7.9

1. AlexS.
    Mar 9, 2007
    Definitely a classic. Made long before attention deficit cinema came along and made everyone, collectively, a little dumber than we once were. The establishing shots in the early parts of the film are so moody, slow and dread inducing - a fitting set-up for what comes later. This is how it's done.
  2. AllyB.
    Mar 29, 2008
    I first saw this movie back in 98 when i was about 15 years old, and at the time, i was so terrified to even walk along my street at night it affected me that much, I refused to watch it again until someone as a laugh bought it for me for Christmas a few years later. It was only then i began to appreciate the movie and the intensity of the atmosphere that surrounded the whole movie in I first saw this movie back in 98 when i was about 15 years old, and at the time, i was so terrified to even walk along my street at night it affected me that much, I refused to watch it again until someone as a laugh bought it for me for Christmas a few years later. It was only then i began to appreciate the movie and the intensity of the atmosphere that surrounded the whole movie in general, Yes it still scares the *bleep* out of me but thats why i love it, It makes me feel every emotion under the sun, Claustrophobia, Fear, Tension, Joy, Reflection, and bloomin' well thankful that i wont ever come across Leatherface anytime soon! Expand
  3. RobinE.
    Mar 16, 2008
    One of the greatest movies of all time!
  4. RD
    Sep 10, 2006
    Scariest movie of 70s along with
  5. yurig.
    Jul 8, 2005
    What on earth are you people talking about? There is virtually no gore in the entire movie. No gore at all. It relies on pace, intensity, and sheer creepiness to create the greatest horror movie ever made.
  6. R.Campbell
    Mar 1, 2006
    What the hell can I or need I really say here folks? This is certainly one of the most beloved horror films of all time. It might also be one of the most notorious horror films of all time, especially to mainstreamers and non-horror fans. The mention of its name is sure to get you some kind of reaction from a person one way or the other. The best film Tobe Hopper will ever make has stood What the hell can I or need I really say here folks? This is certainly one of the most beloved horror films of all time. It might also be one of the most notorious horror films of all time, especially to mainstreamers and non-horror fans. The mention of its name is sure to get you some kind of reaction from a person one way or the other. The best film Tobe Hopper will ever make has stood the test of time for nearly 30 years. It would be great to have an awesome 30th anniversary theatrical release in 2004 wouldn Expand
  7. IanReyP.
    Oct 18, 2008
    I have only watched this version of the Texas Chainsaw, and it had a good story. The sounds really spooked me, and I had to lower the volume. I was scared in some scenes but I wished those scenes were expanded more, I did not felt so much is some of them. Since this film was made in the 70s I had to give a bigger credit and give it a 9.
  8. JayH.
    Dec 30, 2008
    The Granddaddy of all slasher films. It does an amazing job with such a low budget. Great camerawork, fine direction and it is definitely scary. The screaming girl gets to be a bit much though.
  9. KevinE.
    Oct 22, 2003
    I love it.
  10. LouisH.
    Aug 3, 2005
    This movie is not a horror classic because it is scary it is a horror classic because, of the very wierd eeary feeling of the movie.
  11. RithchieD.
    Sep 26, 2005
    The movie speaks for it self.
  12. adri
    May 13, 2006
    Excelent! impresionant film, the best horror movie of the world.
  13. MichaelE.
    Feb 23, 2007
    Way, WAY more intense and disturbing than it's numerous remakes and, in fact, almost any horror film made in the last decade.
  14. TonnyS.
    Dec 11, 2003
    The best movie i have seen.
