7.7

1. Sep 2, 2014
    A meticulous look at bank robberies in Boston, specifically Charlestown, over the past several years. Boldly delivered performances--along with fine direction from Ben Affleck.
  2. Jun 5, 2014
    The Town reminds me a lot about another film named Heat from 1995 starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. Like Heat, The Town gives a message, that message is that heist movies are not only about explosions and guns. The Town has very nice dialogue and camera work. Great performances from Affleck, Renner, Hamm and Hall
  3. Dec 21, 2013
    All i can say is wowwww!!!!! One of the best movies of the 21st century.. i gotta say this is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.. ben affleck has found his calling as a supreme director... i love the authenticity of this movie actually taking real life people from the streets of Charlestown and putting them in movie.. the setup w fenway park and how they take down the cathedral of boston is simply amazing! Ben affleck not only directed a gem here but he also put up an oscar wwinning performance in my opinion.. especially w the way hisaccent was.. this is a great masterpiece and shouldnt be thought of anything less Expand
  4. Nov 1, 2013
    Much better than the overrated Ben Affleck's movie "Argo". Engrossing cliffhanger simply.
    Great guises of robbers, I think nuns and skeletons are rocking :D
    Blake Lively perfectly come in to her own with the bad woman role.
  5. Oct 18, 2013
    The Town is a very good thriller. It's nearly a great one, but falls just shy of that mark. It's extremely well acted, and I actually believe Affleck did a better job directing here than with Argo. A noticeable tension runs through the film, mostly due to the realism of the whole thing. You really get the feeling that this is a lived in world and not just a studio's production. The love story dealing with Affleck's character and a hostage actually gives the movie more meaning instead of making it feel cheezy, which is a hard thing to do but it still slows down the pacing too much. The action scenes are done with vigor and energy, which is refreshing compared to other films' usually flat time fillers. Where the movie does fall kind of short is in its formulaic one last job scenario. The screenplay is actually extremely well written and full of fiery dialogue exchanges and desperate situations, but it's all set in a limited frame. I let Inception slide with its one last job cleche because it was so innovative in other areas and not affected or limited by that plot point at all. Despite these gripes The Town is still an exhilarating, engaging, and surprisingly atmospheric crime thriller which is definitely worth buying. It's too bad that it only got one Oscar nomination. Expand
  6. Sep 18, 2013
    Riveting drama by Ben Affleck, falling only a hair short from perfection. The execution is done with a touch of sense and reality, and the style of filming and the way it jumps from scene to scene keeps your eyes glued to the screen.
  7. Jul 8, 2013
    Ben Affleck shows he is a very talented director and does a strong job on screen as well. The robbery scenes look good and Jeremy Renner is good as well.
  8. Jul 5, 2013
    I know this film got great reviews, but it just didn't do it for me. It felt like I had seen this all before (and I have! In i.e. Heat). The characters were mostly unlikable to me, and the love story hard to believe. It's not a bad film, but it's not one of my favourite heist movies and it's hardly original....
  9. Apr 13, 2013
    Before his academy award winning movie "Argo", Ben Affleck has created this intense crime thriller that proves that he's got what it takes to make a Bad-A** movie. It is tremendous in storytelling. Even though the love story portion is a bit strange, it still manages to work fantastically. Plus, it features a tremendous ensemble of actors such as Ben Affleck, John Hamm, Blake Lively, Rebecca Hall and of course, Jeremy Renner. They all really keep the story very well interesting and entertaining, especially Jeremy's portrayl of James Coughlin. It's also thrilling with the bank robbery scenes. God were they intense. Overall, it's a crime thrilling 21st century version of "Heat." Expand
  10. Apr 4, 2013
    Ben Affleck has directed 3 great movies. But the last one, Argo, is definitely better. Not the most impressive ever or passionate or fun, but it´s flaw-less. This second one (The Town) is well executed, is interesting enough, but there were moments in the film when I thought it was going to be so great, but it never got there. I found the ending predictable, or at least like I´ve seen similar things in some other movies a while ago. Good film for a new director. But not one that will stick with you Expand
  11. Feb 26, 2013
    Ben Affleck leads and directs an excellent cast in what can only be described as the most intelligent and grounded heist movie in a long, long time.
    We lead in with a few snippets about a square mile place in Boston called Charlestown, which apparently is where the most professional of bank heist robbers come from, accounting for around 300 robberies in Boston each year. This isn't
    dramatisation...this is fact.
    We then lead in with Doug McCrea (Affleck) and his associates robbing a bank, but in a very professional manner, they rid the place of DNA traces, they know who works there and they know when the time lock allows the safe to open, these boys have did their homework, and Affleck has certainly stayed up late in mastering witty and intelligent script to go along with this fantastic movie.
    Jeremy Renner also stars in a very unique and vastly different role from the one he played in The Hurt Locker, sure, he still has the persona, but there is no mistake that his character of 'Jem' Coughlin is dangerous and very unpredictable.
    Th opening heist sequence is smooth, slick and full of ideas to which the viewer can just sit and enjoy what is going on in front of them. This doesn't stop, as the mistake is made of taking a hostage, Claire (Rebecca Hall) who Doug soon starts a relationship with, thus complicating his friendship with the ever loose cannon of Coughlin, and the new investigation from the FBI, headed by agent Frawley (Jon Hamm).
    Affleck has created the perfect balance of characters in that we don't know exactly how to feel towards them, should we forgive them for robbing banks or beating people up? Perhaps not, but of course is where the film shows depth, as Doug is looking at the long term future and has plans to get out of Boston, and its difficult in a film like this to draw the line as a viewer as to what is right and what is wrong, thus making this superbly acted and written., with excellent action and set pieces to go along with the crime caper.
    Affleck delivers a fine performance as the conflicted leader Doug, but its his directing skills and co-writing that really shine through. Renner is arguably the best performance of the film, his consistent disregard for the rules and basic human life is sometimes worrying to the point of anxiety at the film as it unfolds, he shows signs of emotional depth around Doug, but apparently nobody else.
    Rebecca Hall gives a sound performance as Claire, the kidnapped bank worker, her consistent questions regarding bank robberies to Doug are perhaps something to think about, but maybe not too much, with smaller roles for the late great Pete Postlethwaite and the ever expanding CV of Titus Weliiver, (seriously, this guy is in everything) this is perhaps one surprise thriller that is definitely worth seeing.
  12. Feb 24, 2013
    I don't like Ben Affleck as an actor. I think he's very overrated and quite bland. As a director thou, he is now 2 for 2. The town was a terrific story based on actually events. The action sequences are phenomenal and the story was pretty solid. The crappy bawston accents did make the dialogue a little difficult to understand but overall, I feel like this was a great film that defiantly lives up to the hype. It worth checking out. Expand
  13. Jan 13, 2013
    The town is a film to look at in two different ways. It can be your standard action film with average acting and poor story or a film that mixes story and a action brilliantly. I would say the first choice was more accurate.
  14. Dec 8, 2012
    So excellent! I would have loved to see this film grab the 10th Best Picture nominee slot last year...one of the best films of 2010. Ben Affleck has really turned into a great director.
  15. Nov 28, 2012
    "The Town" proves once again that Ben Affleck not only knows how to work in front of the camera. It's taut, brilliant, and modestly optimistic.
  16. Nov 7, 2012
    This is no Departed, but Affleck, in the second film he directed as well is very good. The Town is a well-paced thriller, and is highlighted by Jeremy Renner, who is extraordinary here.
  17. Aug 25, 2012
    While a decent heist thriller, 'The Town' sadly isn't much more than that. When the film is concentrated on anything besides the love story between Ben Affleck and Rebecca Hall, it's pretty interesting. Sadly, the love story is anything but interesting. Most will disagree, but I found the romance to be dull and lifeless. There's a 2 and half hour extended cut of the film that, to me, only makes matters worse by extending the romance. I wanted to like the film more and hopefully get past that main gripe, but I just couldn't. Jeremy Renner steals the show here, although I really did not find his performance to be great enough to be an Oscar contender. I think. As you can tell, I find 'The Town' to be over-rated, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it, it just means that I found nothing special about it. It's good for a single viewing, but I have no real reason to see it again. 7/10 for theatrical version, 6/10 for extended cut. Expand
  18. Aug 25, 2012
    Ben Affleck is continually proving himself to be a very talented director. The story is perhaps just a little too slow for my liking but I really enjoyed the chemistry between him and Jeremy Renner. Everyone pulls their weight in this slow-burning, bank robbery thriller.
  19. May 28, 2012
    Don't be fooled by the fact that Affleck is in this - it's actually pretty good! Slightly predictable popcorn film, but with some good performances and a decent script that make it better than most. Worth a punt.
  20. May 10, 2012
    A single square mile in Boston called Charlestown contains more bank robbers than any other municipality in America/ And it is here where the setting of one of the best films of 2010 takes place. "The Town' is a powerful force that explores thoughts deeper than that of most films about organized thieves.

