The Time Traveler's Wife

8.0

1. iCC
    Mar 23, 2015
    The movie is not exactly a masterpiece, but it has a really creative and a non-predictable plot... really good actors and a nice story... is like one of those movies you want to see when you are relaxed, I really recommend it
  2. Jan 4, 2015
    This is a very enjoyable movie indeed that I can find no faults in it at all, excellent direction and the cast are nothing short of brillant. There was no point in the movie where I was bored, the story and characters grabbed me and refused to let go. As someone who is not a fan of romance films I was surprised to have enjoyed this movie as much as I did and have watched it several times.This is a very enjoyable movie indeed that I can find no faults in it at all, excellent direction and the cast are nothing short of brillant. There was no point in the movie where I was bored, the story and characters grabbed me and refused to let go. As someone who is not a fan of romance films I was surprised to have enjoyed this movie as much as I did and have watched it several times. I would recommend this film to anyone interested in scifi/drama or romance movies. Expand
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    This movie was terrible in comparison to the book. The book was so much more romantic. They cut the best parts out of the story, in regards to the movie. The details were all off also, especially about the daughter and the way she was supposed to look like... Urgh what a disappointment.
  4. Aug 25, 2012
    I do not normally like soppy films but this one had an interesting premise to it and actually posed some extremely fascinating morale dilemmas. I enjoyed Eric Bana's performance while Rachel McAdams gave a decent account of herself.
  5. Mar 23, 2011
    Considering I rented this film more for my wife than for myself, ironically it was I that enjoyed this film more. My wife had a relatively fair criticism that this film is a little trite. However I would add that it has a certain charm because of this, and it is trite at the beginning of the film, and much less so by the end. Personally the first reason I enjoyed this film was that the twoConsidering I rented this film more for my wife than for myself, ironically it was I that enjoyed this film more. My wife had a relatively fair criticism that this film is a little trite. However I would add that it has a certain charm because of this, and it is trite at the beginning of the film, and much less so by the end. Personally the first reason I enjoyed this film was that the two main characters actually do have a believable chemistry. Too often I have watched (Hollywood) films in which the lead couple have absolutory zero believability as a couple. Secondly, this film definitely throws you into the story straight away, hooking me with the central premise of a boy (and then a man) time travelling who cannot control what happens to him.

Third. I have now actually seen a film in which I liked Eric Bana. To be honest I thought he was a bit crappy until this, but he plays the role well, especially with the potential of some of the material to be somewhat paedophilic (let your mind boggle, and I hope that isnâ
  6. Dec 18, 2010
    Though it does not quite live up to the book, The Time Traveller's Wife is a heartfelt and emotional movie. Sadly lacking the feeling of Henry and Clare's deep relationship that the book conveys it is still a brilliant movie. Those parts that were missed did not leave gaping holes in the plot. It is an incredibly moving film and unless you have a heart of stone you will be crying your eyesThough it does not quite live up to the book, The Time Traveller's Wife is a heartfelt and emotional movie. Sadly lacking the feeling of Henry and Clare's deep relationship that the book conveys it is still a brilliant movie. Those parts that were missed did not leave gaping holes in the plot. It is an incredibly moving film and unless you have a heart of stone you will be crying your eyes out the whole way through. Expand
  7. Ssmith
    Feb 3, 2010
    I loved this movie; the beautiful direction, the acting, the story.
  8. NutterJr.
    Jan 10, 2010
    The chemistry of the actors makes the film quite tender and it gets more emotional towards the end of the film. But there are a number of confusing time-travel related paradoxes and contradictions that sometime remove the viewer from the essence of the film: a love story that transcends across time. And talking about such stories, my favourite love story that transcends across time is the The chemistry of the actors makes the film quite tender and it gets more emotional towards the end of the film. But there are a number of confusing time-travel related paradoxes and contradictions that sometime remove the viewer from the essence of the film: a love story that transcends across time. And talking about such stories, my favourite love story that transcends across time is the "The Fountain". Expand
  9. WinstonL.
    Nov 30, 2009
    Despite the reviews, McAdams and Bana are on Oscar-watch.