  15. AndrewM
    Jul 18, 2004
    (7.5) There is so much right, in terms of development and execution, about this film that it's strengths overshadow its' flaws (and there are a few of them!) The acting is generally strong, odd for a low-budget horror thriller. The storyline is tight and simplistic, which is an asset for such a film. The cinematography is appropriately spooky, in fact down-right chilling in (7.5) There is so much right, in terms of development and execution, about this film that it's strengths overshadow its' flaws (and there are a few of them!) The acting is generally strong, odd for a low-budget horror thriller. The storyline is tight and simplistic, which is an asset for such a film. The cinematography is appropriately spooky, in fact down-right chilling in places. And the directing is inspired. In fact, the most impressive thing about this film is the actual camera work. Tobe Hooper obviously had a natural gift for knowing just where to put the camera in order to maintain suspense and deliver the odd power-punch surprise. Some of the off-character shots in this film are genius; even though nothing is happening at that moment, the visual created by the camera keeps you gripped tightly to your chair, anticipation the premium! Later in the film, inside the crazed family's house, the direction takes you deep into a swirling vortex of a nightmare, actually enabling you to live and breath the fear that the surviving character is feeling. It's as gifted a piece of work as Carpenter's job with Halloween. The disappointing aspect though is that the whole film, the whole experience, isn't as effective or accomplished as a landmark film like Halloween. Without going into detail, there were a couple of factors about this film I didn't like. The main one was the ending. In brief, it was crap! Possibly I reacted to it not in the way Hooper intended...but I was certainly unimpressed. I felt that it really took some of the gloss off what had been achieved earlier in the film. Aside from that, and a couple of other comparatively weak scenes, this is a unique and intelligent film, a horror milestone, and a brilliant example of how to grab and manipulate an audience with clever, skillful filmmaking. Expand
  16. DavidS.
    Oct 27, 2008
    This movie is an atmospheric powerhouse. I don't think I've ever seen a film that quite portrays so unique a feel. Although some scenes seem overplayed today, and splatter-fans wont be too disturbed by it, 'Massacre' still packs a punch with its nightmareish dusty red visuals and slow but determined development. The deaths themselves are rather unique, since they are This movie is an atmospheric powerhouse. I don't think I've ever seen a film that quite portrays so unique a feel. Although some scenes seem overplayed today, and splatter-fans wont be too disturbed by it, 'Massacre' still packs a punch with its nightmareish dusty red visuals and slow but determined development. The deaths themselves are rather unique, since they are done in a brutal but almost offhanded manner, in contrast to the "look, see? He's dead! Isn't it horrible??" style of many modern horror movies. The final piece of the puzzle is the experimental but fitting musical score, which compliments the visuals very well. A movie that holds its own, even today. Expand
  17. Corey
    Nov 28, 2003
    I remember when this movie first came out in the theaters. My sister took me to see it. It scared small silent farts out of me. A true masterpiece.
  18. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    An essential horror classic. A very disturbing slasher film that can't be ignored or forgotten.
  19. Sep 13, 2011
    Best horror movie ever. Period. Even hooper himself cant come close to this extremely bright flash in the pan. gunnar hansen's performance is pitch perfect. its extremely easy to screw up leatherface as the sequels showed. also an extremely disturbing ending. halloween cant touch it with a javelin. friday the 13th...lets not go there shall we?
  20. Jun 25, 2015
    I think the acting is the strongest part of this movie. It helped get me involved with the characters and did manage to scare me. Still a good horror flick.
  21. Feb 15, 2014
    Hooper directs a powerful story about a serial killer and a group of people that eventually are terrorized by it. I was scared, I was shocked and even more impressed. This movie is a true piece of cinema that one can not just ignore, but feel the impulse to watch, and enjoy the elements of a horror film unfold before the eyes.
  22. May 5, 2014
    I was watching Hooper's Classic movie Texas chain saw . I was just grossed when i saw the film, not only is it sick , gross , distrubing Its Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!! . " Hopper's Chain saw massacre is the new horror movie but amazing ". Grade A+
  23. Nov 12, 2014
    Arguably the greatest horror film of all time. In my opinion, it is. I'm not a big horror fan but this is definitely a fantastic film. Great acting and is incredibly realistic. Not gonna spoil it but the ending scene was brilliant and very suspenseful. Personally, I don't think you can call yourself a horror fan if you haven't seen this movie.
  24. Jun 4, 2015
    O filme demostra aquele terror agoniante, algo como sangue e medo, tortura e dor, os personagens sabem atuar, o problema foi o come├žo e o fim, que foram mal aplicados no filme.

1. Reviewed by: Chris Parcellin
    A black-humored, unflinching look at the Ugly American at his psychotic worst. And Tobe Hooper is at his best as a writer and director here.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    An intelligent, absorbing, and deeply disturbing horror film that is nearly bloodless in its depiction of violence. Using the age-old technique of suggestion, combined with a gritty, well-executed (no pun intended) visual style, the film seems much bloodier than it actually is.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Emery
    Hooper's vision is horrid yet engrossing... But the worst part about this vision is that despite its sensational aspects, it never seems too far from what could be the truth.