The Time Traveler's Wife

8.0

1. Dec 18, 2010
    Though it does not quite live up to the book, The Time Traveller's Wife is a heartfelt and emotional movie. Sadly lacking the feeling of Henry and Clare's deep relationship that the book conveys it is still a brilliant movie. Those parts that were missed did not leave gaping holes in the plot. It is an incredibly moving film and unless you have a heart of stone you will be crying your eyesThough it does not quite live up to the book, The Time Traveller's Wife is a heartfelt and emotional movie. Sadly lacking the feeling of Henry and Clare's deep relationship that the book conveys it is still a brilliant movie. Those parts that were missed did not leave gaping holes in the plot. It is an incredibly moving film and unless you have a heart of stone you will be crying your eyes out the whole way through. Expand
  2. MikeD.
    Aug 15, 2009
    Reviewers who focus on the time travel totally miss the point of the movie. Its about the struggles of a woman when the man she loves can't give himself to her completely, but, she realizes, what he can give is enough. Amy McAdam plays that role very well. From the male side, it is about not wanting to be able to be there for the ones you love, and that part is told poignantly as Reviewers who focus on the time travel totally miss the point of the movie. Its about the struggles of a woman when the man she loves can't give himself to her completely, but, she realizes, what he can give is enough. Amy McAdam plays that role very well. From the male side, it is about not wanting to be able to be there for the ones you love, and that part is told poignantly as well. At the end, it is moving and effective if you can just accept the time travel as a dramatic device and not try to analyze it. Expand
  3. CastorT.
    Aug 16, 2009
    Boasting terrific performances and chemistry from Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana, the Time Traveler's Wife has some flaws but is a charming, endearing and bittersweet romantic drama nonetheless.
  4. W.B.Winn
    Aug 15, 2009
    Some reviewers are getting too hung up on the illogical paradoxes of time travel and the supposedly absurd premise. At it's core, this isn't a movie about time travel but a movie about relationships and overcoming unique challenges. Viewed from this angle it succeeds, in my humble opinion.
  5. SarahH
    Aug 19, 2009
    Sure- it's far fetched, but Rachel McAdams is (as always) amazing and Bana is surprisingly right for his role. I cried my way through reading the book, and the movie brought me to tears throughout most of the ending. It might not be an award winner, but it is still a solid, tragic romance, and I am sucker for those!
  6. KielM.
    Oct 11, 2009
    I really enjoyed this movie, but I did wonder if I would have enjoyed it if I had not already read the book. Although the movie omits important elements from the book, I thought it did a good job of focusing and the main story line from the book. For me the great love story overcame the questionable science.
  7. WinstonL.
    Nov 30, 2009
    Despite the reviews, McAdams and Bana are on Oscar-watch.
  8. AdamC.
    Sep 17, 2009
    This movie had a really likable cast. Even though the storyline was a little confusing, it was heart warming and funny at needed times. However, the trailer does do the movie justice being one of the best trailers ive seen in a while.
  9. Mar 23, 2011
    Considering I rented this film more for my wife than for myself, ironically it was I that enjoyed this film more. My wife had a relatively fair criticism that this film is a little trite. However I would add that it has a certain charm because of this, and it is trite at the beginning of the film, and much less so by the end. Personally the first reason I enjoyed this film was that the twoConsidering I rented this film more for my wife than for myself, ironically it was I that enjoyed this film more. My wife had a relatively fair criticism that this film is a little trite. However I would add that it has a certain charm because of this, and it is trite at the beginning of the film, and much less so by the end. Personally the first reason I enjoyed this film was that the two main characters actually do have a believable chemistry. Too often I have watched (Hollywood) films in which the lead couple have absolutory zero believability as a couple. Secondly, this film definitely throws you into the story straight away, hooking me with the central premise of a boy (and then a man) time travelling who cannot control what happens to him.

Third. I have now actually seen a film in which I liked Eric Bana. To be honest I thought he was a bit crappy until this, but he plays the role well, especially with the potential of some of the material to be somewhat paedophilic (let your mind boggle, and I hope that isnâ
  10. Ssmith
    Feb 3, 2010
    I loved this movie; the beautiful direction, the acting, the story.
  11. AaronM
    Aug 20, 2009
    People who have read the book will forgive all the things the movie doesn't go into detail explaining, and will love the movie for what it really is - a heartfelt and enduring story of a woman who is destined to love a troubled guy who time travels. So simply put, read the book first and love the movie or don't.
  12. S.H.
    Aug 18, 2009
    Fresh new story that keeps you locked in until the end... I haven't had to fight tears at a movie since Braveheart.
  13. fantasy
    Aug 30, 2009
    This is a feel good movie with no beginning and no end. You only hope some heads or tails can be made of the time traveling but in the end it is simply a love story about blind love and caring. There was so much more that coud have been explained but it is the same scene repeated forever.
  14. LindaM.
    Aug 15, 2009
    A touching tale of the power of love that has no expiration date and the paradoxes of time travel.
  15. JimS.
    Aug 19, 2009
    I really liked the movie. It's far from perfect but it is likable nonetheless.
  16. DonnaL.
    Aug 15, 2009
    It is possible to abandon reason and enjoy this film. The acting supports the effort.
  17. ElisaH.
    Aug 16, 2009
    I was concerned that it was going to be very difficult to follow the book. However, they have done a good job at capturing most of the important facts.
  18. MikeW
    Aug 19, 2009
    I'm into sci-fi and time travel stories so I liked this movie. My wife isn't and didn't. So whether you enjoy this movie depends on your orientation.
  19. vinipushka010
    Aug 22, 2009
    True, it's probably a movie you'd take your girfriend/s to, but it's a bit more than just that. You may find you walk away happy you gave it a chance.
  20. Jan 4, 2015
    This is a very enjoyable movie indeed that I can find no faults in it at all, excellent direction and the cast are nothing short of brillant. There was no point in the movie where I was bored, the story and characters grabbed me and refused to let go. As someone who is not a fan of romance films I was surprised to have enjoyed this movie as much as I did and have watched it several times.This is a very enjoyable movie indeed that I can find no faults in it at all, excellent direction and the cast are nothing short of brillant. There was no point in the movie where I was bored, the story and characters grabbed me and refused to let go. As someone who is not a fan of romance films I was surprised to have enjoyed this movie as much as I did and have watched it several times. I would recommend this film to anyone interested in scifi/drama or romance movies. Expand
  21. iCC
    Mar 23, 2015
    The movie is not exactly a masterpiece, but it has a really creative and a non-predictable plot... really good actors and a nice story... is like one of those movies you want to see when you are relaxed, I really recommend it

1. German-born director Robert Schwentke ("Flightplan") keep things moving briskly enough so that the leaps in time mostly obscure the leaps in logic.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    May not make a lick of sense, but it does make for fairly irresistible nonsense.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    Will disappoint anyone looking for transport from a movie--being a time traveler's wife, it turns out, is mostly a drag.