Artisan Entertainment | Release Date: September 8, 2000
2.7
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 84 Ratings
WATCH NOW
ChrisG.May 6, 2006
Finally, a caper flick starring criminals who aren't either too funny, too scary, or too emotional to believe. Love the slow, quiet alley car chase and unspoken communication between the two. Subtle. No wonder the critics panned it.
PhilN.Jun 1, 2006
I love this film... it has its flaws, but I honestly can't see why it is so underrated. The principle characters are despicable and there's no justification for their actions... that's partly the point of the film, and is - to I love this film... it has its flaws, but I honestly can't see why it is so underrated. The principle characters are despicable and there's no justification for their actions... that's partly the point of the film, and is - to me - an honest and realistic way to depict violence (far preferable to action movies in which we're asked to forget, forgive or applaud the various deaths the protagonists cause), yet it seems to be a common criticism of this film. I just don't understand that way of thinking. It seems to me the intentional coldness and amorality seen in this movie is way out of fashion now - had it appeared in the 70s, would it have been a classic like Point Blank? The film has some truly excellent dialogue (and non-verbal communication), but it has to be said that McQuarrie got a bit carried away at times and some of the lines are just too oblique to be understood or too "clever" to be believable. And, while their motivation is clear, Parker & Longbaugh's tactics in the final action scene are questionable, their approach somewhat less intelligent than we should expect from them. But in my opinion these are negligible flaws next to the film's strengths - not least, some of the finest firefights ever filmed. All performances from biggest to smallest are absolutely spot-on, and the score is wonderful. I would say, if you're a fan of 70s films like The Getaway or Bullit that are appreciated for their bleak and unpleasant qualities, then you'll probably get a kick out of Way Of The Gun. I wish there were more crime/action movies like it. Expand
KrisA.Jun 16, 2006
Great action movie. Exciting all the way through, and it has my favourite opening scene of all time. Watch the first scene if nothing else.
ApocalypseBrownFeb 3, 2007
What makes me sick is when critics love shite films and pan excellent ones! Fortunately this follows in that tradition. This film will give you what you want to take from it - from violence, intrigue, warmth and humor, it packs it all. And What makes me sick is when critics love shite films and pan excellent ones! Fortunately this follows in that tradition. This film will give you what you want to take from it - from violence, intrigue, warmth and humor, it packs it all. And considering the emotional ride it takes the viewer on, it is easy to over-looked its small yet silly faults. Ok Caan and the lover of Juliette Lewis (Dr dude) performances weren't memorable, but the rest of the cast coupled with the slow yet tense car chase scene and the dramatic shoot-outs leave you almost breathless. I am not a critic who is paid to give bad scores, so nine reflects the quality of this venture! 'What you gonna tell God now'? Collapse
TheWalrus2000Apr 12, 2013
It does seem a bit sloppy at times, The Way of the Gun is an entertaining thrill ride not to mention a perfect screen couple of Benicio del Toro and Ryan Phillippe.
robbotisDec 17, 2012
This is very good film. The cast is awesome. The first scene hilarious, and plenty of other good ones. The middle does drag a bit, so, that keeps it down a notch. But Del Toro, Phillipe, and such, are all so good.
Khyron42PrimeMay 14, 2015
This film is perfect, from the performances to the writing to the action choreography. Mis-marketed as some kind of zany comedy, this movie is a nihilistic deconstruction of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Pulp Fiction, The UsualThis film is perfect, from the performances to the writing to the action choreography. Mis-marketed as some kind of zany comedy, this movie is a nihilistic deconstruction of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects, and frankly any movie about cops and crooks, heroes and villains, good guys and bad guys. It's bleak but not hopeless, and watching it requires intelligence and attention. Michael Bay Tansformers fans need not apply. Expand
whitepawnJul 1, 2014
The thinking man's Pulp Fiction. Yes, I liked it too, but this is way better. If you're looking for sympathetic characters, you'll hate this movie. Chris McQuarrie very deliberately cut a favorite dialogue from this movie because it evokedThe thinking man's Pulp Fiction. Yes, I liked it too, but this is way better. If you're looking for sympathetic characters, you'll hate this movie. Chris McQuarrie very deliberately cut a favorite dialogue from this movie because it evoked sympathy for one of the characters. ALL are flawed, such is life.

I've run into a couple people who tell me, "I just couldn't get past Ryan Phillippe." He fits the role and works very well with it, whatever else he's done (I've seen nothing else he's been in so I don't have a bias.) Benicio is pretty great in this, Caan is wonderful.

Dialogue is grand. You get little scenes that by themselves are gems but put together in this movie sequence can have a gut-punching effect. The poetry of the entire film taken as a whole is so good, you'll want to replay it from the beginning once you see the end.

REWATCHABLE: yes