Columbia Pictures | Release Date: July 31, 2013
3.8
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 139 Ratings
Watch Now
MonkiReviewsMay 30, 2017
They made the mix of live action and anination better, which is the best part. The characters haven't changed and made it feel normal. I didn't like the story. It didn't even change, it feels the same! It was funny though.
McJuggerThunderApr 15, 2017
We all know that The Smurfs was bad. So why make a sequel that was even worse? It's best to steer clear of this mess. Find something else, like Trolls.
SimpsonFansSep 21, 2016
OK been waiting for months for The Smurfs 2 finally arrived at the land of Peace (just about the most fitting place for Smurfs to live!)
I'm pretty disappointed in this movie as a big smurf fan I'll go straight to the point for the good the bad and the verdict.

The Good:
-Improvements in cinematography,it's far more colorful this time around and the camera tricks works brilliantly at most part lighting is about right not too bright and not even one scene look dimmed.
-Good voice acting...ok for the most part Jonathan Winters did a swansong and each voice actors actually playing against each other now.
-It got THE HAPPY ENDING,just perfect! too bad it's the best scene in the movie (because it's ending...)
-The cuteness and chemistry between Clumsy Vanity and Grouchy is literally off the chart!

The Bad:
-Inconsistent pacing,it actually all over the place the movie takes way too long to starts and by the time you starts to really get along with the lovely blue buddies you realized it took over an hour mark by that point which is just about the same time movie starts to slow itself down and it drags pretty badly.
-Very predictable story just like the recent Doraemon movies Smurfs 2 story is all too obvious to the point that i can see what's going to happen next right away coupled with inconsistent pacing makes it a pretty boring movie for anyone above 9 years of age.
-Messy dialogue often I find the smurfs are way too talkative at the wrong time like a very emotional climatic moment and that's just ruined the moment,everybody tries too hard to steal other smurfs spotlight with series of one liners way too often which is very annoying and it goes one through the whole movie.
-Oh poor Azrael it's unnecessary to have him at all in the movie since all i see him doing is just fooling around and just there to get beaten for 40 minutes this is just wrong I know he's a bad cat but damn why
it always have to him to take the beating?
-Bunch of bad jokes wasted on so many potentially good scenes it interfered the flow leading to its inconsistent pacing.
-Unfunny Garmagel He just...bored and tired just like Hank Azaria he just stopped being funny and even
worse stopped being a charismatic villain which we all knew him for.

The Verdict:
It's an OK movie for kids pretty boring for adults it just more of the same with the added family elements which is pretty forced and mostly ineffective to most audiences at least they got good message for kids unlike the first movie which it got nothing and The Smurfs 2 fortunately starts to really shines...just few minutes before the credits roll...
You want The proper smurfs movie look somewhere else
superbatAug 26, 2016
The first one may have been bad, but this is even worse. The kids is my theater were not laughing, and I fell asleep during the movie. Bad acting, bad plot, bad characters. hated it.
gameguardian21Aug 17, 2016
A sequel that does nothing to improve on the original, the smurfs 2 is just two stupid, boring, and completely uninteresting in any ideas it tries to crack.
TheQuietGamerAug 12, 2016
I liked the first one. Admittedly it's kind of hard to complain about this one as well. It's perfectly suitable for kids. The younger the better though. It's humor isn't sophisticated enough to make it a hit for the whole family. It'sI liked the first one. Admittedly it's kind of hard to complain about this one as well. It's perfectly suitable for kids. The younger the better though. It's humor isn't sophisticated enough to make it a hit for the whole family. It's probably better to leave this one as a watch exclusively for the kids.

It's basically just more of the same, only more cringe-worthy. Both the humor and plot are very simple and almost exactly like what we saw in the first movie. Kids will still get laughs, but the parents and members of the family older than 12 are likely to be pretty bored. Even as a fan of the first, I only found a few minor chuckles here and there.

Part of what makes the thing so hard to watch for older audiences are the performances. The Smurfs themselves bring down their own movie. The majority of them are underused. The focus is primarily on Smurfette and the two new characters. Katy Perry and Christina Ricci put no effort into actually delivering their lines. The rest of the Smurf cast does fine, but like I said they are underutilized.

