6.8

1. Nov 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's late, but I finally watched it in DVD. And I have to say the Wolverine is at most an above average adventure movie.

Hugh Jackman, as always, shows that he is the one to play Logan. Although the character in X-Men is always 2-dimensional archetypal anti-hero, at least here there is some room to flesh out his character. Unfortunately, they didn't give a lot of growth to the character. The essential theme to the film is living past regrets and pain, that the body may heal, but the mind doesn't. You get to see Wolverine trying to live past Jean Grey after X-Men 3 (and kudos to them bringing back Famke Janssen in an effort to internalise the struggle. And succeed they did!). It got him quite stuck in the grieving stage until he falls in love with Mariko Yashida. I can see where they are going with the love plot, and mostly they did an average job. It just needed more chemistry and polishing before I can believe this love story. And the coda to the film does get him past grief, but I hated Logan mentioning that "He is a soldier" and stuff. There is nothing holding him back from living with Mariko, no commitments to the X-Men (at least until the credits), and yet he chooses to live on in conflict. This isn't Batman where he has a purpose to the point of obsession, he is not tied to an altruistic cause.

The action sequences are quite well done. Lots of melee fighting, wire-fu, and good fight choreography. The people that are suppose to fight, can do so in a heart-pounding scene. However, I must stress that the green screen effects are not so impressive. This is true in the bullet train sequence. You just can't believe Logan is fighting people on a 300mph train, because the wind and the actors don't give that sort of impression. CGI is a slight cut above average. The SIlver Samurai's armor is monochromatically silver, making it easy to model, texture and light. But it just needed more polishing before it looks like an actual object in the physical world. Several times during the final fight, the CG almost fell into last-gen video game graphics territory.

I need to mention Yuriko, the red-haired woman. It's mentioned that she is a precog, trained in fighting. She demonstrates the latter very well, but the former is poorly conveyed. In a film, I do not like it when things are told to me, and not showed to me. The vision she had on Logan's "death" could have been shown to the audience using blurry/transition shots, and it would have been fine. As a character, she isn't quite deep; that goes to Mariko.

Ironically the plot of the film ends up revealed to me 10 minutes into the movie. Yashida basically told Logan that he is the villain when he proposed to transfer his healing factor to another person permanently. Given that he himself is dying, and the look on his eyes show that he is a man who gets what he wants, it is no big leap or surprise to me when the big reveal shows that he is the villain. Which is probably why after the 1st action sequence, the writers decided to pull a farce and artificially deepen the movie.

To me, complexity of the story should be reflected in depth and quality, not in the number of subplots you can juggle around with. It confuses people as to who the main players are in each subplot, and to recognise when it starts and concludes, and the magnitude of its conclusion to the main plot. Worse, given that every secondary character in this movie is 2-dimensional, superficial, and otherwise generic, it is hard to get invested. The entire Yashida clan was a nest of vipers after the "death" of the old man. There is a revenge subplot because of being left out in the will, there is the Yakuza, there is the venomous Dr., there is the ronin clan of ninjas who supposedly looks out for the Yashida clan even though they are actively hunting Mariko and Logan in a similar fashion to the Yakuza. Add Logan's grief, his loss of healing factor, and the romance, and you get a confusing web of plots that appear and disappear with no consequence. It just leaves me preoccupied with questions, instead of enjoying the film.

One of the plot holes in the film is apparent when Logan and Mariko do not call for help from the Yashida's even when they could at some points. Its explained in a reasonable attempt later on, and validates it ex post facto, but its not good if the actors appear to read ahead of the script and act as such.

The loss of healing factor plot to me is rivetting, as it finally shows vulnerability on Logan's side, but ultimately pointless in the grand arc. What's the point of making him vulnerable (and probably killed soon), if ultimately you need him alive to extract his healing factor, Mr Yashida? Oops, a plot hole?

