7.9

1. AlexS.
    Mar 9, 2007
    Definitely a classic. Made long before attention deficit cinema came along and made everyone, collectively, a little dumber than we once were. The establishing shots in the early parts of the film are so moody, slow and dread inducing - a fitting set-up for what comes later. This is how it's done.
  2. AllyB.
    Mar 29, 2008
    I first saw this movie back in 98 when i was about 15 years old, and at the time, i was so terrified to even walk along my street at night it affected me that much, I refused to watch it again until someone as a laugh bought it for me for Christmas a few years later. It was only then i began to appreciate the movie and the intensity of the atmosphere that surrounded the whole movie in I first saw this movie back in 98 when i was about 15 years old, and at the time, i was so terrified to even walk along my street at night it affected me that much, I refused to watch it again until someone as a laugh bought it for me for Christmas a few years later. It was only then i began to appreciate the movie and the intensity of the atmosphere that surrounded the whole movie in general, Yes it still scares the *bleep* out of me but thats why i love it, It makes me feel every emotion under the sun, Claustrophobia, Fear, Tension, Joy, Reflection, and bloomin' well thankful that i wont ever come across Leatherface anytime soon! Expand
  3. Jul 1, 2013
    I quite enjoyed the 2003 remake and the two prequels that followed afterwards so I kind of wanted to go back to where it all began and see what the original was like. Considering it's mid 70's I still managed to enjoy it and can see how effective this would have been back then, perhaps not so much now but still its a very well done Horror film, and was probably the first of its kind backI quite enjoyed the 2003 remake and the two prequels that followed afterwards so I kind of wanted to go back to where it all began and see what the original was like. Considering it's mid 70's I still managed to enjoy it and can see how effective this would have been back then, perhaps not so much now but still its a very well done Horror film, and was probably the first of its kind back then. All things considered its not a great film, but I'll give it props for still making me jump! Expand
  4. Apr 1, 2013
    it was alright in terms of horror it was creepy and unerving but the movie started out boring and things only started getting good in the last 20-30 minutes of the movie. It was good i can see why people like it but i didnt find it the best but i will admit the leatherface in this creeped the hell out of me
  5. Sep 23, 2011
    I don't quite get the 'artistically' brutal gore & blood, but what makes the movie worth watching is the last 15 minutes.
  6. zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Apr 3, 2005
    I like gore but there was just too much in this- it was boring! Just a load of really annoying hippies running around screaming. Shut up! And then there's the ending. Need I say more?
  7. LB
    Apr 3, 2005
    Ahhh, how nice it was once all that screaming and chain sawing had stopped. Don't bother watching it. Seriously.
  8. NeilM.
    Dec 16, 2003
    I'd heard many comments about how great the movie was but never got round to seeing it until after the re-make in 2003. the re-make was by far a better horror film with a better story line.
  9. RobinE.
    Mar 16, 2008
    One of the greatest movies of all time!
  10. RD
    Sep 10, 2006
    Scariest movie of 70s along with
  11. yurig.
    Jul 8, 2005
    What on earth are you people talking about? There is virtually no gore in the entire movie. No gore at all. It relies on pace, intensity, and sheer creepiness to create the greatest horror movie ever made.
  12. R.Campbell
    Mar 1, 2006
    What the hell can I or need I really say here folks? This is certainly one of the most beloved horror films of all time. It might also be one of the most notorious horror films of all time, especially to mainstreamers and non-horror fans. The mention of its name is sure to get you some kind of reaction from a person one way or the other. The best film Tobe Hopper will ever make has stood What the hell can I or need I really say here folks? This is certainly one of the most beloved horror films of all time. It might also be one of the most notorious horror films of all time, especially to mainstreamers and non-horror fans. The mention of its name is sure to get you some kind of reaction from a person one way or the other. The best film Tobe Hopper will ever make has stood the test of time for nearly 30 years. It would be great to have an awesome 30th anniversary theatrical release in 2004 wouldn Expand
  13. IanReyP.
    Oct 18, 2008
    I have only watched this version of the Texas Chainsaw, and it had a good story. The sounds really spooked me, and I had to lower the volume. I was scared in some scenes but I wished those scenes were expanded more, I did not felt so much is some of them. Since this film was made in the 70s I had to give a bigger credit and give it a 9.
  14. JayH.
    Dec 30, 2008
    The Granddaddy of all slasher films. It does an amazing job with such a low budget. Great camerawork, fine direction and it is definitely scary. The screaming girl gets to be a bit much though.
  15. KevinE.
    Oct 22, 2003
    I love it.
  16. RobR.
    Feb 3, 2004
    I left the theatre wanting my $6.50 back. It really was that bad. Better acting than expected though. Plenty of gore but not nearly scary enough, and I can spook myself out with my own shadow..I expected to be up all night, scared silly...I slept like a baby and only felt silly I wasted my time and money. [Ed: If you paid $6.50 in 1974, you were ripped off, my friend.]
  17. LouisH.
    Aug 3, 2005
    This movie is not a horror classic because it is scary it is a horror classic because, of the very wierd eeary feeling of the movie.
  18. RithchieD.
    Sep 26, 2005
    The movie speaks for it self.
  19. adri
    May 13, 2006
    Excelent! impresionant film, the best horror movie of the world.
  20. MichaelE.
    Feb 23, 2007
    Way, WAY more intense and disturbing than it's numerous remakes and, in fact, almost any horror film made in the last decade.
  21. TonnyS.
    Dec 11, 2003
    The best movie i have seen.
  22. AndrewM
    Jul 18, 2004
    (7.5) There is so much right, in terms of development and execution, about this film that it's strengths overshadow its' flaws (and there are a few of them!) The acting is generally strong, odd for a low-budget horror thriller. The storyline is tight and simplistic, which is an asset for such a film. The cinematography is appropriately spooky, in fact down-right chilling in (7.5) There is so much right, in terms of development and execution, about this film that it's strengths overshadow its' flaws (and there are a few of them!) The acting is generally strong, odd for a low-budget horror thriller. The storyline is tight and simplistic, which is an asset for such a film. The cinematography is appropriately spooky, in fact down-right chilling in places. And the directing is inspired. In fact, the most impressive thing about this film is the actual camera work. Tobe Hooper obviously had a natural gift for knowing just where to put the camera in order to maintain suspense and deliver the odd power-punch surprise. Some of the off-character shots in this film are genius; even though nothing is happening at that moment, the visual created by the camera keeps you gripped tightly to your chair, anticipation the premium! Later in the film, inside the crazed family's house, the direction takes you deep into a swirling vortex of a nightmare, actually enabling you to live and breath the fear that the surviving character is feeling. It's as gifted a piece of work as Carpenter's job with Halloween. The disappointing aspect though is that the whole film, the whole experience, isn't as effective or accomplished as a landmark film like Halloween. Without going into detail, there were a couple of factors about this film I didn't like. The main one was the ending. In brief, it was crap! Possibly I reacted to it not in the way Hooper intended...but I was certainly unimpressed. I felt that it really took some of the gloss off what had been achieved earlier in the film. Aside from that, and a couple of other comparatively weak scenes, this is a unique and intelligent film, a horror milestone, and a brilliant example of how to grab and manipulate an audience with clever, skillful filmmaking. Expand
  23. DavidS.
    Oct 27, 2008
    This movie is an atmospheric powerhouse. I don't think I've ever seen a film that quite portrays so unique a feel. Although some scenes seem overplayed today, and splatter-fans wont be too disturbed by it, 'Massacre' still packs a punch with its nightmareish dusty red visuals and slow but determined development. The deaths themselves are rather unique, since they are This movie is an atmospheric powerhouse. I don't think I've ever seen a film that quite portrays so unique a feel. Although some scenes seem overplayed today, and splatter-fans wont be too disturbed by it, 'Massacre' still packs a punch with its nightmareish dusty red visuals and slow but determined development. The deaths themselves are rather unique, since they are done in a brutal but almost offhanded manner, in contrast to the "look, see? He's dead! Isn't it horrible??" style of many modern horror movies. The final piece of the puzzle is the experimental but fitting musical score, which compliments the visuals very well. A movie that holds its own, even today. Expand
  24. Corey
    Nov 28, 2003
    I remember when this movie first came out in the theaters. My sister took me to see it. It scared small silent farts out of me. A true masterpiece.
  25. Feb 17, 2015
    It kind of pains me to have to criticize this movie for not aging well. I mean it was made it 1974 for crying out loud and it's not hard to imagine how terrifying it must have been to people back then. Today however it's not scary in the least and can be rather boring. Sometimes it's even annoying.

