7.7

1. Dec 21, 2013
    All i can say is wowwww!!!!! One of the best movies of the 21st century.. i gotta say this is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.. ben affleck has found his calling as a supreme director... i love the authenticity of this movie actually taking real life people from the streets of Charlestown and putting them in movie.. the setup w fenway park and how they take down the cathedral of boston is simply amazing! Ben affleck not only directed a gem here but he also put up an oscar wwinning performance in my opinion.. especially w the way hisaccent was.. this is a great masterpiece and shouldnt be thought of anything less Expand
  2. Sep 18, 2013
    Riveting drama by Ben Affleck, falling only a hair short from perfection. The execution is done with a touch of sense and reality, and the style of filming and the way it jumps from scene to scene keeps your eyes glued to the screen.
  3. Apr 13, 2013
    Before his academy award winning movie "Argo", Ben Affleck has created this intense crime thriller that proves that he's got what it takes to make a Bad-A** movie. It is tremendous in storytelling. Even though the love story portion is a bit strange, it still manages to work fantastically. Plus, it features a tremendous ensemble of actors such as Ben Affleck, John Hamm, Blake Lively, Rebecca Hall and of course, Jeremy Renner. They all really keep the story very well interesting and entertaining, especially Jeremy's portrayl of James Coughlin. It's also thrilling with the bank robbery scenes. God were they intense. Overall, it's a crime thrilling 21st century version of "Heat." Expand
  4. Feb 26, 2013
    Ben Affleck leads and directs an excellent cast in what can only be described as the most intelligent and grounded heist movie in a long, long time.
    We lead in with a few snippets about a square mile place in Boston called Charlestown, which apparently is where the most professional of bank heist robbers come from, accounting for around 300 robberies in Boston each year. This isn't
    dramatisation...this is fact.
    We then lead in with Doug McCrea (Affleck) and his associates robbing a bank, but in a very professional manner, they rid the place of DNA traces, they know who works there and they know when the time lock allows the safe to open, these boys have did their homework, and Affleck has certainly stayed up late in mastering witty and intelligent script to go along with this fantastic movie.
    Jeremy Renner also stars in a very unique and vastly different role from the one he played in The Hurt Locker, sure, he still has the persona, but there is no mistake that his character of 'Jem' Coughlin is dangerous and very unpredictable.
    Th opening heist sequence is smooth, slick and full of ideas to which the viewer can just sit and enjoy what is going on in front of them. This doesn't stop, as the mistake is made of taking a hostage, Claire (Rebecca Hall) who Doug soon starts a relationship with, thus complicating his friendship with the ever loose cannon of Coughlin, and the new investigation from the FBI, headed by agent Frawley (Jon Hamm).
    Affleck has created the perfect balance of characters in that we don't know exactly how to feel towards them, should we forgive them for robbing banks or beating people up? Perhaps not, but of course is where the film shows depth, as Doug is looking at the long term future and has plans to get out of Boston, and its difficult in a film like this to draw the line as a viewer as to what is right and what is wrong, thus making this superbly acted and written., with excellent action and set pieces to go along with the crime caper.
    Affleck delivers a fine performance as the conflicted leader Doug, but its his directing skills and co-writing that really shine through. Renner is arguably the best performance of the film, his consistent disregard for the rules and basic human life is sometimes worrying to the point of anxiety at the film as it unfolds, he shows signs of emotional depth around Doug, but apparently nobody else.
    Rebecca Hall gives a sound performance as Claire, the kidnapped bank worker, her consistent questions regarding bank robberies to Doug are perhaps something to think about, but maybe not too much, with smaller roles for the late great Pete Postlethwaite and the ever expanding CV of Titus Weliiver, (seriously, this guy is in everything) this is perhaps one surprise thriller that is definitely worth seeing.
  5. Dec 8, 2012
    So excellent! I would have loved to see this film grab the 10th Best Picture nominee slot last year...one of the best films of 2010. Ben Affleck has really turned into a great director.
  6. May 10, 2012
    A single square mile in Boston called Charlestown contains more bank robbers than any other municipality in America/ And it is here where the setting of one of the best films of 2010 takes place. "The Town' is a powerful force that explores thoughts deeper than that of most films about organized thieves.

We are introduced to four criminals who are about to empty out an innocent bank. Two
    of them, Doug and James, are given much attention throughout the movie. The other two are, uh, well I believe there hasn't been a successful heist before in movie history that featured less than four guys. So there you go.