In conclusion, the Wolverine is a film about Logan moving past the grieving stage. It showed a decent development for Logan in this regard, but the web of superfluous subplots makes it difficult to enjoy the film as it is. It would be better if they just keep it simple.
  2. Sep 25, 2013
    Embarrassingly awful. I cringed throughout the whole thing. I so wanted it to be good. Bad acting and stale plot. The whole just felt incredibly done before.
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    Easily the best action movie of the summer. Although Pacific Rim is real close! Come on, Wolverine and Ninjas! What else do you need? Ok, it does have one too many dream sequences, we got the point alright. Also it panders to the audience a couple of times like when he asked if that was a bullet train. Other than that top notch all the way. And with so many fuddy duddies like Lone Ranger and RIPD we welcome Wolverine with a great big bear hug. mmmmh Expand
  4. Jan 4, 2014
    I liked it, im sure it is very difficult to completely screw up a movie based on such an amazing character. We're are given wolverine in Japan. Sounds cool but for me it was pretty dull and not very interesting. I mean sure we have the wolverine kicking ass as usual but not as much as in wolverine origins and I thought the Asian dude in the robot suit looked way too cgi and everything else just didn't get me involved. Once again its a good movie but come on its the wolverine this should be amazing. Expand
  5. Aug 3, 2013
    the wolverine is none more than a mediocre movie for me, I am a big fan of x man movies and comics in general, when I came to wolverine I was hyped, and in the end after the end of the movie I had a feeling that all of this movie had one purpose, and that purpose is to promote x men days of future past. this movie doesn't got connection to anything, the only character that there is actually in the comics and in the movies is wolverine and gin as flashbacks. ok lets talk about the ending after the credits. you see Logan two years after the events of the movie with magneto and Xavier and they are saying they need is help, and then I understood the all purpose of this movie promoting x men days of future past. but really this all movie is about protecting a Japanese girl that Logan never heard about. and also in this movie there is more romance than action. I didn't spent my money on a romance movie, well I did but I didn't knew it yet. I am not saying this movie is bad but I am not saying its a good movie either. if you want to go to this movie because you are a x men fan so just don't. but if you want to go to this movie because you want to just see a movie that has connection to nothing and you just want to have fun I am highly recommending it actually. but I think that most of the people that are going to this movie going because they are x men fan. Expand
  6. Jul 31, 2013
    It takes a special kind of talent to make the X-Men's most popular character boring. Poor editing, terrible characterization (James aka Logan doesn't speak Japanese and didn't train/study in Japan? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??) flat action sequences, and awful direction from James Mangold made this movie exactly what I thought it would be. When Darren Aronofsky was on board to direct it seemed like I was gonna get the Wolverine film I'd always wanted with substance and a less-is-more style, rather than lots of yelling and poorly choreographed action scenes. Even when Aronofsky left the project, (handing of it off to James Mangold, the man behind such classics as Knight & Day, 3:10 to Yuma and Girl Interrupted), I still held out hope that some of Aronofsky’s original vision could carry over to this new version of the story, but it seems I was wrong. I'd have rather spent two and half hours watching the old Saturday morning X-Men cartoons. F this movie. Expand
  7. Aug 5, 2013
    I love the wolverine comics and this movie, sad but true, it is far too bad to share the same name of the franchise. Bad direction, bad script, a lot of no senses.... This movie made Die Hard 5 looks good
  8. Mar 18, 2014
    So it has one part, ONE PART that lasts about 15 minutes involving a giant robot mech samurai thingamabob (that I thought was, well, okay) that pissed people off about this movie? The rest of the film was great! Much better than Origins. Well-paced, character/story driven, with a balancing of awesome action scenes (the train scene in particular). Plus, that setup for Days of Future past during the credits, just ended it on an awesome note. If you haven't seen it yet, and you're worried about the negative remarks from people and the average reviews, don't worry. Just go watch it and see for yourself. I enjoyed it. Plus, it's one of Marvel's better movies, especially after the boring Spiderman reboot and that joke of a "film" Iron Man 3. Expand
  9. Dec 2, 2013
    Choosing the artful director James Mangold "Walk the Line" (2005) and "Knight and Day" (2010), certainly enjoys a much smoother journey to the big screen than its predecessor, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (2009). The movie adopts a new, visually appealing setting encouraging a change in tone for the heroic comic book character, with a script written by Scott Frank and Mark Bomback that contains themes of mortality, family, honor, and forgiveness. In "The Wolverine," Mangold, Frank, and Bomback introduce new layers to the popular, charismatic mutant with a tortured soul who is making his sixth "X-Men" franchise appearance.

It's a character driven plot that takes the Wolverine into new territory, both figuratively and literally. Logan (Hugh Jackman) is a wolf without a pack, in a self-imposed exile after the ruinous losses of 2006's "X-Men: The Last Stand." The movie takes place mostly in modern-day Japan, where Logan reconnects with a former soldier he shielded from the atom bomb dropped on Nagasaki in 1945.

Decades later, the immortal mutant is summoned to the side of the man he saved by Yukio (Rila Fukushima), an electric redhead with superior knife skills, and an ability to foresee the future. The dying Yashida (Hal Yamanouchi), now a billionaire, offers his savior the chance to lose his immortality, and to live a normal life span without his super-healing powers and incredible strength. Logan finds himself mixed up in the succession between Yashida and the Japanese mob, the Yakuza. The Yakuza is trying to assassinate his beautiful granddaughter Mariko (Tao Okamoto), and Logan chases her down cross-country to protect her from harm.

Drawing on the influence of Samurai films, the action is refreshingly tactile, with well-choreographed fight scenes and some genuinely impressive blockbuster set-pieces. The high point of the movie is the Tokyo bullet train sequence around the halfway mark, which provides some sorely needed thrills something which the final showdown fails to provide entirely. The third act is overloaded with CGI driven combat scenes which feels overly artificial given its character driven storyline. By the end of the movie however, nothing has really changed, and Wolverine is more or less the same superhero from two hours earlier. This is Jackman's show entirely, and he is as forceful and charismatic as ever. If only he had something more interesting to do here.
  10. Dec 2, 2013
    Honestly, I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised by this movie.

