6.2

1. Sep 22, 2011
    Man, is it just me or does Mr. Cage desperately need money? His performance in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is hurried and unusually weak, followed by the idiotic story and dialogue disney motion pictures threw in. In other words, the movie is a terrible blockbuster (LOL, considering the money it earned its not even considered a blockbuster).
  2. Aug 11, 2010
    There is a reason we are all put on this planet some of us have not found those reasons while others have discovered the reasons earlier than most and chases after them until they can firmly hold the power they are meant to have in the palm of there hands. Some are meant to be doctors, some are meant to be lawyers, some are meant to be cops, bank mangers, soldiers, politicians,There is a reason we are all put on this planet some of us have not found those reasons while others have discovered the reasons earlier than most and chases after them until they can firmly hold the power they are meant to have in the palm of there hands. Some are meant to be doctors, some are meant to be lawyers, some are meant to be cops, bank mangers, soldiers, politicians, historians, film directors, screen play writers, film critics, novelists the list goes on and on. We shape our future by what we do in the here and now and what path we choose to walk the only exception is a lanky young man named David "Dave" Stutler a physics nerd who thinks he is on the right track to his future. Little does he know that fate has something far more important part for the young David to play little does he know that he is about to become "The Sorcerer's Apprentice.â Expand
  3. Jan 17, 2011
    Did you ever watch Mickey Mouse FANTASIA in 2000? Thiz is meant to be the live action version. Mickey Mouse character replaced by nerd character specialist, Jay Baruchel (as Dave). And the master played by Nicolas Cage (as Balthazar). The scene from FANTASIA, when the apprentice works his imperfect spell to command all brooms and mops to do some cleaning jobs is the only homage toDid you ever watch Mickey Mouse FANTASIA in 2000? Thiz is meant to be the live action version. Mickey Mouse character replaced by nerd character specialist, Jay Baruchel (as Dave). And the master played by Nicolas Cage (as Balthazar). The scene from FANTASIA, when the apprentice works his imperfect spell to command all brooms and mops to do some cleaning jobs is the only homage to original version, along with its original score theme. Despite of that goodness, you are about to see an hour and half of Cartoon. The jokes are still funny but the story is completely predictable and fully anticipated. Everyone seems to be drawn into giant vortex of comic character, without exception: Nic Cage, Alfred Molina, Toby Kebbell and Monica Bellucci. The only fresh appearance is made by new gorgeous face, Teresa Palmer as Dave girlfriend. The magical battle is seeming to use some iconic images in New York (which the movie took place), like Bronze Charging Bull in front of Wall Street, and the Giant Iron Eagle which is perching on one of the famous buildings. The Director Jon Turteltaub has been tangled into CGI festival, which puts aside a lot of factors in story and characters development. Thiz NATIONAL TREASURE (2004) is not a PHENOMENON (1996), the movie could still be running WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING (1995). I shortly described it as Special Effects exhibition which is trapped inside the cage. It is NOT the coolest job ever.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  4. Aug 28, 2011
    The one thing the film has going for it are the visual effects. Everything else is, in the best case scenario, mediocre. The story was not very well written and the screenplay was messy. Dialogues were ok, nothing out of the extraordinary - just a typical Disney film type of screenplay. Visually, though, there were some impressive effects, and the film was very nice to the eye. That beingThe one thing the film has going for it are the visual effects. Everything else is, in the best case scenario, mediocre. The story was not very well written and the screenplay was messy. Dialogues were ok, nothing out of the extraordinary - just a typical Disney film type of screenplay. Visually, though, there were some impressive effects, and the film was very nice to the eye. That being said, the acting was quite bad, especially disappointing from Nicholas Cage. The lead actor/kid was rather bland and annoying, and Monica Bellucci's role was a cameo, to say the least. It is NOT a good film, but it will keep you entertained for the two hours it's long, for which the visual effects are the main contributor, I'd say. Worth watching if you have no expectations. Expand
  5. Aug 13, 2010
    It was ok-decent. The overly-used CGI and the cast can't save the cliche-fiiled plot that is throughly predictable, and lacks any character development of any kind, making it impossible to truly care for anything that's happening. A 6/10.
  6. Sep 11, 2010
    It is far from being original, but is quite enjoyable. Acting is OK, Alfred Molina does always a great job, Nicolas Cage's role is average, but I don't think you really care about this in a Disney production.
  7. Dec 22, 2010
    The always enjoyable Alfred Molina keeps the film afloat and young Jay Baruchel is geeky enough to produce a few laughs. But casting directors should seriously consider alternatives when thinking of getting Nicolas Cage on board the project.
  8. Jan 4, 2011
    Funny thing is I couldn't imagine this film without Cage. He's great, as usual. The only problem is the increasingly weak script, which amounts to a plot that makes no sense, dialogue that makes you cringe and a conclusion that pays off as much as the Sopranos final episode. - Duke & The Movies

