6.7

1. Jul 26, 2013
    How it costs to write a real story? The japanese side of Wolverine´s past have a unique glamour and a pretty variety of contents to take on, but can Stan Lee agrees that this movie cannot be similar to HQ? It can be a great mistake! For HQ non-readers, it´s a just a movie, with no news, just a oridnary 'love and blood' movie. To Wolverine´s HQ fans it´s a deception! Silver Samurai´s sagaHow it costs to write a real story? The japanese side of Wolverine´s past have a unique glamour and a pretty variety of contents to take on, but can Stan Lee agrees that this movie cannot be similar to HQ? It can be a great mistake! For HQ non-readers, it´s a just a movie, with no news, just a oridnary 'love and blood' movie. To Wolverine´s HQ fans it´s a deception! Silver Samurai´s saga cannot be re-writen with this weak history. Next X-Men, take care! Expand
  2. Jul 28, 2013
    Don't know what movie the other reviewers saw, but this movie does not stay true to the comics. If you're a fan-boy, you may find yourself irritated by the absence of crucial aspects of Wolverine's character. Other aspects are just simply inaccurate. Hugh Jackman does indeed do an admirable job given the limited back-story he has to work with, and hey, no one looks better as Logan! I foundDon't know what movie the other reviewers saw, but this movie does not stay true to the comics. If you're a fan-boy, you may find yourself irritated by the absence of crucial aspects of Wolverine's character. Other aspects are just simply inaccurate. Hugh Jackman does indeed do an admirable job given the limited back-story he has to work with, and hey, no one looks better as Logan! I found myself disinterested with the story pretty early in and that feeling lasted throughout the remainder of the movie (I found it to be a very cut and paste approach to evolving the Wolverine character) I began simply looking forward to the next action scene, which didn't disappoint. Really not sure why this is an R rated movie... Expand
  3. Sep 21, 2013
    No fun! Few actions scenes, almost boring.
    The begining is fine but the rest of the movie is practically horrible and ridiculous. A big waste of money!!!
  4. Nov 24, 2013
    The movie was very flat, I love the films of mutants, but this only came in three, adding that the villain, Viber, was complete crap, devoid of personality second thought the movie was very regular, shooting bad.
  5. Aug 27, 2013
    I always feel that movies set in Japan are automatically at an advantage because of the inherent beauty and tradition that comes with the country which is why The Wolverine is such a colossal disappointment. When Logan (Hugh Jackman) saves a Japanese man's life in Hiroshima in 1945 he sets off chain reaction that brings about death and destruction in the present when Wolverine is summonedI always feel that movies set in Japan are automatically at an advantage because of the inherent beauty and tradition that comes with the country which is why The Wolverine is such a colossal disappointment. When Logan (Hugh Jackman) saves a Japanese man's life in Hiroshima in 1945 he sets off chain reaction that brings about death and destruction in the present when Wolverine is summoned by the man so that he can say his goodbyes. While Jackman is a talented performer, The Wolverine is beyond saving as it is derivative, predictable and most of all, its boring. Working off a horrendous script by writers Mark Bomback and Scott Frank, director James Mangold shows a talent behind the camera for the action in the film with a high speed chase on a bullet train being a breathtaking piece of cinema but he fails to display emotion or evoke character out of his wooden performers. It's not entirely his fault, the acting is dire with both female leads dragging the film down. The constant references to X-Men: The Last Stand and the presence of Famke Janssen's Jean Grey reminds viewers of the nonsensical mess of a film that was, which should make The Wolverine look stellar by comparison but it only really makes you long for the days of Bryan Singers X films. While the film does try to fix the character of Logan, ridding him of some of his grief and shame, it just feels like a stop gap before Jackman is set to appear in the following X film, Days of Future Past. Ultimately its a feature that doesn't live up to its potential and makes light of its own story of redemption by having Logan murder countless numbers of people as if for sport making the whole movie a waste of anyone's precious time. Expand
  6. Nov 23, 2013
    For the most part it was sort of disappointing. The plot wasn't interesting at all. Having Jean Grey in it via hallucinations was so needless and pointless. The dialogue was just garbage and hurt by corny jokes that we have heard hundreds of times before. The action scenes are a massive miss as well. I think what saves and makes it worth watching is the mid-credits scene featuring theFor the most part it was sort of disappointing. The plot wasn't interesting at all. Having Jean Grey in it via hallucinations was so needless and pointless. The dialogue was just garbage and hurt by corny jokes that we have heard hundreds of times before. The action scenes are a massive miss as well. I think what saves and makes it worth watching is the mid-credits scene featuring the return of some very famous characters. Overall, It's better than Origins but no that big of a step up. Expand
  7. Aug 3, 2013
    the wolverine is none more than a mediocre movie for me, I am a big fan of x man movies and comics in general, when I came to wolverine I was hyped, and in the end after the end of the movie I had a feeling that all of this movie had one purpose, and that purpose is to promote x men days of future past. this movie doesn't got connection to anything, the only character that there isthe wolverine is none more than a mediocre movie for me, I am a big fan of x man movies and comics in general, when I came to wolverine I was hyped, and in the end after the end of the movie I had a feeling that all of this movie had one purpose, and that purpose is to promote x men days of future past. this movie doesn't got connection to anything, the only character that there is actually in the comics and in the movies is wolverine and gin as flashbacks. ok lets talk about the ending after the credits. you see Logan two years after the events of the movie with magneto and Xavier and they are saying they need is help, and then I understood the all purpose of this movie promoting x men days of future past. but really this all movie is about protecting a Japanese girl that Logan never heard about. and also in this movie there is more romance than action. I didn't spent my money on a romance movie, well I did but I didn't knew it yet. I am not saying this movie is bad but I am not saying its a good movie either. if you want to go to this movie because you are a x men fan so just don't. but if you want to go to this movie because you want to just see a movie that has connection to nothing and you just want to have fun I am highly recommending it actually. but I think that most of the people that are going to this movie going because they are x men fan. Expand
  8. Jan 3, 2014
    X Men Origins Wolverine was funnier than this, but The Wolverine is still one of the most amusing movies of 2013.