This movie really gives Logan's character allot of depth and tackles a very interesting storyline from the comics. BUT, for a movie that's focus is around a mutant, it really seems to be lacking mutants. Granted there are some cool scenes closer to the end, but for a Marvel adaptation, it's rather weak.

Overall:
    The Wolverine is good in terms of its narrative, writing and overall performances by the central characters. But, for a Wolverine movie, one would expect more impressive action, and that is really it's main gripe. Character development is essential for any story, but you can not sacrifice what made the character popular in first place just for the sake of storytelling.

The Wolverine is a good movie, but don't go into it expecting it to be action packed.

Side Note:
    If Wolverine is to have a movie of his own, he needs to go up against worthy adversaries. Silver Samurai did look awesome but was barely in the movie. Viper was done well, yet she is such an obscure villain and would have better suited being a flunky Captain America villain. She really felt and looked out of place in this movie.
  11. Jul 28, 2013
    Nice movie but only this, nice. I'm still waiting for a movie about the animal nature of Wolverine. The best part is the ending scene, linking with Days of Future Past.
  12. Jan 3, 2014
    X Men Origins Wolverine was funnier than this, but The Wolverine is still one of the most amusing movies of 2013.

No I'm not writing a review of a different movie in the wrong place The Wolverine suffers from being unintentionally funny, much like X Men Origins Wolverine.

The acting is half decent and respectable Hugh Jackman surprisingly giving the weakest performance, and the
    special effects top rate (but what do you expect it's an X Men movie). Those are the only fully positive things I have to say about The Wolverine, with the exception of it not being boring.

While they have good CGI and aren't filmed badly the action scenes are way too overblown and unrealistic to be taken seriously, which is a major problem because there are lots of them. Samurai ninja's appear at one point to kill The Wolverine. Why? Earlier in the movie they just got people with guns to kill Logan, why the sudden change? Oh that's right, because it's set in Japan! I'm not saying it's racist, I'm saying it's a totally reason to put samurai ninja's in the movie. Because nowadays superhero movies are aimed at 4 year olds there isn't a lot of plot, but the very small amount of it is also ridiculous and too unrealistic to take seriously, there is a giant robot samurai suit controlled by a dying old man. End of argument. As for the twist near the end, I didn't see it coming but it's still terrible.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on The Wolverine? Movies like The Rock, White House Down and Undercover Brother have had ridiculous plots and cliched scenes but I have still enjoyed them. That's because they are intentionally flawed and meant to be cheesy, The Wolverine tried and failed to be serious. Hugely disappointing.
  13. Jul 30, 2013
    An excellent adaptation of my favourite Wolverine comic series, The Wolverine does a fantastic job of developing the character further than ever before (and much better than the last installment of the Wolverine franchise). Action scenes are fast and beautifully choreographed with much better CGI than before (referring to the claws mostly) and it's much better on the violence side too!
    The soundtrack is also fantastic, as is the acting, especially good from Jackman this time, but also from everyone else involved.

In summary, my new favourite comic book hero film of all time! I'll be watching this for a long long time. And I hope you do to. Great respect to the Director.
  14. Dec 8, 2013
    I really liked the first part of the movie. I thought it could be easily a 7 out of 10, but the last part loses me a little bit. For some reason all these X-men movies become too cartoony towards the end. Don´t get me wrong, you´ll enjoy it. Some of the scenes and cinematography during the first part are great. It´s a different enough movie and I liked the story. But it could have been more.
  15. Aug 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Wolverine is the newest X-men film to hit cinemas this year. I am genuinely surprised that this film was only given a 6.9 by users as it was incredibly enjoyable. I felt my self on the edge of the seat constantly. That one scene where wolverine rips a parasite out of his heart had me shaking for the next 10 minutes of the film. I walked out of that cinema debating the film's age rating. The UK rating is 12A so I was permitted to see it. However it was in my opinion borderline 15 and I was a little shocked as I expected a typical superhero movie (guns, explosions) and I was handed a plateful of gore! But you know what? That was what I liked. I like a film that I can watch without getting scared but just staring at all the blood and saying 'awesome!!!!'. All in all, I really enjoyed 'The Wolverine' and I am truly glad that it wasn't rated a 15!!! Expand
  16. Nov 7, 2013
    As a big fan of the original X-Men Trilogy, I must say "the Wolverine" disappointed me in most of its points. Seeing Wolverine back in action after the events of X3 sure was satisfying, but the overall movie had a lack of character, proper design, solid structure, and most of all a lack of mutants.
  17. Dec 18, 2013
    I really enjoyed all of the X-Men based movies, great fun, great stories and great action everything required for a few hours of popcorn escapism.
    Well The Wolverine takes all that, scrunchies it into a ball and chucks it in the bin.
    Nonsense from start to finish, more lazy incoherent writing from the mass-producing Hollywood clowns.
    It's all about the bucks and nothing to do with the
    audience, I mean do the producers and writers actually watch the tripe before they dish it out to the public?? On this evidence, I think not. Expand
  18. Aug 12, 2013
    The best superhero movies are the ones where they can capture actions only those characters can pull off... Spidey swinging, Superman saving a plane, hulk smashing things.... Wolverine does that with the character to a degree. Unfortunately it does the same couple moves over and over. Expect a lot of last minute saves before being knocked off the edge. Other than that the action is the best reason to see this movie. The story is so-so. There are some truly head scratching moments, and the repetition of Jean Grey is kind of like the repetitive fights in that eventually one says "I get it already." It's certainly much better than the first one, but not one of the shining stars of Marvel movies.

