7.9

1. DavidC.
    Dec 5, 2003
    One of the best animated series i have ever seen.
  2. W.O.
    May 26, 2004
    This was a great movie. Everything about it was unique and extremely interesting.
  3. JoeyM.
    Aug 22, 2004
    One of the strangest, most wonderful, silliest and (oddly enough) most moving films I've seen in years. Basically, it is the story of an extremely devoted grandmother trying her best to create a happy life for her bike riding grandson. The movie features one of the most realistic dogs ever portrayed on film, IMO. This includes many live action dogs. Anyhow, while this movie is not One of the strangest, most wonderful, silliest and (oddly enough) most moving films I've seen in years. Basically, it is the story of an extremely devoted grandmother trying her best to create a happy life for her bike riding grandson. The movie features one of the most realistic dogs ever portrayed on film, IMO. This includes many live action dogs. Anyhow, while this movie is not for everyone, I will go out on a limb and say that it is for nearly everyone. Just a last note - the ending does make sense. It ties back in with something else from earlier in the film. To say more would be to spoil it. Expand
  4. JonathanS.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Bizarre, amazing, entertaining. The perfect cure for the person who has seen too many movies.
  5. MatthewH.
    Feb 1, 2004
    Absolutely amazing movie. Not one line of dialogue the entire movie (with one exception), yet it made me laugh and cry and shake my head with wonder. It is a somber movie, couched in dilapitated, deserted, and drab environments, which can explain the few people here who have given it low ratings. I imagine they were looking for more spectacle, and less emotion.
  6. LouiseS.
    Feb 18, 2004
    I loved this movie. The animation was absolutely incredible. The film was sooooo French!
  7. JamesM.
    Jul 1, 2004
    The movie was weird and charming at the same time. I loved this cartoon. This is something I can appreciate.
  8. PaulH
    Oct 7, 2005
    Wonderfully strange, one of the most beautiful animated cartoons in years.
  9. MikeW.
    Jan 20, 2006
    Mesmerizing movie that sets you into the director's animated world , I almost wish i could live there.
  10. Harry
    Nov 17, 2008
    "The Triplets of Belleville" is one of the most charming, original and hilarious experiences I've ever had at a movie theater. It is a tribute to Silent movies but also a caricature of New York, Paris and Montreal. The animation simply tops anything Disney has ever made. How it didn't win best animated film at the Oscars is beyond me. This is one of the greats!
  11. alec
    Nov 24, 2004
    THE BEST ANIMATED FILM EVER! (since Yellow Submarine) Great music really hilarious and super creative. Who cares about the Josephine Baker scene. This should have been rated PG. This film should have won best animated film in 2003! It's a lot better thandn the terrible and horible film "Finding Nemo". Great job MR. Chomet!!
  12. JohnC.
    Feb 24, 2004
    I loved it. I don't know why, but I loved it. It is not for everyone and hardly for the majority. Don't go into this wanting Shrek or Finding Nemo, both very good movie don't get me wrong. I don't know why but I loved the people and the music. I was oddly and completly drawn to this grotesque piece of beauty.
  13. PrestonF.
    Feb 29, 2004
    A truly wonderful story, and amazing animation and music!
  14. CameronS.
    Apr 19, 2004
    I love this movie and I approve of all the joyful content within it.
  15. JaneI.
    May 14, 2004
    This is for those who love a quirky movie, but it is so much more. I was enthralled with the emotions and the imaginative visual interpretations. There was plenty of humor amid the drama - Bruno the dog was priceless.
  16. DavidL.
    May 7, 2004
    A visual feast. I was drawn in by this movie's charm and warmth. Just as impressive as the visual style of this film, though, is its sound editing. The spare economy of sounds that are heard throughout "Triplets" combined with great artwork by director Sylvain Chomet says more than a volume of dialogue could have ever done. Terrific film.
  17. EilidhM.
    Jun 5, 2004
    SUCH a beautiful film, so original! It's got a catchy tune and weird and wonderful animations! Sad and nice ^^ an amazing film, not to be frowned upon!
  18. TracyR
    Apr 1, 2005
    Totally unique and perfectly realized within it's own vision. How often can you say that? A total pleasure.
