5.1

1. Aug 24, 2014
    I loved this film. Need to see it again as soon as possible. (Didn't write a review right after seeing it, so need to re-watch and re-phrase what it says here now...)

I never finished Dumas' books. Back then, I got bored. I might try again, one day, but I have seen many of the previous Musketeer films and some of them I liked (Man In The Iron Mask), yet most I disliked. This one pretty much shoots past all the others into infinite glory of amazing!

The three famous musketeers - Athos (resonant-voiced Matthew Macfayden), Aramis (pretty, charming and wonderful Luke Evans) and Porthos (strong, loud, and endlessly amusing) - worked extremely well together. I feared for young D'Artagnan (Logan Lerman, whom I really liked in "Gamer"), but it would seem my worries were baseless; he wasn't overly annoying. Watching D'Artagnan fight, agile and fast, was one of the most entertaining things of all. Even the hair started to look good, which it did not in the promo pictures. The four of them had awesome chemistry, and when the going got tough and the plot gave way for action, it was a shame, really, to lose that perfectly tuned edge.

Then the bad guys... Milla Jovovich as Milady de Winter was disappointing, and a bit useless too, but she did her part to pull things together. Mads Mikkelsen as Rochefort did not get much to go on, but he did it pretty well. Orlando Bloom as Duke of Buckingham was... awesome in his own way. I would have liked to see more of him. However, I enjoyed every second of seeing Orlando on screen.

King Louis, his pretty queen, their problems, and Constance the maid-in-waiting, were pretty much pointless characters. The loyal servant of the musketeers, Planchet, pretty much fell into the same hole with them. They should have all been dropped to give Richelieu more room to plot and act.

The action was quite good, with slow-motion highlighting the best moments. The special effects were awesome, and even the war-machines - flying ships - were not that far off (well, I still find a problem or two with them, knowing how heavy the wood and weaponry must be, but let us skip that to enjoy the ride).

