6.4

1. Aug 31, 2014
    A fantastic movie.. If it was released in 1980. There are just so many clich├ęs, I found myself being more entertained, saying out loud on what was gonna happen next and watching that exact thing unfold. Over, and over and over again.

Even at the bare fundamentals of the story where some guy trying to out-run a famous assassin clan just because he doesn't follow orders to kill a baby
    when requested is laughable as said clan pounds out literally, thousands of people after him (even when he does not even posses the baby anymore) is downright laughable. Every single moment when the guy was "doing his routine" and an unintroduced character makes contact, there is literally, a 100% chance of that unintroduced character is gonna try to kill him in a sneaky way.

Its predictable, It's tedious, It's mundane.. And It's the warrior's way.
  2. Aug 24, 2014
    Stylish slow-motion fighting scenes, western and Asian martial arts. It can either end very well - or very poorly. I think in this case, we have an amusing, good mix of two very different genres. The fighting scenes had a bit of flavor from both western and martial arts style, which carried out thorough the movie. It worked rather well.

The best swordsman in the world fails to kill the
    last member of a rival clan - a baby girl that he takes with her overseas and calls April. In a small town where his old friend used to live before his death, he takes over his business as a dry cleaner.

There was nothing really wrong with the acting or the characters, although Lynne was annoying and Geoffrey Rush a bit of a disappointment before he really started to make a difference in the movie. Mostly the little town/circus was a strange mix of a western city and a fair.

All in all the movie was pretty good, although there were some slow moments in the middle of it all, focusing on Lynne and Yang, which really wasn't that interesting, and in the end, did not do much for the movie either. The end was also rather abrupt.

Worth a watch, definitely; if you're into westerns or martial arts - and especially if you like both - definitely check this one out!
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    This is one of the worst movies i've ever seen. It just really had no sense i can't say nothing more than that. If you're looking for some samurai,ninja,wariror movie ,you should defenitely NOT watch this.
  4. Jul 17, 2012
    I'm having a hard time understanding the low Critic Review average. This is beauty through artistry via sword play. I thoroughly enjoyed this film and have watched it a few times. The wild west makes it an interesting take on the genre, but what really makes this film stand out is it's artistic elements, similar to 300. The action scenes are very well directed, invoking memories of The Matrix, while the heroes are bad-ass in a fun and interesting way. The movie itself is amusing with subtle self recognizing cheese. -- But the best is the ending -- The final fight is a good 30 minutes, never dull or numbing, and with some fantastically memorable scenes. Expand
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    The basic premise of this film is that the "World's Greatest Swordsman" escapes from his life in the East with a baby girl, the last of a feuding clan whom he refused to kill, and goes to seek out an old friend in the middle of the American West. His clan in turn follows him there so as to kill him for his betrayal. However things in his new life are much like his old one as the swordsman has to deal with odd carnies and an army of outlaws.

