8.6

1. Oct 26, 2014
    I found this movie emotionally extremely powerful in the sense that although I am quite a stoic person, I could feel the fear Soraya and her Aunt were going through and the humiliation Soraya was subjected to. I cannot imagine what the two ladies must have gone through in real life. Another very important point made by the movie is that the ancient way of dispensing justice has no place inI found this movie emotionally extremely powerful in the sense that although I am quite a stoic person, I could feel the fear Soraya and her Aunt were going through and the humiliation Soraya was subjected to. I cannot imagine what the two ladies must have gone through in real life. Another very important point made by the movie is that the ancient way of dispensing justice has no place in modern times because human beings are imperfect and can manipulate such simplistic and biased laws. It may be a simple and for some even slow movie but it's impact is profound on people who believe that justice must be done. They will enjoy it, love it and loath it at the same time. Loathe it for such great injustice done to Soraya.. Expand
  2. Oct 27, 2013
    The Stoning of Soraya M. was as real today as it have been for centuries. Women in foreign countries can be lied upon very easily as she was in this movie and stoned to death. This depiction broke my heart and the struggle continues. Stoning is wrong and no one deserves this kind of treatment. Her stoning wasn't based off facts but lies and her husband wanted her dead. Watch thisThe Stoning of Soraya M. was as real today as it have been for centuries. Women in foreign countries can be lied upon very easily as she was in this movie and stoned to death. This depiction broke my heart and the struggle continues. Stoning is wrong and no one deserves this kind of treatment. Her stoning wasn't based off facts but lies and her husband wanted her dead. Watch this movie if you can but if you cannot stand to see something that is real don't watch it because this is a real life story and such crimes still exist today. Expand
  3. Jul 27, 2013
    It is riveting, moving and extremely powerful. This is a movie you need to see. The Stoning of Soraya M. is packed with extremely moving and powerful story, with truthful acting and graphic violence that has a reason to be there, because if you cut off some of the violence, if you didn't see it happen, you will say it never happened. It is a movie with a real hero, because think about howIt is riveting, moving and extremely powerful. This is a movie you need to see. The Stoning of Soraya M. is packed with extremely moving and powerful story, with truthful acting and graphic violence that has a reason to be there, because if you cut off some of the violence, if you didn't see it happen, you will say it never happened. It is a movie with a real hero, because think about how many heroes we have now, not many. The story is amazing, the directing is wise and the movie overall is one of a kind. Expand
  4. Apr 28, 2013
    Definitely a must watch, everything in this movie made me mesmerized and into seeing what will happen next, although the ending is spoiled from the title but it is still one of the greatest I have ever experienced.
  5. BennettT
    Aug 3, 2009
    Excellent, must see R-rated brutal film about injustice in Iran, something Iran itself will not discuss, and will not be mentioned on the evening news that is too fixated on Michael Jackson and other fluff pieces that get ratings but say very little of importance.
  6. FrancisL
    Jul 30, 2009
    Such a stridently powerful film. It brings to light and issue that must be exposed! I strongly support positive change in Iran and this movie will definitely serve as a catalyst to that cause. Furthermore the acting, the atmosphere and themes themselves all make for an immersing film that you'll have to see to truly understand. I highly recommend this film for activist and film-lover alike.
  7. CoryG
    Jul 28, 2009
    A powerful and wonderfully adapted story; not once did the film feel fake or contrived in any way! Shohreh Aghdashloo is phenomenal and I really do believe she deserves and Oscar Nomination.
  8. MacarenaA.
    Jul 20, 2009
    If you want to see what is going on around the world and injustice that many people around the world are going through watch this movie!!!
  9. JeffJ
    Jul 19, 2009
    Very powerful story and excellent acting.
  10. GerryF.
    Jul 19, 2009
    Definitely worth seeing. Critics - 5/10, Real People 10/10. The critics in the main stream media would rather trash this masterpiece as it exposes Real Evil, and glorify movies like An Inconvenient Trust which exposes nothing but Liberal fear mongering over EVIL, which can only exist in the mind of a Liberal. This movie deserves and Academy Award, but that will never happen.
  11. BarrieW
    Jul 17, 2009
    Fantastic film ... a real eye-opener as to the plight of women in Iran. One wonders how much has changed since her stoning in 1986!
  12. MariaB.
    Jul 17, 2009
    The Stoning is an amazing movie!! Steve McEveety once again makes a unique inspiring piece of art. It is one of those movies that will move your emotions. A very well done movie in every aspect of it!
  13. HankW.
    Jul 16, 2009
    This film portrays an accurate picture of the social injustice happening in cultures that we often don't hear about. This film does a great job of speaking out for the silent.
  14. LuciaR.
    Jul 16, 2009
    Great movie! I'm glad I watched it.
  15. MarG.
    Jul 14, 2009
    A powerful and touching story The film, based on the true account of a woman unjustly stoned to death, that shows the injustice across the world no matter culturals or gendre conditions. Not to be missed.
  16. BobbieH.
    Jul 13, 2009
    This is a powerful and life-changing movie. The message is one you have to see for yourself, it can't just be told.
  17. JoeZ
    Jul 13, 2009
    Wonderful look into the issue of women's rights and social justice! Definitely recommend!
  18. LorenaL.
    Jul 12, 2009
    insightful, enlightening, poignant, truthful, and courageous! For all the women without a voice... Before I saw the movie, I prepared myself for the violence. I knew that it would have a sad ending. This movie is touching. It moves you and it gently brings you to a reality that is rarely seen in our faded eyes. This is one of the movies that are based on true reality, the reality that insightful, enlightening, poignant, truthful, and courageous! For all the women without a voice... Before I saw the movie, I prepared myself for the violence. I knew that it would have a sad ending. This movie is touching. It moves you and it gently brings you to a reality that is rarely seen in our faded eyes. This is one of the movies that are based on true reality, the reality that women still face today which is beyond my imagination. At the same time, I am a woman living in the United States and sometimes I even feel like my voice is not being heard. I value and admire the strength of the quiet, strong, hardworking woman who never complains about her life. She lives with dignity. Expand
  19. LupeL
    Jul 10, 2009
    Amazing movie!