All in all one of the best movies of the year. Go to see this if you want to enjoy a bit of fun, and don't bring your magnifying glass to stare at every inaccuracy. If you let it go, you're bound to enjoy this - whether it stays true to the original material or not. We've seen Musketeers on big screen so many times I think it was a high time for them to spice it up a bit.
  2. Apr 6, 2013
    A very enjoyable, if somewhat flawed action movie from director Paul W.S. Anderson of the Resident Evil series. Much like the Resident Evil series the action is bombastic and fun. The plot is interesting and the characters are likable. I really wasn't expecting much from this movie but it really surprised me. Just like some of my favorite action movies it also includes healthy doses ofA very enjoyable, if somewhat flawed action movie from director Paul W.S. Anderson of the Resident Evil series. Much like the Resident Evil series the action is bombastic and fun. The plot is interesting and the characters are likable. I really wasn't expecting much from this movie but it really surprised me. Just like some of my favorite action movies it also includes healthy doses of comedy mixed in. All in all I was very impressed with The Three Musketeers and don't have much to complain about except for its slow start. Expand
  3. Mar 17, 2013
    I had high hopes from it. Apart from a few funny scenes, the movie fell apart. The plot was extremely ridiculous. Very disappointing. They chose to go for cheap gimmickry instead of real substance. The CGI alone couldn't hold the movie together.
  4. Feb 4, 2013
    The actors are all into their characters and they do a fine job throughout. The production values, the sets, locations, costumes are all great. Unfortunately, the script was sub par. I wish the story would have held my attention more. Disappointing.
  5. Jan 12, 2013
    The Three Musketeers was a good bit of fun. I thought the movie had plenty of moments in which we can be thrilled by the action scenes and it had some very good uses of 3D. It is unusual and despite following the original story, it had a unique sense to it (With the plot changes etc.) Some moments felt quite rushed and unrealistic and it didn't deliver as well as the classic MusketeersThe Three Musketeers was a good bit of fun. I thought the movie had plenty of moments in which we can be thrilled by the action scenes and it had some very good uses of 3D. It is unusual and despite following the original story, it had a unique sense to it (With the plot changes etc.) Some moments felt quite rushed and unrealistic and it didn't deliver as well as the classic Musketeers movie, but nevertheless it is quite enjoyable. Expand
  6. Oct 8, 2012
    This film stinks. Typical Hollywood lack of imagination, lack of grasp on the wonderful English language, waste of talent and stupid, childish ideas and effects. I wouldn't wipe my bum with it.
  7. Sep 9, 2012
    This movie? Well, let's say there was only ONE scene I liked the most. The rest was bunch of stories, characters, plots, flying ships and sword fighting that really, REALLY gets you dizzy and makes you skip the movie to its crappy end. I really went with too much expectations for this movie, and that's an error I did. This movie truly sucks.
  8. Jul 28, 2012
    This was a fairly decent action movie, the cast was pretty ok and the overall story holds together. Granted some of the action scenes were pretty ridiculous and there were some plot holes. All in all it was an ok movie to see on a DVD however I am glad I didn't go to the cinema to see that one. Just to recap, as an action movie it's not that bad, go rent it if you enjoy simple action and aThis was a fairly decent action movie, the cast was pretty ok and the overall story holds together. Granted some of the action scenes were pretty ridiculous and there were some plot holes. All in all it was an ok movie to see on a DVD however I am glad I didn't go to the cinema to see that one. Just to recap, as an action movie it's not that bad, go rent it if you enjoy simple action and a lot of combat in your movies. Expand
  9. Jun 13, 2012
    Given that there are multiple prior versions to this film, on the plus side I can say that the set design, wardrobe, special effects and choreography are all fair improvements. The casting was excellent as well except for the lead playing D'Artagnan whose bravado fell short of the target alongside his acting chops, or lack thereof. On the down side - stealing lines from several other filmsGiven that there are multiple prior versions to this film, on the plus side I can say that the set design, wardrobe, special effects and choreography are all fair improvements. The casting was excellent as well except for the lead playing D'Artagnan whose bravado fell short of the target alongside his acting chops, or lack thereof. On the down side - stealing lines from several other films that include The Princess Bride as well as Disney's version (with Chris O'Donnell) of The Three Musketeers doesn't help the poorly scripted dialogue. Fortunately for the writers, the remaining strong cast of actors/actresses manage to make up for the lack of creativity and eloquence. Another negative is the lack of artistic liberty taken from the original story as well as the acceptable, but boring and antiquated soundtrack. Never the less I feel that this movie definitely deserves a look for those who enjoy films with swordplay and/or quasi-fictional period pieces. Expand
  10. Jun 1, 2012
    Oh dear how could they ruin the classic story like this... Airships with multi-cannons? seriously? this film could have been pretty decent but they filled it with too much frills and steam-punk nonsense that the story just evaporated to nothing. This is exactly how I'd expect a chav to view a classic book.
  11. May 28, 2012
    I was really dissapointed that this got a bad response :( I thought it was great!! The actors were awesome, and Porthos had a great scrips :) it was well funny with a bit of non traditional humour. The effects and ideas were brill, and i enjoy seeing another groups take on one of the classic tales. It really annoys me when all those people go to all that work for years sometimes, and getI was really dissapointed that this got a bad response :( I thought it was great!! The actors were awesome, and Porthos had a great scrips :) it was well funny with a bit of non traditional humour. The effects and ideas were brill, and i enjoy seeing another groups take on one of the classic tales. It really annoys me when all those people go to all that work for years sometimes, and get nothing but bad critisism for their hard work.

