The Stepford Wives

3.5

1. Tania
    Jun 14, 2004
    I thought it was a cute movie. I am not sure why it is rated so low. It was entertaining and fun to watch. I would recommend it.
  2. joes.
    Oct 25, 2005
    My favorite movie.
  3. TonyP.
    Jun 17, 2004
    Great play off the orginal. Loved the ending.
  4. AbbyH.&AmyB.
    Dec 2, 2004
    Amy: Good & Okay Abby: Liked It. Interesting, but not as good as the original.
  5. LuisD.
    Jun 10, 2004
    The style is great and i love walken, midler and the always perfect kidman!!! its all about the homage.
  6. GeoM.
    Jun 15, 2004
    OK, it's not going to win any awards and it wasn't the comic tour de force I had hoped for, but my 16 yr old son, my 21 yr old daughter, my wife and I all thought it was worth the matinee price. Midler was funny as ever and I loved the gay couple. It's a summer movie for cripes sake! It's not supposed to be good, it's supposed to be fun, and it is.
  7. BarryR.
    Jul 1, 2004
    Left with no other movie playing at the time we wanted to go, I reluctantly made plans to see "The Stepford Wives". I had been told by some that it was not good and by others that they had left the theater in the middle so as not to have to endure its viewing. One lone soul had told me it was a comedy (which was a surprise to me) so off we went to see it. Surprise, surprise, it was not Left with no other movie playing at the time we wanted to go, I reluctantly made plans to see "The Stepford Wives". I had been told by some that it was not good and by others that they had left the theater in the middle so as not to have to endure its viewing. One lone soul had told me it was a comedy (which was a surprise to me) so off we went to see it. Surprise, surprise, it was not only a comedy but a very tolerable one at that. I guess filled with the expectation that it would be a "loser", anything more seemed greater. However, in fairness to the film, it is a masterpiece of writing when you remember that the original was not only serious but also macabre in its treatment of women in particular and Paula Prentiss in the end (the film's, not hers). This film is funny and very enjoyable. It is light and well-written with terrific performances by Christopher Walken, Nicole Kidman, Mathew Broderick and Bette Midler. There is plenty of chauvinism to go around with men as well as women being the targets. No Academy Award nominations likely but it does earn a 7,0 rating for being entertaining, interesting and, from a technical point of view, an extremely good writing and directorial effort in taking a serious cult classic and making it a humorous endeavor that really works. Replace your spouse's battery and take him or her with you to enjoy the film. Expand
  8. Terra
    Jun 11, 2004
    I REALLY thought they pulled this movie off. I don't agree with the low score given to this film. I went with 2 friends (we all have different taste in films) and we all REALLY liked the film. It was funny and they did a nice job of remaking it and adding some great new twists!
  9. ChadS.
    Jun 11, 2004
    When "The Stepford Wives" bids adieu to the 1975 template, confusion as to the makeup of the Stepford women calls into play, and we're no longer sure if they're humans or androids. There's some ideas, and laughs, a rarity in contemporary comedic films, so it's a shame that the film isn't sure what the women are. "The Stepford Wives" begs to be darker in tone, a When "The Stepford Wives" bids adieu to the 1975 template, confusion as to the makeup of the Stepford women calls into play, and we're no longer sure if they're humans or androids. There's some ideas, and laughs, a rarity in contemporary comedic films, so it's a shame that the film isn't sure what the women are. "The Stepford Wives" begs to be darker in tone, a black comedy, instead of the lighthearted farce we get here. Expand
  10. DavidS.
    Jun 12, 2004
    I thought this was really fun and entertaining. The tone of the film was perfect and even though the logic in it is lacking, that didn't stop me from getting into the surrealistic goofiness of the story. Also, it was beautifully photographed.
  11. MarkB.
    Jun 21, 2004
    I really despised the 1975 straight horror version of Ira Levin's bestseller; not only was watching the destruction of such smart, funny, likable women an incredibly depressing experience, but I was insulted as a man to be told that all I want in a woman is a sex robot. (Well, maybe once in awhile...) Maybe that's why, despite all the negative buzz, I thought that this satiric I really despised the 1975 straight horror version of Ira Levin's bestseller; not only was watching the destruction of such smart, funny, likable women an incredibly depressing experience, but I was insulted as a man to be told that all I want in a woman is a sex robot. (Well, maybe once in awhile...) Maybe that's why, despite all the negative buzz, I thought that this satiric inversion worked pretty wonderfully. Screenwriter Paul Rudnick recognizes the absurdity of the premise early on and runs with it; you gotta love a movie that: (A) finds something fresh to say about reality TV; (B) casts Christopher Walken and Glenn Close in roles that take magnificent advantage of both their firmly-established screen personae AND the contradictions within; (C) realizes as nobody else has since Gus Van Sant's To Die For that Nicole Kidman is a far more powerful comedic presence than a dramatic one (except for Dogville); and (D) gives Faith Hill a perfect bit as a Stepford wife who's just a tad too fond of square dancing. Rudnick's script is loaded with sparkling one-liners and dialogue; his depiction of a women's club meeting that focuses on the virtues of pine cones (!!!) may be the single funniest movie scene so far this year. Let's not forget the underrated director Frank Oz, who pulls it all together; working with Oz, Rudnick also gave us the delightful In & Out; without Oz, Rudnick's scripts for Isn't She Great and Marci X sputter and die onscreen. Perhaps the architects of Stepford can find a way to physically join the two talents so that Rudnick can't make a move (or movie) without Oz. Just kidding! Expand
  12. DawnB.
    Jun 21, 2004
    Fun Movie. It's not meant to be taken seriously. My husband and I throughly enjoyed it. Sometimes you need some mindless fun. Great start to the summer movies.
  13. HughieW
    Jul 12, 2004
    Funny.
  14. DickM.
    Jul 14, 2004
    This was better than I thought it would be. The beginning, which poked fun at reality tv shows, was pretty hilarious and the rest of the movie is generally enjoyable. This is the first time I could tolerate Bette Midler or Glenn Close in a movie. The flamboyantly gay character was surprisingly funny and not annoying like Sean Hayes from Will and Grace or any other exagerated gay This was better than I thought it would be. The beginning, which poked fun at reality tv shows, was pretty hilarious and the rest of the movie is generally enjoyable. This is the first time I could tolerate Bette Midler or Glenn Close in a movie. The flamboyantly gay character was surprisingly funny and not annoying like Sean Hayes from Will and Grace or any other exagerated gay character. I have a slight problem with the ending which took a very hollywood like twist when it could've ended on a very cool creepy scene. Expand
  15. Dec 17, 2012
    Very interesting. One of the weirdest movies I have ever seen and yet it is witty, surprising, and entertaining.

1. At no time do the men -- that is, the straight ones -- believably hold the upper hand. In the new town of Stepford, there's no bitterness, no struggle, no competition, none of the scars of the sexual revolution. There's just gay apparel.
    Contrary to recent rumors that it was a dud, the new Stepford Wives, with its chocolate-box visual style, archly heavy-handed foreshadowing and its scene-for-scene parody of the original's fright strategies (Walken's waxy menace is once again played for laughs), is a gas.
  3. Because the entire audience knows what's going on, the filmmakers hope to distract viewers from storytelling weaknesses with an urgent sense of style.