Because this is just the opening scene, the cops arrive right after the crooks get away, and in movie rules, theyâ
  7. Feb 3, 2012
    Greatest thriller of all time. I thought this movie was going to be soo bad. But once i watched this movie with Deadlybrooke i thought this was the greatest movie of all time. I watch it from time to time and it gets better every time i watch it
  8. Dec 27, 2011
    Ben Affleck has made another exceptional crime movie, following up Gone Baby Gone with this gem that takes place in the town he loves so much -- Boston. Affleck directs and stars in this story about Charlestown, a Boston neighborhood where bank robbin' runs in the family. Jeremy Renner is phenomenal. Affleck himself is very very good. I didn't expect to love this movie but I loved it.
  9. Sep 22, 2011
    Awesome Movie, Ben Affleck has more success as a director than as an actor, and The Town and Gone Baby Gone are very good examples of that. The concept of the film were so amazing, very well written and with a complex story and interesting, there wasn't a second of the movie that I was less interested, Jeremy Renner completely dominated his last scene, he really knew what he was doing, Rebecca Hall was other pleasant surprise, so overall this movie was one of the best movies in 2010. Expand
  10. Jul 30, 2011
    Affleck proves himself with this film. His direction is top notch. The script is excellent. The performances although you may have seen these types of characters a hundred times before are played as if you'd never seen them before. There's little to fault. Affleck uses Boston like it was part of his cast. Jeremy Renner is a stand out but then so is Affleck. I didn't really expect to like this that much but I have to admit I was riveted. Collapse
  11. Jul 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Selena is evolving much more at time. Looking behind for Kiss & Tell you can realize her grow. Mature vocals and independence define this album!!!!!!! One of the best of year! Expand
  12. May 10, 2011
    The movie The Town is full of drama, action, and a lot of crime. The movie has a lot of suspense that will keep the viewers in their seat. This movie is not like other movies; it offers a great story line and has a good location on where it is filmed. It is filmed in The Charles-town neighborhood of Boston. The neighborhood has that rough feel to it that makes the whole look of location a good one. The Town is a movie that has a lot to offer in one drama film. The actors in the movie make it a lot better. The cast includes Ben Affleck, Rebecca Hall and John Hamm and Jeremy Renner and Blake Lively, these are just some of the main cast mates in the movie. There are many other actors in the movie that complete the movie scene. The actors/actresses that had a part in the movie have also been in other drama/action films before. They all know how to play their part and make the movie complete. What makes any good drama film good is how your purpose your part to the scene. Some reviewers might say they picked the wrong characters for the film. I disagree I feel that the characters they picked for the movie is what makes it better. Ben Affleck the director of the movie and the one of main character has been in many drama films before. Ben has also made a debut in another drama film â Expand
  13. Mar 9, 2011
    It`s not just a sequel. It`s more like a rebirth in fast-paced style.

Great storytelling makes you feel like you are really there and care for the cast. The atmosphere is superb and Bioware again nails with voice acting.

Some will not like some changes in combat, but works for me.

Awesome game, a must buy for people who loves a great story.
  14. Mar 7, 2011
    Loved this film. Catch it on DVD/BLU-Ray if you missed it in the cinema. Wrote an extensive review here: http://seanryanmovies.blogspot.com/2011/02/town-2010-review.html
  15. Mar 4, 2011
    The Town proves that Ben Affleck has escaped the "cheesy surfer dude" roles. This guy knows how to tell a story, and how to direct one. He proved that with Good Will Hunting (one of my all-time favourites), Gone Baby Gone, and now with this. The film is gritty, intense, dramatic, and romantic when it should be. I was especially impressed with Jeremy Renner (who was nominated for his role) and Blake Lively, who gave a great performance with her small role as a drugged-up mother who needs some serious help. Expand
  16. Dec 27, 2010
    Ben Affleck's previous work, Gone Baby Gone, is center around Boston. And in The Town, Ben Affleck revisits his hometown to do nothing more than talk trash on it. He must've really hated this town because both of his movies portrayed nothing but evil of Boston. Nevertheless, The Town is beautifully directed, written with great wit, and acted with much style. The story centers around a bunch of bank robbers who have been successful at what they are doing. But the success comes to an end when Doug (Ben Affleck) decided to have a relationship with hostage Clairre (Rebecca Hall). As the relationship develops, Clairre finds out that Doug is a bank robber and it gets complicated. Meanwhile, Doug was having a casual sexual relationship with his friend's sister Krista (Blake Lively). Being jealous of Clairre, Krista decided to rat Doug and her brother's bank heist to the FBI resulting in a lot of stylized gun fires and great driving scenes. The end is obvious but it has a sad element that Ben Affleck wants the viewers to feel. Writing, acting, and directing the whole film, Affleck's got a lot on his table but still manages to pull off every single role. As a writer, along with two others, Affleck was able to collaborate his knowledge of the Boston language and the wit of actual screen writing. As a director, he was able to direct a great gun fire sequence and a stylish car driving scene. As an actor, Affleck's performance would place second behind Jeremy Renner's. The Oscar winner continues to boost up his already impressive career with The Town. Jeremy Renner isn't new to playing a **** yet violent guy, but he especially stood out here with his badass attitude. Blake Lively's role was small but she gave it her all. You couldn't see her cuss in a Boston accent and have sex with Ben Affleck in Gossip Girl, could you? Well, there's the other reason to check it out. While filled with much thrillers, the film also showed emotions. Helped by one of this year's best ensembled cast and stylish directing by Ben Affleck, The Town is an award-winning film. OscarBuzz: Best Picture (good chance for a nod, not win), Best Screenplay (guarantee a nod, good chance for win), Best Supporting Actor (Jeremy Renner, good chance for a nod and win) Expand
  17. Oct 25, 2010
    So far this is my favorite movie of the year. Though I'm not sure if that's saying much this year. It was so much better than what I expected. Affleck proves that he is a contender in the Director's chair. About the only negative is Jon Ham's borderline acting skills. This movie was compelling from start to finish. All the other acting was strong, including Affleck. But Affleck's true calling is directing. I look forward to seeing future movies from him. Expand
  18. Oct 23, 2010
    this movie was amazing.

