6.6

1. Sep 22, 2011
    Terrible, just terrible. What Marcus Nispel demonstrated throughout the movie is how much blood he can present to the audience and how far his movie can fall into the Abyss of failure.
  2. Dec 24, 2010
    Just gross gore. There is NOTHING scary about this film. Films like this ought not be called 'horrors,' since they just gross people out. There is not a single psychologically frightening scene in this film... Made for teenagers, really.
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    Seriously! Do you call this a horror movie! Can I even compare it with its prequel?! It is not scare not an R-Rated "Horror" should be at least a PG-13 or a hard PG if the first kissing scene edited, this is not a horror, its prequel is way to better, watch Texas Chainsaw 3D less **** and save your time, Micheal Bay's The Texas Chainsaw a good time for a 9 years old! Pretty much it!
  4. Oct 16, 2010
    I watched the 1974 original before watching this remake. well, this one had a few changes with the killing scenes and the storyline, but to be fair, lets just say that whoever made it sure had a good try.
  5. Nov 26, 2011
    It was a good film. It was scary and interesting and I thought it was a solid remake. The only bad thing is the lack of originality in it and a poor female lead.
  6. Jul 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everything this does is completely miss the mark of the original. The '74 classic gives a grim realistic tone, relying on building atmosphere before frightening us. It doesn't rely on buckets of blood since it was low-budget. This reimagining just amps it up with gore, lots of blood and too polished in terms of production values. The characters are forgettable which makes you care less if they suffer and die. R. Lee Ermey doesn't even bring any justice as the impersonating sheriff who's also a member of the insane family. His death scene made me scream "Hell yeah!"; unlike in the original where the hitchhiker is killed during the final chase scene that made my heart beat faster. Leatherface in this movie is just ridiculous, his mask looks like a clown mask shoved in an easy-bake oven. The original mask is made of flesh from past victims and poorly made. It tries to recreate the original scenes with no sense of subtlety. A shameless remake that doesn't deserve to be seen. Expand
  7. Sep 1, 2011
    Better than the Original. It had more storyline, the effects were better and it was much scarier. My only criticism is that it relies on bloody violence to make it more scary, but there was some brilliant suspense.
  8. Sep 17, 2011
    The first one from those remakes' trend which lasts till today, unlike the majority which came later, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake is worthy and valid, which followed a path somewhat different from the original, a bit away from that amateurism (many think that's what made the first film so creepy), but without economizing the suspense and blood. The direction from Niespel Marcus is quite stylish, the cast, despite only containing good looking actors, is good. It is really worthwhile. Expand
  9. May 6, 2011
    I enjoy horror movies. I'm not some crazy fan who will watch nothing but them, but i enjoy them. Is this movie good? No, not really. Is it bad? No, not really. Its EXACTLY in the middle. The acting was bearable and the movie changed up some scenes from the original which keeps it from being same old deaths (which the first one was over and over). The original was god aweful. Don't call me stupid for saything that because it's true. The only reason you people like it is because it's a "classic" and the only reason it's a classic is because it's "true". This movie did have useless gore in it but not enough to make me turn it off. Overall; Not bad, but not good.
    PS- To all you idiots out there who like it because it had gore in it. SCREW YOU! That does not make a movie so shut up. Blood does not make a movie good. You people just don't know movies.
  10. Feb 26, 2013
    I am a big fan of Horror movies, but believe it or not, this is the only version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre that I ever liked. The reason is simple, for this one, they actually got a real cast that include two of my favorite actors and the gorgeous Jessica Biel. This story isn't any different than the other ones. A bunch of friends on a road trip take a wrong turn and find themselves being hunted by a mad man. The film is full of gore, bad jokes, and beautiful people, it's really nothing out of the ordinary, except for the cast. Great actors can make anything entertaining, even the most bland and repetitive film gets new life when you introduce a cast like this. Three extremely talented and under appreciated actors, give support to the less experienced cast members, and while much of the film was focused on Biel and Leatherface, you could still see the influence of the veteran stars on the rest of this cast. If you don't like Horror, this film won't change your mind. If you're looking for originality, you won't find it here. If you're looking for some good performances from a very talented cast, that is something The remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre will give you. Expand
  11. Feb 21, 2012
    A solid horror remake imo. It introduces a new generation of fans to the series and it worked out very well imo. It was scary, It featured decent acting through out, and imo its one of the best horror films released in the 2000s.
  12. Mar 20, 2012
    This movie gets alot of hell for being to far from the original. I personally think its better than the original. Its a extremely well made horror film. Instead of making an exact replica of the 1974 cult film, they take the basic idea and run with it, adding a great likable cast, gritty camera work, and a top notch musical score. While this is the remake that started the trend, its also one of the best horror films of the 20th century. 9/10. Expand
  13. Feb 2, 2013
    In August, 1973, five teens set across the Texas highway on their way to a concert, when a chance encounter with a suicidal hitchhiker forces them to stop for help. As they wait for the town's hick sheriff to collect the body, two of the teens run off to a nearby house to use the phone, where they come face to face with a murderous clan of cannibals and their chainsaw-wielding son, Leatherface! THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is reborn in Platinum Dunes' 2003 remake, but where so many other attempts to revitalize the 1970's and 80's Slasher craze have failed, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE succeeds in shocking and terrifying a whole new generation of moviegoers. It is just what a remake should be, honoring the original with the same basic plot outline and characters, while creating its own unique identity and mood. Marcus Nispel's washed out color palette is drowned in putrid greens and blues, which give the misty forest and dilapidated hallways of the Hewitt household a sickening overall effect. While this version does feature more gore, it is not built on simply disgusting the audience, but takes just as much time developing a deep-seated terror and suspense. This creates moments of intense anticipation that pay off in jolting shocks! Although Nispel has chosen to fill the cast with familiar teen favorites, Scott Kosar's script makes them likeable characters with whom the audience can relate. The best choice obviously comes in the decision to hire R. Lee Ermy, whose crass behavior and vulgar humor make him perfect in the role of Sheriff Hoyt. Ermy dominates the film, and becomes even more sadistic and frightening than Leatherface, himself! Andrew Bryniarski's fast and forceful approach to the character makes him very imposing as well, even if he falls slightly behind Gunnar Hansen as the iconic killer. TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE may not leave the same lasting impression as its predecessor, but its horrifying, edge-of-your seat excitement easily makes it the best remake to come out of the 2000's.

-Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  14. ETV
    Apr 22, 2012
    What an awful film. Like. Seriously!!! Everything was predictable and not one character was likable. So glad I borrowed the DVD and not wasted my money on it
  15. Jan 12, 2013
    A good remake so scary that you will die of fear.
  16. May 22, 2013
    This was a very impressive Horror film that only seems to keep getting better every time I watch it. The flaws are minimal but the major one that's worth pointing out is the almost PG death scenes (studio was avoiding hitting a R rating) but that aside it's a great remake! Jessica Beil is great as the leading lady and joined by a talented cast. Storyline can't be messed around with too much but it wasn't and it made for a very effective remake and a real delight to watch for any Horror fan! Expand
  17. Feb 15, 2014
    Extended scenes of bloody violence and gore will not make up for the fact that this film is a terrible remake. Somewhat good directed, but badly acted.
  18. Mar 1, 2014
    Great movie. Great cast. One of my favourite movies ever made. I honestly terrified me when I found out this was based on a true story. One of the best remakes.

1. The gruesomely unnecessary remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is such a smorgasbord of slimy grunge that to call the movie gross wouldn't do it justice -- it's downright sticky.
    The film delivers with enough consistency to warrant a qualified recommendation for those seeking a few extra scares at this time of the year.
  3. I don't know if Nispel and Scott Kosar, who make their feature film debuts here, are the worst director and writer in the world, though they might well represent the United States if anyone holds a competition. I do know they deliver a total of zero laughs, scares or surprises in this remake of the infamously creepy 1974 picture.