6.7

1. Mar 1, 2014
    Great movie. Great cast. One of my favourite movies ever made. I honestly terrified me when I found out this was based on a true story. One of the best remakes.
  2. May 22, 2013
    This was a very impressive Horror film that only seems to keep getting better every time I watch it. The flaws are minimal but the major one that's worth pointing out is the almost PG death scenes (studio was avoiding hitting a R rating) but that aside it's a great remake! Jessica Beil is great as the leading lady and joined by a talented cast. Storyline can't be messed around with too much but it wasn't and it made for a very effective remake and a real delight to watch for any Horror fan! Expand
  3. Feb 2, 2013
    In August, 1973, five teens set across the Texas highway on their way to a concert, when a chance encounter with a suicidal hitchhiker forces them to stop for help. As they wait for the town's hick sheriff to collect the body, two of the teens run off to a nearby house to use the phone, where they come face to face with a murderous clan of cannibals and their chainsaw-wielding son, Leatherface! THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is reborn in Platinum Dunes' 2003 remake, but where so many other attempts to revitalize the 1970's and 80's Slasher craze have failed, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE succeeds in shocking and terrifying a whole new generation of moviegoers. It is just what a remake should be, honoring the original with the same basic plot outline and characters, while creating its own unique identity and mood. Marcus Nispel's washed out color palette is drowned in putrid greens and blues, which give the misty forest and dilapidated hallways of the Hewitt household a sickening overall effect. While this version does feature more gore, it is not built on simply disgusting the audience, but takes just as much time developing a deep-seated terror and suspense. This creates moments of intense anticipation that pay off in jolting shocks! Although Nispel has chosen to fill the cast with familiar teen favorites, Scott Kosar's script makes them likeable characters with whom the audience can relate. The best choice obviously comes in the decision to hire R. Lee Ermy, whose crass behavior and vulgar humor make him perfect in the role of Sheriff Hoyt. Ermy dominates the film, and becomes even more sadistic and frightening than Leatherface, himself! Andrew Bryniarski's fast and forceful approach to the character makes him very imposing as well, even if he falls slightly behind Gunnar Hansen as the iconic killer. TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE may not leave the same lasting impression as its predecessor, but its horrifying, edge-of-your seat excitement easily makes it the best remake to come out of the 2000's.

-Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  4. Mar 20, 2012
    This movie gets alot of hell for being to far from the original. I personally think its better than the original. Its a extremely well made horror film. Instead of making an exact replica of the 1974 cult film, they take the basic idea and run with it, adding a great likable cast, gritty camera work, and a top notch musical score. While this is the remake that started the trend, its also one of the best horror films of the 20th century. 9/10. Expand

1. The gruesomely unnecessary remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is such a smorgasbord of slimy grunge that to call the movie gross wouldn't do it justice -- it's downright sticky.
    The film delivers with enough consistency to warrant a qualified recommendation for those seeking a few extra scares at this time of the year.
  3. I don't know if Nispel and Scott Kosar, who make their feature film debuts here, are the worst director and writer in the world, though they might well represent the United States if anyone holds a competition. I do know they deliver a total of zero laughs, scares or surprises in this remake of the infamously creepy 1974 picture.