Therefor, i applaude you. Thanks for a great film!
  12. May 21, 2012
    That's food to pig ! With a poor and totally unhistorical story, a bad actors game and a lot of dumb stuff like "balloons fighting in the sky" or failings special effects. Don't loose your time in watching it.
  13. May 20, 2012
    This Movie was so bad, that now, while i'm trying to write a review for it, I cannot for the life of me, remember one single moment of the movie, it's plot or it's action sequences. Was it a comedy? was it an action movie? was there even drama? Fail....
  14. Apr 28, 2012
    The Three Musketeers is not a good movie; it's historically incorrect and poorly written. But it is good fun, especcially if you are into **** and ridiculous adventure films that are in 3D.
  15. Mar 25, 2012
    I was looking forward to this movie however I thought it was a mediocre version of the 1993 version. I was mildly entertained. It lacked humor. The action was ok the visuals were very good although a little to computerized for my taste.
  16. Mar 22, 2012
    Ah, come now all you reviewers who low scored this movie. M. Dumas would only have recognized the skeleton of his story but there was a lot to like, and even admire. Christoph Waltz was wonderful as Richelieu, Orlando Bloom surprisingly grown up, Ray Stevenson horribly underused, Matthew McFayden almost did a great job and the special effects were superb. The horse was lovely and theAh, come now all you reviewers who low scored this movie. M. Dumas would only have recognized the skeleton of his story but there was a lot to like, and even admire. Christoph Waltz was wonderful as Richelieu, Orlando Bloom surprisingly grown up, Ray Stevenson horribly underused, Matthew McFayden almost did a great job and the special effects were superb. The horse was lovely and the derring-do prettily done. The only really sour notes were the casting of some callow American kid as D'Artagnan ( please!) and this introduction of a bumbling manservant who's 'funnies' were just out of place. Expand
  17. Mar 10, 2012
    The movie is ok. Of course it's not for aesthetes who enjoy the smell of their own farts. But it's fun. Not 10 fun, may be, but definitely 8. Don't believe anything bad about this movie.
  18. Feb 20, 2012
    Paul W. S. Anderson's adaption of The Three Musketeers may amuse u with the Views of France and Effects but with a worst script it will wast ur time as well. Anderson's Direction was good in those fight scenes but there was so many things he could have done. The story didn't have much Musketeers going on and it was covered with some ridiculous characters and theirs silly behaviors ..Paul W. S. Anderson's adaption of The Three Musketeers may amuse u with the Views of France and Effects but with a worst script it will wast ur time as well. Anderson's Direction was good in those fight scenes but there was so many things he could have done. The story didn't have much Musketeers going on and it was covered with some ridiculous characters and theirs silly behaviors .. Matthew Macfadyen. Ray Stevenson and Luke Evans was good but Matthew seemed a bit of . Logan Lerman did better then i thought as D'Artagnan but there were more actors who could be a lot better. Milla Jovovich was not best for her role but she did good & as well as Bloom. The king & Queen part was the wost . overall The Three Musketeers is a very weak movie with some great views and Sword Fighting .
    [Started with a score of 70% ,Midway was 50 and ended with a score of 15 [in the scale of 100]
  19. Feb 18, 2012
    With a main protagonist that is as irritating to watch as the main "story" in the movie makes this a movie that will irritate you in to a blistering headache. Its 1 hour 40 minutes of eyecandy with lots of "kung-fu" stunts, exploding, shooting and no context. Even if i did enjoy the characters of the Three musketeers in this movie and i thought the costume design and enviornments wereWith a main protagonist that is as irritating to watch as the main "story" in the movie makes this a movie that will irritate you in to a blistering headache. Its 1 hour 40 minutes of eyecandy with lots of "kung-fu" stunts, exploding, shooting and no context. Even if i did enjoy the characters of the Three musketeers in this movie and i thought the costume design and enviornments were outstanding, that does not help this movie from beeing a total trainwreck. Made for an american audience or prepubesant teenagers that are easily distracted by veluptous women and loud explosions. Expand
  20. Feb 11, 2012
    The Three Musketeers is a good movie that brings a good story to see the simple fact of bringing good actors and actors who are beginning to be recognized now that is Logan Lerman. The only bad detail are some action scenes that are bad planned
  21. Feb 3, 2012
    It's really not as bad as some are concluding. It's actually quite fun if you suspend association with the Dumas classic and imagine dipping into Terry Gilliam territory, with its exotic airships and a crazy ride loaded with swashbuckling action, including a terrific final duel on top of a Parisian cathedral.
  22. Dec 13, 2011
    This film is just terrible. Jesus why they made this.................................
  23. Nov 18, 2011
    Some of the visual effects are very pretty, but everything about this movie is otherwise a little "meh-". Actors and acting just a bit off,dialogue a little tedious, story treatment a bit lame. This is a classic example of a movie that could have been great, but chose a gentleman's C.
  24. Nov 16, 2011
    im nust seeing this moviea couple week agoo..
    i think this movie much funny and amusing..

but need more action scene..
    the character on thos movie are unique..

each character has a different background..
  25. Nov 11, 2011
    What do you get when you get decent actors and an awful script, along with a mediocre director who doesn't even need to direct these kind of movies?

