7.9

1. DavidC.
    Dec 5, 2003
    One of the best animated series i have ever seen.
  2. W.O.
    May 26, 2004
    This was a great movie. Everything about it was unique and extremely interesting.
  3. JoeyM.
    Aug 22, 2004
    One of the strangest, most wonderful, silliest and (oddly enough) most moving films I've seen in years. Basically, it is the story of an extremely devoted grandmother trying her best to create a happy life for her bike riding grandson. The movie features one of the most realistic dogs ever portrayed on film, IMO. This includes many live action dogs. Anyhow, while this movie is not One of the strangest, most wonderful, silliest and (oddly enough) most moving films I've seen in years. Basically, it is the story of an extremely devoted grandmother trying her best to create a happy life for her bike riding grandson. The movie features one of the most realistic dogs ever portrayed on film, IMO. This includes many live action dogs. Anyhow, while this movie is not for everyone, I will go out on a limb and say that it is for nearly everyone. Just a last note - the ending does make sense. It ties back in with something else from earlier in the film. To say more would be to spoil it. Expand
  4. JonathanS.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Bizarre, amazing, entertaining. The perfect cure for the person who has seen too many movies.
  5. MatthewH.
    Feb 1, 2004
    Absolutely amazing movie. Not one line of dialogue the entire movie (with one exception), yet it made me laugh and cry and shake my head with wonder. It is a somber movie, couched in dilapitated, deserted, and drab environments, which can explain the few people here who have given it low ratings. I imagine they were looking for more spectacle, and less emotion.
  6. LouiseS.
    Feb 18, 2004
    I loved this movie. The animation was absolutely incredible. The film was sooooo French!
  7. JamesM.
    Jul 1, 2004
    The movie was weird and charming at the same time. I loved this cartoon. This is something I can appreciate.
  8. PaulH
    Oct 7, 2005
    Wonderfully strange, one of the most beautiful animated cartoons in years.
  9. MikeW.
    Jan 20, 2006
    Mesmerizing movie that sets you into the director's animated world , I almost wish i could live there.
  10. Harry
    Nov 17, 2008
    "The Triplets of Belleville" is one of the most charming, original and hilarious experiences I've ever had at a movie theater. It is a tribute to Silent movies but also a caricature of New York, Paris and Montreal. The animation simply tops anything Disney has ever made. How it didn't win best animated film at the Oscars is beyond me. This is one of the greats!
  11. alec
    Nov 24, 2004
    THE BEST ANIMATED FILM EVER! (since Yellow Submarine) Great music really hilarious and super creative. Who cares about the Josephine Baker scene. This should have been rated PG. This film should have won best animated film in 2003! It's a lot better thandn the terrible and horible film "Finding Nemo". Great job MR. Chomet!!
  12. JohnC.
    Feb 24, 2004
    I loved it. I don't know why, but I loved it. It is not for everyone and hardly for the majority. Don't go into this wanting Shrek or Finding Nemo, both very good movie don't get me wrong. I don't know why but I loved the people and the music. I was oddly and completly drawn to this grotesque piece of beauty.
  13. PrestonF.
    Feb 29, 2004
    A truly wonderful story, and amazing animation and music!
  14. CameronS.
    Apr 19, 2004
    I love this movie and I approve of all the joyful content within it.
  15. JaneI.
    May 14, 2004
    This is for those who love a quirky movie, but it is so much more. I was enthralled with the emotions and the imaginative visual interpretations. There was plenty of humor amid the drama - Bruno the dog was priceless.
  16. DavidL.
    May 7, 2004
    A visual feast. I was drawn in by this movie's charm and warmth. Just as impressive as the visual style of this film, though, is its sound editing. The spare economy of sounds that are heard throughout "Triplets" combined with great artwork by director Sylvain Chomet says more than a volume of dialogue could have ever done. Terrific film.
  17. EilidhM.
    Jun 5, 2004
    SUCH a beautiful film, so original! It's got a catchy tune and weird and wonderful animations! Sad and nice ^^ an amazing film, not to be frowned upon!
  18. TracyR
    Apr 1, 2005
    Totally unique and perfectly realized within it's own vision. How often can you say that? A total pleasure.
