7.7

1. Feb 23, 2014
    Esta pelicula me gusto mucho, tuvo drama."The Virgin Suicides" es una pelicula confusa, rara y dificil de entender, con misterios y un argumento extra├▒o, eso la hace una buena pelicula.
  2. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A tale of lost innocence-for the boys. I didn't find out enough about the girls to really understand how difficult it can be growing up. I did get insight about Lux and a little about Cecelia? the youngest. But the rest of the girls and mother remain a mystery. I saw a little about the goofy dad. It works as a metaphor but not as a story. No one was concerned about the girls, no officials; why weren't the police out searching for Lux after she did not return home, all night? Those parents would not have gone to bed until all their little girls were in; mom was an insomniac. So some flaws that I overlooked because this film is not about the plot or story itself, but in the telling. As usual I'm sure the book is better. Still I was drawn to it. It could've been an "A" film but I give it a B, maybe a B+; almost there, but a few too many flaws. Expand
  3. Jan 27, 2012
    In Sophia Coppola's directorial debut we are witness to a series of tragic events that take place in a quiet suburban neighborhood in the 1970s. Based on the spectacular book by Jeffrey Eugenides, and featuring the music of Air, this movie is perfection. It is a hauntingly beautiful depiction of young love and the pains of shattered expectations.
  4. Jul 4, 2011
    the movie is supposed to make you feel unsatisfied and empty.
    viewers end up feeling exactly like the neighbourhood boys, and like the girls
    its genius and haunting..
  5. Mar 13, 2011

Not sure what I expected going into this movie. The nexflix description made it seem like a group of guys obsessing over these girls who then committed suicide. Pretty straightforward right? Wrong..well sort of. This movie tells the story of five sisters who ultimately commit suicide. But the movie never really comes out and
    says why and the boys obsessing part, while it is a big part, isn't as direct in their suicides as was implied. Don't get me wrong, the story was great as was this movie. The art direction they took with it was pretty spectacular and unique. It is told from the group of guys but in their adult years looking back on the events as if they were at a High School reunion but also there are scenes where it looks like the girls are really happy and all is well and then something terrible comes along. It all ties in together with the atmosphere of the movie and is very compelling.

So if you want sort of an indie weird flick, I'd go with this one. It's classified as romance I think on netflix but it is far from it in my opinion and instead focuses on the teenage drama of five girls as they cope with whatever unknown problems they have.

1. Reviewed by: Sarah Raskin
    One major inappropriate casting decision (Kirsten Dunst, who's made a solid leap to young adulthood in "Dick" and "Drop Dead Gorgeous" is cast as 14-year-old Lux?) and an underdeveloped motive for the girls' self-demise left me unaffected.
  2. An artful blend of '70s detail and dreamlike moodiness makes Coppola's first movie an exceptionally promising directorial debut.
  3. While not exactly a cop-out, Virgin may leave some viewers who crave traditional closure with the same hollow ache described by the narrator as follows: "What lingered after them was not life but the most trivial list of mundane facts."