We are introduced to four criminals who are about to empty out an innocent bank. Two
    of them, Doug and James, are given much attention throughout the movie. The other two are, uh, well I believe there hasn't been a successful heist before in movie history that featured less than four guys. So there you go.

Because this is just the opening scene, the cops arrive right after the crooks get away, and in movie rules, theyâ
  21. Feb 3, 2012
    Greatest thriller of all time. I thought this movie was going to be soo bad. But once i watched this movie with Deadlybrooke i thought this was the greatest movie of all time. I watch it from time to time and it gets better every time i watch it
  22. Dec 28, 2011
    The Town is very much a sappier version of Heat. That being said, it's not a bad movie. It just wasn't nearly as good as I was expecting it to be.
  23. Dec 27, 2011
    Ben Affleck has made another exceptional crime movie, following up Gone Baby Gone with this gem that takes place in the town he loves so much -- Boston. Affleck directs and stars in this story about Charlestown, a Boston neighborhood where bank robbin' runs in the family. Jeremy Renner is phenomenal. Affleck himself is very very good. I didn't expect to love this movie but I loved it.
  24. Oct 28, 2011
    Here we have another attractive woman who falls in love with the lame anti-hero as soon as he tells her the time of day. Why don't these women ever have boyfriends? Or even friends? Half way through the movie the FBI figures out the robbers are Ben and co. So they set a plan in motion involving a slut obsessed with Ben that may or may not work. Meanwhile Ben and his posse walk out their front door and rob two more banks. Having someone watch their house I guess is just too much expenses for taxpayers to handle. In between well shot but completely illogical action sequences you'll find this conversation repeated ad infinitum: "This is what we do. This is the life we chose." Sigh...This movie is a joke. Then the ending is a twist of the knife. Expand
  25. Oct 13, 2011
    The Town is a decent attempt by Ben Affleck and for the most part is entertaining. I did however find the acting a little over done and forced - the characters never seemed to stop yelling and swearing at each other for no real believable reason other than the director wanted them too. The last act was interesting in an action oriented way and was well directed. Not the greatest movie, but good enough to be entertaining. Expand
  26. Oct 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I watched The Town knowing that (a) it starred Ben Affleck; and that (b) it *might* have been directed by the same person. Nothing more.

