The Spirit

Jan 5, 2009
    Very enjoyable.
  2. DreH
    Jun 25, 2009
    Loved the Noir Style, Loved the cinematography But could of been better.
  3. NickR.
    Aug 15, 2009
    I absolutely loved this movie. As a fan of the comics and Frank miller, I found this movie Sexy, Cool and Fun.
  4. Sep 2, 2013
    The Spirit is a brilliant and hilarious GEM of a movie. One of the most underrated movies, it seems 50% of viewers and 80% of critics couldn't get into the humor and style of it. Proper respect to Frank Miller.
    It's kind of miraculous to me that Frank Miller directed this in such a different style from his own.
  5. StevenO
    Jan 5, 2009
    This movie is not as bad as the critics say. I seen this movie on its release date and it was more fun then any movie since the dark knight. Dont listen to critics go see it for yourself.
  6. HarryB.
    Jan 10, 2009
    I thought that The Spirit was yet another great film in Frank Miller's filmography. The casting was great, each actor brought their own unique acting to the film brilliantly, and the film flowed great throughout. The storyline was great, the subtle and blatant humour worked great, and some of the scenes in the film are both memorable and very artistic, and you get a real feel for the I thought that The Spirit was yet another great film in Frank Miller's filmography. The casting was great, each actor brought their own unique acting to the film brilliantly, and the film flowed great throughout. The storyline was great, the subtle and blatant humour worked great, and some of the scenes in the film are both memorable and very artistic, and you get a real feel for the characters in The Spirit. Film noir style was what Frank Miller does best, but my only gripe is that the ending could have been done a little better. It seemed a little too cheesy, but it definitely doesn't ruin the film. I can't believe the reviews I've seen giving it negative feedback. Zeros and 10s? It may not be as good as Sin City, but it is very close, and it is a solid, brilliant film, that combines an artistic cinema with an entertaining storyline, great one-liners and a very unique movie style. Well worth the watch, but I have to say that people who didn't like Sin City or 300 may not like this as much. Expand
  7. PhillipH.
    May 8, 2009
    This was an excellent film, but I feel it was very misunderstood. First of all, its a comedy. It parodies a number of comic books and their film adaptations. If you just realise that it is intentionally ridiculous and don't get strung up on the cheesy plot, you'll see that this film is a masterpiece.
  8. BenC.
    Jan 29, 2009
    As a film, this movie is an absolute disaster of poor direction. However, what it does do it does with such style that it remains massively entertaining anyway. Not to be taken seriously, The Spirit wears cons for heaven's sake! :P
  9. SamuelJ.
    Dec 29, 2008
    Far more entertaining than the vapid "Sin City" or the one-note "300," "The Spirit" is this year's subversive masterpiece, a well-executed bit of political noir masquerading as a superhero movie. The Spirit is a thinly-veiled caricature of a right-wing media run amok, with Samuel Jackson drawing parallels between himself and a recently crowned president-elect. The cinematography is Far more entertaining than the vapid "Sin City" or the one-note "300," "The Spirit" is this year's subversive masterpiece, a well-executed bit of political noir masquerading as a superhero movie. The Spirit is a thinly-veiled caricature of a right-wing media run amok, with Samuel Jackson drawing parallels between himself and a recently crowned president-elect. The cinematography is pure FOX News, ostensibly black-and-white (or as they say "fair and balanced"), except for the splashes of color that masquerade as "editorializing." This film has less in common with Batman and Spider-Man than it does with "All The President's Men" and "Missing." Expand
  10. JimK.
    Jan 3, 2009
    Maybe it was because I was expecting a bad movie, but I thought The Spirit was hilarious. I hope people viewing it know it's supposed to be funny. Gabriel Macht's performance is reminiscent of Bruce Campbell and Samuel Jackson is throwing punches and hamming it up for laughs. If you enjoy Sam Raimi flicks (E.g. Army of Darkness), and like the visual stylings of Frank Miller Maybe it was because I was expecting a bad movie, but I thought The Spirit was hilarious. I hope people viewing it know it's supposed to be funny. Gabriel Macht's performance is reminiscent of Bruce Campbell and Samuel Jackson is throwing punches and hamming it up for laughs. If you enjoy Sam Raimi flicks (E.g. Army of Darkness), and like the visual stylings of Frank Miller comics, you'll enjoy The Spirit. Expand
