7.9

Mar 20, 2005
    I felt the film presented characters and story in a vacuum, with missing pieces that never come together. The neat resolution rings hollow and untrue and the score was truly annoying and manipulative.
  2. BobH.
    Apr 18, 2005
    [***SPOILERS***] Too stupid for words. A person is assumed to run away with his secretary and nobody attemps to contact the missing spouse or the police? Oops your dead sorry I hated you for three years. Gimme a break. Can she still collect on the life insurance? What idiot wrote this stuff?
  3. JohnH.
    Apr 24, 2005
    I could not figure out who deserved the dope slap the most . . . the characters or the writter of the screenplay. The ending helped raise it to a 4.
  4. Leroy
    May 14, 2005
    Great Acting - YES! Dumbest storyline of the year? Absolutely. The surprise ending completely ruined the movie. Just laughable.
  5. Georgie-Porgie
    May 8, 2005
    Great acting wasted in a moronic screenplay. Am I the only one that realizes that a spouse can't be missing and no one in the family reports it to the authorities? Dumb meets the dumbest of stories ever told. By the way Costner was very good and so was the incomprable Joan Allen. Too bad they had nothing to work with. Moronic story.
  6. T.M.
    Aug 1, 2005
    I hated this movie. Didn't anybody involved actually watch it before it was distributed? It was stupid, illogical, contrived, unbelievable, pretentious, pointless, overwritten yet underwritten, ridiculous, funny where it wasn't supposed to funny, unfunny where it was supposed to be funny, manipulative, misogynistic, repetitive, and just plain crap. Allen and Costner could not I hated this movie. Didn't anybody involved actually watch it before it was distributed? It was stupid, illogical, contrived, unbelievable, pretentious, pointless, overwritten yet underwritten, ridiculous, funny where it wasn't supposed to funny, unfunny where it was supposed to be funny, manipulative, misogynistic, repetitive, and just plain crap. Allen and Costner could not even redeem it. The most jaw-dropping scene -- which made me wonder if all involved were smoking crack -- was the wedding reception scene in which, after having a loud, angry argument with the "Shep Goodman" character, the Joan Allen character immediately switched emotional gears and began dancing happily and carefreely with the Kevin Costner character. That scene pushed this movie onto the list of the worst movies I've ever seen. And it's a shame, because themovie sounded great on paper. The screenwriter/director should have to toil on public access cable for the rest of his career, or be forced to watch this movie over and over and be shown how bad it is, because he obviously can't discern it. Expand
  7. stevenr.
    Aug 31, 2005
    Unwatchable after 15 minutes. so i gave it another 15. i didn't care at all about these self absorbed spoiled people. and then to find out joan allen was completely wrong about her husband. there are too many good films to watch, can't waste my time on this one.
  8. MaryC.
    Mar 27, 2005
    This is certainly one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time. It is manipulative, poorly written, poorly acted and has a plot twist that is a complete joke. The four actors (if you want to call them that) who play the sisters don't have a clue as to how to portray the intense relationships that exist between sisters. They don't seeme to love each other. They don't This is certainly one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time. It is manipulative, poorly written, poorly acted and has a plot twist that is a complete joke. The four actors (if you want to call them that) who play the sisters don't have a clue as to how to portray the intense relationships that exist between sisters. They don't seeme to love each other. They don't seem to even hate each other. There's just nothing there. And Jaon Allen, as much as I love her, is completely one dimensional in her role. I left the theater so incensed that I had wasted $20 and 2 hours of my precious time! Expand
  9. MarcK.
    Mar 30, 2005
    The reason why this wasn't released in December, Barry B, is because no one would go to the theatre to watch this swill. Great cast, awful everything else. Cliched and predictable. And as Pat G noted below, didn't anyone involved with the film realize that all the sisters were pretty much the same age? It's great to get attractive and well-known young actresses for a movie, The reason why this wasn't released in December, Barry B, is because no one would go to the theatre to watch this swill. Great cast, awful everything else. Cliched and predictable. And as Pat G noted below, didn't anyone involved with the film realize that all the sisters were pretty much the same age? It's great to get attractive and well-known young actresses for a movie, but if they're supposed to be sisters, there should be an age gap between them! Expand
  10. CorinneM.
    Apr 10, 2005
    This film is just one more that portrays middle aged women as total bitches. Add it to: Spanglish, Monster in Law and Dr. T and the Women as my least favorite films ever. Is this all good actresses have to look forward to as parts when they're aging? It could have been good.
  11. Fantasy
    Apr 12, 2005
    Joan Allen and Kevn Costner were very good as was Mike Binder formerly of "Married Man" on HBO. Having said that, the so called "twist ending" completely ruined the movie. How in the world can anyone in a longterm marriage assume the worst that your spouse ran off without a goodbye, or a note? Not only did he disappear without a trace, he left behind four beautiful daughters without a Joan Allen and Kevn Costner were very good as was Mike Binder formerly of "Married Man" on HBO. Having said that, the so called "twist ending" completely ruined the movie. How in the world can anyone in a longterm marriage assume the worst that your spouse ran off without a goodbye, or a note? Not only did he disappear without a trace, he left behind four beautiful daughters without a goodbye to even them? It's simply preposterous. You would think that one member of the family, a neighbor, a friend, a relative would suggest filing a missing person's report. The ending is so ludicrous that it turns a serious subject/drama into a farce. Drags in spots and Joan Allen plays a bitch so well, that only Kevin Costner could love. Avoid. Expand
  12. KenL
    Aug 6, 2005
    A big disappointment. Characters that are not likeble or engaging. A silly ending that makes no sense. And slow moving - I found myself checking the counter to see how much longer the movie had to go.
  13. ShannonP.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Costner is at his best, delivering a Bull Durham-esque performance and creating a character that is funny and lovable. But the plot twist at the end is like being slapped in the face and called an idiot for watching and believing for 90 minutes that this was a decent film.
  14. LaurenS.
    Oct 14, 2005
    Huge waste of 2 hours!
  15. EleanorW.
    Mar 25, 2005
    A story so full of holes that even the good acting can't hold it together.

The Upside of Anger belongs to Joan Allen (for whom director/screenwriter Mike Binder developed the project).
    A fiercely funny human comedy with jokes that sting and leave marks.
  3. Allen turns the character into a tour de force that unleashes an unexpected comedy about compassion and self-loathing.