The Spirit

7.3

1. brenty
    Apr 14, 2009
    The movie itself wasn't bad, its just that it was compared to 300 and sin city. Other then the visuals, it's nothing like those movies. It has a combination of the original batman movies comedy, 50's detective novel flow and feel with the visuals of sin city and 300. all togehter, don't watch this movie cause it's like the other frank miller movies, watch it if The movie itself wasn't bad, its just that it was compared to 300 and sin city. Other then the visuals, it's nothing like those movies. It has a combination of the original batman movies comedy, 50's detective novel flow and feel with the visuals of sin city and 300. all togehter, don't watch this movie cause it's like the other frank miller movies, watch it if you like the comic or older types of movies. Expand
  2. HastyM.
    Dec 26, 2008
    I'm going to admit that the vitriolic reviews aren't without merit, but I was nonetheless entertained. The film has a lot of style, flashes of humor, and very campy plotting. There isn't much in the way of story and there really isn't much to care about either, but I liked the way Frank Miller decided to approach this film. The melodrama, the comic book inspired I'm going to admit that the vitriolic reviews aren't without merit, but I was nonetheless entertained. The film has a lot of style, flashes of humor, and very campy plotting. There isn't much in the way of story and there really isn't much to care about either, but I liked the way Frank Miller decided to approach this film. The melodrama, the comic book inspired dialogue, the visuals, and the caricature and scenery chewing acting all add up to a film that I actually wished had been a little longer. It probably won't please most audiences, but it's fun in spite of all its shortcomings. Expand
  3. tonys.
    Dec 27, 2008
    This movie isn't for everyone. In fact I believe this could be classified as a "guy" film. Actually, I didn't know what to expect going in to this film. All I knew was that it looked like Sin City (it has hot women & violence), but it was really funny and pulp. I have to say this movie didn't make much sense, most of 300 didn't make much sense either for that matter. This movie isn't for everyone. In fact I believe this could be classified as a "guy" film. Actually, I didn't know what to expect going in to this film. All I knew was that it looked like Sin City (it has hot women & violence), but it was really funny and pulp. I have to say this movie didn't make much sense, most of 300 didn't make much sense either for that matter. If there is a directors cut or extended version of this film I'll most likely but it. Expand
  4. GarathD
    Jan 10, 2009
    I went to watch this last night and left feeling a little dissapointed. The visuals were outstanding and some set scenes were beautiful to behold. There were also some genuinely funny moments and good action in places. The problem for me was it was way too flabby in parts - things just didn't flow and certain dialogue scenes just seemed to go on forever. I think the campness captured I went to watch this last night and left feeling a little dissapointed. The visuals were outstanding and some set scenes were beautiful to behold. There were also some genuinely funny moments and good action in places. The problem for me was it was way too flabby in parts - things just didn't flow and certain dialogue scenes just seemed to go on forever. I think the campness captured the comic feel perfectly but ultimately the film just didn't work as a whole Expand
  5. JayH.
    Apr 9, 2009
    A bit too stylish and over the top. It lacks the substance Sin City had. The effects and imagination are impressive though, too bad it didn't have an interesting plot to go along with it.
  6. AR.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Odd thing about Frank Miller...he's a comic book legend when it comes to storytelling most of his work is very cinematic that makes your heart skip a beat. At first when it came to breathing life from paper and ink to film there was something electrifying. Drawings were given flesh, bone and most important of all a meaningful soul. His adaptations gave filmmakers a reason to create a Odd thing about Frank Miller...he's a comic book legend when it comes to storytelling most of his work is very cinematic that makes your heart skip a beat. At first when it came to breathing life from paper and ink to film there was something electrifying. Drawings were given flesh, bone and most important of all a meaningful soul. His adaptations gave filmmakers a reason to create a new genre. Sometimes when a filmmaker starts with blazing fireworks, the audience become moths attracted toward the fire. Yet upon occasion there will be a firework that's a fizzling dud. The good news is that it's a 'cheesy good' movie reminds us to have a good time. 'Yes' it's a bad movie in terms of dialouge and plot. Even though it's a very far cry from the sequential universe that [Frank] Miller created long ago, the movie found a way to escape to a world created by the late Will Eisner. And lesson learned: Let the original comic book creator have some sense of control over how the film should be made. Expand
  7. Sep 30, 2011
    The movie attempted at making a new superhero - but it failed. It left no memorable moments other than Eva Mendes being chased around by a boy that liked her. It wasn't the worst, but it was disappointing to watch.
  8. JerradD.
    Dec 25, 2008
    The Spirit had so much potential. The only thing that shined was the beautiful art direction. Sadly, the acting, plot, and overall feel of the movie made me say, "Why did i waste my time seeing this?"
  9. Fletcher
    Dec 26, 2008
    I am a big fan of super hero movies, and really enjoyed Sin City. I was disappointed in this film. The cinematography was the same as Sin City, but the story, characters, and yes, even the acting, were all a let down. Wait for this one to come out on dvd.
  10. May 24, 2013
    Coming hot on the heels of the fantastic Sin City and 300 I went into The Spirit expecting something of similar quality, unfortunately I was left disappointed.

It's not all bad of course. As with Frank Millers other comic book adaptations The Spirit is beautifully shot using the same techniques employed in Sin City and with the likes of Eva Mendes, Scarlett Johansson and Stana Katic on show it certainly features one of the most attractive casts ever seen on the big screen. Gabriel Mecht is also entertaining in the title role making a refreshing change from the usual burdened superhero.

For every positive however there is a negative. Frank Miller's decision to direct the movie himself (his feature film debut) can be seen as mistake from the very start. Poorly paced throughout the film never quite decides what it is trying to achieve. One minute it wants to be a 'wacky' comedy the next it is trying to recreate the gritty film noir style of Sin City. It is just about possible to piece together a plot but the film does its best to stop you and as a result it is very difficult to become invested in what is going to happen to any of the characters (other than rookie cop Morgernstern, but thats only because she is played by the always fantastic Stana Katic).

The performances, even from well established actors such as Samuel L Jackson, are also incredibly uneven. Again the blame for this must lay at the feet of director Miller as the majority of the cast have proven their acting credentials on numerous occasions in other movies.

In the end while The Spirit may be a visual feast it is just too much of a mess to be thought of alongside the best comic book adaptations of recent years.

1. It is truly a mess.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Plunges into a watery grave early on and spends roughly the next 100 minutes gasping for air.
    There are good things to be said about The Spirit, but not enough of them to outweigh the bad.