I really enjoyed this Boston bank robbery tale and - as I'm a sucker for a happy ending - I should've loved how it was concluded. The last 15 minutes felt a little tacked on, but it was a good story well directed by Affleck.
  27. Oct 1, 2011
    Overall a great movie. A little bit slow in the first half of the movie, other than that i would have gave it a 10. Great effects and i loved the realism. Some scene of this movie gave me chills down my back. From the masks, to flash grenades. Also, Great special features. Definitely one to pick up!
  28. Sep 27, 2011
    "The Town" is daring and tense; its a rare gangster movie that is abundant with strong action and appealing force to the audience. Bravo Mr. Affleck, Bravo!!
  29. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    Much better than I expected. Ben Affleck should stick to his Director's Chair, it suits him just fine(See Gone Baby Gone). A compelling thrill ride.
  30. Sep 22, 2011
    Awesome Movie, Ben Affleck has more success as a director than as an actor, and The Town and Gone Baby Gone are very good examples of that. The concept of the film were so amazing, very well written and with a complex story and interesting, there wasn't a second of the movie that I was less interested, Jeremy Renner completely dominated his last scene, he really knew what he was doing, Rebecca Hall was other pleasant surprise, so overall this movie was one of the best movies in 2010. Expand
  31. Aug 22, 2011
    I saw the directors cut of this film witch adds about 30-40 minutes to the movie and i its just really boring to me they just over developed the characters, the actors just kept taking and taking and the action scenes added no thrills or suspense. As to the story its fine as its simply to follow. The action was great but again they just talked to damm much. If you have not seen this movie and are planning to see it make sure you are plenty awake. Expand
  32. Aug 15, 2011
    The plot is common, conventional, and even cliche. Thank for awesome direction and cinematography, and also intense action. While The Town glories in genre tropes it also dumps any overt stylings, keeping the action alive and lithe.
  33. Jul 30, 2011
    Affleck proves himself with this film. His direction is top notch. The script is excellent. The performances although you may have seen these types of characters a hundred times before are played as if you'd never seen them before. There's little to fault. Affleck uses Boston like it was part of his cast. Jeremy Renner is a stand out but then so is Affleck. I didn't really expect to like this that much but I have to admit I was riveted. Expand
  34. Jul 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Selena is evolving much more at time. Looking behind for Kiss & Tell you can realize her grow. Mature vocals and independence define this album!!!!!!! One of the best of year! Expand
  35. May 28, 2011
    Some good performances from Affleck, Hamm and especially Blake Lively. Some sequences required too much suspension of disbelief for my taste. Although sometimes a little too "by the book," Affleck shows promise as a director.
  36. May 28, 2011
    This movie sucked. Every character was stereotypical - the bank robber with the heart of gold, his buddy the over-the-top f*ckup (worst criminal ever, seriously), the damsel in distress who seemingly has no perception or awareness at all and the FBI guy who gets outsmarted at the end. I think I wrote this on my lunch break in 7th grade... and then threw it out because I thought it was too cliche. Cool shootouts and Nun robber masks though, but that was what, 3 minutes out of the whole movie? Expand
  37. May 23, 2011
    It copies the central theme from the movie Heat and throws a bit of James Bond style chase scenes in it but the overall affect is weak. Some parts are great but there is some shortcuts taken in the script which can leave the viewer somewhat cheated. Its an Ok movie but not one to watch a second time.
  38. May 10, 2011
    The movie The Town is full of drama, action, and a lot of crime. The movie has a lot of suspense that will keep the viewers in their seat. This movie is not like other movies; it offers a great story line and has a good location on where it is filmed. It is filmed in The Charles-town neighborhood of Boston. The neighborhood has that rough feel to it that makes the whole look of location a good one. The Town is a movie that has a lot to offer in one drama film. The actors in the movie make it a lot better. The cast includes Ben Affleck, Rebecca Hall and John Hamm and Jeremy Renner and Blake Lively, these are just some of the main cast mates in the movie. There are many other actors in the movie that complete the movie scene. The actors/actresses that had a part in the movie have also been in other drama/action films before. They all know how to play their part and make the movie complete. What makes any good drama film good is how your purpose your part to the scene. Some reviewers might say they picked the wrong characters for the film. I disagree I feel that the characters they picked for the movie is what makes it better. Ben Affleck the director of the movie and the one of main character has been in many drama films before. Ben has also made a debut in another drama film â Expand
  39. Apr 11, 2011
    The problem with movies starring Ben Affleck is...Ben Affleck. He ruins every movie he is in because he is so incredibly full of himself, and apparently no director can get that out of him.
    I stopped caring 15 minutes into the movie, when he hooks up with the main witness. How stupid can you be ? She heard his voice, loud and clear, and she even tells him that she could probably identify
    the robbers by their voices. From that moment on, the audience must simply wonder why she doesn't.
    Long, boring, predictable. Nothing new under the sun. Like a cheap spin-off of The Departed. I just watched because the girl was cute...and give it a one.
  40. Mar 22, 2011
    The Town is a terrific action movie and one of the best films of the year. Ben Affleck is in fabulous form as both actor and director in this heist movie. A well-written script and a superb setting; Boston, which actually plays a big part in the film. The story follows a master thief (Affleck) who inadvertently falls in love with one of his heist victims (Rebecca Hall) and begins to re-think his life. Amongst this is an Oscar worthy performance by the awesome Jeremy Runner and a strong performance as usual by the late Pete Postlethwaite, recognition to Blake Lively and Rebecca Hall who were great. A great action/heist movie with some excellent performances. Expand
  41. Mar 16, 2011
    I didn't think it was all that. The acting was good but it's a dvd rental if you ask me.This movie received a mixed response from me. I expected much more from Ben Affleck's skillful directing. Jeremy Renner, Jon Hamm, & Blake Lively seemed into their respective roles, however Affleck and Rebecca Hall were in their own little worlds. Pretty disappointing,
  42. Mar 13, 2011

In case you don't know the Town has a simple concept that has been done time and time again. Bank robbery. So in that front it's not the most unique and other movies have done it before, etc. etc. But, I am a huge sucker for bank robbery movies so I couldn't pass this one up. And while bank robbery movies have been done before this one
    still manages to stand out. From the crazy ways they rob the banks to a pretty heavy romance tone throughout the movie.

Acting was good and it tied into the storyline very well. And speaking of the story, I mentioned about the romance overtone. Yes, it does have a hefty romance theme going on but there are also themes of brotherly camaraderie and vengeance. It really has it all. So if you haven't seen this movie yet I'd give it a go. I mean if it was good enough to be nominated for Oscars you know it has something going good for it. Plus my review (;
  43. Mar 9, 2011
    It`s not just a sequel. It`s more like a rebirth in fast-paced style.

Great storytelling makes you feel like you are really there and care for the cast. The atmosphere is superb and Bioware again nails with voice acting.

Some will not like some changes in combat, but works for me.