The excellent portrayal of the crazy, backwoods family is still kind of creepy and absurd in a black-humor sort of way. However outside of that and the influence it had on the genre there's nothing else that stands out about it. At least not in a good way.

The pacing has aged mostly well, but some scenes just drag on for too long. Was it really necessary to have a prolonged section where Marilyn Burns is just screaming non-stop for several minutes? It's old-school filmmaking decisions like that which make the film kind of hard to watch today.

It's definitely a classic of the horror genre. However it's just not one that's aged well at all. Due to it's legacy it's one I can say I'm glad I watched. I just can't say that I enjoyed it. It's a piece of horror history that any hardcore genre aficionado should check out. However doing so means putting up with a lot of issues brought on by age. Because of that it really is only for the most hardcore of horror fans.
  26. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    An essential horror classic. A very disturbing slasher film that can't be ignored or forgotten.
  27. Sep 13, 2011
    Best horror movie ever. Period. Even hooper himself cant come close to this extremely bright flash in the pan. gunnar hansen's performance is pitch perfect. its extremely easy to screw up leatherface as the sequels showed. also an extremely disturbing ending. halloween cant touch it with a javelin. friday the 13th...lets not go there shall we?
  28. Feb 15, 2014
    Hooper directs a powerful story about a serial killer and a group of people that eventually are terrorized by it. I was scared, I was shocked and even more impressed. This movie is a true piece of cinema that one can not just ignore, but feel the impulse to watch, and enjoy the elements of a horror film unfold before the eyes.
  29. May 5, 2014
    I was watching Hooper's Classic movie Texas chain saw . I was just grossed when i saw the film, not only is it sick , gross , distrubing Its Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!! . " Hopper's Chain saw massacre is the new horror movie but amazing ". Grade A+
  30. Nov 12, 2014
    Arguably the greatest horror film of all time. In my opinion, it is. I'm not a big horror fan but this is definitely a fantastic film. Great acting and is incredibly realistic. Not gonna spoil it but the ending scene was brilliant and very suspenseful. Personally, I don't think you can call yourself a horror fan if you haven't seen this movie.

1. Reviewed by: Chris Parcellin
    A black-humored, unflinching look at the Ugly American at his psychotic worst. And Tobe Hooper is at his best as a writer and director here.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    An intelligent, absorbing, and deeply disturbing horror film that is nearly bloodless in its depiction of violence. Using the age-old technique of suggestion, combined with a gritty, well-executed (no pun intended) visual style, the film seems much bloodier than it actually is.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Emery
    Hooper's vision is horrid yet engrossing... But the worst part about this vision is that despite its sensational aspects, it never seems too far from what could be the truth.