8.8

1. Geordie
    Jul 8, 2002
    One of the best films I have ever seen. Is is a must to view it twice, if only to put the intricate pieces of the puzzle together for yourself! Spacey is fantastic.
  2. Robert
    Jan 6, 2003
    Very possibly the best movie I have ever seen.
  3. JackC.
    Jan 2, 2007
    One of my favorite movies of all time. Kevin Spacey gives an absolutely brilliant performance.
  4. MichaelF.
    Aug 7, 2001
    This is my all-time favorite! Great dialouge by Christopher Maguire, first rate directing by Bryan Singer! Spacey is unbelieveable, as well as everyone else! A must-see! Brilliance! Rare gem! Flawless!
  5. AndrewE.
    Jun 9, 2002
    Best. Movie. Ever. Sticks with you for a long time after.
  6. MichaelM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    This movie is my third favorite movie of all time. It is such a great movie, I can't even begin to explain how excellent this thriller is! Well, I'll try. The acting is absolutley brilliant! Great performances by Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Baldwin, Kevin Pollack, Chazz Palminteri, Benico Del Toro, Pete Postelwaithe, and especially Kevin Spacey in his best performance ever known to This movie is my third favorite movie of all time. It is such a great movie, I can't even begin to explain how excellent this thriller is! Well, I'll try. The acting is absolutley brilliant! Great performances by Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Baldwin, Kevin Pollack, Chazz Palminteri, Benico Del Toro, Pete Postelwaithe, and especially Kevin Spacey in his best performance ever known to screen, which won him his first Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in 1995. The directing is very creative with some neat camera angles. And the writing ... is OUTSTANDING!!! I'm not going to ruin the ending for any of you movies fans who haven't seen this wonderful masterpiece yet, but it is none other than pure genius! The way they sum up the ending is just perfect. This is a movie for mystery fans especially, as well as drama fans, thriller fans and pretty much everybody. This film deserved to win for Best Picture, but Braveheart did instead. This is the kind of movie that people really respect and love. I HIGHLY reccomend this to anyone. If you haven't seen this already, rent it as soon as you can. (14 February 2003) Expand
    Jun 1, 2006
    Brilliant. The music is hauntingly beautiful, the acting supurb and the storyline one that will never be surpassed. A movie you have to see twice and probably will quite never figure out. One of the greatest joys in life is sitting in the same room where someone is watching it for the first time. I could see this flick over and over again, and never tire of it even though I must have seen Brilliant. The music is hauntingly beautiful, the acting supurb and the storyline one that will never be surpassed. A movie you have to see twice and probably will quite never figure out. One of the greatest joys in life is sitting in the same room where someone is watching it for the first time. I could see this flick over and over again, and never tire of it even though I must have seen it fifteen times. Perhaps not the greatest film ever made, but it stands as my number one favorite in the mature audience viewing category. Expand
  8. MattS.
    Apr 10, 2001
    One of the few perfect films ever made.
  9. RyanM.
    May 28, 2001
    The best movie ever made. Period. With staggering performances by Del Toro, Spacey, Baldwin, Pollak, and Byrne, this movie has a genuine twist at the end that will terrify you.
  10. SarahS.
    Oct 21, 2002
    I would give it 11 if i could! The best film i've ever seen, an absolutely perfect work of art. Keeps you guessing till the very end.
  11. AnthonyM.
    May 13, 2002
    The best film I have ever seen. Perfect in every way and brings people back for at least a second viewing.
  12. NinjaMafia
    Oct 13, 2003
    My friend once told me about a movie, it was called the Usual Suspects. I said I would probally watch it but it probally wouldn't be that great. I was very wrong. The Usual Suspects is about a group of criminals, each specified in a certain field, brought together by a legendary criminal to do some dirty work. This legend is named Keyser Soze. The only problem is, Keyser Soze might My friend once told me about a movie, it was called the Usual Suspects. I said I would probally watch it but it probally wouldn't be that great. I was very wrong. The Usual Suspects is about a group of criminals, each specified in a certain field, brought together by a legendary criminal to do some dirty work. This legend is named Keyser Soze. The only problem is, Keyser Soze might not be real. A lawyer named Kobayashi tells the five criminals about this job by Soze and they unwillingly accept. The whole movie is about one man that survived from that mission, Verbal(Kevin Spacey). Verbal is a crippled man who was the only survivor of the deadly mission. One cop wants a story from him about one of his partners that the cops suspects is more than an ordinary criminal, maybe even relations with Soze. This movie started off kind of slow which turned me off at first. The film then gradually started to pick up and gave me the best ending of a movie I have ever seen. Actually, the ending pumped my score up to 10. The acting in this movie is really good... there was a lot of suspense in this movie, especially toward the very end of it. This movie is on my top five favorite movies of all time. Rewatching it really makes you respect it more. My only big problem with this movie is they didn't develop a few characters very well. Overall, this movie is highly recommendable but a lot of people will be turned off by the movies somewhat slow start. Expand