The human character are much better. Their drama, while familiar, is actually likable and does a better job of delivering the message of family than their Smurf counterparts. They too, however, are underutilized. So underutilized that it leads you to wonder why they were even brought back for this sequel in the first place.

I could go on and on listing flaws with the movie, talking about things like how bad some of the dialog can be, but none of that really matters in the end. This is simply a movie meant for really young kids. In that department it succeeds wildly. It's harmless, sugary sweet entertainment that will dazzle and amuse any kid who watches it. It's definitely going to bore the majority of older audiences and tries to shove way too much pop culture down the kiddies throats, but it's not bad for what it is.

Pick it up and let it entertain your kids for a while. You'll be able to get some stuff done and they'll get plenty of laughs. Just don't make it one that you watch with them for family movie night. Even as an older movie watcher who really like the previous Smurfs, I didn't have much fun here.
TheLonelyCriticJun 28, 2016
The Naughties? SERIOUSLY!? Look, you may have a young target audience, but even my 6 year old cousin found that name unoriginal! Trust me though, that's not all. I do give credit to the movie that it's at least trying something newer than theThe Naughties? SERIOUSLY!? Look, you may have a young target audience, but even my 6 year old cousin found that name unoriginal! Trust me though, that's not all. I do give credit to the movie that it's at least trying something newer than the first movie, but the jokes and scenes are so forced and clichéd. The only enjoyment from this movie is Hank Azaria as Gargamel. It's a fitting casting choice and he is quite good in this. Everything else about the movie will prompt smart people to stay the smurf away! Expand
FuturedirectorMay 6, 2016
The smurfs II is illogical, that uses the same bad story-telling and the same characters, with a very simple plot, nothing interesting to show, and a normal message that is not the same as its predecessor. Of course,Mathis is one of theThe smurfs II is illogical, that uses the same bad story-telling and the same characters, with a very simple plot, nothing interesting to show, and a normal message that is not the same as its predecessor. Of course,Mathis is one of the worsts sequels ever. There's only a bad quality in this film, and nothing else. Expand
nahtan1244Mar 17, 2016
The first movie was passable yet mediocre kids entertainment. The second movie is so much worse. There given an even worse script this time. how could this be rated higher than the smurfs which is while not far better is just a generallyThe first movie was passable yet mediocre kids entertainment. The second movie is so much worse. There given an even worse script this time. how could this be rated higher than the smurfs which is while not far better is just a generally better acted and paced movie overall. Gone is the sometimes funny antics of gargamels cat, gone is neil patricks harris good acting skills gone is the bumbling yet evil wizard garagmel. Now he is just bumbling and not very evil. once again smurfette is an annoying damsel in distress and were stuck with two horribly portrayed smurf creations. The people behind the making of this were clearly not even trying to make a good movie. Everyone took 3 giant steps back from the last movie. What a forgettable and lame excuse for a children's movie Expand
EpicLadySpongeDec 30, 2015
And they won't stop with these Smurfs movies. Grab your equipment and call it a day while you're watching the movie. The equipment is there so you won't get annoyed by the Smurfs' singing.
TheDude-Sep 9, 2015
everything that was wrong with the first film which was alot like the terrible jokes boring plot ETC is back in ten fold this sequel is insufferably **** one of the most unfunny films i have ever seen
YellowKirbySep 9, 2015
I saw this with my friend, and none of us were laughing. Its got bad jokes, a weird story worst of all, the most annoying song EVER! At least they're not making a third one... wait, they're rebooting it? NOOOOOOOO!
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Smurfs 2" 10 Scale Rating: 2.0 (Terrible) ...

The Good: Azreal (the cat) had a couple of decent moments. A few of the Smurfs were spot on with their cartoon counterparts. The Bad: Well, not that much was expected, but the plot was
"Smurfs 2" 10 Scale Rating: 2.0 (Terrible) ...