It is also not a kids movie, at least not little kids. Jackman again shows his bare bottom, there are a couple instances of language and there is a lot of people getting killed (no blood though). Certainly not as PG as Avengers, but it's not meant to be,
  19. Aug 12, 2013
    In a way it's a movie kind of frustrating, because when I watch expected nothing and got kind of frustrated because the film begins in a manner so interesting, humanizing the character to be worthy of becoming a pity that I began to think it would be one of my biggest surprises of the year, I was wrong, by the end of the film convinces and excites us, from there it becomes a disappointment, because the end is stupid and almost takes all the fun out of the rest, but acceptable near the predecessor with another Hugh Jacman time putting on a show. Expand
  20. Aug 19, 2013
    "The Wolverine" is way better than it's predecessor. At this moment we can definitely say that Hugh Jackman one of the best action film actor in US(The Rock isn't even near), he did amazing job in this one. The movie did everything right, except for one villain, great pacing & action, ok story. So, it's one of the best action of 2013
  21. Jul 27, 2013
    The Wolverine is largely forgettable as compared to other superhero films, that doesn't mean it isn't good though. Introducing Viper and Silver Samurai to the public, Th Wolverine is still another good movie shot out of the marvel cannon. Hugh Jackman proves why he is Wolverine.
  22. Jul 26, 2013
    Taking a step back for a fresh look and a stripped down approach makes this the best Wolverine offering to date. Nothing groundbreaking but we get a great side adventure tale that pays homage to classic martial arts and samurai films. Fun set pieces, genuine humor, nods to the Marvel universe and the upcoming Days of Future Past. It all adds up for a fun night at the movies.
  23. Jul 31, 2013
    I was one of only three people in the whole theatre for the 10am weekday time 2D version, i like it like that. Movie is let down by having a mutant in a major role, why not a few mutants. And please, nobody can fight with knives on top of a 300klh train, if they were mutants yes, yakuza no. Romance is kept under control to suggestive level which i like. I didn't like the overall story but elements of it appealed along with the action to keep me entertained. Expand
  24. Oct 10, 2013
    Wolverine goes to Japan so you expect impressive, skilful fights with ninjas and yakuza, right? Unfortunately this isn't what you get. The story has many problems and the battles of the third act are disappointing. However, Jackman's performance, the idea of Wolverine becoming vulnerable and his relationship with a Japanese woman prevent this movie from being forgettable.
    argonautis.eu
  25. Jul 28, 2013
    Wolverine is an average movie. Hugh and the girls did a decent acting but the plot and the "artistic" compartment is really BAD and it is not excusable with 100 million dollar budget. SPOILERS WARNING: 1) The bear looks fake 2) The snow looks fake 3) PLEASE before making a movie with 95% of the plot in Japan, DO SOME RESEARCH about JAPAN. - Nagasaki is 1000 Km away from Tokyo (quite a ride in a Audi...and you dont do that when in a hurry to save a person)
    - Shinkansen not stopping with damages and people having fun on the roof?? (Ok, ok it is a mutant movie, it is passable)
    4) The height from where the planes drop the atomic bomb made me laugh...
    5) You cant stare at an atomic blast (you get temporary but serious blindness)

Ok lets stop here, final verdict: 6.
  26. Jul 26, 2013
    Firstly, I was disappointed with Wolverine: Origins simply because it tried to cram so much story and mutants into one film and the final product was just lackluster. Halfway through it stopped feeling like a solo film on Logan and became another X-men film that was set in the 70’s. Anyway, onto The Wolverine.
    I was surprised how …"intimate" the film was. Director James Mangold pulled
    back all the glitz and glamour of mutants and big explosions and just focused on Logan. The Wolverine’s biggest accomplishment is it tries to be more than just a superhero film. It tried to be above the common ground and I respected that. It was a character piece on a tragically conflicted man who had lost purpose in his life.
    The Wolverine looses a good amount of that success however in it’s third act. The third act is in noway bad but it goes back into the big explosions, mutants, sci-fi vibe that flow throughout the three X-Men films.
    The 3rd act went by so quickly and didn’t give itself enough time to breath. Don’t get me wrong, the giant Silver Samurai robot was cool, but when that’s brought into a film that’s been portrayed so intimately, you kinda lose some of the traction you’ve been building. I also didn’t like how underdeveloped and almost throwaway Viper was, as well as she was portrayed. The third act was fun but at the end of the day it tonally felt like it was from a completely different film.
    Overall, The Wolverine more than makes up for it’s lacklusterly mediocre previous film Origins. It gives us a solid, character driven film on Wolverine, while also giving us satisfying action scenes.
    Mix that with the fantastic screen presence Hugh Jackman has and you got yourself an above average superhero film that presents The Wolverine in true form.