  13. JeffM.
    Nov 5, 2004
    What the hell is 76, are these guys sick or something this movie is the best movie of all time, the ending to this movie is so shocking that it makes you want to watch it again right then and there, you metacric guys don't know what you're talking about.
  14. S.Gold
    Dec 5, 2005
    Quite possibly the best film of all time, need more be said?
  15. RichH.
    Jun 30, 2005
    I love it when the perceptive, intelligent movie-viewing public gives it to snooty reviewers in the neck! This film is "the people's choice," by far my favorite movie ever and I am glad to see that I am not the only one. I've probably seen it fifty times or more, and there is no doubt I could put in the player right now and watch it all the way through, or any part of it, and I love it when the perceptive, intelligent movie-viewing public gives it to snooty reviewers in the neck! This film is "the people's choice," by far my favorite movie ever and I am glad to see that I am not the only one. I've probably seen it fifty times or more, and there is no doubt I could put in the player right now and watch it all the way through, or any part of it, and still be enthralled. How many movies can you say that about? This should be an object lesson for people who think you have to have star power or special effects to create suspense and excitement. Brilliant direction (get the DVD with the commentary + special features and find out how this was all worked out--it's astounding), unbelievable acting (from Kobayashi to Redfoot to that movie critic as smuggler--even the burned Hungarian in the hospital bed was effective!), wonderful cinematography/editing (plus the film editor also did a great soundtrack). And I've wanted to say this: everybody's on about Spacey and there's no doubt he's brilliant, but IMHO it is Chazz Palminteri who makes those Kujan/Kint scenes really work. Palminteri never gets the credit he deserves but in this film it is his heedless machismo posing that makes the perfect foil for Kint's (seeming) disjointed rambling. Ah, well...I only have another couple of thousand things I like :-), but let me just say: TUS looks exactly like what it is, a once in a lifetime artistic production, a labor of love that will be honored long after the dross on that pompous Ebert's annual top ten list has vanished from memory. Bravo. Expand
  16. AT
    Jul 30, 2005
    Two words - Mind blowing.
  17. JanC.
    Dec 7, 2007
    Maybe best film ever. Mayber Disneys Snowwhite is better.
  18. ND
    May 27, 2007
    Breathtakingingly superb! One to be watched again and again. As good as anything I have ever seen.
  19. allanr
    Dec 27, 2008
    One of the best endings ever. A true classic !
  20. ColeL.
    Nov 24, 2001
    This dazzling performance of actors and directing is the best out there. Bryan Singer did an excellent job, everything in this masterpiece was maturely done with spunk and character.
  21. OluwaseunA.
    Jul 13, 2002
    Best movie I have ever seen. It has you on the edge of your seat till the very last minute. Beautifully directed and excellent cast members. Except for the major profanity, I reccommend it 100%!!
  22. JoeD.
    Jul 29, 2003
    Best Crime movie of our time. The ending says it all...that's all you need to know!
  23. JonathanP.
    Jun 29, 2004
    Just proves beyond any doubt that Roger Ebert is an idiot.
  24. johnj.