The Bad: Well, not that much was expected, but the plot was paper thin ... even for a film geared towards five year olds. The Smurfs themselves were way too computerized and clashed with the settings. One liners and corny jokes were thrown about without landing a single comedic bullseye. Pop culture is rammed down your throat repeatedly as Hollywood defiles another of our childhood memories. Felt like a straight to DVD film rather than a film intended for theaters.
lukechristianscMar 30, 2014
SMURFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . the only smurfs know is how to take shrooms . its kinda boring but its kinda gay . if 5 years old watch this they have a drug problem . but its 55 % enjoyable 99 % awful . Grade C- maybe a D-
rjsluvbugFeb 7, 2014
Disappointing in every aspect. Smurfs 2 is a far cry from its predecessor...gone are the wise cracking, scene stealing favorites from the Smurfs first big screen, big city adventure. While the interaction between real life humans and makeDisappointing in every aspect. Smurfs 2 is a far cry from its predecessor...gone are the wise cracking, scene stealing favorites from the Smurfs first big screen, big city adventure. While the interaction between real life humans and make believe is as smooth as before, this is not nearly enough to make up for rushed scenes, poor character development and an unimaginative story line. Even the youngest critic in our house was bored and uninterested, despite an ongoing love and continuous playing of The Smurfs (1).
Maybe borrow this one, or wait for NetFlix, definitely not worth the DVD investment.
InverseCriticDec 3, 2013
I'm not sure if I like the first one or this one more. The absence of Gutsy and Brainy didn't work for me well, and the rescue part took a while, but that's pretty much all that I disliked about this movie. The action was fun, the characterI'm not sure if I like the first one or this one more. The absence of Gutsy and Brainy didn't work for me well, and the rescue part took a while, but that's pretty much all that I disliked about this movie. The action was fun, the character relationships were heartwarming, and the Smurf computer animation is still a wonder. Expand
RevRonNov 25, 2013
I didn't care for the first film because it was just an annoying mess of bad jokes and bad acting--However, the special effects were decent. Not much has changed in this sequel as the jokes are still really, really bad and the acting isI didn't care for the first film because it was just an annoying mess of bad jokes and bad acting--However, the special effects were decent. Not much has changed in this sequel as the jokes are still really, really bad and the acting is hammy and groan-inducing but the story did feel like they were trying to add some emotion to it as we see Smurfette deal with the isolation of feeling like she doesn't belong mirrored with Patrick's stepfather desperately trying to be a positive influence in his life. Sadly, this emphasis on story elements that feel like they have some heart to it are still surrounded by bad "blue" humor and acting gorged on scenery. But the special effects are still decent... Expand
Good-SmurfOct 9, 2013
OK been waiting for months for The Smurfs 2 finally arrived at the land of smiles (just about the most fitting place for Smurfs to live!)
The Good:

The Bad:
it always have to him to take the beating?
worse stopped being a charismatic villain which we all knew him for.

The Verdict:
You want The proper smurfs movie look somewhere else stick to both of Sony's recent mini-movies and you watch that you'll realize you just wasted 100+ minutes on the disgrace to the smurfs franchise.
Oscar95Sep 21, 2013
The Smurfs 2 is a cool movie; a Rescue Mission movie. I like to impress Disney to get the Smurfs.

If you don't like Sony's Smurfs Movie. Why not let Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios to make a CGI Smurfs movie, Pixar can make a Great CGI, Best Movie Stories and will be an Epic Adventure, in the vein of The Adventures of TinTin.
caveatscotiSep 15, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nutshell review: this movie stinks. Worse than this, buried beneath the all-sortsa-people-make-family message (delivered only sightly less heavy-handedly than the sledgehammered-into-the-frame product placement) was THIS message: The grey Smurfs are 'bad', and worthless to their creator Gargamel. They later become 'good' and of critical value to him, and are subsequently accepted into the Smurf community AFTER THEY CHANGE THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN. Great message for the kids there, Columbia. I want my money back. Expand
AlexProductionsSep 7, 2013
I was not sure what to expect when walking into Smurfs 2. Knowing the target audience was for little children, I didn't feel I was bound to enjoy the little blue critters for 100 minutes. Though I still wasn't a fan of the film, I did findI was not sure what to expect when walking into Smurfs 2. Knowing the target audience was for little children, I didn't feel I was bound to enjoy the little blue critters for 100 minutes. Though I still wasn't a fan of the film, I did find myself laughing a few times, and seemed to be entertained with the story.

