7.7

1. JackD.
    Oct 10, 2002
    A small movie that works because it's sincere and honest, funny and sad. It's overly simplisitic, though.
  2. ChadS.
    Jul 29, 2002
    Unlike "In the Bedroom", the third act in "The Son's Room" didn't make me cringe. A new character enters the mix of walking wounded and takes their minds off Andrea as they make an extended car trip. It takes a new country to make them feel better. The girl ushers in some fresh energy and staves off repetitiveness in the nick of time. You can't show people mourning for two Unlike "In the Bedroom", the third act in "The Son's Room" didn't make me cringe. A new character enters the mix of walking wounded and takes their minds off Andrea as they make an extended car trip. It takes a new country to make them feel better. The girl ushers in some fresh energy and staves off repetitiveness in the nick of time. You can't show people mourning for two hours but you shouldn't jar viewers to the extent that Todd Field did with his mildly overrated film. Although "The Son's Room" feels a little slight to be bestowed with the Palm d'or, some of the grief is quite palpatable. The haunting song that plays out to the final frame is probably what cinched the award. This is a good movie. Expand
  3. MikeW.
    Nov 19, 2002
    Stunning. It's in the same category as Tokyo Story in how sensitively and accurately it treats the process of grieving.
  4. MadelineB.
    Jun 4, 2002
    Haunting and Beautiful! Wonderful film - Moretti and rest of case terrific, touching, lovely!
  5. JMc
    Nov 17, 2011
    I rented The Son's Room again the other day, after many years. I was stunned by the understated emotional wallop it packed. That final scene is the most haunting damn thing. I can't get it out of my mind. I'm going to the shops now to see if I can buy the DVD.

1. I found this film deeply affecting as well. It has a gravity that's independent of technique, and an engaging spirit that's enhanced by flashes of comedy.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There’s not a whisper of melodrama or sentimentality in the way Moretti tells his tale, guiding us through the stages of grief with calm, devastating lucidity.
    The Son's Room is the anti-"In the Bedroom." I mean that as a compliment.