5.5

1. Sep 9, 2013
    I watched this movie yesterday, expecting it to be a fun take on the "Alien invasion" genrè. Sadly, I was mistaken. From the start, the movie fails miserably to be funny, that is, unless you find an endless stream of talk about genitals amusing. The excitement fails to materialise as the movie drags on towards it's ending, even as you sit, hoping that something can be salvaged from this train wreck of a movie.

The acting is uninspired, the actors seem as embarrassed to be part of this as you will be to watch it, the humor is, depending on your taste for crudity, either lacking, or completely non-existing. The end brings not excitement, but relief that this movie finally ends.

In conclusion, do not waste your money or time on this, watch in stead "Evolution", which while it relies on some of the same crude humor, at least succeeds to be amusing using the same theme of Alien invasion and hopeless heroes.
  2. Aug 11, 2013
    I would give this movie a -10 but couldn't. Bad acting, stupid, vulgar, not funny, waste of my time, I could go on. Ben Stiller continues to make F- movies and cashing in all the way to the bank!
  3. Jul 31, 2013
    The only thing the movie has got going for it is a decent set of actors. The concept of the movie is not bad too, but the implementation of it is utter tripe. Whoever wrote the script for this movie might as well be the homeless guy they picked off a street corner. The movie obviously was given a decent budget, they've hired big name actors and the CGI is fairly good, but everything apart from that reeks of amateurish nonsense. It's clear this movie tried to be a comedy, but the jokes are dire. The story makes no sense, and the lack of a presence of humour doesn't alleviate that problem. The attempts at humour are all predictable and old. Expand
  4. Jul 22, 2013
    This film suffers with poor pace and repetitive jokes. Too many long gaps where little is happening. It felt like they were making it up as they went along and although the main cast members are fine actors this is not one I will watch again.
  5. Jun 8, 2013
    they say Ben Stiller movies some ON and some OFF, well this one is OFF, actually it's too OFF this time that it's barely unwatchable,
    not totally unwatchable because there are FEW good scenes but the movie seems lazily produced, lazily written and lazily directed.
    i mean beyond the fact that the story is so dull and weird, the only way that you could know that this is a comedy movie is
    by reading the word "comedy" on the blue-ray box, THAT'S IT.
    the characters is so lazily written that you don't even know what the hell is Jonah Hill role, he just standing there doing absolutely nothing, and what's with the British guy, you can totally remove him and that would not effect the movie at all, but then they decided to spice it up and make him an alien REALLY?
    if this is where the comedy is going then we all completely doomed.
  6. Jun 2, 2013
    Let's look at the concept behind this movie: Get 3 of the most 'popular' comedians out there and have them investigate weird and spooky going on in their neighborhood. Who you gonna call? If you said Ghostbuster, but with Aliens instead of ghosts, then you just got that one single film that The Watch tried so hard to emulate. What you get though is one the biggest flop of 2012, a film so bad that it deserves every score that the critics gave it. The casts, including Ben Stiller, Jonah Hill and Vince Vaughn tried so hard to make it funny, but they failed miserably. One of the worst film of the year Expand
  7. Mar 15, 2013
    So much comedic talent wasted on such an unfunny boring alien invasion movie. Besides a few chuckles here or there this film is just a waste of time.
  8. Feb 9, 2013
    Very Poor, looking at the cast I thought this movie would be brilliant. Very hard to find a laugh unless you look in your pocket and realise you spent money on this trash.
  9. Nov 22, 2012
    A comedy is supposed to make you laugh, right ? Well, I did not laugh once. Vince Vaughn's overpowering presence was a big part of why this movie was so awful. He does the same thing for 20 years now, and it gets ever more annoying.
    A complete and utter waste of time.
  10. Nov 7, 2012
    This movie is offensively unfunny. I want to sue someone for the 30 minutes I wasted on it. It's as though someone wrote a vague story line while out of their tree on alcohol or other stimulants, then these mega-egos got together and thought they could make it hilarious by ad-libbing the entire way through it. They couldn't. They are painfully, horribly unfunny. Maybe they will get a few **** out of a few undiscerning 14-year old boys.