I went into this thinking that it was but a copy of Ninja Assassin with an Old West feel. While I still got that vibe, I recognized the subtle influences of For a Few Dollars More and a bit of Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, two movies that I particularly enjoyed. The combination of the four to me created a film that is of cult status, which I suspect it was designed as such from the start given its limited budget.
  6. Nov 8, 2011
    I liked this movie when I saw it in theaters at its release. I recently purchased the DVD. It is an abstract genre of filmmaking that is visually stunning and intriguing story. It didn't make enough money to cover its production cost, still I hope a series is being considered.
  7. Oct 4, 2011
    Its good to see a movie making cinematography, visual affects, costume, story and acting on an equal footing. Yes it has some bad acting moments, and the story is a mashup of anime and other Cowboy/ninja stories, but its fantastic entertainment. From the opening few scenes, you knew you were in for a treat. At times it wavers a bit, but if you wait 5 minutes, you'll be back in it. I enjoyed this miles more than PoC 4. Expand
  8. Sep 7, 2011
    The movie was brazen but bizarre; A Quentin Tarantino styled start with cool action, but after a few lethargic twists it fails to deliver its true premise.
  9. Aug 3, 2011
    Now this was a truly awful movie. It couldn't decide if it was an artistic movie or action movie with it being niether one. The story was a bad cookie cutter comic book cliche that resembled a 12 year old's fantasy. It was hard to care about anything that happened and the mix of a western/martial arts fantasy was nothing more than stupid. The action elements were like bad video game cinematics that try to look cool and the dialogue was like listening to children trying to sound like grown-ups. A real piece of garbage that should be avoided at all cost. Expand
  10. Mar 26, 2011
    You have got to be in a mood for this kind of movies, the kind that touches surrealism. It very well made, very good cast and it is very entertaining all the way from the start.
  11. Jan 20, 2011
    I was disappointed with this movie. The trailer made it seem like a more action packed movie than it was. Geoffrey Rush was good, but the character was a waste of his talents. I'm not a fan of Kate Bosworth, but she was decent in it. Visually, it was pretty incredible, and the main actor was really good. So I didn't hate it, but I felt let down by it.
  12. Dec 17, 2010
    For many years I have been a martial arts practitioner and movies enthusiast. Hear my advise: DO NOT spend your money watching this movie. If you want to watch it, wait until it comes out on free TV.
  13. Dec 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ancient...Korean secret? What the Calgon is going on here? Just because the actor portraying the assassin comes from South Korea, "The Warrior's Way" still has a lot to answer for, in regard to the wait it reinforces(or is that reintroduces?) the old stereotype of the Chinese laundryman. Jang Dong-gun, best known for his role in Kang Je-Gyu's "Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War", plays a character whose surname just happens to be both Korean, and Chinese, in a film whose audience probably would be hard-pressed to differentiate the two. Yang, a "Yojimbo"-like anti-hero, formerly of The Sad Flutes(described in the titles as being "the cruelest assassins in the east), is perceived explicitly as a "China man", in spite of the uni-racial name, because his kind(more so than the Koreans and the Japanese) are associated with the Old West, having worked extensively on the First Transcontinental Railroad in the mid-nineteenth century. Predictably, there's not a train to be found in this frontier outpost, even though the inhabitants who call the desert their home, couldn't possibly survive without infrastructure; in other words, a functional railroad, by which food and supplies could be received on a weekly basis from the cities. Already straddling the line of political correctness, any sense of realism had to be discarded(a ferris wheel, really?) in order to keep "The Warrior's Way" from crossing that line, so the locomotives had to go, since its presence would damage the filmmaker's ability to cultivate the lie, in which Yang's ethnicity is of an indeterminate origin, what the titles vaguely state as "the east". A train can't help but signify Yang as Chinese, and the town(with the circus-based economy) he defends against "The Colonel"(Danny Huston) and his gang of desperadoes, as a place that resembles, however faintly, western civilization from out of the past. Surrounded by circus freaks, among them, a "midget", a guy who breathes fire, and a bearded lady, Yang's otherness, his exotic looks, and way with a sword, makes him "one of [them]", an attraction, as if a "yellow" face was some sort of physical abnormality, which taints the kiss he shares with Lynne(Kate Bosworth), in what should be a taboo-shattering moment(compare this kiss with the tentative one Jackie Chan gives Amber Valetta in Brian Levant's "The Spy Next Door"), but conversely, becomes a spectacle, since the cowgirl is kissing a monstrosity, a freak, somebody from the mysterious east. When "The Saddest Flute"(Lung Ti) finally tracks down his former disciple, his negative assertion concerns him alone, and not his race as a whole(the implied Chinese), because this is an America untethered from the historical record, and on a filmic level, the western myth created by the John Ford movies, and others of its ilk. In this world, an Asian may be expected to do the laundry, but the absence of a track suggests that the "Chinese", unlike their real-life counterparts, were never imported from their motherland to help install a railway system, which as a result, undoes the associative stereotype, making the stock occupation of laundryman into a mere business that Yang's friend(also from "the east") just happened to undertake. "The Warrior's Way" does away with the notion that the east is split into nations and factions as a means for perpetuating race in a brazenly callous fashion that borders on racist. Expand
  14. Dec 11, 2010
    Just about what one would expect from a Cowboys Vs. Ninjas movie. One caveat is that the sword fighting scenes are pretty tame, even the final battle with master ninja only took 30 seconds. The ninja's parkouring the rooftops dodging bullets is flashy and entertaining, but the swordfighting itself sucks. On the plus side, the camera is reasonably steady, none of that quick-cut queasycam stuff. Acting is pretty good IMO, considering that the writer/director was ESL. Dialogue was on-par with a George Lucas movie, meaning it was stinted and simple, but got the job done. Finally, Kate Bosworth was all sorts of beautiful in this movie. Expand
  15. Dec 11, 2010
    This Movie was richly drenched in exotic sunsets and stunning characters, a great graphic novel inspired feel to this fantastical tale brings the world of the ninja b movie crashing into the spaghetti western to gloriously effect.
  16. Dec 6, 2010
    Not entirely what i expected, which was non-stop action, but a cool story with well acted, interesting characters. The direction and cinematography were excellent. The movie benefits a great deal from not taking itself to seriously. A really nice surprise; kind of like a live action anime.
  17. Dec 5, 2010
    "The Warrior's Way" is Sngmoo Lee's first attempt at directing and I must say that he may need some more work if he is going to continue to direct animes, I mean comedies, no westerns, I mean samuraiâ
  18. Dec 4, 2010
    Ok to be fair I'll give you the good. Some of the special effects are cool. But such a absolute waist of talent!!!!! The movie was such nonsense I couldn't really enjoy the good!!! Terrible script and bad acting!!! The only thing that kept me in my seat was sexy Kate Bosworth. Overall if you want to be dissipointed, go see it. In other words don't waist your money!!!
  19. Dec 3, 2010
    Well, if you want to get your full money's worth, I'd recommend seeing the movie while high. That way, it's hilariously bad instead of just bad. :)
  20. Dec 3, 2010
    It was a fun movie. Visually entertaining and enjoyable. As long as you go in knowing what to expect, you shouldn't be disappointed. As long as you can get past the mushy part and some of the, more creative, action, you'll probably enjoy this.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Russo
    Dec 9, 2010
    While the movie seems designed to be a breakout for Jang, it's Lee whose work actually makes an impression.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Dec 8, 2010
    Drained of much of its presumed power by a distinct "been there, seen that" vibe.
  3. Reviewed by: Keith Uhlich
    Dec 7, 2010
    Someone surely thought to call this knowingly ridiculous genre mash-up "Cowboys vs. Ninjas," though even that title wouldn't hint at all the you-gotta-be-kidding-me craziness on display.