    Mar 22, 2005
    This film is PURE magic!!This is quite simply a masterclass of screen-writing,acting,casting,directing etc.-it is just so UTTERLY,UTTERLY mesmerising every time you view it. Like fine wine it only improves with age. Actually a vote of 10 is not good enough for this film-it really is off the scale-that's how good it really IS. It is an absolute MASTERPIECE of a film and indeed people This film is PURE magic!!This is quite simply a masterclass of screen-writing,acting,casting,directing etc.-it is just so UTTERLY,UTTERLY mesmerising every time you view it. Like fine wine it only improves with age. Actually a vote of 10 is not good enough for this film-it really is off the scale-that's how good it really IS. It is an absolute MASTERPIECE of a film and indeed people of all hues-fans,film making community,critics etc will discuss this real GEM of a film for decades to come-millenia -even. It is as close to PERFECTION as any film maker can possibly hope to achive.This is undoubtedly a true classic in every sense of the word which will effortlessly withstand the test of time.T he amazing thing about this movie is that almost never got made. Thank God the tenacity & sheer determination of McQuarrie & Singer finally paid off. To shoot the entire film in JUST 35 days is absolutely ASTONISHING!!! It is just so mind-blowing what they have achieved on a budget of less than $5M dollars. INCREDIBLE!!! It is a magnamonious testament to the magnificent quality of the entire cast & crew. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing a certain Kevin Spacey to accect the role of Verbal Kint, collect his Academy Award, and like that...he's gone. Expand
  25. M.L.
    Dec 22, 2001
    Great. Great. Great.
  26. NateM.
    Nov 11, 2007
    I'm not sure why this movie would get lower than a 10? If you are one of those people who think the ending was less than an awesome perhaps you are also one of those people whom can't watch movies without ruining them for everyone else? And as far as what really happened in Verbal Kint's tale to the cops... does it really matter? Kaiser Soze was real. That's all you I'm not sure why this movie would get lower than a 10? If you are one of those people who think the ending was less than an awesome perhaps you are also one of those people whom can't watch movies without ruining them for everyone else? And as far as what really happened in Verbal Kint's tale to the cops... does it really matter? Kaiser Soze was real. That's all you need to know. Expand
  27. Sep 30, 2010
    One of (or the best) mystery/crime movies I have ever seen. The twists are much crazier than seven, such a satisfying movie. I freaking love this movie. Just don't read any spoilers/etc. Just watch it, it's good.
  28. Mar 3, 2011
    This is definitely the best movie I have seen so far with a great ending and that's why I 'm using the name of a character of the film!!! (Keyzer Soze)
  29. Oct 14, 2011
    Quite simply one of the best movies ever made. Kevin Spacey puts in a sensational performance and the supporting cast also do a great job of making it believable. One of my all time favourite films, and one of the best films ever.
  30. Jul 11, 2011
    A true classic, with one of the most brilliant climaxes in the history of film, The Usual Suspects will not fail to make your head spin. You have everything in this movie. Solid cast. Wonderful script. Great camera work. A true gem.

With Kevin Spacey leading the pack in his Academy Award winning performance, the acting in this film is very believable, and powerful. Your eyes will be glued to the film from the moment it begins, to the moment when your jaw hits the floor, in the end.

I would highly recommend this film to anyone and everyone who considers themselves a fan of movies. This is simply a must-see.
  31. Dec 31, 2011
    This movie isn't perfect in every sense, but I do believe it deserves a perfect score. Everything has a low-budget, early Tarantino-esque feel, which is good for two reasons: First, the story and acting have to carry the movie and they do so superbly. Secondly, the aura of simplicity adds to the feel of realism: instead of special effects and sleekness, one gets to feel as if there, withThis movie isn't perfect in every sense, but I do believe it deserves a perfect score. Everything has a low-budget, early Tarantino-esque feel, which is good for two reasons: First, the story and acting have to carry the movie and they do so superbly. Secondly, the aura of simplicity adds to the feel of realism: instead of special effects and sleekness, one gets to feel as if there, with the characters. Without spoiling too much, I can say that this is one of the cleverest movies I've ever seen. So many details add together in subtle ways, allowing the viewer to slowly but surely come to conclusions just seconds before the characters do too. It never feels forced or obvious, yet the director manages to guide us through a mental maze. Apart from Spacey who is sublime, I believe that Byrne and Palminteri both diserve lots of credit, even though Palminteri's character has little depth, the actor plays the role to it's full potential, secretly enabling the story to go the way it goes. Overall, it's not a movie everyone will find fantastic, but if you're into the criminal heroes / messing with your mind kind of thriller, boy, are you in for a ride. Expand
  32. Aug 10, 2013
    This film is just great. Great crime/gangster film but also so much more. Thrills, suspense, good acting, great script and very clever. I do believe that everyone should try and see this film.
  33. Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not that much into cops and robbers and gangster movies, but this one was really good so even I like this one. It is a very well told story with an ending you will not see coming. You definitely should see this movie at least once.
  34. Nov 15, 2012
    It's fantastic from start to finish, and the twist at the end will blow your mind. An American crime classic.