This flop.
  26. Nov 11, 2011
    There are very few movies I have considered walking out on, this was one of them. If you muted the movie it would be a huge improvement. In fact you could probably play the sound from the previous 3 Musketeers movie and it would work out even better. I'm pretty sure the "writers" made this movies purely by copy pastng lines from other movies... what a beating, orlando bloom needs to stickThere are very few movies I have considered walking out on, this was one of them. If you muted the movie it would be a huge improvement. In fact you could probably play the sound from the previous 3 Musketeers movie and it would work out even better. I'm pretty sure the "writers" made this movies purely by copy pastng lines from other movies... what a beating, orlando bloom needs to stick to his pointy ears. Expand
  27. Nov 10, 2011
    I dont know why this movie has such low ratings. I liked it, if you are expecting something from this movie like following the classical Three Musketeers then you shouldnt watch this. But if you want some entertainment you should watch this movie.
  28. Nov 3, 2011
    There are plenty of GOOD family films out there. Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and 3 are perfect examples of how movies appeal to both kids and adults. How this film was made I have no clue. You may say "It's for kids!" Well, the only ones who might enjoy it are babies, who don't even know what it's about anyways. For the kids who like it, great, but the kids I was babysitting for (ages 5, 9)There are plenty of GOOD family films out there. Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and 3 are perfect examples of how movies appeal to both kids and adults. How this film was made I have no clue. You may say "It's for kids!" Well, the only ones who might enjoy it are babies, who don't even know what it's about anyways. For the kids who like it, great, but the kids I was babysitting for (ages 5, 9) hated it. If you go to see it, bring a book and a flash light and hide in the corner so you can read, or bring a blanket and sleep. Or don't go see it at all. D- Expand
  29. Nov 1, 2011
    I honestly wasn't sure what to think or say about this film. T3M is a stupid, historically incorrect, poorly acted and utterly ridiculous. But I had fun watching it and it was rather entertaining.
  30. Oct 31, 2011
    Non serious adaptation of the classic three musketeers tale as if the only goal of the movie is to fully exploit 3D effects. Acting is just to cash, over-exagerated personal fight power and intelligence of the three musketeers, under-estimation of the enemies as if they are dummies. Characters are drawn as if it is a satiric or kiddy movie. Anyhow, perfect 3D, that 's the onlyNon serious adaptation of the classic three musketeers tale as if the only goal of the movie is to fully exploit 3D effects. Acting is just to cash, over-exagerated personal fight power and intelligence of the three musketeers, under-estimation of the enemies as if they are dummies. Characters are drawn as if it is a satiric or kiddy movie. Anyhow, perfect 3D, that 's the only entertainment, and it is worth it. Expand
  31. Oct 31, 2011
    i think this movie's rather interesting, 'cause it didn't use the old-fashioned ideas. this movie's full with creativity and imagination. i love it.
  32. Oct 29, 2011
    Disappointment to fans of the original Musketeers movie. Not the least bit enthralling. Indubitably a TV movie. Lost meaning of 'One for all and all for one'.
  33. Oct 29, 2011
    It's a movie you want to skip.The story is shallow and plain boring. They succeed in making the characters unique though, but none stands out, some are even ridiculous. Plot-changes are present, but never realy shock you. Avoid if possible, unless your dvd-player broke and you've seen all other movies in the cinema.
  34. Oct 27, 2011
    The famous, familiar saying of â
  35. Oct 27, 2011
    Although the film was very negatively received by many critics, I'd definitely have to disagree. It was action-packed, fast-paced, kept you on the edge of your seat, and thrilling. I think the real reason that it isn't getting great box office numbers, is the lack of marketing, not the lack of storylines or acting abilities. Orlando Bloom and Milla Jovich delivered a solid performance, asAlthough the film was very negatively received by many critics, I'd definitely have to disagree. It was action-packed, fast-paced, kept you on the edge of your seat, and thrilling. I think the real reason that it isn't getting great box office numbers, is the lack of marketing, not the lack of storylines or acting abilities. Orlando Bloom and Milla Jovich delivered a solid performance, as expected, but the real star for me was Logan Lerman. AMAZING. I am a fan of his of course, but still, he blew me away with his portrayal of d'Artagan. Overall, great movie definitely worth seeing! Expand
  36. Oct 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another Three Musketeers movie. The producers were having a brainstorming session one day and one of them jokingly said, â Expand
  37. Oct 25, 2011
    A horrible plot that you have to watch half the movie before it even starts. The dialog is is close to awkward with short "trying to be cool" lines. The acting is from bad to average and you see way to little off the only good actor Mads Mikkelsen.
    I sat trough the whole movie just begging for it to end.

