7.7

1. Sep 23, 2010
    Very good movie. Excellent sound, the car chase thru the Boston neighborhood is really good. The street scenes were filmed to give a sense of the neighborhood. The script was very smart, the movie well directed. The acting was very good. You never really knew for sure how the movie was going to end. All in all, my wife and I give it 3.5 out of a 4 star rating.
  2. Sep 23, 2010
    This is one best movies I have seen in years, though I did go in with modest expectations. Let's face it: Affleck has given us "Gone Baby Gone" and "Good will Hunting." But he also given us "Pearl Harbor" and "Gili."

Like "Hunting," Affleck is in his element in this movie and the writing could not be better. As a action suspense film, this script jumps off the screen seconds after the opening credits. The characters have depth but don't insist upon themselves. The feeling here is similar to Gone Baby Gone without the interruption of the ethical dilemma that movie had. It has the charm of Good Will Hunting but with a better mix of grace and grit.

There are some that will compare this film to "Heat" and that is apt. Except Heat was not as smart and tried to do too much by throwing every actor they could find into a movie with 17 plots instead of just perfecting one strong plot. This film has the intelligence to keep you guessing while allowing you to enjoy the simplicity of a scene.

The two make for a powerful movie.
  3. Sep 21, 2010
    I love this movie. My only criticism is at times the dialogue is so thick and mumbled I could not make out the words. So when you see it go to a theatre with good audio system! It could be this was intentional to give the film gritty, natural feel, I don't know. I was pleasantly surprised the lead of The Hurt Locker had co-starring role. Don Draper, aka FBI agent, at first I felt wasI love this movie. My only criticism is at times the dialogue is so thick and mumbled I could not make out the words. So when you see it go to a theatre with good audio system! It could be this was intentional to give the film gritty, natural feel, I don't know. I was pleasantly surprised the lead of The Hurt Locker had co-starring role. Don Draper, aka FBI agent, at first I felt was underwhelming, but he delivered by films end too. This is a great friggin film! Anyone who says otherwise liked Sex and the City 2. Expand
  4. Sep 21, 2010
    No offense to him as a person but other than Good Will Hunting, i find Ben Afflecks acting to be a joke. Though in this movie which he also directed, he is an intriguing character. I went into the movie thinking a wasted 6.50 on another turd flop of a movie but left with the satisfaction that it is one of the better crime dramas i have seen since The Departed.
  5. Sep 21, 2010
    This movie received a mixed response from me. I expected much more from Ben Affleck's skillful directing. Jeremy Renner, Jon Hamm, & Blake Lively seemed into their respective roles, however Affleck and Rebecca Hall were in their own little worlds. Pretty disappointing, however I liked the intelligent plot and jokes through the movie.
  6. Sep 21, 2010
    I was disappointed in this movie. Resembled Heat with Val Kilmer, but much slower. I could not get invested with the characters enough to care about them when it was needed the most. I found myself bored by the long pauses between action scenes. I understood the need for it, but the way it moved was just to slow for me.
  7. Sep 20, 2010
    Wow! What a terrific film. I was incredibly surprised. I was pretty much dragged to the theatre by my brother, and I was very happy that I got to see this. I was sitting on the edge of my seat for half of the movie! It was incredibly suspensful, and even some jokes here and there. and I really liked the ending. i would recommend this film to anyone. go see it!
  8. Sep 20, 2010
    Great movie. Exceeded my expectations. Ben Affleck is great, I like when him and Damon can use their Boston accents in flims. Jeremy Renner really surprised me. I thought he was better in The Town than he was in The Hurt Locker. I don't care how trashy Blake Lively looked, I would still kiss her face.
  9. Sep 19, 2010
    The Town is a great start to the fall movie season. Like Michael Mann did with Los Angeles in Heat, Ben Affleck has made Boston a major player in the cast.
  10. Sep 19, 2010