Atrocious.
  11. Nov 5, 2012
    The plot flatlines- not at a point in the film, but through the entire film. For an R rated comedy with aliens, guns, and explosions, The Watch is extremely boring.
  12. Sep 24, 2012
    Saw this movie almost 2 months ago and my opinion is still the same. It is the worst comedy I have seen all year. J Hill seems like he is phoning in his performance. Vaughn is doing his normal annoying shtick. Worst product placements in a movie ever. This should of never been released during the summer. It should of been straight to DVD.
  13. Aug 14, 2012
    Detestable, at best. There is not one character in this movie that has any likability. The dialogue is painfully unfunny, repetitive, and possesses the subtlety of a frying pan to the face. I don't necessarily look for high-brow jokes, but there's a difference between making jokes the masses get, and desperate humor that almost begs the audience to like it, pretty please with sugar on top. Desperation is not appealing in any sense, but especially not in the comedy department. The plot is beyond ridiculous. The script should have been burned, the ashes buried, and the earth salted at the burial site so nothing can grow there again. Who greenlit this? How can any actors do a serious read on this and not have a piece of their soul die? There are no redeemable qualities to this movie whatsoever. Your money would be better spent elsewhere. Expand
  14. Jul 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly, I thought this movie was completely awful. The previews are quite misleading. The previews have you believe it's a slapstick funny flick about some average guys who discover some aliens. In reality, the movie is a medley of immature sex/penis jokes, overall crude and vulgar language every 30 seconds, a plot with a potential to be cute and funny but was instead butchered, and maybe 3 actually funny moments. the movie doesn't stick to the plot either, as it jumps around between the guys's personal problems, it was like two movies smacked together. Not to mention there is a disgusting orgy halfway through. No warning at all, just a ton of people having graphic sex, a lot of naked people (which personally, I do NOT like to see in movies, there are other places for that), and a shot of several sex toys. I have no idea how these other people are rating it so high, it was dreadful. And before you say I'm some old lady prude, I am a regular 20 year old girl, and as a member of a generation that usually likes these kind of things, I was truly repulsed. I would NOT see it again and heartily wish I had seen something else instead. Expand
  15. Jul 29, 2012
    Cheap, superficial, and immature. Even though the movie tries to be packed with laughs, they're few and far between. The best part of this movie is Vince Vaughn.
  16. SFN
    Jul 29, 2012
    i was totally looking forward for this movie and walked out disappointed, i thought hey jonah hill and vince vaughn this should be funny and it wasn't, i didn't laugh not once, i probaly giggled once or twice but not actually laughed out loud, the movie is totally inappropriate too, i was expecting a few sex related things and that's it, not an entire movie with swearing or some sex related thing, the overall movie is terrible and i don't how these people liked it, im disappointed in hill and vaughn for staring in the these piece of crap Expand
  17. Jul 27, 2012
    The whole movie felt recycled and was unsure of what tone it wanted to take. I never once actually laughed, but instead forced a snicker and maybe once giggled. What makes it worse is the fact that Seth Rogen and Evan Goldsberg (Superbad and Pineapple Express) wrote it, and Stiller, Vaughn and Hill are Hollywood's top comedians. The film was just not funny at all and I'm a little worried that Hollywood has run out of original ideas. Expand

1. Reviewed by: William Thomas
    Aug 27, 2012
    Lacking the bite of "Attack The Block," Stiller and co. are happy to fall back on their usual shtick, with director Schaffer providing barely enough juice to power the laughs.
  2. Reviewed by: Ellen E. Jones
    Aug 25, 2012
    If you can ignore the disturbing parallels with recent events, this middle-aged, Middle-American "Attack The Block" raises a laugh.
  3. Reviewed by: David Fear
    Jul 28, 2012
    There's a secret weapon embedded within The Watch, however, and his name is Richard Ayoade.