  35. Nov 28, 2012
    With a brilliantly developed plot, excellent performances and provocative imagery, "The Usual Suspects" remains an absolutely stunning crime thriller.
  36. Mar 10, 2013
    Bryan Singer provides an outstanding before I went to make superhero films movie that is strongly written and also provides the best Spacey performance ever.
  37. Mar 13, 2013
    The Usual Suspects is a classic crime film that will bring you in and not let you go until the final twisted and unexpected climax. With the combination of Brian Singer's directing and Kevin Spacey's acting this is truly a great film. Hang on, The Usual Suspects is one hell of a ride.
  38. Aug 21, 2013
    I really don't know where to start from. It's obviously one of the best films ever made and one of my favorites and it has like the very best twist I have seen in my life and I have seen a lot of films with great twists. The twist is even better than Prestige's one. At the beginning the film is a little overcomplicated but when you start realizing what is happening you will not want toI really don't know where to start from. It's obviously one of the best films ever made and one of my favorites and it has like the very best twist I have seen in my life and I have seen a lot of films with great twists. The twist is even better than Prestige's one. At the beginning the film is a little overcomplicated but when you start realizing what is happening you will not want to pause that film for any reason. It has action and suspense. It has everything that a film like that should have. It has great actors and an excellent storyline. The whole movie is interesting. I don't know what else to say just watch that movie and you will understand my words... It's a perfect masterpiece! Expand
  39. Aug 24, 2013
    One of the most original and surprising films. Kevin Spacey nails his oscar as this enigma Verbal Kint. The ending is one of the biggest shocks in cinema. It takes more than two and two to get the ending. If you don't believe me, then GIVE ME THE F***ING KEYS YOU F***ING C*****KER, MOTHER****A!!!
  40. Feb 15, 2014
    "The Usual Suspects" runs second to "The Sixth Sense" for one of those movies you will enjoy watching more the second time. I won't give anything away, but there is not one but two twists you won't see coming. And for that sole purpose is a reason to watch this movie. Also, Kevin Spacey might be another reason.
  41. chw
    Sep 14, 2014
    DAMN! This movie was incredibly extraordinarily awesome! Just because of the ending, everyone who hasn't seen this HAS GOT TO see this movie. Everyone'll love it!
  42. May 1, 2014
    the usual suspect is the best mystery movie I ever saw, the plot twist of the film was actually great and so magnificent, I have watching this film for several times and the film was hitting me up with the mind twisting story, I love this film!
  43. Jan 15, 2015
    This is arguably the greatest Mystery/Thriller of all time. The way the twist at the ending puts the whole movie together, and the little piece of the end which throws you off track. It is overall brilliant.
  44. MikeN.
    Aug 9, 2003
    Spacey's performance is remarkable----- on the best individual performance's in the history of cinema. And the last half of the movie is truly great, with superb tension and a sense of inevitability that makes it endlessly rewatchable, even after you know the ending. But unfortunately the first half of the movie just isn't that great. It's slow, not especially well Spacey's performance is remarkable----- on the best individual performance's in the history of cinema. And the last half of the movie is truly great, with superb tension and a sense of inevitability that makes it endlessly rewatchable, even after you know the ending. But unfortunately the first half of the movie just isn't that great. It's slow, not especially well acted and doesn't have much to do with the ending. But none the less a must see. Expand
  45. AndrewM.
    Jul 5, 2004
    I have never experienced a better drop-jaw, landmine, smack-in-the-face ending than the one this film delivers. It's especially effective for those not expecting it and luckily for me I wasn't, so I really got the full impact the Writer and Director had obviously intended! I liken it to the controversial (some would say criminal) yet brilliantly ingenious ploy the great Agatha I have never experienced a better drop-jaw, landmine, smack-in-the-face ending than the one this film delivers. It's especially effective for those not expecting it and luckily for me I wasn't, so I really got the full impact the Writer and Director had obviously intended! I liken it to the controversial (some would say criminal) yet brilliantly ingenious ploy the great Agatha Christie used in her masterpiece novel The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd. If you have read it, you know what I'm talking about, and this film employs a similar masterstroke. That's not to say it has the same twist - it's just equally brilliant. This is a taut and trim thriller that will please more than it will disappoint, as long as you can handle a little mild profanity :-o Expand
  46. ArmandoA.
    Feb 19, 2006
    The only thing that keeps me from giving this a 10 is the fact that the impression that this movie gives you the first time you see is never the same (once you know the ending). I will never forget that first experience though. One of the best movies out there.