27. Jul 27, 2013
    The movie is awesome as expected. Great story, great actor & nicely directed. Hugh finally showed us that he's the only one who can do the Wolverine's role. No one can do it better than Hugh. It was an epic, thrilling & awesome movie!
  28. Jul 27, 2013
    The special effects in this movie were definitely lacking which is something that is inherently important to this series. Furthermore, the movie lacked a compelling story and dialogue wasn't the greatest. Perhaps this movie followed the original story well, but on the basis of it's own stand alone movie it didn't live up to my expectations going in
  29. Jul 28, 2013
    This is much better, much ,much better than Origins...its well worth the money to see it in theater. It just felt much more like a story told from the comic and there is more depth here than the usual superhero schlock...and ultimately it was a just a fun movie.. so go see it BUB!
  30. Jul 29, 2013
    Good acting, and a plot that explores the character, more than it exploits its powers and flashy traits for the only sake of dumb fun. The last xmen movies where mostly fun but unintelligent, Origins wolverine was as dumb as it can get, so this is actually a refreshing step forward for the franchise.
  31. Jul 29, 2013
    Generally stellar acting and well choreographed action scenes earns this film merit as a technical masterpiece. Unfortunately, the inconsistencies in character, especially in the central antagonist, and unresolved plot pieces leave something to be desired in terms of complete immersion.
  32. Oct 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. hugh jackman at the top of his game better than origins but not as good as the x2 or 1st class this character driven movie makes wolverine seem like the most badass and powerful superhero
    stay after the credits
  33. Jul 30, 2013
    The movie was good but it could have been better My opinion is that Christopher Nolan should be the director of the next wolverine movie Hopefully there will be a new wolverine movie soon
  34. Jul 30, 2013
    Hugh Jackman is in the shape of his life and you can't miss it! If you are a X-men fan you have to see this movie now!
    You also have to see the "special" ending after the first credits and see the secret!!!
  35. Jul 31, 2013
    "The wolverine" proves to be the best at what he does.Hugh Jackman is best suited actor for this role and Yukio's character is one of the film's main highlights along with the action sequences.Looking forward to "x men :days of future" past. Best superhero movie of the summer!
  36. Sep 1, 2013
    An exhilarating superhero flick that improves over its previous lackluster installment. The Wolverine stays faithful to its source material and does what the previous Wolverine film failed to do, which is display an immense amount of heart and pay close attention to characterization.
  37. Aug 3, 2013
    Was a decent movie until the horrible final scene that steal all sense to the plot....a lot of things at the end doesn't have a logic; also the action sequences were so bad made (I can't believe that awful battle on the roof of a train...) exept one; Wolverine vs Silver Samurai was one of the better superhero duel ever seen in my opinion (even still so far respect on Superman vs Zod or Hulk vs Abomination).
    At least better than "X-men origins: Wolverine", but Jackman should be used in a better movie...
  38. Aug 5, 2013
    Totally awesome, kick ass fight scenes, mature story, as well as questionable logic. (Spoiler) 'I thought adamantium was supposed to be unbreakable?' I kept saying to myself. It wasn't a perfect movie, but I'm glad it was made, if only to show that Wolverine can make a good stand alone movie character. They followed the comics well, tied in something I've known about for sometime and even managed to make it so a sequel can, but doesn't have to be made. 4.5 out of 5 stars for me. Expand
  39. Aug 21, 2013
    Plot was well pieced together start to finish. Stayed true to comics enough. Action was good and fun although the train scene was a little "unrealistic" to say the least but overall good action.
  40. Aug 8, 2013
    The Wolverine is a great film the people who think that Origins was better have no idea what the whole x-men universe is This films delivers what wolverine fans always wanted to see the japan saga Sure ..it can't stay true 100% to the comic but you have to adapt the story change it so that it can make sense. People don't get that comics are different from movies For me The Wolverine had great story great characters, great action ...it's different from the other x-men movies and that is why i enjoyed it so much it's fresh we get to see the character of Wolverine vulnerable and at it's lowest point Hugh Jackman did a wonderful job thank you people can say bad things about the movie ..but the true fans will appreciate it Expand
  41. Aug 10, 2013
    This review was published on www.Pixcelation.com by Andrew Korkmas.

The only way to start this review off is to say the following: I was pumped for “The Wolverine.” I like Japanese culture and I like seeing Hugh Jackman beat the bejesus out of people. I thought that these two things were a recipe for success. What I didn’t suspect was that despite the movie’s reverence to Japanese
    culture and indeed footage of Hugh Jackman taking out baddies, “The Wolverine” would ultimately fall in mediocre category.