    While Ben Affleck has exceeded any expectations I had for him since first seeing him in Mallrats many moons ago, his better-than-average performance in "The Town" has been entirely overrated, as has the movie. I, unfortunately, had my expectations pretty high when I read the hype surrounding this movie. Unfortunately, they weren't met. "The Town" is certainly a fine film, much betterWhile Ben Affleck has exceeded any expectations I had for him since first seeing him in Mallrats many moons ago, his better-than-average performance in "The Town" has been entirely overrated, as has the movie. I, unfortunately, had my expectations pretty high when I read the hype surrounding this movie. Unfortunately, they weren't met. "The Town" is certainly a fine film, much better than most fare from Hollywood. However, the flow of the movie seems elementary with scenes and storyline elements lasting unnecessarily long. The sudden fade out that end also threw me for a loop. It was mechanically clumsy, perhaps having more to do with editing than directing, but it was a valiant effort nonetheless. Being a huge fan of Boston, having just spent a large amount of time there in the last year, it was interesting to be reminded of all the places I had visited. Also, my baseball pants did a dance when they robbed Fenway. There was significant dialogue that was so muddied in Boston dialect that it was difficult to follow. There were also unfinished storylines, inexplicable progressions and some difficulty emotionally attaching to the plight or life of the characters. Blake Lively was the biggest surprise in the smallest role as Jeremy Renner's sister and Ben Affleck's former lover. She was in the movie only a little, but had a tremendous impact and showed range I wasn't aware she had. Expand
  11. Sep 19, 2010
    At times stylish, sometimes well-acted, and mostly nicely filmed, "The Town," in the end, left me a bit flat and disappointed. What was missing? Well, I don't know for sure. I think a lack of focus contributed to the sense of incompleteness. Too many issues, some only partially resolved. Mostly I was entertained and the grainy, gritty texture of the cinematography lifted myAt times stylish, sometimes well-acted, and mostly nicely filmed, "The Town," in the end, left me a bit flat and disappointed. What was missing? Well, I don't know for sure. I think a lack of focus contributed to the sense of incompleteness. Too many issues, some only partially resolved. Mostly I was entertained and the grainy, gritty texture of the cinematography lifted my expectations for the underlying story. But instead of a tight, cohesive beginning-to-end tale of a hardened criminal trying to rise above his circumstances, the storytelling sprawled across the screen in a series of loosely connected scenes and performances that eventually, like Ben Affleck's Doug, just left. It's a credit to Affleck's somewhat surprising ability as director/actor that this stew stays together at all. Not a bad picture, at all, but the bones were there to deliver something much, much better. Expand
  12. Sep 19, 2010
    A great second outing for Ben Affleck as a director, The Town is an effective and gripping heist film, with many great performances and strong direction. The film successfully manages the difficult balance between character moments and dynamic action sequences. The performances are across the board solid, the stand out being Jeremy Renner, who I had high hopes for after The Hurt Locker,A great second outing for Ben Affleck as a director, The Town is an effective and gripping heist film, with many great performances and strong direction. The film successfully manages the difficult balance between character moments and dynamic action sequences. The performances are across the board solid, the stand out being Jeremy Renner, who I had high hopes for after The Hurt Locker, whose Jem is crass and bold, but Renner makes his brusque attitude understandable in the circumstances he lives in. Rebecca Hall also is amazing as Claire, who is the audience's entry point into the events unfolding. Hopefully this film will allow Affleck to get more work as a director, because he has definitely proven himself a promising one. Expand
  13. Sep 19, 2010
    This film shows that Ben Affleck has completed his career turnaround and it shows he belongs in the list of elite directors. In The Town, a story of a group of bank robbers, Affleck is able to show us the layouts of Boston, give us some epic action sequences, and some amazing performances from the cast. Affleck, Hall, and Renner show that they are actors with a mission and that mission isThis film shows that Ben Affleck has completed his career turnaround and it shows he belongs in the list of elite directors. In The Town, a story of a group of bank robbers, Affleck is able to show us the layouts of Boston, give us some epic action sequences, and some amazing performances from the cast. Affleck, Hall, and Renner show that they are actors with a mission and that mission is an Academy Award. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if any of them are nominated this year. Hamm is not given enough to work with and can't make his character seem appealing to anyone. Lively was a pleasant surprise and turned out a good role completely away from her Gossip Girl style. While Cooper and Postelwaithe are not n the movie for long, they milk the little time they have to churn out great performances. Overall this film will keep you thoroughly entertained and has enough substance to make a legitimate run at this year's awards. Expand
  14. Sep 18, 2010
    The Town should've been re-titled "Boston Heat," since it pays heavy tribute (I'm in a good mood, so I'll refrain from using the word rip-off) to Robert De Niro's great heist flick. But all in all, that's not such a bad thing...