  47. May 24, 2013
    As the movie opens five well known criminals are rounded up and questioned as to their involvement in the hijacking of a truck full of guns. No one cracks and as the men sit together in jail they hatch a plan for an elaborate diamond heist.

The story is told in the past tense by one of the five men, Verbal Kint, as he sits across from a detective trying to uncover what happened during the attempted heist. This provides a unique twist in that not everything Kint describes is necessarily accurate or true and keeps the viewer constantly guessing as to the true nature of his involvement.

Featuring a fantastic cast The Usual Suspects features a plethora of interesting and entertaining characters, none more so than Kint himself and by the time the movie reaches its fantastically clever finale most viewers will realise they have just watched a cinematic masterpiece.
  48. Oct 3, 2012
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist - What an appropriate utilization of Charles Baudelaire's quote. First of all, hats off to Bryan Singer's outstanding direction, Christopher McQuarrie's confusing and thrilling screenplay and Kevin Spacey's remarkable and an Oscar-deserving performance which made the film too freaking awesome. I can't beginThe greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist - What an appropriate utilization of Charles Baudelaire's quote. First of all, hats off to Bryan Singer's outstanding direction, Christopher McQuarrie's confusing and thrilling screenplay and Kevin Spacey's remarkable and an Oscar-deserving performance which made the film too freaking awesome. I can't begin to appreciate the surprise Bryan Singer has managed to deliver to us. The mystery, the neo-noir elements, the puzzles and the way all the pieces are put together in the climax are just marvellous. I don't know why Roger Ebert found this movie confusing and gave it such a low rating (He did the same with Fight Club, starring Edward Norton and Brad Pitt). The plot is confusing, yes, but it's something really unusual and astounding and that's what makes this film so exciting. Although, the characterization is limited and there are a few possible plotholes as well. Those plotholes aren't explained properly but you can easily ignore them since they don't have anything to do with the real story. What I really like about this movie is that once you have started watching it, it will keep you interested. You might also find it difficult to follow the characters and the plot at some points but keep your mind and eyes open and you will be finally able to understand everything. Long story short, even with the limited characterization and confusing screenplay, The Usual Suspects is a classic and remarkable neo-noir thriller that you are definitely going to love and appreciate. So, don't miss it. Expand
  49. Feb 5, 2014
    Wow. This film is fantastic. Kevin Spacey and cast, as expected, are phenomenal. It lulls you into thinking you know how it will wrap up and then completely flips around. It is a tad hard to follow at the beginning, but wow does it ever pay off. Great film.
  50. Jan 9, 2013
    At least the end gets your adrenaline flowing ... the feelings for this little, crippled man who convinced the police about a crime that never happend. But how did the things, that really happend, happen? The geniusly confusing storyline and the amazing climax make you forgetting that this film is literaturally pointless because nothing pictured did actually happen ...
  51. Jan 7, 2013
    The Usual suspects is a smart well scripted. directed and, acted picture that is a classic for a reason. It has a twist ending that completes the movie precisely and the editing leaves nothing to be desired, it explains the storyline in full. Fantastic.
  52. Apr 21, 2014
    A great thrilling movie. Great acting by all with a stand out performance by Kevin Spacey. The action was great in this film was awesome. And the way the stories were really cool and well done. And then the ending came and holy I can honestly say I didn't see that one coming that's all I am going to say so that I don't give anything away.
  53. Mar 10, 2015
    The Usual Suspects contains a great narrative with memorable characters in an exciting crime drama. It's incredibly smart, extremely entertaining, and contains one of the greatest movie plot twists of all time.
  54. Sep 24, 2010
    this film was fantastic i loved the neonoir affect would highly reccomend watching this film my only negative feedback is the ending the twist in the film was over rated the film was famous because of its ending but the ending wasnt really for me
  55. Sep 27, 2011
    "The Usual Suspects" has a misleading storyline with limited settings applied throughout the movie. However, it is Brian Singer's clever direction associated with a two-face performance by Kevin Spacey that made the Climax of the movie possible.
  56. Aug 28, 2012
    Hard to say why, but I enjoy this movie time and time again. I would have liked to see a bit more character development, but then again I think it's great this movie can fit it all in in less than two hours.
