5.6

1. Jul 29, 2013
    Aubrey Plaza plays an over-achieving HS senior, who sets out to learn all about sex during the summer before college. If this sounds familiar, it's been done many times with guys, so the unoriginal twist is girls! There's every effort to be as verbally crude (sex talk) and visually gross (bodily fluids) as possible, but none of it's very funny. Bill Hader provides the only true comicAubrey Plaza plays an over-achieving HS senior, who sets out to learn all about sex during the summer before college. If this sounds familiar, it's been done many times with guys, so the unoriginal twist is girls! There's every effort to be as verbally crude (sex talk) and visually gross (bodily fluids) as possible, but none of it's very funny. Bill Hader provides the only true comic sensibility, while everyone else is just there (and about 10 years too old for their roles). The early 90s references are enjoyable, but so are a few noticeable anachronisms. There's a good-spirited energy that keeps it from being too dull, but nothing about the writing or performances is especially original or amusing. Expand
  2. Aug 5, 2013
    Now I have to say that I had high hopes for this movie with all the name that we all love and I'm not going to take the time to list here we all have better thing to do right now. With that said I did have a few problems with this and the biggest was not the movie fault if I want to do this the best I can. First the joke never felt like there like they played out the way they did in aNow I have to say that I had high hopes for this movie with all the name that we all love and I'm not going to take the time to list here we all have better thing to do right now. With that said I did have a few problems with this and the biggest was not the movie fault if I want to do this the best I can. First the joke never felt like there like they played out the way they did in a writers room some where which is sad cause as I sat there I wanted to see them in the writers room that would have been funnier and I don't want to think that when I looking at the finished product Collapse
  3. Nov 2, 2013
    This is a fairly funny very sexual coming of age comedy that at least doesn't play tame. I really appreciate comedies that just goes for it unfortunately it's just not as good as other coming of age films this year like The Way Way Back and The Kings of Summer. B-
  4. Dec 28, 2013
    There are a few big laughs, but the movie's tone is all over the place, and I just couldn't bring myself to root for Aubrey Plaza's unlikeable character.

1. Reviewed by: Emma Dibdin
    Oct 5, 2013
    There are moments of sweetness and spontaneity with her BFFs (Alia Shawkat, Sarah Steele) but not enough to fill the hole where the film’s soul should be.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Oct 5, 2013
    A few laughs.
  3. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Oct 4, 2013
    Maggie Carey, the writer and director, has plenty to say about life on the cusp of womanhood, but never quite works out a way to make her points without getting her characters to recite them verbatim.