Let's see if any of this sounds familiar: a crack bank robber/master thief known for his elaborate planning and cautiousness, falls in love with a woman he meets and begins to reconsider "the life." He heads up a close knit team who depend on him to get by, including one hothead/trouble maker he keeps making exceptions for. Hot on his trail is a savvy, dedicated lawman obsessed with bringing him down. The two men come face to face and pretty much issue mutual challenges to best the other. Of course, despite his odd hours and ever-present indications, the woman remains clueless for most of the movie. Ultimately, it all comes down to one final job... one that will put his teammates right and provide enough of a cushion for the man (and hopefully the woman) to start over somewhere. Bullets, blood and vengeance ensue.

I thought so.

Of course, you could do a lot worse than making a movie that's essentially Heat Lite. Affleck provides some great scenes, including the opening robbery, which moves so fast that you feel like you've been bum rushed right along with the patrons and employees of the bank. And the movie is put on the shoulders of some good actors, including Jeremy Renner ("The Hurt Locker") as Affleck's impetuous partner in crime, Chris Cooper as Affleck's incarcerated pop, Titus Welliver (LOST's Man in Black) as one of the local cops, and Pete Postlethwaite as the local boss that complicates things.

[Perhaps because he was staying so close to the Heat formula, Affleck felt the need to put a crappy actor in the lawman's role... although instead of Pacino's overacting, he instead uses a wooden Jon Hamm (I don't care what you people say. Mad Men blows and he can't do anything other than hold a smoldering cigarette). Hamm sucks the life out of almost every scene he's in - which is unfortunate, since his screen presence increases as the movie goes on.]

What bothered me most about the movie was how silly the core plot is. Even though I never bought De Niro's relationship with Amy Brenneman, at least it was born out of De Niro's growing loneliness and the fact that for all his success, it wasn't worth having if there was no one to share it with (unlike like the rest of his crew, who all had families and/or significant others). Here, Affleck's crew kidnaps one of the bank employees (Rebecca Hall's Claire Keesey) for no real reason whatsoever. While in their keep, the men feel no reason to disguise their voices or talk in whispers (she's blindfolded). And then just as inexplicably, they let her go (despite Renner's character being keen to want to kill/maim/shoot every person who so much as throws him a sideways glance).

Afraid that they may have let a key witness go scot-free, Affleck decides to tail her to find out what she knows. They end up meeting in a laundromat and, seemingly within minutes, they fall for one another. It's hard to decide what I couldn't fathom more:

- How this chick didn't know it was him (Affleck's 5 minute dissertation on why she shouldn't tell the police about a key piece of evidence and his use of acronyms only a cop or criminal would know might have tipped her off) right from the get go; - How Affleck's Mr. Cautious Planner could let himself screw up this badly; or
    - How it could take the Feds so long to put this Encyclopedia Brown-esque mystery together.