The story follows the titular character’s chronicles in Japan. It starts as a simple visit to a dying friend and turns into preventing assassination plots on the young granddaughter of said friend faster than you can say “Psylocke” (a character who is not present in the movie. Sorry fans). The plot might’ve been interesting had either one of two things not happened: 1. The trailers spoiled far too much of it. And 2. It didn’t move at a normal pace. Yes “The Wolverine” now joins “Man of Steel” in the sluggish sloth story department. And like my viewing of “Man of Steel,” I almost fell asleep several times during the movie. If you haven’t seen the trailers then there might be some plot elements that keep you entertained but otherwise you’ll likely be checking your watch thinking to yourself “OK so, how much longer do I have to wait till someone gets stabbed?”

For the most part, the acting all around is fairly uninteresting. Hugh Jackman does fine but everyone else doesn’t seem to put forth much of an emotional effort. None of the acting struck me as bad but nothing came close to impressing either. Though seeing as this is an action movie perhaps very few really care about this so let’s move on to the good stuff.

The action goes from interesting to tiresome depending on the scene. The bullet train battle was lively and creative (to a point) while the first action scene (a shoot out and chase sequence) was pretty forgettable. This problem is only worsened by, at times, some truly terrible cinematography. In said forgettable shoot out and chase sequence, the cameraman seemed to have taken a couple of Red Bulls because the camera bobs around incessantly for seemingly no reason and many shots are done so close to the action that it only obscures the fighting. Even in the more entertaining fights the camerawork never seems to do anything remotely spectacular.

One thing that many of the good “X-Men” movies have done is give a plethora of mutants with kick-ass powers. Unfortunately, “The Wolverine” seems to be in short supply of mutants and even the ones they offer are pretty forgettable. The Silver Samurai does show up for the last fight (as a robo-suit of sorts) and the fight is somewhat entertaining so at least there’s that.

I suppose I’ll end this review by saying the following: despite the fact that almost every poster of the movie features Wolverine wielding a katana, he does not ever use a katana save for a single moment right near the end. I don’t consider spoilers so much as preparing the viewer lest they receive the colossal let down that I did. But in the end, I found that I just didn’t care about the movie. It’s not really good and it’s not really bad either. I’ve only seen it once and don’t really plan to see it again. You could do much worse than seeing “The Wolverine” in theatres just as you could do much better in seeing another movie like “Pacific Rim.”

“The Wolverine” gets a 5/10.
  42. Sep 22, 2013
    I wish there was a way for users to delete reviews. I thought this was a good film but I want to delete the review under this profile, and so I write 150 words.
  43. Aug 11, 2013
    Wolverine is a great movie. It wasn't the same kind of blockbuster as other superhero movies, but it seemed to have more of a humanity to it. Wolverine had more time to develop as a character than in origins. My only complaint was that it tended to not dwell on mutants as much, but I suppose it was perfectly fine without other mutants. Wolverine is definitely worth watching.
  44. Aug 12, 2013
    I love this movie not that I am a huge fan of the comics but jus how they directed the movie to be dark and gritty like most other movies these days, but in the same way ceeps it cind of realistic of how Wolverine manges the loses he had to enure and the many wars he has fought through out his many years on this earth. I deffinetly recommend this movie for every one that likes a good action movie or superhero movie. Expand
  45. Aug 12, 2013
    Unlike 'Origins', 'The Wolverine' offers a feistier and much more complex protagonist, and director James Mangold brings an abundant of energy, which was massively lacking in Wolverine's previous outing. Although the story stumbles occasionally and the best scene is mid-credit, 'The Wolverine' is still a decent watch.
  46. Sep 22, 2013
    The Wolverine keeps you on the edge of your seat for nearly every second of the film. After an atomic set of dream sequences where Logan witnesses the bombing of Nagasaki in World War Two, we find Logan living in the forest, in what is wrongly identified as “present-day Alaska” by New York Times critic A.O Scott. It is clearly the Yukon Canada, as identified by The Yukon Sportsman’s Paradise sign in an early scene. Having abandoned his life as a crime fighter, it doesn’t take long before the action starts, and Logan gets drawn back into his old kick-ass ways.

Very early the film departs North America for Japan, and stays there for the rest of the time. The sets designs are spectacular, the photography obviously expensive and flawless. Shots of everything Japanese give the film an exotic flare, which then of course allows for every single character to be a martial arts expert. The fights scenes are visibly momentous, the special effects outstanding.

There are some gut-wrenching flaws though that are hard to stomach amidst the film’s greatness: Logan and his side-kick Yukio are both highlighted riding motorcycles through the snow in the middle of Japanese winter; the sexy Viper villain has no discernable point as a character, neither do her costumes; the scene from the trailer where Logan is standing smoking his trademark cigar disappointingly does not appear in the film.

