Paramount Pictures | Release Date: April 24, 2009
7.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 75 Ratings
WATCH NOW
JayH.Aug 1, 2009
I despise these artsy fartsy pretentious films that go overboard on style and light on substance. It's overdone, overrated, overacted, overlong and after thirty minutes was over this glossy rubbish.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
KevinV.Aug 9, 2009
Downey Jr. is excellent, and the story is interesting, but The Soloist is plagued by excessive cliques and an overall lack of purpose. It's a shame to see such a great cast go to waste.
JohnHApr 28, 2009
A bad script and worse direction (in fact pretty dreadful direction) does this film in. True stories can make for uneven movie experiences that leave script writers and directors trying to hammer square pegs into round holes and audiences A bad script and worse direction (in fact pretty dreadful direction) does this film in. True stories can make for uneven movie experiences that leave script writers and directors trying to hammer square pegs into round holes and audiences scratching their heads and wondering where the closure went. Because of these potential cinematic minefields having the right touch becomes vitally important. This movie has a sort of 1940 Expand
JimbobMMay 2, 2009
Boring crap. Just wanted it to end.
VinceMMay 2, 2009
Depressing, slow, repetitive, depressing. I didn't find it inspiring, I guess I should have seen another movie. But thought I'd counterbalance the accolades. 9 or 10? Nope.
MingV.Jul 25, 2009
Turgid, chaotic, tedious .. I do not even find Foxx's acting anything decent as well, just like a kid playing a mental illness person. It is supposed to be a film about a music genius however the use of music is nowhere near ingenious.
worleyjamersFeb 24, 2013
I strongly disliked this film. It tells the story a story of a journalist (Downey Jr.) who meets a mentally ill musician (Foxx) and begins to build a relationship with him, however, I never fully understood why Downey Jr's character wanted toI strongly disliked this film. It tells the story a story of a journalist (Downey Jr.) who meets a mentally ill musician (Foxx) and begins to build a relationship with him, however, I never fully understood why Downey Jr's character wanted to help him in the first place. Therefore this film was impossible for me to connect with because I didn't care for either of the main characters. Joe Wright is a great director, but this film just didn't do it for me. Expand