...but that's the critical side of me talking. If you asked me whether or not you should see this movie, I'd tell you yes. Because it's fast paced, it holds your interest and you really do find yourself rooting for Affleck's character in the end. Thumbs up. You won't be disappointed. More reviews at www.deconstructors.com
  15. Sep 17, 2010
    I often find myself rating a movie against my own expectations. My expectations were relatively modest for this film, but it greatly surpassed them. I expected great things from Jeremy Renner, and he delivers in a big way. He might be one of the best 2 or 3 actors out there. Ham is serviceable, but his part isn't written to be an equal partner in an adversarial relationship like McNultyI often find myself rating a movie against my own expectations. My expectations were relatively modest for this film, but it greatly surpassed them. I expected great things from Jeremy Renner, and he delivers in a big way. He might be one of the best 2 or 3 actors out there. Ham is serviceable, but his part isn't written to be an equal partner in an adversarial relationship like McNulty and Stringer Bell are in "The Wire". His part is too simplistic, but he plays it well. The only true weakness in the cast (and she's not even that bad) is Blake Lively. Rebecca Hall is one of my all-time faves, and she delivers here, too. One of our critics calls this a cross between "Heat" and "The Departed". But I felt it was more like a cross between "Heat" and "Good Will Hunting". Affleck's character pondering leaving this small corner of Boston is so similar to having to "go see about a girl", it's almost like we were back 10 years. But it's not a real problem with the film. You write what you know. The pace of the film is terrific, and you should be riveted for much of it. (Oh yes, the two fathers are tremendous in small roles.) I won't say more other than it's a very solid film. Great way to kick off the fall season. Expand
  16. Sep 17, 2010
    I read the book and although many scenes in the movie played very different from what happened in the book but I thought they did a fantastic job depicting the characters as Chuck Hogan created them in the book. In addition the film complemented the book in such a great way I think it made the story even better and the alternative ending was great. Although, I would have liked Jemâ
  17. Sep 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It takes place in the city of Charlestown, MA, where apparently there are a mass amount of bank and armor car robberies. Ben Affleck plays Doug MacRay, the leader of a crew which robs said banks and armor cars. In this team includes Jem Coughlin, played by Jeremy Renner (who has a great performance in this movie), and two others (who are pretty much no names in Hollywood), and each of them are just as bad ass as MacRay. The opening scene has the team robbing a bank, while they wear Grim Reaper-like masks, and we get introduce to our leading lady Claire Keesey, played by Rebecca Hall. The robbers go through this entire bank with precision and grace that it looks almost like an art. However, the silent alarm is tripped and they end up taking Claire as a hostage, just in case. When the close is clear, they drop her off unharmed and the FBI immediately ask her what she knows. With the possible risk of her identifying the culprits, MacRay takes it upon himself to check on her and see if shes going to talk, but by doing this leads to an unforeseen relationship between the two. This is the first movie directed by Affleck I've seen (haven't gotten around to Gone Baby Gone), and I'm impressed on his work. People often comment on his acting ability but as for his directing, it's top notch. The movie has the intense feel of a crime thriller and makes you care a little bit for Affleck's character, who is just trying to get out of the heist game and make a life thats better than this. Not only is Affleck on par with the movie, but the rest of the cast is great as well. Jeremy Renner gives a great performance as Affleck's best friend/partner in crime and Rebecca Hall is a great leading lady. Even Chris Cooper, who plays Doug's father is good for the short time he has on screen. The camera work could of used slight improvement, because it does the "shaky camera" technique, and often gives me a headache. The other thing I guess i have a problem with is Affleck as the lead. It kinda seems like an ego trip for the director to be also one of the lead stars, but most actors/actresses are starting to direct and put themselves in their own movies, and it works occasionally , and this is one of those times where it does work. Expand
  18. Sep 17, 2010
    An above average heist movie that does its job well. Was hoping that this would be an Oscar worthy flick that would grasp me like The Departed and Gone Baby Gone did. While Ben Affleck did a nice job directing and put in a solid acting performance there wasn't enough of an attachment between the viewer and the characters.

1. A first-class genre entry stacked with dandy performances and some crackerjack action to boot.
    This second feature doesn't resonate with nearly as much power, but its suspenseful story of two generations of career criminals in the city's northerly Charlestown neighborhood has a similarly haunting quality.
  3. A rich, dark, pulpy mess of entanglements that fulfills all the requirements of the genre, and is told with an ease and gusto that make the pulp tasty.