6.2

1. RadeM.
    Jul 17, 2010
    My girlfriend, my sister and I really liked this movie, and we are in late twenties. It reminded us of childhood. It has funny moments, not too many slow moments and a predictable story that was told in a good and interesting way. In fact everything we expected from this movie we've got in the end. My sister even asked me if there would be a sequel! :)
  2. ChadS
    Jul 16, 2010
    From a park bench, Balthazar(Nicolas Cage), a former nesting doll prisoner enjoying his first meal in a thousand years, can see that Becky(Teresa Palmer), a college radio deejay who is heading toward the subway after a night of indie rock proselytizing, is clearly out of Dave's league, so he waves a pickle(it's not an especially large pickle) at his apprentice because he knows a From a park bench, Balthazar(Nicolas Cage), a former nesting doll prisoner enjoying his first meal in a thousand years, can see that Becky(Teresa Palmer), a college radio deejay who is heading toward the subway after a night of indie rock proselytizing, is clearly out of Dave's league, so he waves a pickle(it's not an especially large pickle) at his apprentice because he knows a little overcompensation couldn't hurt the physics nerd's chances for an intimate relationship. What if she's a size queen? And boy, does Dave(Jay Baruchel) overcompensate big time, as the bling on his finger turns the one-time laughingstock of the fifth grade into a powerful conjurer of magic, which more than makes up for the boy's slight physique and small "pickle". Right away, the ring pays off dividends, when Dave apprehends a mugger who had just stolen Becky's bling that had belonged to her grandmother, and as a result, proves Balthazar right since now the NYU student positions himself as a potential suitor. At first, Dave overcompensates with brains(good enough to be her good friend), when he restores the radio station's low wattage signal, enabling Becky to broadcast her show. (She seems more Maroon 5 than Fleet Foxes.) But now that Dave understands what being the Prime Meridian could entail, this seemingly unapproachable girl is no longer out of his league. There's a small problem, though. Telling a beautiful girl that you're the second coming of Merlin, in most cases, would be an automatic dealbreaker, and this is where "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" errs dramatically. The film should have established an interim period in which Becky thinks Dave's childhood tormentors were right to dismiss the boy as a weirdo(the incident at Arcana Cabana). It would have made the final sequence of action all the more galvanizing, in which she'd realize that the Tesla boy was telling her the truth. But Becky learns about Dave's secret at the wrong time, rendering his pronouncement into an anti-climactic reveal. That's because Cage is the star, so the apprentice's desperate need to overcome his shortcomings can't upstage Balthazar's second chance at love with Veronica(Monica Belucci). As Dave withstands Morgan's best shot, then, in return, goes on the offensive, the filmmaker needs Becky for corresponding reaction shots, but since "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" never loses focus on the relationship between teacher and student, it's Balthazar's reaction shots that matter. Had Becky witnessed Dave's duel to the death with Morgan(Alice Krige), Baruchel would have stolen the movie away from Cage. Expand
  3. Aug 19, 2010
    I found this an enjoyable movie and definitely worth watching the acting from the cast was good and the storyline was satisfactory. i would definitely recommend the movie to people as i can see no reason why anyone shouldn't enjoy it
  4. mikeb
    Jul 16, 2010
    Kind of like harry potter, but without all the tweens.
  5. rileys
    Jul 16, 2010
    I saw this movie in the theaters the other day and i really enjoyed it. I though they did a good job with the texuring of action and story. Good movie.
  6. Aug 17, 2010
    Great film. Best this year by far but let's be honest, it's Disney so would you really expect any less???
    Great for anyone of any age to enjoy.
    10/10.
  7. Oct 13, 2010
    At the start of this film, I wasn't sure if it would be my type of movie but after the first 10 minutes, the film got a lot better and it turned out to be a fantastic film and one that I would watch over and over again. Jay Baruchel was fantastic in the lead role and impressed me.
  8. AlanG
    Jul 16, 2010