Smurfette; the main character in the film, was originally captured by Gargamel, is caught again by his Naughties. As Smurfette bonds with them and becomes closer to Gargamel's family, the other Smurfs, Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris), and Grace (Jayma Mays), try to save her.

Writing this review, I have mixed feelings about Smurfs 2. I actually enjoyed the story, but they really simplified it, so that kids would understand the movie. It was blatantly obvious throughout the film that the children did not have to think about what they were watching. Something would happen, and then a character would explain what just happened on screen. I thought that Hank Azaria (Gargamel) really enjoyed his time in the movie and he became his character for Smurfs 2. Neil Patrick Harris also did as good a job as he did in the first film.

I did not like that all the characters would add "Smurf" to a lot of the words that they would say, and could tell that some of the scenes were just filler, and didn't really add anything to the movie or storyline. After thinking very hard about this review, and re-watching some scenes to get a better understanding, I have come to the conclusion that I actually enjoyed the film.

I thought that it was funny at some points for me, even though I’m not the target demographic and had a few good plot turns I was not expecting. I truly felt that the kids really had a good time watching it.

Overall, I’d actually recommend The Smurfs 2, and think you will have a good time watching it, even if you are not the right age group. If Alvin and the Chipmunks took a big step forward in quality, with a more “advanced” script, we would have Smurfs 2. After looking online, it got an average of two stars, and I think that this is one film that you should ignore the ratings for, and go see.
hoops2448Sep 3, 2013
While I fortunately have no idea how this stacks up in comparison to the first Smurfs movie, The Smurfs 2 is a tragic attempt at family storytelling that pales in comparison to the excellent crop of animations from earlier this year. WhenWhile I fortunately have no idea how this stacks up in comparison to the first Smurfs movie, The Smurfs 2 is a tragic attempt at family storytelling that pales in comparison to the excellent crop of animations from earlier this year. When Smurfette (Katy Perry) is abducted y Gargamel (Hank Azaria) and his new creations, the Naughties, two white Smurfs called Vexy (Christina Ricci) and Hackus (J.B Smoove), Papa Smurf and a small group head to the real world to save her with the help of their human friends. While not completely unwatchable, The Smurfs 2 is a film solely aimed at children so therefore its bright, odd but supposedly wonderful things happen and it all works out in the end. It also means that the grown ups are forced to take their kids to it and must sit through some of the worst dialogue and story ever to grace the big screen as talented actors such as Neil Patrick Harris and Brendan Gleeson are forced to act like irrational buffoons. Harris gets the worst of it as he acts like a spoilt 14 year old boy for most of the movie (with a cringe worthy step father bonding relationship thrown in for good measure.). The voice work is find and the film doesn't drag per se but it doesn't entertain anyone but people who don't know any better and probably the criminally insane. My suggestion is if you have children wait for the DVD and then leave it for them to watch when you are out and the babysitter has to be forced to watch it. Expand
AlessandroOdoAug 27, 2013
I cannot believe I spent my money in this kind of movie. The trailers make you hope a lot, but it disappoints you in every sense of the word. In my opinion "The Smurfs 2" deserves the "Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Movie of the Year". IfI cannot believe I spent my money in this kind of movie. The trailers make you hope a lot, but it disappoints you in every sense of the word. In my opinion "The Smurfs 2" deserves the "Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Movie of the Year". If you really want to see it, buy a copy, do not waste your money. Expand
MovieGoer14Aug 16, 2013
I enjoyed The Smurfs for what it was, seeing childhood characters on the big screen, interacting with humans, in a live action 3D animated film, it was funny and entertaining. But The Smurfs 2 recalls everything The Smurfs delivered to us,I enjoyed The Smurfs for what it was, seeing childhood characters on the big screen, interacting with humans, in a live action 3D animated film, it was funny and entertaining. But The Smurfs 2 recalls everything The Smurfs delivered to us, added with some new story and slapstick humor, it wasn't funny enough and wasn't that much entertaining, in fact, it was boring, recommended for only under 8, for them it will be the event of the year. Collapse
jeff_reviewsAug 14, 2013