  20. GadiRR
    Jul 9, 2009
    Inspirational movie! Must see it! let the movie open your eyes and heart!
  21. JoeC
    Jul 8, 2009
    The Stoning was an honest look into the reality of the social injustice occurring in the Middle East. The film portrayed important points regarding an isue which is too often easily overlooked. An eye-opening film that will touch your heart and make you think.
  22. PatriciaT
    Jul 6, 2009
    In a word: impactful. Well acted. Although some characters seem to be rather poorly drawn in order to simply advance to the stoning; there is little ambivalence and shading, which would have added to making the film feel less partial, without taking away the powerful reaction viewers feel about the inhumanity of the unjust "punishment" as well as the horrible conditions that women live in In a word: impactful. Well acted. Although some characters seem to be rather poorly drawn in order to simply advance to the stoning; there is little ambivalence and shading, which would have added to making the film feel less partial, without taking away the powerful reaction viewers feel about the inhumanity of the unjust "punishment" as well as the horrible conditions that women live in under Sharia law. Expand
  23. josephineg
    Jul 2, 2009
    This film breaks my heart and uplifts my soul simultaneously. It takes the exposure of the death of an innocent woman to strike fear in the hearts of the men who persecuted her. It's their own fear of being found out, not the remorse for the sinful crime they've committed, that makes a few of them reevaluate what they've done. There are moments in the film where the This film breaks my heart and uplifts my soul simultaneously. It takes the exposure of the death of an innocent woman to strike fear in the hearts of the men who persecuted her. It's their own fear of being found out, not the remorse for the sinful crime they've committed, that makes a few of them reevaluate what they've done. There are moments in the film where the characters can hault the stoning of Soraya but they choose not to. It is not just Soraya's death but the men's choice to do evil when they could do good that incites anger into the viewer. It is scary to know that there are cultures who still practice injustice in the name of their God and of their self-made laws. Definitely see this film. It is culturally significant and incredibly important given what is going on in Iran today. Instead of turning away from what we know if going on, turn towards the heartbreaking performances of the actors who deserve Oscars for their roles in this film. Expand
  24. tonybaby
    Jul 1, 2009
    Beautifully shot film with an ugly truth behind it. i can't believe this is based on a true story and that this is still practiced today. powerful message. i recommend this to all those who care about these types of senseless killing.
  25. andis
    Jul 1, 2009
    This was so hard to watch but I'm glad I did it. There is no honor in any honor killings! Go see the film and help end stoning forever. This is for all those who care about women's rights and human rights around the world.
  26. MFLPM
    Jul 1, 2009
    Powerful movie in every way! such a strong reality will take your breath away!! MUST SEE IT!
  27. StephanieM
    Jul 1, 2009
    An unbelievable film. So captivating and heart gripping. A must see!!!
  28. claral
    Jul 1, 2009
    I think it's a very good movie... everyone must see it.. I can't believe this things happens nowadays..!!! Someone has to defend those woman's lives !
  29. Mjsgrr
    Jun 30, 2009
    An outstanding movie!!!! create an awareness of so many women and children who goes not only through physical abuse but also psychological. It will move your heart!
  30. MarianaM.
    Jun 30, 2009
    It's a great movie, It touch me! I can believe this thing's still happening today!!!
  31. JennyP
    Jun 29, 2009
    The oppressive reality of this movie is haunting in a life changing way. It makes you want to stand up for women who are oppressed and makes you value the human rights we freely have in the United States. This movie is a call to action and a slap in the face to oppressive cultures who support injustice.
  32. mechi_
    Jun 28, 2009
    Amazing! This movie touch me... I think that we have to join our voices and defend the human dignity !!!
  33. Kimley
    Jun 28, 2009
    It was very disturbing. Very thought-provoking. I wanted to yell out in the theatre, "And these are the kinds of people that Obama wants to negotiate and chat with!"
  34. JoshuaD
    Jun 26, 2009
    I just saw this movie and have but one word. WOW! I honestly struggle with how to put into words what this movie provokes. I was blown away by the struggle of this one woman who would not give in to this terrible injustice. I definitely recommend this movie.
  35. ShirleyA
    Jun 26, 2009
    Remarkable movie...excellent acting and script!! An entire village tried to cover up their injustice and only one witness was unwilling to stay silent. Her only hope of letting everyone her burning secret is a journalist who happens to walk into town the day after this shameful crime took place. It's unforgettable! I greatly recommend it!
  36. SelinaS
    Jun 26, 2009
    This movie is incredibly powerful! The way that they depict the injustices done to women all over the world is so enlightening! Please go to the movie's website to see what you can do to help spread the word and help Women's Rights around the world!

1. Reviewed by: Vadim Rizov
    This is basically self-congratulatory fare for people who feel more "politically conscious" when reminded that women in the Islamic world can have it rough. Right now, you're better off just watching the news.
    The Stoning of Soraya M.”has such a powerful stoning sequence that I recommend it if only for its brutal ideological message. That the pitiful death of Soraya is followed by a false Hollywood upbeat ending involving tape recordings and silliness about a car that won't start is simply shameful. Nowrasteh, born in Colorado, attended the USC Film School. Is that what they teach there?
    Nowrasteh constantly overplays his hand, not realizing that some horrors speak for themselves.