  11. J.S.
    Jan 9, 2009
    The movie's biggest problem is that it was marketed as an action movie. For the most part, it's a cheesy comedy, and an enjoyable one at that. The only other flaw that the movie truly had was the henchmen, which were too stupid to even be a part of the project. Scenes that included them seemed like mismatched parts of Dumb & Dumber, Blue's Clues, and Kill Bill. Overall, its The movie's biggest problem is that it was marketed as an action movie. For the most part, it's a cheesy comedy, and an enjoyable one at that. The only other flaw that the movie truly had was the henchmen, which were too stupid to even be a part of the project. Scenes that included them seemed like mismatched parts of Dumb & Dumber, Blue's Clues, and Kill Bill. Overall, its faults don't overshadow its originality, and it deserves a chance in the comic-movie category. Expand
  12. KeenanS
    May 30, 2009
    I honestly don't think The Spirit was as bad as a lot of people said it was. I actually enjoyed it for what it was. It was stylish and actually funny. Sure the dialogue is campy and dumb, but this was a really fun film to watch.
  13. KendoJ
    Jun 5, 2009
    Great movie! It's not Sin City or 300 but it's still a 'fun' movie with all the cinematographic brilliance we've come to expect from Frank Miller's movies. 1 part Cheese, 3 parts Awesome.
  14. DavidW.
    Dec 26, 2008
    This movie was, well, Weird. It was NOT bad as the numbers say, it was good, but it was most definitely weird. You will walk out of the theatre going, What was that!? But its full of laughs, both at how odd it was and the humor in it. It is not the action thriller that I expected but it was not bad, just odd as hell.
  15. sdfgzvfsdv
    Dec 28, 2008
    I don't get why this movie's getting such shit reviews, overall I think it was a good movie. It was weird and silly as hell, it's obviously meant to be campy and funny and probably a bit of satire. The action scenes were awesome while still having a comical affect to them. However I felt some of the flashback scenes were total crap and fuck that sand saref dyke.
  16. BettiS.
    Dec 28, 2008
    I am a long-time reader and collector of The Spirit comic. The movie is very true to the comic. It was one of the most stunningly beautiful movies I have ever seen -frame after frame I wanted to freeze and keep. Comic book readers will love this movie - there are a lot of inside references.
  17. Antz
    Apr 21, 2009
    If you go in expecting a serious action film or another Sin City you will be disappointed. If you go in expecting a tongue in cheek stylized semi-camp action comedy, you'll like it. It owes a lot more to the 1960's Batman style than it does to the Dark Knight. The audience I saw it with loved it. Definitely a niche film.
  18. Mar 10, 2011
    While it may not be the best super hero movie it's still one I can recommend, it travels of the normal path with it's weird sense of humor which isn't always good, but makes for a truly unique and enjoyable super hero movie.
  19. Mar 17, 2013
    The Spirit wasn't a really good movie but its one hour running time delivers some mind bending fun. The Spirt's visuals were amazing, it's a comedy crime movie and its well done. The villain- Octopus had a wide verity of weapons and he is played by King Of Crime Samuel Jackson. Gabriel Macht was amazing as the spirit and Eva Mendes is one to watch. overall, the spirit is awesome. DespiteThe Spirit wasn't a really good movie but its one hour running time delivers some mind bending fun. The Spirt's visuals were amazing, it's a comedy crime movie and its well done. The villain- Octopus had a wide verity of weapons and he is played by King Of Crime Samuel Jackson. Gabriel Macht was amazing as the spirit and Eva Mendes is one to watch. overall, the spirit is awesome. Despite its long running time and its horrible animation, it was fun. Frank Miller didn't think before making this film, which shows when you watch it but its crazy and too bloody for a PG-13 rated film because gore is depicted throughout the film. Movies like Frank Miller's Sin City were way better but there is something special about this film. Expand

1. It is truly a mess.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Plunges into a watery grave early on and spends roughly the next 100 minutes gasping for air.
    There are good things to be said about The Spirit, but not enough of them to outweigh the bad.