Paramount Home Video | Release Date: April 21, 2000
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 116 Ratings
WATCH NOW
RyanM.Jun 6, 2001
A Haunting and hypnotic piece of genuine film. Interesting all the way. I loved it.
EsterV.Apr 3, 2002
John M. is stupid and can't see the deeper lines of the movie. The movie has an unbelievably mysterious and fascinating ending and story. It makes you think about a lot!
TripAug 10, 2004
The movie quickly draws you in and leaves you thinking. the whole feel of the movie is quite haunting, and the actors portrayed this perfectly.
LaurenL.Mar 3, 2002
This was an awesome movie...it definitely deserves a 10!!!
JennyN.Mar 8, 2002
I love this movie, soundtrack and book best of all.
BlakeT.May 24, 2002
Incredible.
JimJul 28, 2002
Simply astonishing.
PamN.Aug 2, 2002
This mvie (I admit) was really weird, but it was so good. The music in the movie was great too.
SabrinaA.Jan 4, 2003
This movie was absolutely amazing this movie can totally relate with teens lives but Kirsten(Lux) Should not have... [Spoiler Omitted] She is to much of a role model girls are going to follow in her foot steps.
RobertMay 3, 2003
This is an excellent movie. The acting is great, and the plot is enthralling. I haven't seen many movies that are quite as haunting and tragic as this.
A.E.Aug 16, 2004
Increadibly beautiful film. the rising tension that results from the title events contrast tragically with the sweet light that shines from each sister's face. it was damning and hopeful at the same time. i wept when i realized the Increadibly beautiful film. the rising tension that results from the title events contrast tragically with the sweet light that shines from each sister's face. it was damning and hopeful at the same time. i wept when i realized the gravity of the film's accomplishment. amazing. Expand
AnthonyZ.Jan 25, 2001
Haunting, sophisticated, captures part of the ephemeral experience of adolescence.
BettyJun 23, 2002
This movie is the best!! It is funny and sad at the same time and it makes you think. All the actors are fabulous!! The musik is really good too. A movie you should not miss! It is something special, really!
TaraL.Jun 9, 2002
Breathtaking.
GillianM.Dec 25, 2001
This movie was truly indulging...the portrayal of the book was impeccable!
G13Dec 14, 2002
Haunting. You won't be able to get this film out of your head.
LeslieH.Dec 31, 2002
Haunting.
NicoleK.Apr 11, 2002
The Best movie. Might push a suicidal person over the edge. It somewhat glorifies suicide, yet the themes are real, the cineamatography is excellent.
MichaelM.Apr 21, 2002
Best Movie I have seen the last time!!!! Great Story, actors and especially fanatstic music!!!
MitchH.Jul 18, 2002
This movie was absoulty amazing. The acting and story telling was superb. I am glad to see that Sophia Coppola made such a great film. I can't wait to see more of her films.
GeorgieR.Jul 21, 2002
As close to perfect as a film can be...touchingly sad. What Sophia Coppola lacks in acting abilaty, she more than makes up for it with her performance behind the lens.
ErinJul 27, 2002
Incredibly well written. Descriptions throughout the movie were wonderfully poetic. A superb movie. I would recommend anyone to see.
CandiM.Feb 11, 2003
This is a crzy but very good movie!
KingmushMar 13, 2011

Not sure what I expected going into this movie. The nexflix description made it seem like a group of guys obsessing over these girls who then committed suicide. Pretty straightforward right? Wrong..well sort of. This movie tells the story of five sisters who ultimately commit suicide. But the movie never really comes out and says why and the boys obsessing part, while it is a big part, isn't as direct in their suicides as was implied. Don't get me wrong, the story was great as was this movie. The art direction they took with it was pretty spectacular and unique. It is told from the group of guys but in their adult years looking back on the events as if they were at a High School reunion but also there are scenes where it looks like the girls are really happy and all is well and then something terrible comes along. It all ties in together with the atmosphere of the movie and is very compelling.

So if you want sort of an indie weird flick, I'd go with this one. It's classified as romance I think on netflix but it is far from it in my opinion and instead focuses on the teenage drama of five girls as they cope with whatever unknown problems they have.
burntoemergeJul 4, 2011
the movie is supposed to make you feel unsatisfied and empty.
viewers end up feeling exactly like the neighbourhood boys, and like the girls
its genius and haunting..
RobinsNestMar 12, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A tale of lost innocence-for the boys. I didn't find out enough about the girls to really understand how difficult it can be growing up. I did get insight about Lux and a little about Cecelia? the youngest. But the rest of the girls and mother remain a mystery. I saw a little about the goofy dad. It works as a metaphor but not as a story. No one was concerned about the girls, no officials; why weren't the police out searching for Lux after she did not return home, all night? Those parents would not have gone to bed until all their little girls were in; mom was an insomniac. So some flaws that I overlooked because this film is not about the plot or story itself, but in the telling. As usual I'm sure the book is better. Still I was drawn to it. It could've been an "A" film but I give it a B, maybe a B+; almost there, but a few too many flaws. Expand
GreatbealloJan 27, 2012
In Sophia Coppola's directorial debut we are witness to a series of tragic events that take place in a quiet suburban neighborhood in the 1970s. Based on the spectacular book by Jeffrey Eugenides, and featuring the music of Air, this movie isIn Sophia Coppola's directorial debut we are witness to a series of tragic events that take place in a quiet suburban neighborhood in the 1970s. Based on the spectacular book by Jeffrey Eugenides, and featuring the music of Air, this movie is perfection. It is a hauntingly beautiful depiction of young love and the pains of shattered expectations. Expand
SpangleDec 21, 2014
A very interesting teenage/pseudo coming of age drama, The Virgin Suicides has its strengths and weaknesses. First off, the acting is great from all the kids and adults, though I do not know if I am buying Kirsten Dunst as a 14 year old here.A very interesting teenage/pseudo coming of age drama, The Virgin Suicides has its strengths and weaknesses. First off, the acting is great from all the kids and adults, though I do not know if I am buying Kirsten Dunst as a 14 year old here. Just saying. Great acting and fit the beauty required for the role, but having been 14, I can confirm no 14 year old looked like that when I was 14. Anyways, the film is gently directed by Sofia Coppola and she handles the sensitive subject matter very well. The story is very interesting and very well told. I like the handling of the narration, as well. Narration can sometimes feel unnatural, but it felt like that was the only way to tell this story and it never really messed with the flow of the film. In fact, it really helped the flow of it. Ultimately, the film has a very distant and melancholy feel to it, which really helps drive home the story and really makes it hit you. However, that same distance can prevent you from getting into the film. You feel as if you are arm's length away from the film and prevented from getting any closer. In the context of the film, this can be effective, but in terms of pure enjoyment, this film would benefit from a feeling of intimacy that would really pull the viewer in. Regardless, The Virgin Suicides is a good film that tells this depressing story and makes it feel almost dreamlike and beautiful in a really twisted way. Expand
emalloveDec 4, 2016
Tragedy wins the day in this haunting melodrama. A coming of age story where nobody comes of age. Great soundtrack for yacht rock nostalgia. The Lisbon girls are cute, popular, and self-annihilating - a subtle glamorization of teenage suicide.
wagaJan 7, 2015
I thought that the portrayal of the actions of the boys was honest because I could relate to it, and because if I was in their shoes, I would have in the same way wanted to help the girls, in the same way would have been unable to do so, andI thought that the portrayal of the actions of the boys was honest because I could relate to it, and because if I was in their shoes, I would have in the same way wanted to help the girls, in the same way would have been unable to do so, and in the same way would have done what I could. Expand