  19. VinceH.
    Apr 22, 2005
    Along with Miyazaki's "Spirited Away", this is the greatest animated movie I've ever seen. The rhythms and silent compositions reminded me of Jacques Tati. The music is beautiful and moving and I love the slow rhythm and silent scenes the best. I cannot rave about this movie much more (as you can see from my fragmented review). I get so emotional about it it's hard for me Along with Miyazaki's "Spirited Away", this is the greatest animated movie I've ever seen. The rhythms and silent compositions reminded me of Jacques Tati. The music is beautiful and moving and I love the slow rhythm and silent scenes the best. I cannot rave about this movie much more (as you can see from my fragmented review). I get so emotional about it it's hard for me to talk about it. Just rent it ASAP. Expand
  20. JackR
    May 28, 2005
    The best animation i've ever seen along with spirited away. I just wonder how they make such great animations! It's dialogue free yet manages to comunicate emotions (and the plot) brilliantly. Sad story but very funny and emotional with a happy ending. It's certainly a must see. I watched it will several other people and we were in fits of laughter. It's very abstract The best animation i've ever seen along with spirited away. I just wonder how they make such great animations! It's dialogue free yet manages to comunicate emotions (and the plot) brilliantly. Sad story but very funny and emotional with a happy ending. It's certainly a must see. I watched it will several other people and we were in fits of laughter. It's very abstract (in animation and plot). After reading some of the other comments I found that some people really hate it, i've learned that it's a love of hate animation. So original. Expand
  21. JustinS.
    Apr 27, 2006
    Wildly imaginative. Represents film making at its best, a terrific illustration of the power of visuals over mere words. The filmmakers set out to push the boundaries of traditional animation (with some help from computers) and succeeded brilliantly.
  22. BenjaminD.
    Nov 22, 2003
    Very good french animated movie... Definitely "fench" so clever, charming and funny !!!
  23. CalebT.
    Nov 27, 2003
    Best thing I've seen in a long long time. And I want to see it again. Its smart sweet and cynical.
  24. DougP.
    Jan 19, 2004
    Fantastic! Even more fun if you happen to be a cyclist!
  25. MatthewT.
    Jan 28, 2004
    Like the first Walt Disney features--"Snow White," "Fantasia" and "Bambi"--"The Triplettes of Belleville" is terrifying, grotesque, manic, eclectic, exhausting, filled with color, movement, and feeling, and meant for adults. Chomet appears to have seen each single frame of animation ever made, and then demolished everything and started from scratch. The story, like "Nemo's," centers Like the first Walt Disney features--"Snow White," "Fantasia" and "Bambi"--"The Triplettes of Belleville" is terrifying, grotesque, manic, eclectic, exhausting, filled with color, movement, and feeling, and meant for adults. Chomet appears to have seen each single frame of animation ever made, and then demolished everything and started from scratch. The story, like "Nemo's," centers on a parent's search for a kidnapped child, but while "Nemo's" is told from the point of view of the parent, focusing on parental anxiety, "Belleville's" is told from the point of view of the rescued child, and focuses on gratitude and love. A righteous triumph, it's made even more magnificent by its flaws. Expand
  26. JohnR.
    Feb 17, 2004
    Oh my! What an absolute visual, satirical delight Wjhat is the name of the musical theme? I can't get it out of my head. Don't miss this one!
  27. MikeL.
    Feb 17, 2004
    Apparently this is a love it or hate it movie. Well I loved it. I don't think that those who rated it a 2 were watching the same movie that I was watching. Chomet has the uncanny ability to pick up on and exaggerate the little things that people take for granted in life. If moronic movies like Torque, The Butterfly Effect, or Win a Date with Tad Hamilton is your idea of a Apparently this is a love it or hate it movie. Well I loved it. I don't think that those who rated it a 2 were watching the same movie that I was watching. Chomet has the uncanny ability to pick up on and exaggerate the little things that people take for granted in life. If moronic movies like Torque, The Butterfly Effect, or Win a Date with Tad Hamilton is your idea of a splendiferous moviegoing experience, then I wouldn't go see the Triplets of Belleville. If, on the other hand, you like to engage your brain and if you like artsy theaters where intelligent people gather, The Triplets is a must see. Expand
  28. KarenB.
    Feb 28, 2004
    Wonderful, odd trip. Its is everything that american film is not - eccentric, subtle, obtuse, and paced for the literate. A knowledge of jazz, film, animation, french history all add to the pleasure. The playful digs on french culture are delightfully on point. And the music will stay in your head for days. Refreshing to see hand animation again.
  29. BillyO.
    May 12, 2004
    An excellent movie. Not much talking, but it doesn't need it because the animation is incredibly fun to watch. A lot of the movie makes fun of America and it is hilarious. If you want to watch a quality movie that is a little different from most, watch this!
  30. DorianG.
    May 16, 2004
    This one is a real work of art. There's a lot of imagination in this movie.

It's comic, touching and a visual knockout.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Triplettes is terrific…there's no competition for the fall's most imaginative delight. In that race, Triplettes can already take its victory lap.
  3. Children may enjoy it, aside from the youngest, who might find it too weird for comfort. Its main audience is adults, though. And not just any adults, but those in the mood for venturesome fare that's both surreal and hilarious.