Awesome game, a must buy for people who loves a great story.
  44. Mar 7, 2011
    Loved this film. Catch it on DVD/BLU-Ray if you missed it in the cinema. Wrote an extensive review here: http://seanryanmovies.blogspot.com/2011/02/town-2010-review.html
  45. Mar 4, 2011
    The Town proves that Ben Affleck has escaped the "cheesy surfer dude" roles. This guy knows how to tell a story, and how to direct one. He proved that with Good Will Hunting (one of my all-time favourites), Gone Baby Gone, and now with this. The film is gritty, intense, dramatic, and romantic when it should be. I was especially impressed with Jeremy Renner (who was nominated for his role) and Blake Lively, who gave a great performance with her small role as a drugged-up mother who needs some serious help. Collapse
  46. Mar 2, 2011
    Despite the decent Boston accents that everyone handles acceptably - despite great character actors Pete Postelwaite and Chris Cooper in tiny underutilized roles - despite the fact that somehow Jeremy Renner managed to snaggle a nomination for Best Supporting (ensuring that he will continue to be typecast as a sociopath ad infinitum,) this is a predictable heist movie with extraneous amounts of foul language and unnecessary violence making up for anything close to character development. By the time the inevitable happens, I couldn't care less who was going to make it out alive. Expand
  47. Feb 21, 2011
    Finally a thriller that is actually intelligently written, acted out and overall packaged! It is always a fine balancing act to make a film with such thematic be really good and effective. Without unnecessary car chases, violence (all the violence is rather appropriate in the film), "The Town" represents what every thriller ought to be. With an impressive cast, led by the excellent Jeremy Renner and Rebeca Hall, as well as director/writer/leading actor Ben Affleck, the acting in the film is excellent. Great ensemble, with Jeremy Renner really standing out as one of the best performances - matching up to his performance in "The Hurt Locker."
    Overall, the film is somewhat slow, but it definitely keeps you interested. Maybe not as suspenseful as it could have been, but still cleverly written and directed by the surprisingly good Ben Affleck, the film is definitely a must-see of 2010!
  48. Feb 19, 2011
    Sorry wrote the post 20 mins in. It's Heat except he lives. Still very good but only because heat was that good. Heat with Ben's Boston treatment that leaves a lot to be desired.
  49. Feb 12, 2011
    Generally I think this film has been a bit overrated. The use of the Boston locale is done beautifully but the plot strains credulity over and over. Twice we see the criminals being set upon by dozens of cops -- the first time in a car chase through incredibly narrow streets -- yet they manage to get away with barely a scratch. The love story never really takes hold either, so a major part of the plot mechanics fails to engage. If you're willing to forgo some believability then this is an entertaining two hours but for gritty realism you'll need to look elsewhere. Expand
  50. Feb 7, 2011
    Although many action films have their adversity of progressing the storyline and plot, 'The Town' directed by Ben Affleck shows the perfect storyline and even solid action performances.
  51. Jan 27, 2011
    It beats most heist thrillers, but I was expecting more from Ben Affleck's sophomore directing effort than tight shootouts and good acting (Jeremy Renner, Rebecca Hall, one of Affleck's best performances). Glaring script holes and contrivances leave me hoping "Gone Baby Gone" wasn't a fluke.
  52. Jan 24, 2011
    I watched the DVD having seen only the original trailers and expecting an action/heist film. I got that for about 15 minutes at the beginning and 15 minutes at the end. The rest was a long-winded (2 hours) drama about the developing relationship between three of the characters involved in the robbery at the beginning of the film. If you're looking for an action type flick you might want to pass. If you're an Affleck fan you will get a decent film that will help him climb back up to the top of Hollywood where he one stood alongside Damon. Expand
  53. Lyn
    Jan 23, 2011
    The gritty feel and good acting saved this for me despite the fact that I did not quite believe the romantic part of the story line. At this point I would watch Jeremy Renner in anything, though -- and Rebecca Hall is remarkably real as well.
  54. Jan 17, 2011
    If you think Ben Affleck is a great Actor, you should take a better look at GOOD WILL HUNTING (1997). If you think Ben is a great Screenwriter, you should see more thoroughly in THE TOWN. In thiz last movie, he also directed it. For me, Ben is the third talented Actor-Director in the past decade, beside Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson. Thiz is his second long feature after respectable GONE BABY GONE in 2007. The Town is Charleston-Boston, where everybody knows everybody. It revolves around the bank thief Doug (Ben Affleck), his partner in crime James (Jeremy Renner), along with their former hostage Claire (Rebecca Hall) who will be having a love affair with Doug later, and a FBI agent Adam (John Hamm). All of them got tangled into cat and mouse situation. First half of the movie, it is introducing the characters and situations. Then the second half, it flips over nicely and everything is mounted up very well. I think Ben is success with his directing method bcoz he does not exaggerate things up, he just let every thing flows naturally. Yes, he is playing save here. The factors that empower thiz movie are simply a good script and consistent Actor performances. Ben himself shows a very calm and convincing performance. As well Rebecca Hall as his love interest, Hall delivers a precise fragile and lovable character. Jeremy Renner is deathly awesome with his street-gang attitude. Most of the supporting Casts deserve honorable mentions as well. Blake Lively as Doug former-girlfriend and single parent, I have never seen Lively blends into thiz kind of troubled character. Chris Cooper as Doug behind-the-cell father, it only took one scene but it is surely memorable. And the last but not least for me, it is Pete Postlethwaite as Fergie the flower man who is the brain of the crime. There is strange feeling by only hearing his intimidate and unique accent. In the end, we realize it is The Town that could change people, and the people are just victims. It is harder to change the system than the person itself. But to change the system, it should start by changing the person as well. And thiz will be a never ending circle. It is totally out of our control. But we can control something, for me it is waiting for another Ben next project. I will see him again, on thiz side or the other. Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com Expand
  55. Jan 17, 2011
    One of the most underrated movies of 2010. It definitely did not get the attention or recognition it deserved. Despite the awkward attempts at Boston accents, the acting, script, and direction was strong.
  56. Jan 13, 2011
    In a way this film is not satisfying because it appears too realistic. We are so used to stylized action that the "real" thing, in this case, is rather boring. For an action movie The Town is not exciting or surprising enough, and for a drama it fails to be emotional. It does not even achieve to convey that robbing a bank is bad for all of us. Breaking the rules/law hurts the system of the polis that most of us agree to live in because of the rights and the security we are promised from it. Expand
  57. Jan 1, 2011
    If you liked Heat, The Departed or Inside Man this movie is for you. Very well acted by the leads Affleck and Renner with good cameos by Chris Cooper and Pete Postlethwaithe. Affleck does a good job behind the camera to with a script that has charactors that feel real and well choregraphed action scenes. A great heist movie that deserves to be seen by more people than would usually watch this type of movie. Affleck is making waves after Gone Baby Gone and now this. Expand
  58. Dec 27, 2010
    Ben Affleck's previous work, Gone Baby Gone, is center around Boston. And in The Town, Ben Affleck revisits his hometown to do nothing more than talk trash on it. He must've really hated this town because both of his movies portrayed nothing but evil of Boston. Nevertheless, The Town is beautifully directed, written with great wit, and acted with much style. The story centers around a bunch of bank robbers who have been successful at what they are doing. But the success comes to an end when Doug (Ben Affleck) decided to have a relationship with hostage Clairre (Rebecca Hall). As the relationship develops, Clairre finds out that Doug is a bank robber and it gets complicated. Meanwhile, Doug was having a casual sexual relationship with his friend's sister Krista (Blake Lively). Being jealous of Clairre, Krista decided to rat Doug and her brother's bank heist to the FBI resulting in a lot of stylized gun fires and great driving scenes. The end is obvious but it has a sad element that Ben Affleck wants the viewers to feel. Writing, acting, and directing the whole film, Affleck's got a lot on his table but still manages to pull off every single role. As a writer, along with two others, Affleck was able to collaborate his knowledge of the Boston language and the wit of actual screen writing. As a director, he was able to direct a great gun fire sequence and a stylish car driving scene. As an actor, Affleck's performance would place second behind Jeremy Renner's. The Oscar winner continues to boost up his already impressive career with The Town. Jeremy Renner isn't new to playing a **** yet violent guy, but he especially stood out here with his badass attitude. Blake Lively's role was small but she gave it her all. You couldn't see her cuss in a Boston accent and have sex with Ben Affleck in Gossip Girl, could you? Well, there's the other reason to check it out. While filled with much thrillers, the film also showed emotions. Helped by one of this year's best ensembled cast and stylish directing by Ben Affleck, The Town is an award-winning film. OscarBuzz: Best Picture (good chance for a nod, not win), Best Screenplay (guarantee a nod, good chance for win), Best Supporting Actor (Jeremy Renner, good chance for a nod and win) Expand
  59. Dec 27, 2010
    This is really a good movie. Just see it. (score 9)

