8.2

1. Nov 10, 2013
    I love Miyazaki hayao and his films. And most people loves him too. He is the most famous animation director in the Japan. I watched his film in movie theater when I was child and it gave me a lot of imagination. But I hate 'only' this film. Because, first of all this film is distorting history. Japan was definitely starting World War II. It was not a victim. But in this film, it said 'Japan was a victim in WW2'. Second, the voice actor. Jiro's voice actor was awful. Anno hideaki, the voice actor of Jiro, was acting like textbook reader. So I couldn't concentrate in movie. For these reasons make me upset about this film. I'm so sad because this film is the last of Miyazaki hayao's film. Expand
  2. Feb 22, 2014
    If you are wanting to see something like Spirited Away, etc. this movie is not in this style. I found it to be incredibly slow and boring. Not only that I am very offended a the "morality"/philosophy of the film. False history trying to make Japan the "victim" of WW2, etc. I know critics are just fanboys in love with the director since Spirited Away, etc. but this is definitely a "critics" movie and not one for the rest of us. I give it three stars just for the artwork, but that's it. Expand
  3. Aug 30, 2014
    Well, well. This is the only anime I've watched using the English dubbing. As toporAFK has already pointed out, Jiro's Japanese voice actor was terrible. It was really distracting. Usually, the English dubbing is too saccharine, out of character and lifeless for me; but this one wasn't that bad to be honest.

As for the story, Miyazaki's works often involve fantastical people and things.
    Often the fantastical is more important than plot, characterization, logic or continuity. This trend continues here.

His bone-headed insistence using "traditional" hand-drawing also shows its age. He might delude himself into thinking it's meant to evoke that classics film feeling, but I strongly feel otherwise. Having seen crisp and clean animation from Kyoto Animation, Madhouse and A-1 Pictures, I don't have any inkling to use an adjective such as classic; I will use quaint. He is past his prime as evidenced by the mishap called Ponyo.

What a shame to end a career on a history altering piece of trash.

1. Reviewed by: Hannah Lamarque
    May 21, 2014
    Unlike many of Miyazaki's previous works, The Wind Rises is a film rooted far more firmly in realism. Although it does have its fair share of fantastical dream sequences and magical flying machines.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    May 5, 2014
    While Miyazaki’s two-hour-long, historical-melodrama swansong is destined to be his most divisive film yet, it is also his most adult and interesting, and never less than visually breathtaking throughout.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Feb 28, 2014
    Does The Wind Rises represent Miyazaki at the top of his game? No, not really. But it could be Miyazaki at the end of the game, and that alone is reason enough to appreciate the film for the things it offers rather than hammer it too hard for the things it lacks.