't think they should make another smurfs movie cause I know that It will be terrible.
  16. Aug 5, 2013
    A pathetic unfunny film where it is so obvious that the people behind this had no intention of even trying to make a somewhat decent film. The live animation is horrible and kids will certainly not find this even remotely enjoyable.
  17. Aug 3, 2013
    I actually liked the first smurfs movie so i was looking forward to seeing what they could do with this and when i saw it i was dissapointed at how rubbish the film was. I got not many laughs out of this film and some parts where just boring for me. But i will praise the 3D that was really. Even though that i hated it kids still seemed to get a laugh out of it and even some adults will enjoy it with there families i just didnt like it Expand
  18. Aug 2, 2013
    Okay, yeah. It was a bad movie. But it was still funny. I found myself laughing at just how dumb the movie was, which to me makes it a little better. Also, John Oliver does the voice of Vanity, which is always a plus in my book.
  19. FRG
    Aug 1, 2013
    The worst movie i ever seen in my life.Seriously,avoid this at all costs,no matter if you want to see or not,avoid this awful movie at all costs.A total waste of money.
  20. Jul 31, 2013
    This is truly one of the worst films I've ever seen in years, the first smurfs movie was horrible and it made a lot of money and this is even worse, poor done script, bad acting, bad CGI, Tasteless jokes and insufferable, now the cartoon that I Watched back in the 80's was one of the best cartoons ever made, cause it had something that the current smurfs movie lacked and that's a story.
    and I Really think that supporting actress christina ricci who voices one of the dreadful naughties has broken faith with her audience, she's too good of an actress herself (the addams family movies) not to know that this script really stunk.
  21. Jul 31, 2013
    This insipid, and sometimes awkward, blend of animation, computer generation and live action wastes a ton of talent and lacks a true sense of whimsy...
  22. Jul 31, 2013
    Kids will enjoy the Smurfs because it's what we've now taught them, as a society, is a good movie for them. We're to blame here. Because we know that's not the case. We know there are animated films out there of merit that both kids and adults can enjoy together. But for some reason, a few of these animated movies go the route of being egregiously simple-minded and repugnant.
  23. Jul 31, 2013
    This movie is meant for kids and people who love the smurfs tv show not for any adult and it does very well to please this category. The first movie wasn't great but this is head and shoulders better.
  24. Jul 31, 2013
    I never expect Avatar-like or Pixar like CGI from any movie, but these are terrible for a live action animated film! I can put this into the category of bad FX (where i put Jack the giant slayer as well!) Story wise, this is just a passable movie that single-digit-aged viewers can enjoy!(but forcefully) Shameless product placement,Strained plot contrivances, toothless humor are filled in this overstuffed plot! Just the same as the first one!(or even worse) Easily the worst animated film of the year, as everyone expected! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Aug 3, 2013
    It’s just a big blue blur – too anodyne to elicit more than heavy sighs, too full of Smurfs not to recommend solely to the under-eights.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Aug 2, 2013
    It’s the same sappy drivel as before.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Aug 2, 2013
    The interplay between animated and live-action elements remains a selling point: Hank Azaria again gives exemplary pantomime as Gargamel.