9. Nov 9, 2011
    THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE is a silly film, but it's fun and entertaining and is also family friendly as well. Great fun.
  10. Feb 23, 2013
    The Sorcerer's Apprentice is a great story that is absolutely destroyed by Disney. When a movie starts out with swords and wizards in the 8th century, and then all of a sudden jumps to a kid on the school bus with Jimmy Eat World playing in the background, you know you're in for some trouble. This story is about a Sorcerer, looking for his mythological apprentice, to fight an evil thatThe Sorcerer's Apprentice is a great story that is absolutely destroyed by Disney. When a movie starts out with swords and wizards in the 8th century, and then all of a sudden jumps to a kid on the school bus with Jimmy Eat World playing in the background, you know you're in for some trouble. This story is about a Sorcerer, looking for his mythological apprentice, to fight an evil that could destroy the world. The film stars action veteran Nicholas Cage. It's got a huge budget for lots of cool special effects...and Disney turns into a kids movie with a farting dog, a fantasiaesq cleaning scene, and of course a nerd who becomes a hero. It had such potential, but turned out to be such a Disney Cliché that I wanted to vomit. Sorcerer's Apprentice is another great story completely destroyed by over the top effects and garbage from the money hungry giant known as Disney! Expand
  11. Nov 15, 2013
    Nicholas Cage is what saves "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" from being a disaster. His character, Balthazar, is well portrayed. The problem with this film is that the magic doesn't seem like "Harry Potter". It's more like machine-generated and doesn't have the craft and style like "Harry Potter".
  12. Aug 24, 2012
    This was a fun film which brings around reminiscent thoughts about childhood. A mixture of Harry Potter, Fantasia and just about any other children's film, this was enjoyable despite the fact that I am 19. Jay Baruchel is quickly becoming one of my favourite actors.
  13. Dec 8, 2012
    Surprisingly decent and entertaining. Cage and Baruchel are good together, and the effects are good too. Overall, I liked it. Very similar to Percy Jackson which I also liked.
  14. Jul 24, 2013
    las cosa podrian tornarse mejor sin embargo es divertida y puede manejar grandes emociones al verla esta bien hecha pero aun es lo suficientemente convincente para mejor calificacion
  15. Apr 22, 2014
    What? A Nicolas Cage movie from the 2010's that's actually decent? Well, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" might just be that film. It won't win any Oscars, but it is just entertaining enough for us to slightly forgive all the holes and flaws.
  16. Apr 3, 2015
    "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is a so-so picture. I mean, it's kind of a mixed bag, I have mixed feelings about it. Some parts of it were pretty boring, the slapstick is mostly uninspiring but there are some funny parts, as well as a widening cast of talented actors like Alfred Molina and Nicolas Cage (yeah, he is an entertaining actor), and the special effects are good, at least for the"The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is a so-so picture. I mean, it's kind of a mixed bag, I have mixed feelings about it. Some parts of it were pretty boring, the slapstick is mostly uninspiring but there are some funny parts, as well as a widening cast of talented actors like Alfred Molina and Nicolas Cage (yeah, he is an entertaining actor), and the special effects are good, at least for the most part. All in all, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. Worth a view though.

Final Score: 5/10.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Despite Cage in a snit, it's a likable if functional summer-show.
  2. "Apprentice" lurches from one been-there-done-that sequence to another.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    The magic here feels machine-made and depressingly state-of-the-art.