The Wicker Man

2.1

1. Dec 14, 2012
    Stunning. Courageous. A feast for the eyes and ears. These are but some of my reactions to Nicolas Cage's (in my opinion BAFTA winning performance) in The Wicker Man. He manages to suprise audiences time and time again with depth of characters that only he can bring forth to the acting table. Quality, not quantity has always been my motto and i think this film can be beautifully summed upStunning. Courageous. A feast for the eyes and ears. These are but some of my reactions to Nicolas Cage's (in my opinion BAFTA winning performance) in The Wicker Man. He manages to suprise audiences time and time again with depth of characters that only he can bring forth to the acting table. Quality, not quantity has always been my motto and i think this film can be beautifully summed up by one shortt, crisp and well executed line that fits so perfectly with the running themes of despair and fear: "What's in the bag, a shark or something?" .... A must see. Expand
  2. AndrewG.
    Nov 22, 2008
    Because this is a remake, it was actually wise to alter some of the circumstances which led to the same horrific ending - the film begins by suggesting that Cage might save the girl and flee with his ex-fiancée - but I'm glad to say It was as much a nightmare as we all hoped. Having said that... The film has none of the dignity or plausibility of the original, and not merely Because this is a remake, it was actually wise to alter some of the circumstances which led to the same horrific ending - the film begins by suggesting that Cage might save the girl and flee with his ex-fiancée - but I'm glad to say It was as much a nightmare as we all hoped. Having said that... The film has none of the dignity or plausibility of the original, and not merely because of it's lack of lore or history to substantiate either the warped paganism (who in this film are murderous beyond reason), or the location. Unfortunately the script is.. just not how humans behave (perhaps Americans?). Cage, as the typical all-American hero punches and kicks various women, and everyone shouts obscenely at each other without restraint. But Kit is correct - the film does lend itself to comedy moments (search Youtube for 'Wicker Man Comedy Trailer'). And presumably it has done a service to the excellent original by drawing attention to it. But the film is dumbed down, plot very simplified, drowned by endless 'suspense' music, all the disturbing sexual elements are removed and replaced with violence (which is much more acceptable, of course) and 'you know where you are' when a film begins with a tremendous car crash and explosion - the body-count is four times the original, yet the nightmarish quality is absent - it is far closer an island of freaks and psychos than it is an island of 'innocent' people twisted by religious doctrine, and therefore misses the point. Not for the intelligent, but a curious homage, highlighting much of what has gone wrong with film-making. Expand
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    A lot of criticism has been given to this movie especially because Nicolas Cage doesn't give proper treatment to his role but in general I thought that this was an interesting and yet really weird movie at the same time. I guess I'm saying i've seen worst.
  4. Rev.Rikard
    Sep 5, 2006
    LaBute sends Cage's character into an alternate reality that consists of some of the same structures that order human life, but the substance of those structures is so surreal they are unbelievable. Horror only works when the audience can identify with the characters and events on the screen. These characters and events do not have to be void of exaggeration or imagination. Yet, they LaBute sends Cage's character into an alternate reality that consists of some of the same structures that order human life, but the substance of those structures is so surreal they are unbelievable. Horror only works when the audience can identify with the characters and events on the screen. These characters and events do not have to be void of exaggeration or imagination. Yet, they must not be so disconnected from the human experience that we witness a "campfire scary story." All of the ingredients were there for LaBute to terrify us: isolationism, brain-washed conformity, rejection of individualism, and a schizophrenic religious world. Yet, in the end the actual wicker man is a metaphor for the movie; the structure is there for horror with no real substance. Expand
  5. ElliotP.
    Feb 4, 2007
    For those of us who have always wondered if Nicolas Cage would ever star in a movie so poorly made that even his marvelous presence and personality could not save it - now we know.
  6. JV
    Jan 7, 2007
    Seriously, it was not that bad, people need to stop being drama queens, the ending was lame, but the acting was decent and the vacancy of the notable female characters was enough to bring about the creepy feel average horror flicks need
  7. Jake
    Feb 5, 2007
    Picking Nicholas Cage to star in this movie was the only good decision the director made. The movie was terrible but give Cage credit for the work that he did in it.
  8. JeffF.
    Sep 6, 2006
    Not a great movie, but at least it was better than The Village.
  9. JonW.
    May 2, 2007
    This movie is not good, although the "did-I-just-see-that?" spectacle of a bear-suited Cage punching a woman in the face makes it worth a cheap rental. Also: "NOT THE BEES!!! NO!!! and "Give me the bike!" and "HOW'D IT GET BURNED? HOWDITGETBURNEDHOWDITGETBURNED??!?! and "BITCHES!!" Actually, this might be an unsung masterpiece of comedy. So I'll compromise and give it a 5.
  10. ChadS.
    Oct 29, 2006
    The PG-13 rating is a curse. The latest exhibit: Neil LaBute's "The Wicker Man", a movie that obviously should've delved deeper into the concept of men as breeders, and maximize its flipside of Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale"-potential. What dooms "The Wicker Man" from the outset, however, is the truly wretched performance given by Kate Beahan(as Sister The PG-13 rating is a curse. The latest exhibit: Neil LaBute's "The Wicker Man", a movie that obviously should've delved deeper into the concept of men as breeders, and maximize its flipside of Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale"-potential. What dooms "The Wicker Man" from the outset, however, is the truly wretched performance given by Kate Beahan(as Sister Willow). In a matriarchal society that devalues men, diminshing Nicolas Cage as an actor by his pairing up with either catatonic, or crazy women(only Molly Parker finds the right notes), is an unintended nice touch. "The Wicker Man" isn't without the occasional striking visual, but it should be clear to anyone familiar with "In the Company of Men" and "Nurse Betty", that this filmmaker's attempts at eclecticism(an adaptation of A.S. Byatt's "Possession" was his other crash-and-burn) doesn't quite reach Soderbergh-like heights. Expand
  11. Nov 14, 2012
    Nicholas Cage punching a woman whilst wearing bear costume. This movie has it all. A welcome addition to the exclusive so-bad-it-is-good movie club. What a hoot.
  12. May 2, 2013
    nunca fui fanático de la original pero esta nueva adaptación es un lento pero seguro paso a un nuevo genero de películas de suspenso dramático lento y aunque este nuevo genero no le gustara a muchos a los otros les parecerá una evolución en el suspenso
  13. Jul 16, 2014
    The Wicker Man is not the best written movie, nor does it all make sense. But The Wicker Man is a cult classic, and I can understand why; it is so bad and dumb that it is almost entertaining!

The Wicker Man isn't all that bad a movie; it's visually striking and ambitious in some ways. It just fails to bring enough to the table to fully distance itself from the original.
    There may be a way to remake 1973's cult thriller The Wicker Man, in which a deeply Christian cop has his religious convictions shaken to the core as he investigates the disappearance of a child from within a cheerfully pagan community, but Neil LaBute didn't find it.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael Atkinson
    This wasn't a horror film the first time around, and LaBute makes sorry feints at effective creepiness, letting the story roam in circles just like Cage.