  57. Oct 31, 2013
    Does not waste any time at all. Every minute is utilized to set up suspense and action. And when we reach the climax, everything suddenly becomes ambiguous. You are not sure about what really happened, just about the things that matter the most. Kevin Spacey acts splendidly. The first time I watched it the plot twist at the end made me a fan of the movie. But not so much on the secondDoes not waste any time at all. Every minute is utilized to set up suspense and action. And when we reach the climax, everything suddenly becomes ambiguous. You are not sure about what really happened, just about the things that matter the most. Kevin Spacey acts splendidly. The first time I watched it the plot twist at the end made me a fan of the movie. But not so much on the second viewing after a gap of eight years. Frankly, apart from the awesome ending, it wasn't a very great script_ just a nicely plotted crime thriller but not very special. But I truly believe that everyone should watch it at least once, and don't talk about it before doing that because some smart-ass may spoil it for you. Expand
  58. Jun 25, 2014
    Admittedly this movie starts off very slowly. The first 45 min are not very interesting and at times I found myself checking my emails instead of watching the film. However about half way through the movie it starts to get really interesting. Furthermore, the ending is one of the best I've ever seen.
    Just watch it. It's great.
  59. PatC.
    Jan 6, 2004
    Elements of the story line and supporting character roles are hard to follow. On the other hand, the confrontation between intuitive law enforcement and unflappable mythical criminal is pulled off without a clue right to the end. A flawed but memorable show.
  60. RDalvi
    Mar 7, 2006
    Intelligent film. Excellent performances by Kevin Spacey, Chazz Palminteri. Stephen Baldwin surpises with a cool performance. Because of it Is aw many crime thrillers like Man On Fire, Se7en and Fight Club. Only the script has a couple of loose ends. Also leaves some questions unanswered. Even then an intelligent and gritty thriller with a superb ending. McQuarrie is a brilliant writer Intelligent film. Excellent performances by Kevin Spacey, Chazz Palminteri. Stephen Baldwin surpises with a cool performance. Because of it Is aw many crime thrillers like Man On Fire, Se7en and Fight Club. Only the script has a couple of loose ends. Also leaves some questions unanswered. Even then an intelligent and gritty thriller with a superb ending. McQuarrie is a brilliant writer and Singer a brilliant director. Expand
  61. Jul 9, 2014
    I have to agree with ryancarroll88. The twist ending is certainly a shocker but it pretty much flaws the entire film and makes you question if any of it was real. Still a solid movie though and certainly, at least some-what, lives up to the hype around it.
  62. Jul 11, 2013
    A little sluggish at first, but the second half is superb. The film is clever, but the ending is obvious and it has a few loose ends. None of this stops it from being entertaining, but this is no classic.
  63. YoonC.
    Sep 21, 2003
    Pale when compared to the brilliantly economical and tightly constructed Reservoir Dogs. This movie's drunken swaggering style lacks the necessary discipline to imperceptively derail us from our path to truth. When the surprise ending comes, it feels less like a revelation than coming out of a hangover. Empty characterizations, zero psychology, just actors' exercise gone Pale when compared to the brilliantly economical and tightly constructed Reservoir Dogs. This movie's drunken swaggering style lacks the necessary discipline to imperceptively derail us from our path to truth. When the surprise ending comes, it feels less like a revelation than coming out of a hangover. Empty characterizations, zero psychology, just actors' exercise gone haywire. A mess. Expand
  64. Aug 27, 2010
    The movie that is best known for its surprise ending, and if it has not been spoiled for you already, it will literally take your breath away. But when the ending of a film falsifies everything you have just watched, as a viewer you have to question the validity of the first 90 minutes of the movie. I dare you to watch this movie more than two times and still have it impact you.
  65. Aug 9, 2012
    Great acting from spacey but rough plotting and a mystery that is not very well presented or interesting cannot even be saved by the films twist. Not a very memorable film.