Yet the overarching theme dealing with Logan’s angst causing immortality is interesting enough to easily redeem the film. Wolverine doesn’t save the world here, but he fights to protect the life of one woman, and ends up fighting just to save his own.
  47. Aug 24, 2013
    Hugh Jackman proves to be capable as his usual, sardonic Logan. If only the movie was a little more comprehensible. Some plot holes were obvious. I still enjoyed it.
  48. Aug 26, 2013
    If you like martial arts you might want to check out the new WOLVERINE movie. I don’t know why they call the movie “WOLVERINE” cuz Hugh Jackman has nothing to do with any of the plot of characters until the last 10 minutes of the movie if you exclude the brief yet passionless encounter between Jackman and a young woman. But the Wolverine does make an interesting ally for the movie’s warring gang factions. I suppose the producer also needed a ‘superstar’ to pander his Kung Fu movie since Hugh Jackman is the only white guy along with some toxic blond who struts around in Jimmy Chu’s and spends most of the movie deep throating her venomous forked tongue into unsuspecting male admirers. Again, why this character is in the movie, makes no sense other than erotic and to push the envelope of the R rating. This having been said, the movie was only okay because the ‘flow’ (I use the term loosely) is constantly interrupted by the need for another martial arts battle. It got boring for me after like the 10th battle and each battle goes on for a while.The giant metal samurai battle at the end was laughable, sorry. Its probably me and I don’t mean to sound jaded (no pun intended) but after having seen Crouching Tiger nothing really impresses me in this arena. If you’re going to do a 2 hr. martial arts movie you had better have awesome dialogue and impressive plot/characters.With the exception of Wolverine this had neither. So going full circle, this is why the movie is called WOLVERINE. But don’t be disheartened X-Men fans. There was an interesting ‘teaser’ at the end with Magneto and Xavier which shows promise for the NEXT X-Men Wolverine release. On the upside PIXAR and DISNEY have a slew of new releases coming out in genuine ADHD guaranteed to keep the little tikes bouncing off the wall way past their bedtime. Expand
  49. Aug 28, 2013
    Es una película de mutantes con pocos mutantes, sigo pensando que no logran atinar con la personalidad del Wolverine de las comics, las escenas de acción le dan un pequeño respiro a la película pero son muy cortas.
  50. Nov 12, 2013
    For first time a movie that isn't centered around mutants and their problems. With awesome window throw and nuke scene this movie is rather dull and slow paced and didn't met my expectations but isn't that bad ether.
  51. Sep 5, 2013
    I'd say mediocre. Stereotyped story events, not innovative, not so violent like i would expect from Wolverine background.
    A mutant villain with no purpose that finds a difficult spot in the plot, a mutant ally with a nonsense power, and a giant robot just because, maybe due to the Japanese background.
    The beginning IMHO was good, but after just Hugh Jackman as Wolverine saved a bit the movie.
  52. Sep 9, 2013
    the wolverine..honestly i had no high expectations from James Mangold..but i gotta say dis..he actually proved me wrong..the wolverine is a worthy watch, its more drama than action..which is a good thing in a way..because it helps in character development in the eyes of the audience, which is what the wolverine delivers.
  53. Sep 21, 2013
    No estaba muy seguro si deseaba volver a ver a Jackman como Wolverine y pensaba que la historia que vivimos con X-Men Origin: Wolverine iba a repetirse. Pero me equivoqué; está en mi opinión ha sido una de las películas perteneciente a la franquicia de X-Men más sólida que haya visto. Empezando porque el director imponen un estilo diferente y con mucha credibilidad. Fue sumamente interesante, el ver como Logan realmente no puede separarse de su instinto animal y agresivo (Wolverine). Que con mucha ironía lo usa para hacer el bien y no el mal. El sentir a nuestro héroe experimentar una pisca de la mortalidad, fue lo que lo hiso más impresionante que nunca. Pero haciendo un paréntesis si hubo algo que me pareció molestoso y que no funcionó fue el personaje de Viper. No obstante la película es lo suficientemente buena como para opacar este hecho. Es claro que en el último y tercer acto la vibra en el ambiente de esta cinta cinematográfica cambia un poco -reconociendo que fue necesario- para recordarnos que estamos viendo una película de X-Men y no otra cosa. Expand
  54. Sep 16, 2013
    Definitely worth a watch! This film caught me by surprise as i had no interest in it at all going in. Tons of Wolvie, Ninja action. Comic fans may be a little disappointed with the direction taken with certain characters but the film was still very good.
  55. Sep 26, 2013
    Wow 6/10, really metacritic? Simply put, this movie is worth watching on the big screen. It barely makes mistakes and is just awesome to watch wolverine rip some up on a suit. Excellent movie.
  56. Dec 5, 2013
    The Wolverine was much more enjoyable than what i thought it was going to be. Hugh Jackman is always great as wolverine, the Chinese storyline was unexpected, this movie actually tried something new. That one scene when Wolverine is on top of the train fighting a guy with a small knife was hilarious. The ending was good, i actually want to watch the next X-Men movie when it releases. Overall Score= 78/100 Expand
  57. Nov 7, 2013
    Well the movie reminded me of a 80's cheesy film. Jackman did a good job with his acting, but everything else was cheesy, predictable, and some what boring. I mean Ninjas on motorbikes on top of the roofs and on a snowy ice cover roof at that, then flying around, I mean it was stupid really.
    The bad guy (girl) was a typical Hollywood garbage we seen a million times, ya know talks slow and
