Columbia Pictures | Release Date: June 12, 2009
6.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 160 Ratings
Watch Now
grandpajoe6191Sep 29, 2011
Despite the fact that the movie suffered painful cliches during the whole time, "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3" is a great,fast paced remake of the 1974 original (never saw it though). The movie's highlight you would want to watch is theDespite the fact that the movie suffered painful cliches during the whole time, "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3" is a great,fast paced remake of the 1974 original (never saw it though). The movie's highlight you would want to watch is the frenzied cinematography of director Tony Scott as well as the tense acting of John Travolta and Denzel Washington. Expand
JasonNJun 13, 2009
Great acting.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
MikeKSep 10, 2010
The perfect rental. Not very substantial, but always entertaining and very intense when it needs to be. Denzel and Travolta's good/bad guy relationship is the star of the show here.
LoganHNov 3, 2009
Actors in this movie seem like they were given a lot of freedom in this movie and just have fun. Denzel and Travolta are amazing in this movie.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
TotoBJun 12, 2009
Loved it. Easy fast ride.
TomSJun 14, 2009
All action. Not a boring moment. A lot of fun.
JackFJun 18, 2009
This was the best movie that I've seen this year!
NIkoTheVideoKIDJun 24, 2009
Ok, so first of all, I honsestly like John Travolta as Ryder, and I thought the banter between him and Garber was believable and interesting. He is beleivable, but some of his cohorts are simply un-cool.
ShadowWJun 25, 2009
I did not get too bored, however it was not what I really expected.
JosiahKJun 28, 2009
Great performance by Travolta and Washington. I really was surprised by how entertaining this movie turned out to be.
BobKJun 29, 2009
I'm surprised this movie got such mediocre reviews. It was good entertainment and well worth the admission. It's been a long time since I've seen the original - maybe I'll try and rent it.
HowardJJul 3, 2009
Well done on acting, especially Denzel Washington. I am not sure if all the cursing was required on Travolta's part. While I was able to follow most of the plot, there were parts that lost my wife. Nice updating of the 1974 original.
RielCJul 14, 2009
This is one of my favorite movies!!! The critics got it all wrong. They said all of the 4 X-Men movies sucked, and they were all good weren't they?? They also said the movie Taken sucked. That was one of my favorite movies... Anyway, This is one of my favorite movies!!! The critics got it all wrong. They said all of the 4 X-Men movies sucked, and they were all good weren't they?? They also said the movie Taken sucked. That was one of my favorite movies... Anyway, The Taking of Pelham 123 is an excellent movie. There is major suspense, and you always think you know what will happen, but then the movie just takes a different turn. This movie has a supreme story, and everything is just perfect. Collapse
JoshWAug 4, 2009
A great movie! well acted with a very clever plot and a fantastic finale!!!
JonnyWAug 11, 2009
A film that has it all, a rich and powerful storyline, believable and likable characters, and perhaps less importantly a great soundtrack and sense of humor.
ChrisP.Aug 17, 2009
Denzel was really good one more time.I just love his movies. the movie has a lot of action and and a powerful plot.of course also mentionable must be the amazing song of jigga "99 problems"!!!
YSHSep 13, 2009
Electric performances from Washington and Travolta - the tension arcs and crackles! Good performance too from Turturro. The story has some great plot twists and the camera work looks slick. Well worth a watch.
CapoROct 11, 2009
It may leave you at the edge of your seat most of the time but there's something lacking in the movie. Nevertheless, this is a movie that will be remembered as one of the best thrillers so far.
CarlosSDec 5, 2009
No waiting around for action in the movie. John is awesome as a bad guy in this movie. From begining to end this movie is great.
oblique15Sep 1, 2013
You can wish for more out of a movie, but "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3," is more than fine. The talk between John Travolta and Denzel Washington was very interesting the whole way. Honestly the whole movie is interesting all the way to the end.
MovieGuysApr 23, 2014
The remake of this great action caper isn't as bad as most will say. It might not be that faithful to the original's methods of storytelling and thrills, but it is still a good effort. It's nice to see present-day actors like Travolta andThe remake of this great action caper isn't as bad as most will say. It might not be that faithful to the original's methods of storytelling and thrills, but it is still a good effort. It's nice to see present-day actors like Travolta and Denzel pull this thing off. Expand
RealMuthaFAug 22, 2014
Only posting this because I think this movie is a bit underrated. I haven't watched the 1974 original, but I must say that this is expertly crafted, with two great actors on the main roles - Denzel Washington and John Travolta - performingOnly posting this because I think this movie is a bit underrated. I haven't watched the 1974 original, but I must say that this is expertly crafted, with two great actors on the main roles - Denzel Washington and John Travolta - performing outstandingly, with great charisma. The movie, while presenting a pretty straightforward hostage situation plot (and some awkward subplots, like the teen couple), is very intense with suspense being almost palpable at certain moments.
So, know this: Tony Scott (rest in peace) didn't make bad movies. And Denzel Washington doesn't star in bad movies. So when Washington stars in a film by Scott, it just can't go wrong. And it didn't.
ydnar4Feb 12, 2015
Its cool to see a action movie that has two great actors, one as the protagonist and one as the antagonist. I love watching the bickering between Washington and Travolta throughout the movie. I'd watch this again.
ThegodfathersonFeb 12, 2015
This is a solid remake, it pays homage to the classic and adds in pop culture to entertain new viewers. Denzel Washington, perfectly plays, Walter Garber, a man who is caught in a race against time, when he is trying to get hostages out of aThis is a solid remake, it pays homage to the classic and adds in pop culture to entertain new viewers. Denzel Washington, perfectly plays, Walter Garber, a man who is caught in a race against time, when he is trying to get hostages out of a train, run by a madman- Ryder, played brilliantly by John Travolta. The flashy editing, with JayZ's 99 Problems ringing out in tough moments, is pure gold. It adds a funny spice to it. Garber is revealed to have taken a bribe, and more hell goes down in the 1 hr and 20 minutes of this film. It has it problems though. The movie is very short, compared to the classic. Major plot holes are never shed light on, and James Gandolfini's Mayor turns into a dick quickly. The screenplay is okay, the actors have simple lines, and none of them have a kick to it. Overall, this is an attempt at making a redefined 123, and it works for the most part. Tony Scott, R.I.P. Expand