  66. Nov 7, 2012
    I was very excited to revisit what I considered one of my top 50 or so films after a few years. I have to say it was more than a little disappointing. I do understand why people, including myself, have become so attached to this movie. Spacey's performance is fantastic, the reveal at the end of the film is still exciting and fun, and there are some very memorable, quotable lines. What II was very excited to revisit what I considered one of my top 50 or so films after a few years. I have to say it was more than a little disappointing. I do understand why people, including myself, have become so attached to this movie. Spacey's performance is fantastic, the reveal at the end of the film is still exciting and fun, and there are some very memorable, quotable lines. What I forgot about are some of the problems with this film, and they are numerous. First of all for a thriller this movie spends a whole lot of time with nothing going on. While most of the performances are ok, I still have no idea what they were doing with Del Toro's accent. The score is pretty poor. Once the final reveal happens there are countless plot holes that will never be explained. While I still like this movie based on the two strongest aspects of the film, and will probably revisit it again in a few years. I will not recommend this movie as strongly the next time it comes up with someone who has never seen it. Expand
  67. Apr 6, 2013
    I'm not gonna say that this movie is overrated cause that gonna make me look like a hater which I'm not cause i like Kevin Spacey movies but i actually have couple things i need to criticize.
    first of all Stephen Baldwin can't act at all which is a movie destruction itself cause he took a special part in the movie Chazz Palminteri is a bad face for this movie and also Gabriel Byrne is not right for the part so after all that being said i think that there is something wrong with this movie and it could be a lot better than this after all i think that whoever selected the actors for the parts did an insulting job and kinda ruined the entire idea.
  68. Mar 30, 2015
    Of course, the solution to the convolutions of "The Usual Suspects" is cleverly devised and chillingly acted by the duplicitous acting wizardry of Kevin Spacey in an iconic two-faced portrayal - its reputation precedes it, as one of the most inspired acts of pulling the rug out from under the feet of the audience in the history of film. If anything, it is this climatic stroke of geniusOf course, the solution to the convolutions of "The Usual Suspects" is cleverly devised and chillingly acted by the duplicitous acting wizardry of Kevin Spacey in an iconic two-faced portrayal - its reputation precedes it, as one of the most inspired acts of pulling the rug out from under the feet of the audience in the history of film. If anything, it is this climatic stroke of genius which kills the film. If only the rest of it had been half as good as those last few moments. What comes before that ending is largely forgettable, dull and, by virtue of the ending, obsolete. Of a 108-minute movie, about 8 are worth watching. That is not the signal of a great film - rather one overwhelmed by its own ambitions, with a reach that far exceeds its grasp. Expand
  69. JR.
    Apr 15, 2007
    I'm not sure whats so great about this movie. It really didn't hold my attention for what ever reason and I found the plot pretty bland. It annoyed me as it tried to be intelligent and suprising when I didnt really think it was. Clearly a lot of people liked it so I wish I could see what they saw.There is really nothing I 'did not get' in this mvie and I'm I'm not sure whats so great about this movie. It really didn't hold my attention for what ever reason and I found the plot pretty bland. It annoyed me as it tried to be intelligent and suprising when I didnt really think it was. Clearly a lot of people liked it so I wish I could see what they saw.There is really nothing I 'did not get' in this mvie and I'm wondering where the layers of depth in the plot are. Expand
  70. Aug 25, 2011
    An ugly word that often gets unfairly tossed around in film criticism is manipulative. This word seems like sudden death for any movie, and is often used to describe a film that tries to play to the emotions of its audience. A more accurate way of using this term is a film that has little confidence in what it does and simply tries to throw things at the audience, hoping for validity. TheAn ugly word that often gets unfairly tossed around in film criticism is manipulative. This word seems like sudden death for any movie, and is often used to describe a film that tries to play to the emotions of its audience. A more accurate way of using this term is a film that has little confidence in what it does and simply tries to throw things at the audience, hoping for validity. The Usual Suspects is a great example. While it certainly does paint an interesting picture, the characters are stock, and without interesting play between the players, it over compensates with plot twists and story holes, mixed rather uninspired interrogation scenes. There is little to enjoy in The Usual Suspects other than trying to put together its story, and once you do that you realize it is not even an interesting story, but simply feeds the audience so little, that there is little payoff to learning the surprises. Expand
  71. Aug 30, 2014
    Don't really get the point of seeing this kind of entertainment movie, not to mention one that you immediately figured out from the VERY beginning the biggest "suspense" that it tries to keep. You learn nothing. What a total waste of time.

1. A near-classic blend of mystery, personality, humor and terror, laced with one stunning shock after another. [18 August 1995, Friday, p.C]
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    Look out for everything, and listen, too, because Suspects is one of the most densely plotted mysteries in memory.
    Dense, ironic and thoroughly engrossing caper melodrama.