4.1

1. BenziN.
    Mar 9, 2001
    New kind of setting for movie makers everywhere. Great characters. Great plot. Gotta have patience and imagination.
  2. AnthonyT.
    Apr 9, 2001
    This is the greatest movie of all time.
  3. KrisA.
    Jun 16, 2006
    Great action movie. Exciting all the way through, and it has my favourite opening scene of all time. Watch the first scene if nothing else.
  4. John-DonB.
    Apr 14, 2001
    A tuck the gat low, cut your cash flow kick ass movie.
  5. May 14, 2015
    This film is perfect, from the performances to the writing to the action choreography. Mis-marketed as some kind of zany comedy, this movie is a nihilistic deconstruction of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects, and frankly any movie about cops and crooks, heroes and villains, good guys and bad guys. It's bleak but not hopeless, and watching it requiresThis film is perfect, from the performances to the writing to the action choreography. Mis-marketed as some kind of zany comedy, this movie is a nihilistic deconstruction of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects, and frankly any movie about cops and crooks, heroes and villains, good guys and bad guys. It's bleak but not hopeless, and watching it requires intelligence and attention. Michael Bay Tansformers fans need not apply. Expand
  6. Jul 1, 2014
    The thinking man's Pulp Fiction. Yes, I liked it too, but this is way better. If you're looking for sympathetic characters, you'll hate this movie. Chris McQuarrie very deliberately cut a favorite dialogue from this movie because it evoked sympathy for one of the characters. ALL are flawed, such is life.

I've run into a couple people who tell me, "I just couldn't get past Ryan

I've run into a couple people who tell me, "I just couldn't get past Ryan Phillippe." He fits the role and works very well with it, whatever else he's done (I've seen nothing else he's been in so I don't have a bias.) Benicio is pretty great in this, Caan is wonderful.

Dialogue is grand. You get little scenes that by themselves are gems but put together in this movie sequence can have a gut-punching effect. The poetry of the entire film taken as a whole is so good, you'll want to replay it from the beginning once you see the end.

REWATCHABLE: yes
  7. MystaMajestik
    Aug 25, 2001
    Probably one of the coolest movies no one has ever seen.
  8. HowardT.
    Nov 30, 2002
    Best movie I've seen as an adult. Period. Those vaguely familiar with G.I. Gurdjieff might think of his paths to enlightenment: the way of the monk, the way of the fakir, the way of the warrior. Now there's the way of the gun. I love the way these two punks are trying to find salvation and meaning - rationalization - for their ridiculously pathetic lives. This is deeper than Best movie I've seen as an adult. Period. Those vaguely familiar with G.I. Gurdjieff might think of his paths to enlightenment: the way of the monk, the way of the fakir, the way of the warrior. Now there's the way of the gun. I love the way these two punks are trying to find salvation and meaning - rationalization - for their ridiculously pathetic lives. This is deeper than your avearge bear stuff, and wickedly clever and fun, too. Expand
  9. ApocalypseBrown
    Feb 3, 2007
    What makes me sick is when critics love shite films and pan excellent ones! Fortunately this follows in that tradition. This film will give you what you want to take from it - from violence, intrigue, warmth and humor, it packs it all. And considering the emotional ride it takes the viewer on, it is easy to over-looked its small yet silly faults. Ok Caan and the lover of Juliette Lewis What makes me sick is when critics love shite films and pan excellent ones! Fortunately this follows in that tradition. This film will give you what you want to take from it - from violence, intrigue, warmth and humor, it packs it all. And considering the emotional ride it takes the viewer on, it is easy to over-looked its small yet silly faults. Ok Caan and the lover of Juliette Lewis (Dr dude) performances weren't memorable, but the rest of the cast coupled with the slow yet tense car chase scene and the dramatic shoot-outs leave you almost breathless. I am not a critic who is paid to give bad scores, so nine reflects the quality of this venture! 'What you gonna tell God now'? Expand
  10. Rev.S.
    Oct 28, 2001
    Great damn movie. I've always been a huge fan of outlaw and western movies and this one combined the genres of western and gangster perfectly. Despite what they say about "half-hearted proverbs" that Parker and Longbauh keep saying, they were all great and very appropriate. "Until that day..." Come on.. it's great.
  11. CloudStrife
    Aug 19, 2003
    One of the best shoot-em up's I've seen. Unfortunantly it gets horribly underated by the critics. You really get the feel for Longbaugh's and Parker's struggle through the movie.
  12. OJS.
    Nov 11, 2002
    Aside from an opening scene which although was quite funny, had nothing to do with the entire film, this movie was well done, with twists and turns leaving me wanting to watch more. A great crime thriller.
  13. ChrisG.
    May 6, 2006
    Finally, a caper flick starring criminals who aren't either too funny, too scary, or too emotional to believe. Love the slow, quiet alley car chase and unspoken communication between the two. Subtle. No wonder the critics panned it.
  14. PhilN.
    Jun 1, 2006
    I love this film... it has its flaws, but I honestly can't see why it is so underrated. The principle characters are despicable and there's no justification for their actions... that's partly the point of the film, and is - to me - an honest and realistic way to depict violence (far preferable to action movies in which we're asked to forget, forgive or applaud the I love this film... it has its flaws, but I honestly can't see why it is so underrated. The principle characters are despicable and there's no justification for their actions... that's partly the point of the film, and is - to me - an honest and realistic way to depict violence (far preferable to action movies in which we're asked to forget, forgive or applaud the various deaths the protagonists cause), yet it seems to be a common criticism of this film. I just don't understand that way of thinking. It seems to me the intentional coldness and amorality seen in this movie is way out of fashion now - had it appeared in the 70s, would it have been a classic like Point Blank? The film has some truly excellent dialogue (and non-verbal communication), but it has to be said that McQuarrie got a bit carried away at times and some of the lines are just too oblique to be understood or too "clever" to be believable. And, while their motivation is clear, Parker & Longbaugh's tactics in the final action scene are questionable, their approach somewhat less intelligent than we should expect from them. But in my opinion these are negligible flaws next to the film's strengths - not least, some of the finest firefights ever filmed. All performances from biggest to smallest are absolutely spot-on, and the score is wonderful. I would say, if you're a fan of 70s films like The Getaway or Bullit that are appreciated for their bleak and unpleasant qualities, then you'll probably get a kick out of Way Of The Gun. I wish there were more crime/action movies like it. Expand
  15. Dec 17, 2012
    This is very good film. The cast is awesome. The first scene hilarious, and plenty of other good ones. The middle does drag a bit, so, that keeps it down a notch. But Del Toro, Phillipe, and such, are all so good.
  16. RyanM.
    Jun 6, 2001
    It's a suprise that McQuarrie didn't make anither "great" film like "The Usual Susepcts." But this still seems to hold it's ground with another stemwinding performance by Benicio Del Toro.
  17. C-dub
    Dec 6, 2004
    Love the genre, but too many twists for it's own good. Benicio Del Toro is the best I've ever seen him. But whomever cast James Caan should be spanked - Caan stunk in nearly all of his scenes and dragged the whole movie down.
  18. Apr 12, 2013
    It does seem a bit sloppy at times, The Way of the Gun is an entertaining thrill ride not to mention a perfect screen couple of Benicio del Toro and Ryan Phillippe.

1. Edgy, hard-boiled crime drama that is very much in this Tarantino-esque tradition.
  2. A confused, empty, only occasionally funny mess of a movie.
    A movie that drags.