8.0

1. Aug 12, 2010
    Easily one of my favorite films in recent years. I have recommended this film countless times and it was equally as good on the second viewing. The blossoming of the professor character, given a new set of influences in his life, was realistic and a captivating story. If only all films had such a brilliant personal portrait as the main theme. Issues of the tragic impacts of illegalEasily one of my favorite films in recent years. I have recommended this film countless times and it was equally as good on the second viewing. The blossoming of the professor character, given a new set of influences in his life, was realistic and a captivating story. If only all films had such a brilliant personal portrait as the main theme. Issues of the tragic impacts of illegal immigration are played out effectively, but to me was a side story to that of our professor finding himself. Expand
  2. Aug 23, 2010
    Ageing widowed professor, goes to New York conference, immigrants living in his flat, makes friends, learns how to drum, male immigrant gets caught, mother turns up.
    Slow-paced but enjoyable film which I did think in parts was like Lost in Translation where not much happens but the characters build up.
    Well acted, nice music & a film with it's heart is in the right place.
  3. Aug 8, 2011
    Richard Jenkins gives the performance of a lifetime in this touching,subtle film.Tom McCarthy's vision is unflinchingly humanistic as well as politically and culturally relevant.It's at times funny,always moving and incredibly absorbing.Highly recommended!
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    An excellently structured, skillfully acted drama that effectively weaves sincere, relevant, and affecting thematic elements throughout its very unique story.

1. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    A combination immigrant/resurrection tale, Visitor tilts toward the soulful rather than the political, and could be this year's humanistic indie hit.
    This is a simple story of human drama that provides an incentive to spend a couple of hours in a movie theater during a spring that has not provided many such reasons.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    McCarthy unquestionably means well, but he's made one of those incredibly naïve movies that gives liberals a bad name, and which does more to regress the sociopolitical discourse than advance it.