5.6

1. Jul 29, 2013
    Aubrey Plaza plays an over-achieving HS senior, who sets out to learn all about sex during the summer before college. If this sounds familiar, it's been done many times with guys, so the unoriginal twist is girls! There's every effort to be as verbally crude (sex talk) and visually gross (bodily fluids) as possible, but none of it's very funny. Bill Hader provides the only true comicAubrey Plaza plays an over-achieving HS senior, who sets out to learn all about sex during the summer before college. If this sounds familiar, it's been done many times with guys, so the unoriginal twist is girls! There's every effort to be as verbally crude (sex talk) and visually gross (bodily fluids) as possible, but none of it's very funny. Bill Hader provides the only true comic sensibility, while everyone else is just there (and about 10 years too old for their roles). The early 90s references are enjoyable, but so are a few noticeable anachronisms. There's a good-spirited energy that keeps it from being too dull, but nothing about the writing or performances is especially original or amusing. Collapse
  2. Jul 27, 2013
    If you want to see a good summertime coming-of-age movie, don't bother with this one. Instead you should see "The Way Way Back" with Steve Carell and Allison Janney, or watch the DVD of "Adventureland" with Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart. "The To Do List" has way too much bathroom humor. It relies on unfunny stuff like vomit and feces and juvenile sex stuff, which becomes boringIf you want to see a good summertime coming-of-age movie, don't bother with this one. Instead you should see "The Way Way Back" with Steve Carell and Allison Janney, or watch the DVD of "Adventureland" with Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart. "The To Do List" has way too much bathroom humor. It relies on unfunny stuff like vomit and feces and juvenile sex stuff, which becomes boring after awhile. There's nothing original or entertaining about this movie, despite the best efforts of a good cast. It's a waste of good talent. Expand
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    Stupid teenage crap. Who in their right mind can honestly say that this was a good movie. It is all about sex sex sex. Is there anything else that haunts these stupid teenager's minds.?
  4. Aug 1, 2013
    This was so awesome, and so destined to be criminally underrated. It was incredibly sex positive and also strayed from the normal, terrible rape jokes that riddle these sorts of movies. It was incredibly funny and enjoyable throughout. I wouldn't let the lackluster reviews dissuade you from going to see this. It had a great cast!!!
  5. Jun 16, 2014
    If there is one thing I learned from sex comedies is that they’re **** terrible.

The characters are so one dimensional, stereotypical, stupid and annoying. There is no character I even liked. Not even Audrey Plaza’s great performance as Brandy could even make this up. The humor had its moments but it’s very bad, awkward and awful. Story-wise is okay. The concept could have been

The humor had its moments but it’s very bad, awkward and awful.

Story-wise is okay. The concept could have been better because the concept made me interested watching this movie in the first place other than Audrey Plaza.

And the sex scenes are so uncomfortable to watch. It’s not even funny nor erotic at all. This is bad.

I can’t believe an a-list cast would even be in this terrible movie. This movie just gave me a bad taste in my mouth. Gladly, there is no bad after-taste afterwards.

If you’re into American Pie and **** then go watch it but I suggest you shouldn’t. Let me forget this movie already!
  6. Jul 31, 2013
    Aubrey Plaza does a fine job as the female lead here as she delves into a world unfamiliar to her filled with sexual conquests and party behavior. While the humor could be crude to some, it's interesting to see a girl stuck in this conundrum and how she goes about it. Bill Hader and Donald Glover were also amazing.
  7. Aug 23, 2013
    Despite working in the industry for over a decade, The To Do List is Carey’s first feature and it shows. For better and for worse, it’s clear the writer/director put a lot of heart and passion into the movie. The film successfully marries its 90s backdrop with retro hipster chic and even makes fun use of its check list premise by punctuating each of Brandy’s conquests in freeze-frameDespite working in the industry for over a decade, The To Do List is Carey’s first feature and it shows. For better and for worse, it’s clear the writer/director put a lot of heart and passion into the movie. The film successfully marries its 90s backdrop with retro hipster chic and even makes fun use of its check list premise by punctuating each of Brandy’s conquests in freeze-frame shots labeled with their respective sex acts. Still, while The To Do List throws a lot of creative ideas and jokes at the screen, only a fraction of them are essential to the larger development of the story and characters as if Carey didn’t quite nail the balance between what to include in the final film and what needed to be cut. That said, The To Do List includes plenty of ridiculous (and cringe-inducing) moments that are sure to entertain moviegoers looking for a raunchy teen comedy. The setup may not be as original as it would have been back in the time of the film’s 1993 setting but there are enough clever pop culture references and awkward comedy setups to keep the movie feeling fresh even when it covers ideas that audiences will have seen play-out onscreen before. Carey’s coming of age tale isn’t a must see, but with a strong lead and some honest insight, filmgoers who are intrigued by the premise or the assembled cast have good reason to put the movie on their own To Do List. Expand
  8. Nov 2, 2013
    This is a fairly funny very sexual coming of age comedy that at least doesn't play tame. I really appreciate comedies that just goes for it unfortunately it's just not as good as other coming of age films this year like The Way Way Back and The Kings of Summer. B-
  9. Aug 5, 2013
    Now I have to say that I had high hopes for this movie with all the name that we all love and I'm not going to take the time to list here we all have better thing to do right now. With that said I did have a few problems with this and the biggest was not the movie fault if I want to do this the best I can. First the joke never felt like there like they played out the way they did in aNow I have to say that I had high hopes for this movie with all the name that we all love and I'm not going to take the time to list here we all have better thing to do right now. With that said I did have a few problems with this and the biggest was not the movie fault if I want to do this the best I can. First the joke never felt like there like they played out the way they did in a writers room some where which is sad cause as I sat there I wanted to see them in the writers room that would have been funnier and I don't want to think that when I looking at the finished product Expand
  10. Nov 23, 2013
    This was so funny, It's Dirty and very inappropriate. I love it. Sure it may be very forgetable but the laughs kept cumming ha ha pun and is very entertainng.
  11. Dec 28, 2013
    There are a few big laughs, but the movie's tone is all over the place, and I just couldn't bring myself to root for Aubrey Plaza's unlikeable character.
  12. Mar 23, 2014
    A great vehicle for Aubrey Plaza and she did great. First time for me seeing her as a lead, would like to see more of it. . Her quirks really came out well here. Also, this is the most I've enjoyed Rachel Bilson. In anything. Ever. And Connie Britton did her bast to steal the show. Throw in nice performances from Hader, Glover and Skwiat and its quite funny. A truly underrated film.

1. Reviewed by: Emma Dibdin
    Oct 5, 2013
    There are moments of sweetness and spontaneity with her BFFs (Alia Shawkat, Sarah Steele) but not enough to fill the hole where the film’s soul should be.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Oct 5, 2013
    A few laughs.
  3. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Oct 4, 2013
    Maggie Carey, the writer and director, has plenty to say about life on the cusp of womanhood, but never quite works out a way to make her points without getting her characters to recite them verbatim.