The Virgin Suicides

7.6

1. RL.
    Jul 4, 2007
    I heard about this movie on and off since it came out, and was aware of "Acclaim" associated with the movie; yet it had a very hollow feeling and was probably supposed to have that vibe. I didn't enjoy it this movie and found it left me feeling empty, only moderate compassion for these girls and their situation, and wanted more. Something was missing.
  2. MARYM.
    Jan 26, 2004
    Certainly not the FEEL GOOD movie of the year it was made! While it relied totally on surrealness and strangeness it made me want to jump out a window or slit my wrists. I don't think anyone prone to depression who is off their meds should ever watch this movie.
  3. JohnM.
    Mar 12, 2002
    Terrible movie. No plot, no story, no ending.
  4. JenV
    Sep 9, 2008
    This movie reeked. it felt like an NYU film student's final exam. The complimentary reviews are baffling to the point that I am suspicious of their origin. She did much better with Lost in Translation.
  5. NeilC.
    May 15, 2002
    Totally boring, no moral or purpose for the story and very dull.
  6. andrewg
    Dec 26, 2005
    A movie with no story and no real characters is rather pointless, isn't it? It's more of a pet project for Miss Coppola than anything (the special features on the DVD are filled with infuriating self-praise and ego stroking).

One major inappropriate casting decision (Kirsten Dunst, who's made a solid leap to young adulthood in "Dick" and "Drop Dead Gorgeous" is cast as 14-year-old Lux?) and an underdeveloped motive for the girls' self-demise left me unaffected.
  2. An artful blend of '70s detail and dreamlike moodiness makes Coppola's first movie an exceptionally promising directorial debut.
  3. While not exactly a cop-out, Virgin may leave some viewers who crave traditional closure with the same hollow ache described by the narrator as follows: "What lingered after them was not life but the most trivial list of mundane facts."