    This movie is awesome!! Screw the critics!! Its definetly better than Airbender. Bring on the sequels!
  9. AlmasA
    Entertaining, humorous, romantic.
  10. JoshuaS
    Jul 18, 2010
    The effects are breath-taking and Nicolas Cage is such a great actor.
  11. SteveZ.
    Jul 19, 2010
    Very nice, entertaining but predictable.
  12. JaredC
    Without doubt, great.
  13. Dec 7, 2010
    Being a huge fan of Fantasia's Sorcerer's Apprentice segment, Disney, and fantasy comedies, I was eagerly anticipating this movie. When I went into this movie, I had seen the Last Airbender two weeks before, so I was still in a bad movie-going mood. But this movie rocked!! The Jerry Bruckheimer-action fantasy kicked all kinds of butt! The action was really cool, the effects were awesome,Being a huge fan of Fantasia's Sorcerer's Apprentice segment, Disney, and fantasy comedies, I was eagerly anticipating this movie. When I went into this movie, I had seen the Last Airbender two weeks before, so I was still in a bad movie-going mood. But this movie rocked!! The Jerry Bruckheimer-action fantasy kicked all kinds of butt! The action was really cool, the effects were awesome, the cast was great, and it's hilarious!! There's a couple of cliches, but I expected that!! I love this movie!! Expand
  14. Aug 11, 2010
    People need to keep in mind this is movie is made by Disney. While I did enjoy the movie for what it was, there where a few things I wish was done differently, first more back story on Nick Cage's character (Bathazar), I found his flashbacks and him explaining his past more interesting than anything. Two, NOT EVERY MOVIE NEEDS A LOVE INTEREST, I get it, nerdy boy likes cute girl. Doesn'tPeople need to keep in mind this is movie is made by Disney. While I did enjoy the movie for what it was, there where a few things I wish was done differently, first more back story on Nick Cage's character (Bathazar), I found his flashbacks and him explaining his past more interesting than anything. Two, NOT EVERY MOVIE NEEDS A LOVE INTEREST, I get it, nerdy boy likes cute girl. Doesn't think he's good enough and wants to impress her. It's been done before. Hey Hollywood not every attractive girl is a sweetheart. This story didn't need her. But hey it's Disney so what do you expect. The love triangle between Bathazar and the villain (I forgot his name) with his love interest (I forget her name too) was more interesting than the kid's. But all in all the movie was a great little distraction. By far not the greatest movie but it did what it set out to do. If your expecting some epic movie like Harry Potter you'll be disappointed. But any average movie goer (not for your cinema snobs) would have fun taking their family for night out. Expand
  15. Aug 14, 2010
    This is one film for which i have to disagree with the critics. It is one of the best movies i have watched this year. It's funny, exciting and bursting with creativity at every turn. Just plain good entertainment. It is probably one movie at which you would probably have to leave your brain outside, but that is actually a good thing. You would be surprised at how much you would enjoy theThis is one film for which i have to disagree with the critics. It is one of the best movies i have watched this year. It's funny, exciting and bursting with creativity at every turn. Just plain good entertainment. It is probably one movie at which you would probably have to leave your brain outside, but that is actually a good thing. You would be surprised at how much you would enjoy the show if you just keep an open mind Expand
  16. Sep 12, 2010
    This movie is good, i hope you like it. The movie itself is well made,
    special effects are nothing special, is a nice story. My vote is 7.0 , because is a good movie.
  17. Jul 15, 2011
    Sure, Jay Baruchel's character may be a border-line annoying character, but after watching Prince of Persia and Inception, two movies that didn't live up to their expectations, it was a relief to finally watch this great action movie. I would've loved to see a sequel, but looking at the box office numbers, that, unfortunately, isn't going to happen.
  18. Oct 9, 2010
    "The Sorcerer's Apprentice i hate to say , Does not bring the magic & the chemistry between Baruchel and Cage just was not there, also plot development , but Apprentice was also fun , imaginative and dare i say it at times somewhat entertaining" .. B
  19. Oct 31, 2010
    an entertaining segment from the animated movie