  19. VinceH.
    Apr 22, 2005
    Along with Miyazaki's "Spirited Away", this is the greatest animated movie I've ever seen. The rhythms and silent compositions reminded me of Jacques Tati. The music is beautiful and moving and I love the slow rhythm and silent scenes the best. I cannot rave about this movie much more (as you can see from my fragmented review). I get so emotional about it it's hard for me Along with Miyazaki's "Spirited Away", this is the greatest animated movie I've ever seen. The rhythms and silent compositions reminded me of Jacques Tati. The music is beautiful and moving and I love the slow rhythm and silent scenes the best. I cannot rave about this movie much more (as you can see from my fragmented review). I get so emotional about it it's hard for me to talk about it. Just rent it ASAP. Expand
  20. JackR
    May 28, 2005
    The best animation i've ever seen along with spirited away. I just wonder how they make such great animations! It's dialogue free yet manages to comunicate emotions (and the plot) brilliantly. Sad story but very funny and emotional with a happy ending. It's certainly a must see. I watched it will several other people and we were in fits of laughter. It's very abstract The best animation i've ever seen along with spirited away. I just wonder how they make such great animations! It's dialogue free yet manages to comunicate emotions (and the plot) brilliantly. Sad story but very funny and emotional with a happy ending. It's certainly a must see. I watched it will several other people and we were in fits of laughter. It's very abstract (in animation and plot). After reading some of the other comments I found that some people really hate it, i've learned that it's a love of hate animation. So original. Expand
  21. JustinS.
    Apr 27, 2006
    Wildly imaginative. Represents film making at its best, a terrific illustration of the power of visuals over mere words. The filmmakers set out to push the boundaries of traditional animation (with some help from computers) and succeeded brilliantly.
  22. BenjaminD.
    Nov 22, 2003
    Very good french animated movie... Definitely "fench" so clever, charming and funny !!!
  23. CalebT.
    Nov 27, 2003
    Best thing I've seen in a long long time. And I want to see it again. Its smart sweet and cynical.
  24. DougP.
    Jan 19, 2004
    Fantastic! Even more fun if you happen to be a cyclist!
  25. MatthewT.
    Jan 28, 2004
    Like the first Walt Disney features--"Snow White," "Fantasia" and "Bambi"--"The Triplettes of Belleville" is terrifying, grotesque, manic, eclectic, exhausting, filled with color, movement, and feeling, and meant for adults. Chomet appears to have seen each single frame of animation ever made, and then demolished everything and started from scratch. The story, like "Nemo's," centers Like the first Walt Disney features--"Snow White," "Fantasia" and "Bambi"--"The Triplettes of Belleville" is terrifying, grotesque, manic, eclectic, exhausting, filled with color, movement, and feeling, and meant for adults. Chomet appears to have seen each single frame of animation ever made, and then demolished everything and started from scratch. The story, like "Nemo's," centers on a parent's search for a kidnapped child, but while "Nemo's" is told from the point of view of the parent, focusing on parental anxiety, "Belleville's" is told from the point of view of the rescued child, and focuses on gratitude and love. A righteous triumph, it's made even more magnificent by its flaws. Expand
  26. JohnR.
    Feb 17, 2004
    Oh my! What an absolute visual, satirical delight Wjhat is the name of the musical theme? I can't get it out of my head. Don't miss this one!
  27. MikeL.
    Feb 17, 2004
    Apparently this is a love it or hate it movie. Well I loved it. I don't think that those who rated it a 2 were watching the same movie that I was watching. Chomet has the uncanny ability to pick up on and exaggerate the little things that people take for granted in life. If moronic movies like Torque, The Butterfly Effect, or Win a Date with Tad Hamilton is your idea of a Apparently this is a love it or hate it movie. Well I loved it. I don't think that those who rated it a 2 were watching the same movie that I was watching. Chomet has the uncanny ability to pick up on and exaggerate the little things that people take for granted in life. If moronic movies like Torque, The Butterfly Effect, or Win a Date with Tad Hamilton is your idea of a splendiferous moviegoing experience, then I wouldn't go see the Triplets of Belleville. If, on the other hand, you like to engage your brain and if you like artsy theaters where intelligent people gather, The Triplets is a must see. Expand
  28. KarenB.
    Feb 28, 2004
    Wonderful, odd trip. Its is everything that american film is not - eccentric, subtle, obtuse, and paced for the literate. A knowledge of jazz, film, animation, french history all add to the pleasure. The playful digs on french culture are delightfully on point. And the music will stay in your head for days. Refreshing to see hand animation again.