And I hate Ben. (And his big head/bad acting ) But he earned my respect here, as an actor and a producer. Getting error : Score (9.0) id must be a floating point number.
  60. Dec 26, 2010
    I was quite happily surprised by this film. Very little cliche in the dialogue and a little bit more in the events that occur in The Town, but the heart of the film beat out all of the pure violence to make it a little less of an action film and a lot more of a drama. Great job on Jeremy Renner's part as well as on Affleck's for a great direction. Not a nominee for best director at the Oscars this year, but it would be great to see him up there. In a year of a king with a speech impediment, a man who invented facebook, a doppelganger fearing ballerina, and many others, this film puts itself up with the big dogs, but falls a tad short of being properly recognized. This was a good film. At moments when I was really worried for The Town of being predictable or cliched, I was happy to find original plot twists, though minor and a very nice look on the business of robbery in the town where it flourishes the most. The whole "robbers are people too" theme seemed a tad bit cheesy, but after saying this I feel bad because this is a good movie, not one of my favorites, but it does it's job of providing smart dialogue, good performances, stylish action sequences and great direction. Expand
  61. Dec 21, 2010
    The Town' runs on a very simple premise, executed particularly well by Ben Affleck, the star and director of this film. Affleck plays Doug MacRay, the leader of a group of bank robbers in a small Boston-area town, and it turns out that they're no amateurs; in fact, they've been doing this for years. It's this small town's underground crime family, an accepted aspect of their culture. Doug decides he wants out of the "family business" after falling in love with the hostage from his previous robbery, and this marks the beginning of a dastardly explosive chain of events that lead up to a colossal conclusion. While there are some plotholes here and there, they're barely noticeable since the film moves in a rapid "Nolan-esque" pace. Most of the characters in 'The Town' are pretty stereotypical and the story is somewhat cliché, so why did I like it? Probably the same reason everyone else liked it: it's just so much fun! The stereotypical characters don't end up so stereotypical when they're portrayed by an outstanding cast (including Jeremy Renner (Hurt Locker), Blake Lively, Jon Hamm and Chris Cooper), and the story moves by so quickly that we have no time to argue with any implausibilities. It's a genius technique that's being used more and more lately, most notably so by 'The Dark Knight' and 'Inception' director Christopher Nolan. It's easy to get lost in these films if you think too hard, which is why you should only focus on what's simply being presented. It's what films are for, and both Nolan and Affleck demonstrate this superbly. Now here's me thinking too hard, because some things in 'The Town' were indeed confusing. For instance, if these guys have been robbing banks for years, why are they still poor? Where is all of the money going? Why do the banks continue to have poor security? Why are the feds just now catching up? The way these questions are avoided shows a surreal style of realism that is nothing short of spectacular. While these holes are avoided, we're expected to just roll with it, and if you do just that, it's definitely going to be one of the most entertaining films you see this year. The whole "backing out" plot is a classic that has been somewhat overused throughout film history, but it is handled well in 'The Town.' Doug represents an inevitable "flaw" that always marks the end of an ongoing system, that system being the success of the robberies. When one specimen, in this case Doug, decides to turn against the system, it is a break from the conventional, what critics look for in movies, character development! Affleck plays a believable character going through a mental struggle to obey or betray his "family traditions, and Renner shines as his brother, a tough guy who sometimes makes ignorant decisions. Honestly though, he's one of the most intimidating film characters I've seen this year. Like I said before, they're mostly stereotypical, but they're acted out very well. I'm a sucker for good heist films, and this one goes down with the newer 'Ocean's Eleven' and 'Dog Day Afternoon' as one of my favorites. It's loud, intense, and action-packed, not to mention some of the coolest robbery sequences I've ever seen in film. If you want something smart and philosophical, this wouldn't be my first recommendation, although I wouldn't say it's not smart. But if you're down for something that never lets go of your attention, then this is a great choice. Expand
  62. Dec 10, 2010
    honestly, i expected more..although it didn't bring anything new to the silver screen, the movie was enjoyable, but when you have set the bar with inception-like movies it's really hard to be blown out with this film...the acting is great, a great cast but i feel that something is missing..i'm not a fan of the love story in the movie, but i enjoyed the action scenes and their tensity..i wish the characters had a better connection with the viewers.... Expand
  63. Nov 26, 2010
    Didn't really want to go see a Ben Affeck movie. Never thought much of him infront or behind the camera. I liked the movie though mostly because it's a "gritty" hard knocks story. I also lived in Boston for a while so I appreciated the setting. But, true to form, the story has some inconsistencies, includeung Ben's come and go accent. Plus, the story works it's way around a dumb question which ruins a movie that had a real chance to be very good. People seem to like action and romance so it's doing well with the masses. Entut certainly not a must see. Expand
  64. Nov 22, 2010
    Ben Affleck's "real" directorial debut definitely lives up to it's unoriginal title and intriguing cast. Never has a movie just felt so normal, so engaging, it leaves the audience to become strays in the theater. The film quickly learns to be intelligent, but simplistic at the exact same time. The action reaches it's peak near the end, because there was a slight lack of it for the rest of it. The interaction between the characters in average dialougue can make you wonder how this movie can be interesting. Well, it works! Expand
  65. Nov 17, 2010
    The Town is at its best whenever the bad guys are up to no good. The cast is very fitting indeed with Affleck and Renner as the key "bad guys", Hamm as their adversary and the always brilliant Postlethwaite as the don. Brought me memories of "Heat" and "Break point".
  66. Nov 10, 2010
    Ben Affleck is the badass with the heart of gold, please. This is just his poor attempt at trying to be Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting or Leo in The Departed. We get that you love Boston, so do I, but as much as you were trying to be "authentic" to gritty Charlestown you cast Gossip Girl as a crackhead townie. I didn't care about any of the characters nor did I think any of them acted appropriately (Best example is Rebecca Hall's character, wtf is her deal). The story was lame and uninteresting and the ending was unrealistic and overdramatic. I think it's just riding on the coat tails of a Boston setting and some good robbery masks. Expand
  67. Nov 5, 2010
    Ben Affleck has been given so much **** I've realized something though. Just because the guy has chosen to do some really repugnant movies, doesn't mean he's a bad actor. If I played for the New York Islanders that wouldn't make me a bad hockey player. It's the team that sucks.
    He's now deservingly regarded as a talented director (a status they'll try with might to rip from him), but it's
    also time to admit that he's a talented actor as well. He just needs to pick the right teams to play for. Playing for his own is a great start. Expand
  68. Nov 2, 2010
    I will be honest... the only thing I expected from Ben Affleck was disappointment. I was wrong, totally wrong. This is a heist movie, an action movie. But it is also about Affleck's struggle with morality, loyalty and love.
    A roaringly entertaining journey.
  69. Nov 2, 2010
    Set in Charlestown the "Town" reminds us of films like "The Departed and "Mystic River", it's paced perfectly and the acting is mesmerizing.