ben affleck really has shown he can direct and that gone baby gone wasn't a one hit wonder

if theres any justice in the world Renner should get an oscar nomination
  19. Oct 22, 2010
    Who knew that Ben Affleck had such talent -- not only as an actor, but as a director? Considering how lousy most of this summer's movies were, I'm amazed that this excellent offering has scored only in the mid-70s. And, am I imagining it, or are most of the 7-or-lower reviews below a bit vague -- lame, even -- in comparison to those that praised the film? Me, I'm looking forward to Affleck's next project. Expand
  20. Oct 22, 2010
    It seems that most of us grow up with some version of the family business. Hollywood in itself is a prime example. The Barrymore name has been ever present as long as making movies has been a business. As a child is raised into the family business there comes the time to make the ultimate decision. Do you rebel and become something else? Or do you find comfort in the continuation of way of life? But what is a person to do if there is no way to rebel from the family business without dire consequences.

This is the theme explored in Ben Affleckâ
  21. Oct 17, 2010
    The movie was a little slow about 75% of the way through but that is the only complaint. Great cast. Fantastic story. Even better action. Might not be completely plausable but that is why it makes such a great movie. I would advise making plans to go see this.
  22. Oct 9, 2010
    "Ben Affleck Directs a stunning masterpiece , in this one of kind thrill to the min thriller , that will keep you on the edge of your seat, The Town is one of the best films of the year which include Oscar worthy performances from John Ham & Jeramey Renner" .. A-
  23. Oct 5, 2010
    This film only needs merely a sentence from me, and here it is. This is one of the best films of the year, and you must see it immediately; because not only is it epic, it is breath-stealing, fast-action, awesomeness.
  24. Oct 4, 2010
    Wow, this movie is an absolute 12!!! By far the best movie I've seen in 10 years. It's simply riveting. Run, don't walk, to see it. I smell an Oscar! We are going to see it again.
  25. Oct 1, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay Ben Affleck can direct and he's not bad as the lead in this. Some of you won't like the ending but no one got on anyone's case for the way Shawshank Redemption ended so chill out. This is one of those crime films that coaxes you into sympathizing with the crooks, you want them to get away, well at least a few of them. Depending on how much you know about Ben Affleck you might be able to detect a subtle autobiographical undercurrent smuggled into the plot. Just like his character, BA seems to have transcended his roots and left the unsavory aspects of his past behind him once and for all. Expand
  26. Sep 27, 2010
    After seeing Gone, Baby, Gone I had some expectations for this film and am happy to report it met or exceeded most of them. This film spends a lot of time in the gray areas where good guys aren't so nice and bad guys aren't so mean (sometimes.) That might sound like the standard anti-hero theme we've seen so much in Goodfellas, Sopranos, etc. but this film still managed to make a couple unexpected turns. Can't ask for much more than that. Expand
  27. dgr
    Sep 26, 2010
    A Brilliant Film - Jon Hamm and Jeremy Renner Deserve Oscars - Ben Affleck, Blake Lively, Pete Postlethwaite and Rebecca Hall also deserve recognition - Better than Heat - My Favourite Movie of the year so far - Unmissable!
  28. Sep 25, 2010
    Ben Affleck proves that he can not only act but direct too. He perfectly adapts the novel from which it is based and make into something interesting and entertaining to watch.
  29. Sep 23, 2010
    This is one best movies I have seen in years, though I did go in with modest expectations. Let's face it: Affleck has given us "Gone Baby Gone" and "Good will Hunting." But he also given us "Pearl Harbor" and "Gili."

Like "Hunting," Affleck is in his element in this movie and the writing could not be better. As a action suspense film, this script jumps off the screen seconds after the
    opening credits. The characters have depth but don't insist upon themselves. The feeling here is similar to Gone Baby Gone without the interruption of the ethical dilemma that movie had. It has the charm of Good Will Hunting but with a better mix of grace and grit.

There are some that will compare this film to "Heat" and that is apt. Except Heat was not as smart and tried to do too much by throwing every actor they could find into a movie with 17 plots instead of just perfecting one strong plot. This film has the intelligence to keep you guessing while allowing you to enjoy the simplicity of a scene.

The two make for a powerful movie.

1. A first-class genre entry stacked with dandy performances and some crackerjack action to boot.
    This second feature doesn't resonate with nearly as much power, but its suspenseful story of two generations of career criminals in the city's northerly Charlestown neighborhood has a similarly haunting quality.
  3. A rich, dark, pulpy mess of entanglements that fulfills all the requirements of the genre, and is told with an ease and gusto that make the pulp tasty.