  29. BillyO.
    May 12, 2004
    An excellent movie. Not much talking, but it doesn't need it because the animation is incredibly fun to watch. A lot of the movie makes fun of America and it is hilarious. If you want to watch a quality movie that is a little different from most, watch this!
  30. DorianG.
    May 16, 2004
    This one is a real work of art. There's a lot of imagination in this movie.
  31. Olivia
    Aug 17, 2004
    A definite must see. I love this film those who don't appreciate are obviously not very open-minded.
  32. DeborahP.
    Aug 26, 2004
    Fast-paced, bizarre, atypical animation. Not your typical kiddie cartoon. This is for people who can appreciate the absurd.
  33. ChristianDeS.
    Nov 27, 2003
    Triplettes is just terrific - also thanks to the collaboration of Flemish animation players Vivi Film, Walking the Dog and ArtDog. Thanks to them pic got finished in time for Cannes this year. And they delivered some of the most stunning parts like the opening and signed for all the 3D work on the actual Tour de France scenes.
  34. Feb 9, 2011
    My favourite cartoon film of time. Beautiful art direction and animation, creative and original story, deep emotional undertones and symbolism. Amazing from start to finish. One of the most catchy theme songs of all time. Do yourself a favor and check this out
  35. KestynM.
    Jun 9, 2005
    This movie was so artistic, from design to production. The detail put into each character is amazing. There was so much effort put into sound effects, and digital effects. It was realistic, yet had the charm of being animated.
  36. RozE.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Great! At last, non-Disney animation! I have shown it to my students aged 13-16, and they remember it for years, and can describe its quirks, and distinctive visual style - fabulous! Who could forget the frogs, the musical 'instruments', the ship, the shape of the 'baddies', and those calf muscles! fantastic!
  37. JamesR.
    Mar 24, 2004
    Remarkably original, visually stunning.
  38. Smenkharon
    May 19, 2004
    The first movie in a long time to make me laugh without dialogue. Great animation, amusing characters and wonderful music. The cross ocean voyage was spectacular, with a perfect choice of music to complement the scene. This movie is not for the attention deficit generation!
  39. Iply
    May 29, 2004
    Yay! I still need the English Lyrics to the Belleville Rendezvous song, but hey... It was a great movie! ^_^
  40. JohnT.
    Aug 11, 2004
    The use of charicature in this film is amazing! The impossibly shaped people and vehicles, the subtle digs into America and our culture of obesity. It's also rare to see a story that can tell itself visually, and I feel this one accomplished it. Watch it, it has a happy ending.
  41. cm
    Jun 21, 2005
    Loved it! such an interesting flick.
  42. PuddlesMacintyre
    Dec 26, 2003
    Saw this today. What a wonderfully weird little animated movie. Told without dialogue, the story is truly bizarre and a pure screwball fantasy about kidnapped Tour de France cyclists and grandma and Bruno the dog's resuce attemps in the big fat American city of Belleville populated by big fat Americans. The Triplets are a musical sister act with a fixation for frogcicles and musical Saw this today. What a wonderfully weird little animated movie. Told without dialogue, the story is truly bizarre and a pure screwball fantasy about kidnapped Tour de France cyclists and grandma and Bruno the dog's resuce attemps in the big fat American city of Belleville populated by big fat Americans. The Triplets are a musical sister act with a fixation for frogcicles and musical refrigerators. Being a French movie, no French cliche and and stereotype is left unturned. The plot simply defies description . . . in a good way. Utterly unlike anything this animation freak has ever seen (sort of a cross between jazz-age disney shorts and Jeunet's "City of lost Children" combined with the Pink Panther cartoons), the film is a tour de force of hand-drawn cell-animation style and technique. Too obscure to win an oscar for best animated film against the Disney/Pixar juggernaut of "Finding Nemo", but this surreal little flick is sure to please adults much more. This movie deserves an audience. Expand
  43. SolC.
    Jan 22, 2006
    Brilliant.