Full review : www.dukeandthemovies.com
  70. Oct 31, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Barely in the realm of thumbs-up. It's busy, it's gritty, and Affleck went to some trouble to make the people appear real (no botoxed babes in cake makeup). Rebecca Hall is appealing, Jeremy Renner is seriously unlikable, and Affleck is not bad, but at no point to you *really* care about the people or the outcome of the movie. Yes I *did* want Affleck to get away at the end, but was I cheering when he did? No. I looked at my watch a lot during this flick... Expand
  71. Oct 30, 2010
    Having lived in Boston and worked in law enforcement, Charlestown is portrayed very well, an Irish crime center, bank robber capital of the states, probably the world. I enjoyed this movie, although there were no real surprises in the story. Ben Affleck was very good, the whole cast was excellent, great car chase, the stories action was a bit forced. But all in all good film to see, I think you will enjoy it. Expand
  72. Oct 28, 2010
    This film was action packed and the acting was quite good. It kept the audience enthralled at times yet in the end it left us wanting more. I went into the film with zero respect for Ben Aflieck and left believing he was capable of much more than "daredevill".
  73. Oct 25, 2010
    So far this is my favorite movie of the year. Though I'm not sure if that's saying much this year. It was so much better than what I expected. Affleck proves that he is a contender in the Director's chair. About the only negative is Jon Ham's borderline acting skills. This movie was compelling from start to finish. All the other acting was strong, including Affleck. But Affleck's true calling is directing. I look forward to seeing future movies from him. Expand
  74. Oct 23, 2010
    this movie was amazing.

ben affleck really has shown he can direct and that gone baby gone wasn't a one hit wonder

if theres any justice in the world Renner should get an oscar nomination
  75. Oct 22, 2010
    Who knew that Ben Affleck had such talent -- not only as an actor, but as a director? Considering how lousy most of this summer's movies were, I'm amazed that this excellent offering has scored only in the mid-70s. And, am I imagining it, or are most of the 7-or-lower reviews below a bit vague -- lame, even -- in comparison to those that praised the film? Me, I'm looking forward to Affleck's next project. Expand
  76. Oct 22, 2010
    It seems that most of us grow up with some version of the family business. Hollywood in itself is a prime example. The Barrymore name has been ever present as long as making movies has been a business. As a child is raised into the family business there comes the time to make the ultimate decision. Do you rebel and become something else? Or do you find comfort in the continuation of way of life? But what is a person to do if there is no way to rebel from the family business without dire consequences.