  10. KielM.
    Oct 11, 2009
    I really enjoyed this movie, but I did wonder if I would have enjoyed it if I had not already read the book. Although the movie omits important elements from the book, I thought it did a good job of focusing and the main story line from the book. For me the great love story overcame the questionable science.
  11. AdamC.
    Sep 17, 2009
    This movie had a really likable cast. Even though the storyline was a little confusing, it was heart warming and funny at needed times. However, the trailer does do the movie justice being one of the best trailers ive seen in a while.
  12. BillyS
    Sep 11, 2009
    Eric Bana travels back and forth from time to time in his life over and over and over again, I'd like to travel back to right before I paid for the ticket! Seriously.
  13. kgm
    Sep 3, 2009
    Who wouldn
  14. fantasy
    Aug 30, 2009
    This is a feel good movie with no beginning and no end. You only hope some heads or tails can be made of the time traveling but in the end it is simply a love story about blind love and caring. There was so much more that coud have been explained but it is the same scene repeated forever.
  15. HaileyL
    Aug 26, 2009
    I'll admit right off the bat that I am biased because I read and loved the book 'The Time Traveler's Wife'. So, going into the movie my expectations were high. And, my expectations were crushed without remorse by this horrid film. The only saving grace was Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana as lead characters. Both fabulous actors, bound to draw attention. However, the film I'll admit right off the bat that I am biased because I read and loved the book 'The Time Traveler's Wife'. So, going into the movie my expectations were high. And, my expectations were crushed without remorse by this horrid film. The only saving grace was Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana as lead characters. Both fabulous actors, bound to draw attention. However, the film lacked character depth and development. I felt no connection with the love story that was supposed to be unfolding before my eyes. And, to my complete dismay, the best parts of the book were left out or completely changed! The screenwriters took a beautifully written novel, and trashed every wonderful thing about it. Too bad. My recommendation: Save your money. Expand
  16. JohnE.
    Aug 23, 2009
    I enjoy good movies weather they are chick flicks or horror films. Since this was based upon a book I came in with high hopes, but sadly enough this film made absolutely no sense at all. It was purposefully manipulative to your emotions, and had nothing to really bight your teeth into. This film made me very angry, why would anyone make this movie it sucks. In the sea of good romantic I enjoy good movies weather they are chick flicks or horror films. Since this was based upon a book I came in with high hopes, but sadly enough this film made absolutely no sense at all. It was purposefully manipulative to your emotions, and had nothing to really bight your teeth into. This film made me very angry, why would anyone make this movie it sucks. In the sea of good romantic movies out there this one is a rock at the bottom of the Marianas trench. Expand
  17. vinipushka010
    Aug 22, 2009
    True, it's probably a movie you'd take your girfriend/s to, but it's a bit more than just that. You may find you walk away happy you gave it a chance.
  18. AaronM
    Aug 20, 2009
    People who have read the book will forgive all the things the movie doesn't go into detail explaining, and will love the movie for what it really is - a heartfelt and enduring story of a woman who is destined to love a troubled guy who time travels. So simply put, read the book first and love the movie or don't.
  19. MikeW
    Aug 19, 2009
    I'm into sci-fi and time travel stories so I liked this movie. My wife isn't and didn't. So whether you enjoy this movie depends on your orientation.
  20. JimS.
    Aug 19, 2009
    I really liked the movie. It's far from perfect but it is likable nonetheless.
  21. SarahH
    Aug 19, 2009
    Sure- it's far fetched, but Rachel McAdams is (as always) amazing and Bana is surprisingly right for his role. I cried my way through reading the book, and the movie brought me to tears throughout most of the ending. It might not be an award winner, but it is still a solid, tragic romance, and I am sucker for those!
  22. ChinaM.
    Aug 18, 2009
    This movie was so wack! The previewa make it seem like it was some lovely romantic story but in reality it was just plain confusing. I sat there waiting for Eric Bana's to die and I was going to shoot myself if I saw his ass one more time in this movie..And to top it off, he gets killed by a bullet that was meant for a deer..WOW!!! This movie was so dumb, stupid, and confusing! I do This movie was so wack! The previewa make it seem like it was some lovely romantic story but in reality it was just plain confusing. I sat there waiting for Eric Bana's to die and I was going to shoot myself if I saw his ass one more time in this movie..And to top it off, he gets killed by a bullet that was meant for a deer..WOW!!! This movie was so dumb, stupid, and confusing! I do not recommend seeing this to anyone!!! Expand
  23. TomM
    Aug 18, 2009
    This film was okay, but it lacked the emotional attachment I had with other romantic films, like The Notebook. My main problem was that Henry time traveled too much in the film and not allowing the audience to get involved in the story. McAdams is very good in her role. I really wanted to like the film, but could not embrace it.