  44. MojoP.
    Dec 28, 2007
    I was blitzed high when I watched this so perhaps I was all the more mesmerized, but I loved the dark and strange animation and storyline. It got your mind working; there were so many nooks and cranny's to each scene so much well layered imagery and a rather compelling plot that made everything work together as such a tight cohesive unit. For those who like mainstream culture this is I was blitzed high when I watched this so perhaps I was all the more mesmerized, but I loved the dark and strange animation and storyline. It got your mind working; there were so many nooks and cranny's to each scene so much well layered imagery and a rather compelling plot that made everything work together as such a tight cohesive unit. For those who like mainstream culture this is likely not for you, but for something different and truly unique that is well worth watching, pick this one up. Collapse
  45. Mar 4, 2012
    The Triplets of Belleville is the film that made Sylvain Chomet famous. It is a quaint and old-fashion tale about a grandma and her dog looking for her grandson, a bicyclist that is kidnapped from The Tour of France by the local mafia. He is taken to Belleville, which is a sort of Sin City, a mix between New York and Las Vegas. There the old lady will meet the Triplets, that now a day areThe Triplets of Belleville is the film that made Sylvain Chomet famous. It is a quaint and old-fashion tale about a grandma and her dog looking for her grandson, a bicyclist that is kidnapped from The Tour of France by the local mafia. He is taken to Belleville, which is a sort of Sin City, a mix between New York and Las Vegas. There the old lady will meet the Triplets, that now a day are outdated and forgotten by show business.
    This movie with poor dialogues and expressionist graphics, reach high levels of concepts that want to transmit: the pauper environments have caught the characters and take away from them the possibility of dreaming; this characters have to survive by any way, because the show business has failed; the human beings are represented with characteristics of animals and things, because they live in a materialistic society and are what they truly demonstrate; gathering everything it can be said that there is no escape from the reality.
    The Triplets of Belleville is a strange, but hilarious film. The direction is unique, the art direction is beautiful and the music is overwhelming, the Belleville Rendez-Vous is one of the best movie themes of all times.
  46. AmyC.
    Mar 10, 2009
    Delightfully weird and beautiful. The music is wonderful.
  47. CraigE.
    Fantastic!
  48. KevinE.
    Feb 7, 2005
    It's really unlike anything I have ever seen - dark, inventive, stunningly over-stylized imagery, a haunting tune. The chase scene is masterful. In the end it lacked the emotional connection we've come to expect from a cinematic catharsis, but it's the only film I've been drawn to see again a couple of days later. Haunting, with many whimsical moments - worth seeing.
  49. DevonS
    Apr 27, 2008
    The most imaginative animated feature film I have ever seen. Even Disney couldn't have done it any better.
  50. CraigE.
    Fantastic!
  51. BenjaminA.
    Jun 17, 2004
    This was super cool. That's all I have to say.
  52. ThaliaS.
    Aug 13, 2004
    Individuals who are sick and tired of just accepting the predictable and systematic shlop that big industry provides will want to see this film. ->Completely Unique.
  53. ChadS.
    Feb 28, 2005
    "The Triplets of Belleville" looks like the sort of cartoon that gets nominated in the Best Animated Short category at the Oscars. Apart from the politically incorrect depiction of an African-American cabaret singer being harassed by a pack of monkeys at the onset, this beguilling offering from France is a true adult offering because it never condescends to kids. Like "The Incredibles", "The Triplets of Belleville" looks like the sort of cartoon that gets nominated in the Best Animated Short category at the Oscars. Apart from the politically incorrect depiction of an African-American cabaret singer being harassed by a pack of monkeys at the onset, this beguilling offering from France is a true adult offering because it never condescends to kids. Like "The Incredibles", however, "The Triplets of Belleville" is flawed somewhat by an over-reliance on action in the third act, but the chase, a stock story element, is more than subverted by a lack of speed by chaser and chasee. A dialogue-free animated film is unthinkable for the major studios to ever entertain the possibility of attempting. "The Triplets of Belleville" at times, makes you believe you're witnessing a miracle. Expand
  54. WilliamS.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Certainly a visual marvel and also scores with a big heart.
  55. MikeN.
    Mar 5, 2004
    It's fun and definitely has a distinctive look. But to be honest, this is a 80 minute film with about the same content as one of the better episodes of "Family Guy" or "The Simpsons". And fewer laughs. I liked it and its extreme weirdness is worth something all by itself. But I don't see it as a real classic.
  56. BenjaminB.
    Aug 21, 2004
    Some really cool images and some cooly disgusting ones, but thin on plot and slow on pacing. Worth seeing, but not quite as good as they'd have you believe.
