The Squid and the Whale

7.4

1. Jun 8, 2012
    this is a review. this is a review. this is a review. this is a review. this is a review. this is a review. this is a review. this is a review. this is a review. this is a review. this is a review. this is a review. this is a review.
  2. MarkE.
    Apr 3, 2006
    I felt like I watched the shortened version of a much longer film. This kind of story cannot be told in 88 minutes. It would have been nice to see more serious moments of emotion or tension mixed with the dark humour. Also why did they choose the music from 'Risky Business' for the scenes involving the younger boy? The younger boy's role did not describe a confused child in I felt like I watched the shortened version of a much longer film. This kind of story cannot be told in 88 minutes. It would have been nice to see more serious moments of emotion or tension mixed with the dark humour. Also why did they choose the music from 'Risky Business' for the scenes involving the younger boy? The younger boy's role did not describe a confused child in a believable way and was a distraction from the rest of the film. Expand
  3. DanB
    Oct 23, 2005
    It's like a Wes Anderson movie, but with more "real" and "uncomfortable" and, yes, "honest" moments. Oh, and with less of everything else, including humor, good plotting, etc. I hope Anderson takes no cues from this guy... and that he doesn't write his next film with him, either.
  4. PaulF.
    Jan 13, 2006
    This movie could have been so much more. The acting was decent but not out of this world either. The cinematography was fine, ok. But the writing and underling theme was something to be desired. The father was reduced to utter simplicity and the youngest was used mostly for gratuitous shock value. I am not a prude in the least but there was no warrant for his character to do as he did, This movie could have been so much more. The acting was decent but not out of this world either. The cinematography was fine, ok. But the writing and underling theme was something to be desired. The father was reduced to utter simplicity and the youngest was used mostly for gratuitous shock value. I am not a prude in the least but there was no warrant for his character to do as he did, plus it was utterly ridiculous, he was obviously not old enough to be into puberty. The more I think about this film the lower I want to give the score so I'll give it a generous five and leave it at that. Expand
  5. AnonymousMC
    Oct 22, 2006
    Two-dimmensional characters.
  6. RhettW.
    Dec 28, 2005
    I "get it", but I didn't enjoy being around these people.

Tender, cruel, and very funny, Baumbach's fourth feature turns family history into a sort of urban myth.
    Baumbach crams an impressive amount of characterization and humor into 82 minutes.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    Pic makes up in strong performances and wry observation what it sometimes lacks in narrative drive. Result is a perceptive (and unexpectedly moving) portrait of lives in crisis.