  24. S.H.
    Aug 18, 2009
    Fresh new story that keeps you locked in until the end... I haven't had to fight tears at a movie since Braveheart.
  25. ElizabethC.
    Aug 17, 2009
    The leading actors are charming and talented, there's some good photography - but the storytelling falls limp. Of course it's a fantasy, so it's hard to criticize it for being illogical, but somehow it never makes sense for me to have the time traveler meet up with their older or younger self - several times. And the story doesn't seem to go anywhere with an intriguing The leading actors are charming and talented, there's some good photography - but the storytelling falls limp. Of course it's a fantasy, so it's hard to criticize it for being illogical, but somehow it never makes sense for me to have the time traveler meet up with their older or younger self - several times. And the story doesn't seem to go anywhere with an intriguing premise. Expand
  26. ChadS.
    Aug 17, 2009
    Lucky for young Claire, the naked man in the bushes turns out to be her one and only, and not some child rapist, like the girl's killer in Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones". The interaction between Henry(Eric Bana) and Claire's pre-pubescent self is the film's litmus test. If moviegoers aren't silently humming George Michael's "Father Figure" to themselves Lucky for young Claire, the naked man in the bushes turns out to be her one and only, and not some child rapist, like the girl's killer in Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones". The interaction between Henry(Eric Bana) and Claire's pre-pubescent self is the film's litmus test. If moviegoers aren't silently humming George Michael's "Father Figure" to themselves while the time traveler chats up the little girl, "The Time Traveler's Wife" just dodged the first bullet. (The second bullet is if Henry's wormholes seem plausible to a quantum physicist.) Bana's scenes with his future wife as a child are crucial to keeping intact the film's central theme of unconditional love. (It's a good thing Claire didn't see Jesus, or else she would have winded up a nun.) Not for one second can Henry appear to be hitting on her. Claire's future husband has to treat his pre-wife like he was looking at an old photograph in a keepsake album. To quote filmmaker Wim Wenders(and Bono), Henry has to be "faraway, so close". When he shakes Claire's hand in that meadow, it's analogous to a husband stroking some picture's surface that embodies the woman he married under a sheath of plastic. Bana has to convey that Claire's unformed state touches his heart, not his genitals. (***HEY, SPOILER ALERT***) Due to tragic circumstances, late in the film, Henry suddenly seems cruel, keeping Claire(played by the lovely Rachel McAdams) in limbo. Had Henry returned to the meadow and traumatized young Claire by jumping out of the bushes, his wife wouldn't be perpetually haunted by a "Librarian of Desire". At least the Demi Moore character in Jerry Zucker's "Ghost" found closure. But they had a kid. End of story. They're a chained melody. Expand
  27. ElisaH.
    Aug 16, 2009
    I was concerned that it was going to be very difficult to follow the book. However, they have done a good job at capturing most of the important facts.
  28. CastorT.
    Aug 16, 2009
    Boasting terrific performances and chemistry from Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana, the Time Traveler's Wife has some flaws but is a charming, endearing and bittersweet romantic drama nonetheless.
  29. W.B.Winn
    Aug 15, 2009
    Some reviewers are getting too hung up on the illogical paradoxes of time travel and the supposedly absurd premise. At it's core, this isn't a movie about time travel but a movie about relationships and overcoming unique challenges. Viewed from this angle it succeeds, in my humble opinion.

1. German-born director Robert Schwentke ("Flightplan") keep things moving briskly enough so that the leaps in time mostly obscure the leaps in logic.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    May not make a lick of sense, but it does make for fairly irresistible nonsense.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    Will disappoint anyone looking for transport from a movie--being a time traveler's wife, it turns out, is mostly a drag.