  57. RobF.
    Jun 23, 2004
    Superbly inventive animation and sound, but relentlessly grim, lacking even a single character for the audience to connect with. Bruno the dog felt uncannily real, but only through his bad habits. All the charicatures (that's not a typo) have stomach-churning habits and zombie-like expressions. If that sounds like your idea of fun, have at it.
    May 15, 2005
    Great animation but slow story.
  59. Nov 18, 2012
    There was little communication of warmth between mother and son. The son barely acknowledged her existence. Missing that emotional connection, I just couldn't fully connect to the film despite its great production levels
  60. RichardG.
    May 27, 2004
    Bizarre animation that provides little effect.
  61. KathleenS.
    Jan 4, 2005
    Triplets was oddly cold. There was no communication of warmth between mother and son. The son barely acknowledged her existence. Missing that emotional connection, I just couldn't love the film despite its great artistry, production and music.
  62. JeremyE.
    Apr 18, 2006
    This is the weirdest, quirkiest, and most pointless film of the year. It's imaginative and would make a great book, but as for a movie... I'll just be straight up, this movie was too weird for me to like. Others may like it though
  63. StephenD.
    Jul 18, 2004
    The animation was very good, but the story is pretentious and boring. There is no dialogue, and the ending didn't make sense. This movie is not nearly as good as the critics would have you believe.
  64. DavidK.
    Jul 8, 2005
    Uh, it's strange, for sure. Just don't take the little kids. Especially if they like frogs.
  65. Feb 17, 2013
    I didn't enjoy it. Not for a single second. Extremely depressing and confusing! I can not say if it is overrated or not (maybe i'm missing something about this movie, maybe i'm not) but with all my sincerity, i must admit i didn't like it.
  66. CarlosZ.
    Feb 18, 2004
    I really wanted to like this, but with the exception of the terrific opening sequence, a hot jazz song-and-dance number done in a faux-antique style, it's as slow as the Tour de France cyclists inching up the Pyrenees.
  67. JesseC.
    Jan 7, 2004
    Long and boring. There is no comedy other than a few humurous slapstick events. Don't waste the money on this one.
  68. Ted
    Feb 15, 2004
    Terrible. I left the theater with the same distaste I felt after seeing Punch Drunk Love. On the plus side, the animation was refreshingly different from the plastic-perfect world typically portrayed in American cartoons. It was not over soon enough.
  69. AlyssaH.
    Jan 26, 2004
    For being such a short movie (only 80 minutes long) it surely seemed to drag on. Though the animation was original and well done, the movie seemed taxing to watch. I left feeling horribly tired and emotionless. Could have easily been a 15 minute animated short instead of a feature film.
  70. NadimR.
    May 2, 2004
    Uber-pretentious garbage. the only good part of this movie was the catchy tune throughout. "it stinks!"
  71. RobertY.
    Feb 26, 2008
    Shame there isn't such thing as -1000. This is probably the most boring film i have ever see. ( i had to suffer this film in my French lesson) i nearly lost the world to live it is so lame and i thing the only use it has is to torture people. its like this film site gives all the bad films bad marks and the good films bad marks. whatever this website says i want you in most cases to Shame there isn't such thing as -1000. This is probably the most boring film i have ever see. ( i had to suffer this film in my French lesson) i nearly lost the world to live it is so lame and i thing the only use it has is to torture people. its like this film site gives all the bad films bad marks and the good films bad marks. whatever this website says i want you in most cases to think the opposite. Expand
  72. HenryS.
    Apr 29, 2004
    That was absolutely the worst movie i have ever seen... seriously if u thinks this movie is that good then i think that u have been watchin good qualty movies like u should.
  73. SimonC
    Nov 29, 2008
    This was unwatchably bad. My expectations for a good cartoon were completely and utterly dashed and I was left thinking that either the director or myself have some kind of thought disorder. Perhaps I am missing something but 'The Triplets' was so boring that the time I spent watching it was almost entirely wasted.

It's comic, touching and a visual knockout.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Triplettes is terrific…there's no competition for the fall's most imaginative delight. In that race, Triplettes can already take its victory lap.
  3. Children may enjoy it, aside from the youngest, who might find it too weird for comfort. Its main audience is adults, though. And not just any adults, but those in the mood for venturesome fare that's both surreal and hilarious.