Bringing the original to an even more unremarkable state, "The Smurfs 2" is plain out awful. With its overabundant uses of the word "smurf", and several other ludicrous remarks, adults and even kids will most likely be bored by the film,Bringing the original to an even more unremarkable state, "The Smurfs 2" is plain out awful. With its overabundant uses of the word "smurf", and several other ludicrous remarks, adults and even kids will most likely be bored by the film, which is a huge disaster, as even kids find joy to almost everything put out there. With the lack of strong story elements, a handful of absurd jokes, with characters that have zero character development, or plot twists and turns, "The Smurfs 2" hits a low for kids film. Expand
ScrawnyPunkAug 11, 2013
My review is simple I took my three kids (ages 7, 5, and 3) to see it and they all laughed the entire time. That's the target audience, so it works. Most adults will not enjoy it, but it's not really for us.
ERB2Aug 9, 2013
This movie is one of the worst movies I've watched.I mean it has no story at all.And I don't think they should make another smurfs movie cause I know that It will be terrible.
csw12Aug 5, 2013
A pathetic unfunny film where it is so obvious that the people behind this had no intention of even trying to make a somewhat decent film. The live animation is horrible and kids will certainly not find this even remotely enjoyable.
cool1707Aug 3, 2013
I actually liked the first smurfs movie so i was looking forward to seeing what they could do with this and when i saw it i was dissapointed at how rubbish the film was. I got not many laughs out of this film and some parts where just boringI actually liked the first smurfs movie so i was looking forward to seeing what they could do with this and when i saw it i was dissapointed at how rubbish the film was. I got not many laughs out of this film and some parts where just boring for me. But i will praise the 3D that was really. Even though that i hated it kids still seemed to get a laugh out of it and even some adults will enjoy it with there families i just didnt like it Expand
shpreaAug 2, 2013
Okay, yeah. It was a bad movie. But it was still funny. I found myself laughing at just how dumb the movie was, which to me makes it a little better. Also, John Oliver does the voice of Vanity, which is always a plus in my book.
FRGAug 1, 2013
The worst movie i ever seen in my life.Seriously,avoid this at all costs,no matter if you want to see or not,avoid this awful movie at all costs.A total waste of money.
thebestoftimesJul 31, 2013
This is truly one of the worst films I've ever seen in years, the first smurfs movie was horrible and it made a lot of money and this is even worse, poor done script, bad acting, bad CGI, Tasteless jokes and insufferable, now the cartoon thatThis is truly one of the worst films I've ever seen in years, the first smurfs movie was horrible and it made a lot of money and this is even worse, poor done script, bad acting, bad CGI, Tasteless jokes and insufferable, now the cartoon that I Watched back in the 80's was one of the best cartoons ever made, cause it had something that the current smurfs movie lacked and that's a story.
and I Really think that supporting actress christina ricci who voices one of the dreadful naughties has broken faith with her audience, she's too good of an actress herself (the addams family movies) not to know that this script really stunk.
ThegodfathersonJul 31, 2013
Kids will enjoy the Smurfs because it's what we've now taught them, as a society, is a good movie for them. We're to blame here. Because we know that's not the case. We know there are animated films out there of merit that both kids andKids will enjoy the Smurfs because it's what we've now taught them, as a society, is a good movie for them. We're to blame here. Because we know that's not the case. We know there are animated films out there of merit that both kids and adults can enjoy together. But for some reason, a few of these animated movies go the route of being egregiously simple-minded and repugnant. Expand
MRbossFTWJul 31, 2013
This movie is meant for kids and people who love the smurfs tv show not for any adult and it does very well to please this category. The first movie wasn't great but this is head and shoulders better.
117dilushamcJul 31, 2013
I never expect Avatar-like or Pixar like CGI from any movie, but these are terrible for a live action animated film! I can put this into the category of bad FX (where i put Jack the giant slayer as well!) Story wise, this is just a passableI never expect Avatar-like or Pixar like CGI from any movie, but these are terrible for a live action animated film! I can put this into the category of bad FX (where i put Jack the giant slayer as well!) Story wise, this is just a passable movie that single-digit-aged viewers can enjoy!(but forcefully) Shameless product placement,Strained plot contrivances, toothless humor are filled in this overstuffed plot! Just the same as the first one!(or even worse) Easily the worst animated film of the year, as everyone expected! Expand