DON'T waist your money to go see it!
  38. Oct 24, 2011
    It is Sherlock Holmes meets Pirates of the Caribbean, just worse. Honestly there is very little to recommend about this film. multiple times during the film I found myself wishing it was actually either of the films it emulates so poorly. Even the star power present in the villains isn't allowed to show through, falling flat and dull time and time again. It goes without saying that yourIt is Sherlock Holmes meets Pirates of the Caribbean, just worse. Honestly there is very little to recommend about this film. multiple times during the film I found myself wishing it was actually either of the films it emulates so poorly. Even the star power present in the villains isn't allowed to show through, falling flat and dull time and time again. It goes without saying that your money would be better spend elsewhere. Expand
  39. Oct 24, 2011
    The Three Musketeers 3D: Fantastic, funny, entertaining, new ideas, really cool looking fights, great cast, and great 3D for all the palace interiors. You do not have to go there to visit the palace; you are there back in time. Again, good idea for the entire film to be in 3D. I am waiting for a Sequel. If you do not like it go and see a horror movie with your kidsâ
  40. Oct 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's entertaining but not that great and also it has references to modern songs like "boys will be boys" and not very realistic historical references Expand
  41. Oct 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Three Musketeers is slightly above average. I saw the 2-D version and figure that the 3-D version would have been worth it for the fights and some of the creative shots. The special effects and the few "big name" actors were really what helped this movie pass. The execution of the plot was fairly mechanical, and whatever love story there was really felt just kind of tacked on for standard stakes raising purposes. That said, this movie has one of the most spectacular (though not too dramatic) impaling scenes I've seen yet. And what happened after the false ending is pretty reminiscent of what happened after Paul and Mila's 3-D adventure from last year. Just wait for rental if all you care to see is the 2-D version. Expand
  42. Oct 21, 2011
    This film stinks worse than the Three Musketeers bar I dropped in my toilet this morning! They should have titled it â
  43. Oct 21, 2011
    Skip-it - At first I was wondering if the marketers at Summit Entertainment were purposely not mentioning Orlando Bloom, Milla Jovovich, and Christoph Waltz's names in the trailer because they were no longer box office attracting names (which was shocking to me), but now I presume those three stars did everything they could to disassociate themselves from this god-awful re-telling ofSkip-it - At first I was wondering if the marketers at Summit Entertainment were purposely not mentioning Orlando Bloom, Milla Jovovich, and Christoph Waltz's names in the trailer because they were no longer box office attracting names (which was shocking to me), but now I presume those three stars did everything they could to disassociate themselves from this god-awful re-telling of Alexandre Dumas' classic action-adventure tale. Expand
  44. Oct 21, 2011
    '' The Three Musketeers '' is like a weird combination of '' Pirates of the Caribbean '' and '' Sherlock Holmes '' (2009). It has that same kind of style. Everything was rubbish. The actors looked ridiculous. Logan Lerman (as D'Artagnan) doesn't looked good with long hair. I wish that Orlando Bloom was given more screen time. Yet, I didn't really cared about his character. At one point, I'' The Three Musketeers '' is like a weird combination of '' Pirates of the Caribbean '' and '' Sherlock Holmes '' (2009). It has that same kind of style. Everything was rubbish. The actors looked ridiculous. Logan Lerman (as D'Artagnan) doesn't looked good with long hair. I wish that Orlando Bloom was given more screen time. Yet, I didn't really cared about his character. At one point, I completely forgotten about him, until he showed up again. Milla Jovovich's character (Milady de Winter) was annoying. This is a very average movie in my opinion, because there are a lot of bad and good elements. There's almost no boring parts whatsoever. None-stop action, epic sword fights, great escapes. I though that the boats in the air were cool. But the dialogue is mediocre, the characters were disappointing, the story is cliche. I don't feel giving this movie a higher rating just because of the action. In general, it's actually an enjoyable movie, if you ignore the bad aspects that I mentioned. It depends how you visualise the film. Expand
  45. Oct 21, 2011
    Ok so the storyline of this movie was very mediocre the writer sucked,but if you dont look at the whole picture more toward the action and the actors it becomes pretty awesome. Logan Lermans lover on the movie had no personality whatsoever but besides that its an enjoyable night out!
  46. Oct 21, 2011
    Decepcionante pelicula, todo es demasiado rocambolesco y poco creible. Las actuaciones pobres asi como su guion en general. Una pelicula mala muy mala sin ningun tipo de arte. ESTO NO ES CINE

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Oct 26, 2011
    Still, once you accept Paul W.S. Anderson's entirely unnecessary adaptation on its own terms (nonsensical, underachieving), it has its limited charms, which include a snigger-inducing alphabet soup of accents, a standout rooftop swordfight, and British comedian James Corden as the Musketeers' put-upon manservant.
  2. Reviewed by: Keith Staskiewicz
    Oct 26, 2011
    It floats, but it's mainly filled with hot air.
  3. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Oct 26, 2011
    This is a once-in-a-lifetime fiasco, an epic fail like none we have seen this year, a bad idea by a very bad director and a career-crippling credit for all concerned. You don't want to miss it.