The Smurfs 2

3.5

1. Aug 11, 2013
    My review is simple I took my three kids (ages 7, 5, and 3) to see it and they all laughed the entire time. That's the target audience, so it works. Most adults will not enjoy it, but it's not really for us.
  2. Oct 9, 2013
    OK been waiting for months for The Smurfs 2 finally arrived at the land of smiles (just about the most fitting place for Smurfs to live!)
    I'm pretty disappointed in this movie as a big smurf fan I'll go straight to the point for the good the bad and the verdict.
    The Good: -Improvements in cinematography,it's far more colorful this time around and the camera tricks works brilliantly at
    The Good:
    -Improvements in cinematography,it's far more colorful this time around and the camera tricks works brilliantly at most part lighting is about right not too bright and not even one scene look dimmed.
    -Good voice acting...ok for the most part Jonathan Winters did a swansong and each voice actors actually playing against each other now.
    -It got THE HAPPY ENDING,just perfect! too bad it's the best scene in the movie (because it's ending...)
    -The cuteness and chemistry between Clumsy Vanity and Grouchy is literally off the chart!

The Bad:
    -Inconsistent pacing,it actually all over the place the movie takes way too long to starts and by the time you starts to really get along with the lovely blue buddies you realized it took over an hour mark by that point which is just about the same time movie starts to slow itself down and it drags pretty badly.
    -Very predictable story just like the recent Doraemon movies Smurfs 2 story is all too obvious to the point that i can see what's going to happen next right away coupled with inconsistent pacing makes it a pretty boring movie for anyone above 9 years of age.
    -Messy dialogue often I find the smurfs are way too talkative at the wrong time like a very emotional climatic moment and that's just ruined the moment,everybody tries too hard to steal other smurfs spotlight with series of one liners way too often which is very annoying and it goes one through the whole movie.
    -Oh poor Azrael it's unnecessary to have him at all in the movie since all i see him doing is just fooling around and just there to get beaten for 40 minutes this is just wrong I know he's a bad cat but damn why
    it always have to him to take the beating?
    -Bunch of bad jokes wasted on so many potentially good scenes it interfered the flow leading to its inconsistent pacing.
    -Unfunny Garmagel He just...bored and tired just like Hank Azaria he just stopped being funny and even
    worse stopped being a charismatic villain which we all knew him for.

The Verdict:
    It's an OK movie for kids pretty boring for adults it just more of the same with the added family elements which is pretty forced and mostly ineffective to most audiences at least they got good message for kids unlike the first movie which it got nothing and The Smurfs 2 fortunately starts to really shines...just few minutes before the credits roll...
    You want The proper smurfs movie look somewhere else stick to both of Sony's recent mini-movies and you watch that you'll realize you just wasted 100+ minutes on the disgrace to the smurfs franchise.
  3. Aug 3, 2013
    I actually liked the first smurfs movie so i was looking forward to seeing what they could do with this and when i saw it i was dissapointed at how rubbish the film was. I got not many laughs out of this film and some parts where just boring for me. But i will praise the 3D that was really. Even though that i hated it kids still seemed to get a laugh out of it and even some adults willI actually liked the first smurfs movie so i was looking forward to seeing what they could do with this and when i saw it i was dissapointed at how rubbish the film was. I got not many laughs out of this film and some parts where just boring for me. But i will praise the 3D that was really. Even though that i hated it kids still seemed to get a laugh out of it and even some adults will enjoy it with there families i just didnt like it Expand
  4. Sep 7, 2013
    I was not sure what to expect when walking into Smurfs 2. Knowing the target audience was for little children, I didn't feel I was bound to enjoy the little blue critters for 100 minutes. Though I still wasn't a fan of the film, I did find myself laughing a few times, and seemed to be entertained with the story.

Smurfette; the main character in the film, was originally captured by

Smurfette; the main character in the film, was originally captured by Gargamel, is caught again by his Naughties. As Smurfette bonds with them and becomes closer to Gargamel's family, the other Smurfs, Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris), and Grace (Jayma Mays), try to save her.

Writing this review, I have mixed feelings about Smurfs 2. I actually enjoyed the story, but they really simplified it, so that kids would understand the movie. It was blatantly obvious throughout the film that the children did not have to think about what they were watching. Something would happen, and then a character would explain what just happened on screen. I thought that Hank Azaria (Gargamel) really enjoyed his time in the movie and he became his character for Smurfs 2. Neil Patrick Harris also did as good a job as he did in the first film.

I did not like that all the characters would add "Smurf" to a lot of the words that they would say, and could tell that some of the scenes were just filler, and didn't really add anything to the movie or storyline. After thinking very hard about this review, and re-watching some scenes to get a better understanding, I have come to the conclusion that I actually enjoyed the film.

I thought that it was funny at some points for me, even though I’m not the target demographic and had a few good plot turns I was not expecting. I truly felt that the kids really had a good time watching it.

Overall, I’d actually recommend The Smurfs 2, and think you will have a good time watching it, even if you are not the right age group. If Alvin and the Chipmunks took a big step forward in quality, with a more “advanced” script, we would have Smurfs 2. After looking online, it got an average of two stars, and I think that this is one film that you should ignore the ratings for, and go see.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Aug 3, 2013
    It’s just a big blue blur – too anodyne to elicit more than heavy sighs, too full of Smurfs not to recommend solely to the under-eights.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Aug 2, 2013
    It’s the same sappy drivel as before.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Aug 2, 2013
    The interplay between animated and live-action elements remains a selling point: Hank Azaria again gives exemplary pantomime as Gargamel.