Rating: 82%
  20. Nov 20, 2010
    You don't need to see my faculty identification card...
    "I don't need your faculty identification card"
    ... These are not the droids you're looking for...lol An enjoyable movie that shouldn't be approached as a serious movie (it has magic in it...it's about magic...it has a magical title - what were you expecting? Predictable, sure - but that doesn't prevent it from being an enjoyable fun
    You don't need to see my faculty identification card...
    "I don't need your faculty identification card"
    ...
    These are not the droids you're looking for...lol

An enjoyable movie that shouldn't be approached as a serious movie (it has magic in it...it's about magic...it has a magical title - what were you expecting? Predictable, sure - but that doesn't prevent it from being an enjoyable fun movie (and quite frankly it blows the socks off the first two Harry Potter movies!)
  21. Nov 21, 2010
    Very enjoyable movie despite main character was a bit funny. Good effects, spells were quite spectacular, there was even a car race ;) If you look for something light, I recommend.
  22. Mar 12, 2011
    BUY THIS! It's an epic movie. Excellent soundtrack, presentation, story and drama. The acting might have been slightly predictable at times but Cage was very good. Overall I'll give it a 10.
  23. Jun 12, 2011
    Being somebody who hasn't read the books I wasn't sure what to make of this film. I am a Nick Cage fan though I have been disappointed with a bunch of his newer movies. Overall though I really felt like this movie kind of got a bum rape. The characters are all likable even one of the villains is an extremely fun character. The plot movies along okay even though it kind of peters off at theBeing somebody who hasn't read the books I wasn't sure what to make of this film. I am a Nick Cage fan though I have been disappointed with a bunch of his newer movies. Overall though I really felt like this movie kind of got a bum rape. The characters are all likable even one of the villains is an extremely fun character. The plot movies along okay even though it kind of peters off at the end into the normal Hollywood ending. If I had seen this in theaters I probably would have been disappointed to drop 10 bucks on it but renting it I really felt satisfied, overall a pretty good watch Expand
  24. Jul 15, 2011
    A surprisingly competent performance by jay baruchel who showed remarkable ability with forcing a laugh frok the audience, coupled with a fantastic showing by cage meant this film was a joy to watch. With top class supporting roles by teresa palmer and alfred molina, i truly enjoyed this film although the script was occasionally found lacking and the plot somewhat predictable. Still muchA surprisingly competent performance by jay baruchel who showed remarkable ability with forcing a laugh frok the audience, coupled with a fantastic showing by cage meant this film was a joy to watch. With top class supporting roles by teresa palmer and alfred molina, i truly enjoyed this film although the script was occasionally found lacking and the plot somewhat predictable. Still much better than many of the harry potter movies! Expand
  25. Oct 8, 2011
    I should say I liked this movie pretty much. It had really nice animations and excitement in it. The girl was very pretty and the musics were astonishing. Really what made me love this movie was the stunning girl and the perfection of music. Bad thing is that weird starring Canadien dude. i should say, he reminded me of myself with his geekness, :P
  26. May 28, 2012
    Its not terrible, its just okay. Its got impressive visual effects but the story is particularly hard to follow towards the end. Thats where it suffers the most.
  27. Dec 28, 2011
    Okay, so maybe it has a lot of fantasy cliches, but the main character is so likable you can forget all that. In a time where the "nerd" demographic is increasing so exponentially, a character like this will be very easy for many viewers to relate to.
  28. Aug 24, 2014
    This movie starts off really well; the pace is just right and the part in the beginning about Merlin and his apprentices doesn't seem too hurried (although they could have taken their time unfolding it, really, since all that information was important when it came to the rest of the movie).

All in all everything seems just dandy; the acting, the story, the twists and turns and humor just roll in and keep it all nice and tight.

Then something happens. At the most crucial moment, when the real action begins, the details get really messy and the plot kind of gritty. They start hurrying on and add more layers too fast. As good as the effects (I even enjoyed Nicholas Cage in this one), the story just deflates.

The romantic relationship of Dave and Berky seemed too fake and fast, and when she just takes the truth about Dave's life without more than a shrug, it's really ridiculous (at that point, a normal person should give the other at least a comment of doubt, even feel horror and suspicion about his mental health). The end is totally clichéd with them flying off to some sappy, happy ending.

I would have rated the movie better based on the beginning, but near the end things simply lost focus. They just had to get a happy conclusion by force, and the wicked undertone disappeared. Everyone was nice and comfortable with the truth of what they were and what they had to do.

Worth the watch, and an enjoyable movie, but clearly there was too much mushiness for me there ;)
  29. Sep 27, 2013
    While I know this movie isn't everyone's cup of tea. I loved it. It has everything I could ever want from a Disney live action movie. Adventure, Drama, comedy great FX.

The back story is a little weak and cliched, but great performances from Molina, Baruchel and even Cage. It is clear this could be more and and times the movie feels like it is rushing itself in the middle. For once,

It is clear this could be more and and times the movie feels like it is rushing itself in the middle. For once, I would say this is where they should have added a few more scenes to show David's progression from Apprentice to full on sorcerer.

Overall:
    While it is not the best Disney movie out there, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I really do feel this movie would have worked better as a TV show than a movie.
  30. Aug 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very enjoyable, in my opinion. Most of the Jerry Bruckheimer/Disney Movies are really good. The gloriously villainous Horvath played by Alfred Molina made the movie for me. Keep the villain roles for Alfred Molina coming. I loved the part that paid tribute to the short in Fantasia. Great overall. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Despite Cage in a snit, it's a likable if functional summer-show.
  2. "Apprentice" lurches from one been-there-done-that sequence to another.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    The magic here feels machine-made and depressingly state-of-the-art.