This is the theme explored in Ben Affleckâ
  77. Oct 18, 2010
    A solid follow-up to Affleck's fantastic and underrated "Gone Baby Gone," "The Town" is an extremely entertaining, albeit somewhat generic, crime thriller. The cast, even Blake Lively, is great, and Affleck shows that he has a real career ahead of him behind the camera.
  78. Oct 17, 2010
    The movie was a little slow about 75% of the way through but that is the only complaint. Great cast. Fantastic story. Even better action. Might not be completely plausable but that is why it makes such a great movie. I would advise making plans to go see this.
  79. Oct 11, 2010
    The Town is a very solid movie. It's just not very memorable. It has a little bit of everything that you want in a movie - solid actors, character development, plot, and action sequences - but it lacks a 'wow' factor. You can't wrong seeing this movie, but you won't be missing anything special if you don't see it either.
  80. Oct 11, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wish I could give them movie a 7.5, but 7 will have to do. This movie had a lot of hype and I think my expectations were too high. It was a solid flick, but not a movie i'll be watching over and over again (i.e., departed). The action was solid, the acting was a little all over the place. Supporting case was probably all better than Ben. He got yolked up for this movie and looked the part, but I just felt like he was pretending to be bad ass instead of just being bad ass. One thing that I found a little lackluster in the film was the tempo of the music. A lot of scenes had little to know soundtrack. It might just be my personal taste, but I love when the music and the action just sync and you're totally lost in the scene. Certain points had it, the last heist (for sure), but for the most part I think Ben went w/ a realistic approach. I recommend this movie, but don't expect the movie of the year, just another solid entertaining action flick. Expand
  81. Oct 9, 2010
    "Ben Affleck Directs a stunning masterpiece , in this one of kind thrill to the min thriller , that will keep you on the edge of your seat, The Town is one of the best films of the year which include Oscar worthy performances from John Ham & Jeramey Renner" .. A-
  82. Oct 5, 2010
    This film only needs merely a sentence from me, and here it is. This is one of the best films of the year, and you must see it immediately; because not only is it epic, it is breath-stealing, fast-action, awesomeness.
  83. Oct 4, 2010
    Wow, this movie is an absolute 12!!! By far the best movie I've seen in 10 years. It's simply riveting. Run, don't walk, to see it. I smell an Oscar! We are going to see it again.
  84. Oct 3, 2010
    Another great film by Ben Affleck. Manages to do something similar to so many heist films in the past, yet in a very unique and affecting way. Very enjoyable. Holds your attention.
  85. Oct 3, 2010
    Ben Affleck's latest directorial effort stars him as the leader of a quartet of rough bank robbers in the Charlestown section of Boston. After he falls for the hostage from their latest heist, he tries to go straight. While the performances are uniformly strong and the action is taut, the predictable story and indulgent soliloquies keep the film from being as powerful as it might have been. One thing I don't understand: why do Affleck and John Hamm (the FBI guy) always have thick 5 o'clock shadows? Expand
  86. Oct 1, 2010
    This is a movie full of hits and misses. Ben Affleck directing is a hit. Ben Affleck acting is a miss. I personally feel that Mr. Affleck suffers from the terminal disease of being too-likable-in-a-normal-sort-of-way. The kind of likeable that I would have over to watch a hockey game. Not the kind of likeable that I would believe could rob banks and have one of the hostages fall in love with him. There are other actors out there who suffer from a similar disease of being too good looking to be believable. Luckily, there are some other very qualified personal who are able to make the most of their characters. And Affleck allows them the space in order to do it. The movie clips along at an efficient pace and effectively balances out action and drama. The action scenes are well executed and get the adrenaline pumping, but I found some of the smaller scenes were handled more clumsily. This was a disappointment considering Affleck's previous film Gone Baby Gone. In particular the scene involving Renner, Affleck and Hall sitting at a cafe would have produced it's menacing intentions more effectively using subtlety rather than telegraphed acting and dialogue. The movie closes out with more hits and misses, but Affleck still shows promise as a budding director. Expand
  87. Oct 1, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay Ben Affleck can direct and he's not bad as the lead in this. Some of you won't like the ending but no one got on anyone's case for the way Shawshank Redemption ended so chill out. This is one of those crime films that coaxes you into sympathizing with the crooks, you want them to get away, well at least a few of them. Depending on how much you know about Ben Affleck you might be able to detect a subtle autobiographical undercurrent smuggled into the plot. Just like his character, BA seems to have transcended his roots and left the unsavory aspects of his past behind him once and for all. Expand
  88. Sep 29, 2010
    The Town is an intelligent thriller, with interesting dynamics between the characters, excellent performances across the board and proof that Ben Affleck is a terrific director. Whilst the plot and heists are not exactly original, the story unfolds at a perfect pace, and the action scenes and acting are beautifully down-played giving the film a real authenticity and genuine emotional core. Having been impressed with his previous effort, Gone Baby Gone, and marvelling at the terrific trailer, I was not disappointed by Affleck's latest. He is a truly talented director, alongside his writing and acting skills, which have been seriously underestimated after the Gigli Ben-nifer debacle, and I look forward to his next venture. Expand
  89. Sep 28, 2010
    Negatives - Lots of cliches, unintimidating bad dudes, cheesy Boston over the top accents, Ben Affleck is in it.