    sarcastic and the producer tries to wedge in sexiness into the way they act and talk, yawn, yeah we seen this before and it is pathetic and getting tiresome.
    Not to mention the anti-hunter thing in the beginning of the movie, typical left wing BS portraying hunters as all a bunch of idiots and of course the animals life is more important that a persons life. Pathetic and sick.
    Hollywood pumps out more propaganda and garbage any more, and this is just another one of those kind of movies.
  58. Nov 14, 2013
    A decent effort and far superior to its predecessor. The third acts seems a little too much like a different film and loses the audience in special effects rather winning with plot.
  59. Dec 6, 2013
    This is a decent movie. It had potential to truly be great in exploring the struggle for Logan to deal with immortality, but instead becomes a fun yet unfulfilling sequence of fighting with no real ending at all.
  60. Nov 29, 2013
    It escalates a ladder of success for two-thirds the entire movie mainly due to Hugh Jackman's terrific performance and its use of Japanese culture, then trips down on a puddle of sloppiness and lands flat.
  61. Nov 28, 2013
    Once again, the low score tweakers are out in force with unrealistic expectations. Nicely done way way better than I thought you could do with what is probably one of the weakest characters in the Marvel lineup. Why weak? Brooding violent guy who turns into a wolf-like creature and can never be killed? This film manages to use the weakness of the character into a strength (not a spoiler), which is pretty cool if you ask me. Best of the bunch so far. Not bad at all. Expand
  62. N0X
    Dec 4, 2013
    Know nothing about the comic's but am an avid viewer of the franchise & movie buff. Love the character brought to life by Jackman but 3 things in this movie really annoyed me.
    1) Viper is worst villain ever and so damn annoying
    2) Gene your dead already bugger off....again so annoying
    3) Where the heck are his adamantium claws !!!!!!...the bone ones are so gay
  63. Dec 23, 2013
    Wow. This film gets so much right, but its biggest achievement is something that no super hero film has done before, whether it be Marvel or DC, is that it manages to stay true to the comics, while also entertaining causal film fans. Hell this film could entertain anybody, whether there action fans, drama fans any fan! It's a definitley risky for Marvel to try something like this, and they have pulled it of amazingly, but the real glue that holds this together is Jackman's preformance. Now we all know its always been good, but this time he takes it to a whole new level. He's dark, thematic, serious and engaging, with such good character development. It's a shame that some of the other character aren't as well developed. Despite this they are incredibly well acted. On par with the acting is the directing, which never feels out of place. Another spectacular feat it manages to accomplish is that it balances the substance and the action, nether letting one out way the other. But the one thing that ultimately kills this film for me is its extremely awful ending. Any fan will agree! It's anti-climactic, lazy, go's away from the comics and has some of the worst CGI I have ever seen! If only that ending wasn't here, I reckon think this film could of easily got a nine, maybe even a ten, but I can't forgive that ending. Expand
  64. Jan 20, 2014
    This is a decent movie. It had potential to truly be great in exploring Logan's struggle with immortality, but falls utterly short in that regard. Instead it becomes a fun yet unfulfilling action sequence. The action is well done and somewhat redeems the movie's other shortcomings, but not enough to make it great.
  65. Dec 11, 2013
    Even though i really enjoyed this movie. Wolverine is one of those comics with 100s if not thousands of great story lines. Picking a good one out and turning into a screenplay should not be that difficult.
  66. Jan 5, 2014
    I really enjoyed this movie and I'm not a great fan of X-men movies but I thought Hugh Jackman's protrayal was excellent this time round. A much more entertaining movie than Wolverine. The special effects were spectacular although the ending was a wee bit over the top.
  67. Jan 5, 2014
    I'm a big Xmen fan, but I had it with Wolverine this and Wolverine that. although wolverine is one of my characters in the xmen franchise, I am sick of his story line, why not open up other origins of different xmen like first class did. despite this I still think it was good, but has to be the last movie about wolverine
  68. Jan 5, 2014
    This was just a bad movie on so many levels, plot, characters, etc. Hugh Jackman was good and the only reason one would even want to torture themselves to see this garbage. I love the X-Men original movies, the comics, and the cartoon, but this movie ruined the franchise. The actors were really bad and such a silly ending, this movie needed better fight scenes, actors, and plot...fire the director! Expand
  69. Feb 14, 2014
    the wolverine is Big changes all of its previous sequels. instead of adding same story and taste in every sequel, its a good thing to change some characters , and had allot work on actions and music.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Jul 28, 2013
    An intermittently exciting action film anchored by a strong performance by Jackman, who embodies Wolverine like no one else could.
    Slapped with the generic title The Wolverine, the fifth feature-length appearance of Hugh Jackman’s X-Man John Logan is basically "The Bad News Wolverine Goes to Japan" and is not especially world-shaking.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jul 28, 2013
    The post-conversion 3D is more distracting than anything else, but the rest of this surprisingly fun entertainment is as sharp as the hero’s claws.