The Sweet Hereafter

8.3

1. Sep 9, 2011
    The value of human life and feelings are visualized in a picturesque manner after 'SCHINDLER'S LIST'. It remembers everyone about the central axis of our living community, it's nothing but the one to one help. Atom Egoyan simply says, there is no compensation for real love and affection towards the loved ones in this human ecosystem. ' THE SWEET HEREAFTER ' leaves it's trace as a bestThe value of human life and feelings are visualized in a picturesque manner after 'SCHINDLER'S LIST'. It remembers everyone about the central axis of our living community, it's nothing but the one to one help. Atom Egoyan simply says, there is no compensation for real love and affection towards the loved ones in this human ecosystem. ' THE SWEET HEREAFTER ' leaves it's trace as a best man-made art of its decade. Collapse
  2. GerronK
    Nov 14, 2005
    Poetic. Impeccable and absolutely powerful. Brutally harsh and at times, too hard to take in, this is a masterpiece beyond words. I ranked this movie #6 on my Top 50 Movies of all time, so that speeks on its profound effect it had on me.
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    Emotionally shattering, it's an amazing meditation on feeling, guilt, blame, and the human condition. Not being able to blame a tragedy on something, something certain, something definite, is what drives us to madness and sadness.
  4. DrewB.
    Sep 20, 2006
    One of the most boring and dull movies I have ever seen. A similar storyline and meaning as so many other movies that are much better. Movies can drag to a buildup but this just drags and then drops you.
  5. PatC.
    Oct 30, 2003
    A solid rendering of the human condition, both personal and social, as the myth of perceived security and entitlement to safety is banished from a cold land. Awkward in spots, but in general shames most movies that presume to have something important to say. Anyone who lives long enough will understand the power embedded in this movie.
  6. UncleScoopy
    Aug 16, 2002
    About as close to perfection as any movie I have seen.
  7. Kevin
    Mar 28, 2006
    Beautiful. Stunning. Blah blah. Probably one of the best movies of the 90's. May eventually end up on best of all time lists.
  8. GaborA.
    Mar 7, 2006
    I was blown away by how good this movie was. A masterpiece.
  9. ButteredPopCorn
    Mar 8, 2003
    Haunting is exactly right. I liked this movie becasue it is so mysterious - still trying to figure it out its subtleties years later. Not many movies are so enriching.
  10. Elliott
    Sep 15, 2003
    Unforgettable. The shot of the accident alone left me breathless... What a remarkable film.
  11. MarkJ.
    Sep 6, 2004
    One of my top 5 of all times.
  12. JeffK
    Sep 8, 2005
    Almost perfect. I have watched the film more than five times and I never fail to be moved, and I have yet to discover much more than very minor stylistic choices. Previously, I found Egoyan's movies to be interesting but self-conscious and arty to the extreme. Here, without sacrificing his creativity, he reveals his exceptional humanity. A must.
  13. VijayS.
    Aug 8, 2002
    Beautiful and poignant!This is a haunting piece of filmmaking without manipulation.
  14. DavidL.
    Oct 9, 2003
    One of the very best films of all time. Ian Holm deserved an Oscar for his heartbreaking performance. The film is an unflinching triumph, a painful, yet life-affirming affirmation of the spirit of life.
  15. LindyA.
    Jul 7, 2005
    This film came out two years after I lost my daughter. I will never forget it or many particular scenes. Today, in 2005 it is very much with me. A remarkable lament on the human condition.
  16. SlipS.
    May 16, 2004
    I thought it was practically unwatchable. Perhaps because I read the book which is great and they changed the story around so that it doesn't make sense and all the characters are hollow.
  17. Jul 19, 2014
    Seldom do people see such power in subtlety. Yet Atom Egoyan takes tragedy seriously, with a moving depiction of how tragedy can effect people, any people. The acting is refreshingly human and not forced. The cinematography's long shots convey a calmness that is quickly shattered, and along with the music, juxtaposes with the story of the film and the characters in a way that adds insightSeldom do people see such power in subtlety. Yet Atom Egoyan takes tragedy seriously, with a moving depiction of how tragedy can effect people, any people. The acting is refreshingly human and not forced. The cinematography's long shots convey a calmness that is quickly shattered, and along with the music, juxtaposes with the story of the film and the characters in a way that adds insight into the lives of the characters. An afflicting drama heavily overshadowed. Expand
  18. Sep 17, 2015
    The story of the film is powerful and compelling. I thought the acting was done a bit poorly, especially the characters of Dolores and the parents of Bear. The music is strange and seems to lack a strong connection to the events. Some of the characters are hard to believe, perhaps that is because to me they are unrealistic. The cinematography is well done. The entirety of the film givesThe story of the film is powerful and compelling. I thought the acting was done a bit poorly, especially the characters of Dolores and the parents of Bear. The music is strange and seems to lack a strong connection to the events. Some of the characters are hard to believe, perhaps that is because to me they are unrealistic. The cinematography is well done. The entirety of the film gives off this eerie feeling that makes you want to stop watching it, because it's slow and not entertaining. That does not mean that it is lacking in value. The meaningful connection between the story of the Pied Piper and the story of the film is difficult to grasp, but it remains coherent and meaningful. All of the characters seem to be stuck in some sort of misery with no way out. The only one who is not is the woman on the plane. I could not understand the last line spoken in the film. Expand

1. I can think of no other movie that has dared to analyze grief and its aftermath with such naked honesty and precision.
    This is truly a great film -- easily one of 1997's best.
  3. The chronological looseness is part of the pleasure of the piece, which magically reassembles in the last reel into something strong, lucid and compellingly powerful.