Positives - Bank robbery action is good, Chris Cooper rocks

Worth seeing but temper your expectations.
  90. Sep 28, 2010
    Sadly The Town is not as finely executed as the bank robberies it portrays on screen. It does not completely stall, but Affleckâ
  91. Sep 27, 2010
    This film was a solid second effort, but like Gone Baby Gone suffers from a lack of realism. The acting is very fine, particularly from Jeremy Renner and John Hamm, and the action scenes are extremely well directed. However, the story just didn't work for me. Perhaps Affleck should hand over the writing to someone else for his next film.
  92. Sep 27, 2010
    After seeing Gone, Baby, Gone I had some expectations for this film and am happy to report it met or exceeded most of them. This film spends a lot of time in the gray areas where good guys aren't so nice and bad guys aren't so mean (sometimes.) That might sound like the standard anti-hero theme we've seen so much in Goodfellas, Sopranos, etc. but this film still managed to make a couple unexpected turns. Can't ask for much more than that. Expand
  93. Sep 26, 2010
    A good action, gritty film that allowed you to overlook the reality flaws. If only the ending could have done so. The ending is so reality flawed that it almost lost me as an a viewer.Still, it was better than I expected and I thought the performances were good, particularly Jeremy Renner.
  94. dgr
    Sep 26, 2010
    A Brilliant Film - Jon Hamm and Jeremy Renner Deserve Oscars - Ben Affleck, Blake Lively, Pete Postlethwaite and Rebecca Hall also deserve recognition - Better than Heat - My Favourite Movie of the year so far - Unmissable!
  95. Sep 26, 2010
    Ben Affleck has become one of my favorite directors of the last few years, if for no other reason than his skill behind the camera has been such a refreshing surprise. Gone Baby Gone certainly got my attention, although it had its share of shortcomings. With The Town, Affleck flexes considerable confidence directing not only balls-out action sequences, but quieter, more intimate moments between characters. He gives his actors plenty of room to breathe, and each of the stellar cast has at least one memorable scene. Affleck as an actor is at his best here, as well, although I don't believe his character quite earns the fate that is written for him.

My only quibbles with the film remain small. One character in particular is underdeveloped, so much so that when that character dies, it occurs to the audience just how little we knew about him, and how little we care. Also, thousands of bullets fly in this film, and yet the gun battles just don't have the spontaneous feel I think the filmmakers were going for. The action seems a bit too choreographed, and as a result, nothing comes as a real surprise; the gritty tone set by the early part of the film gets a big-budget gloss toward the end.

Despite its flaws, you'll walk out of the theater having been thoroughly entertained, and with a healthy respect for Affleck as a director and, yes, an actor.
  96. Sep 25, 2010
    Ben Affleck proves that he can not only act but direct too. He perfectly adapts the novel from which it is based and make into something interesting and entertaining to watch.
  97. Sep 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With two movies under this surprising filmmaker's belt, one commonality stands out; aside from, do we dare say, the auteur's fondness for time-lapse photography(he likes fast clouds), and that is his tendency to uphold the sanctity of motherhood, at the expense of the best interest for the child. Patrick Kenzie, the low-rent gumshoe played by Casey Affleck in "Gone Baby Gone", not only sees law and order in terms of black and white, his monochromatic worldview extends to people as well, best exemplified in the penultimate scene where he "[does] the right thing" and calls the cops on Jack Doyle(Morgan Freeman), who helped orchestrate the kidnapping of a little girl. Despite his girlfriend's protestations, Patrick insists on reuniting the child with her druggin' and whorin' mother(played by Amy Ryan). How can the detective be this unbending and injudicious, so unseeing of the big picture at hand? How can the protagonist, the hero we're supposed to relate with, let us down so badly? It's blood simple. Provincialism is the cause root of Patrick's blindness; he never left Dorchester, and as a result, the Massachusetts native never attained the proper perspective of its denizens, especially Helene, because he's one of them, a lower-class Bostonian with the same issues about race and social class, the same type blood. Twice, on separate occasions, Helene utters the n-word in Patrick's company without a reprimand, without even flinching. His complacency toward the racial epithet materializes as a real blind spot when it's revealed that the black chief of police keeps a white wife. As a counter to Angela's advisory against pursuing the letter of the law, the primordial Patrick, the hard-scrabbled street kid whom the soft girl tamed in high school, returns with a vengeance, when he asks with some bitterness and wounded pride, "Why? Because he has money and makes her sandwiches?" Is Patrick lashing out at Doyle's class, or race? The moviegoer gets the answer in the closing moments of "Gone Baby Gone", as the detective sits with the returned girl on the parlour sofa. Only then, after it's too late, over the blare of a cartoon from the electronic babysitter, does the detective practice introspection. Whereas Patrick Kenzie never left Boston, Doug McCrae(Ben Affleck) returns to Charlestown after his professional hockey career goes nowhere. According to Jem(Jeremy Renner), his almost famous friend thinks he's better than the other neighborhood boys-turned-hardened criminals(an accusation that's right on the money), unlike Patrick, who doesn't give up on Helene's potentiality as a mother, which in effect, validates his own self-worth as a bred-and-born townie. While Patrick, arguably, is a closeted bigot, Doug's brand of intolerance seems more rooted in class. Rather than improve the life of the child he fathered with Jem's sister(played by Blake Lively), the disposable girlfriend, the barfly he f****, Doug leaves behind the stolen loot with Claire(Rebecca Hall), the woman he makes loves to, his ticket out of Charlestown(as Angela was Patrick's ticket to liberate himself from the sociological limitations of his own town); he leaves behind a little girl in hell, likewise, with an equally unfit mother. Expand
  98. Sep 24, 2010
    First off, the one thing that this movie lacked was originality. It was a combination of Good Will Hunting, The Departed, Heat all rolled into one. You knew what was going to happen, and there were no surprises. On the plus side, Jeremy Renner was absolutely excellent in this film, as was Blake Lively. Outside of Affleck, the accents were done well, and the characters were all strong and compelling. I understand its his thing to pick one neighborhood in Boston whether that be Charlestown, Southie, Dorchester, etc. and find a blue collar story to tell, but I for one am growing rather tired of it. Find a different perspective, and take a chance. Expand

1. A first-class genre entry stacked with dandy performances and some crackerjack action to boot.
    This second feature doesn't resonate with nearly as much power, but its suspenseful story of two generations of career criminals in the city's northerly Charlestown neighborhood has a similarly haunting quality.
  3. A rich, dark, pulpy mess of entanglements that fulfills all the requirements of the genre, and is told with an ease and gusto that make the pulp tasty.