No I'm not writing a review of a different movie in the wrong place The Wolverine suffers from being unintentionally funny, much like X Men Origins Wolverine. The acting is half decent and respectable Hugh Jackman surprisingly giving the weakest performance, and the

The acting is half decent and respectable Hugh Jackman surprisingly giving the weakest performance, and the special effects top rate (but what do you expect it's an X Men movie). Those are the only fully positive things I have to say about The Wolverine, with the exception of it not being boring.

While they have good CGI and aren't filmed badly the action scenes are way too overblown and unrealistic to be taken seriously, which is a major problem because there are lots of them. Samurai ninja's appear at one point to kill The Wolverine. Why? Earlier in the movie they just got people with guns to kill Logan, why the sudden change? Oh that's right, because it's set in Japan! I'm not saying it's racist, I'm saying it's a totally reason to put samurai ninja's in the movie. Because nowadays superhero movies are aimed at 4 year olds there isn't a lot of plot, but the very small amount of it is also ridiculous and too unrealistic to take seriously, there is a giant robot samurai suit controlled by a dying old man. End of argument. As for the twist near the end, I didn't see it coming but it's still terrible.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on The Wolverine? Movies like The Rock, White House Down and Undercover Brother have had ridiculous plots and cliched scenes but I have still enjoyed them. That's because they are intentionally flawed and meant to be cheesy, The Wolverine tried and failed to be serious. Hugely disappointing.
  9. Dec 18, 2013
    I really enjoyed all of the X-Men based movies, great fun, great stories and great action everything required for a few hours of popcorn escapism.
    Well The Wolverine takes all that, scrunchies it into a ball and chucks it in the bin.
    Nonsense from start to finish, more lazy incoherent writing from the mass-producing Hollywood clowns. It's all about the bucks and nothing to do with the
    It's all about the bucks and nothing to do with the audience, I mean do the producers and writers actually watch the tripe before they dish it out to the public?? On this evidence, I think not.
  10. Aug 10, 2013
    This review was published on www.Pixcelation.com by Andrew Korkmas.

This review was published on www.Pixcelation.com by Andrew Korkmas.

The only way to start this review off is to say the following: I was pumped for “The Wolverine.” I like Japanese culture and I like seeing Hugh Jackman beat the bejesus out of people. I thought that these two things were a recipe for success. What I didn’t suspect was that despite the movie’s reverence to Japanese culture and indeed footage of Hugh Jackman taking out baddies, “The Wolverine” would ultimately fall in mediocre category.

The story follows the titular character’s chronicles in Japan. It starts as a simple visit to a dying friend and turns into preventing assassination plots on the young granddaughter of said friend faster than you can say “Psylocke” (a character who is not present in the movie. Sorry fans). The plot might’ve been interesting had either one of two things not happened: 1. The trailers spoiled far too much of it. And 2. It didn’t move at a normal pace. Yes “The Wolverine” now joins “Man of Steel” in the sluggish sloth story department. And like my viewing of “Man of Steel,” I almost fell asleep several times during the movie. If you haven’t seen the trailers then there might be some plot elements that keep you entertained but otherwise you’ll likely be checking your watch thinking to yourself “OK so, how much longer do I have to wait till someone gets stabbed?”

For the most part, the acting all around is fairly uninteresting. Hugh Jackman does fine but everyone else doesn’t seem to put forth much of an emotional effort. None of the acting struck me as bad but nothing came close to impressing either. Though seeing as this is an action movie perhaps very few really care about this so let’s move on to the good stuff.

The action goes from interesting to tiresome depending on the scene. The bullet train battle was lively and creative (to a point) while the first action scene (a shoot out and chase sequence) was pretty forgettable. This problem is only worsened by, at times, some truly terrible cinematography. In said forgettable shoot out and chase sequence, the cameraman seemed to have taken a couple of Red Bulls because the camera bobs around incessantly for seemingly no reason and many shots are done so close to the action that it only obscures the fighting. Even in the more entertaining fights the camerawork never seems to do anything remotely spectacular.

One thing that many of the good “X-Men” movies have done is give a plethora of mutants with kick-ass powers. Unfortunately, “The Wolverine” seems to be in short supply of mutants and even the ones they offer are pretty forgettable. The Silver Samurai does show up for the last fight (as a robo-suit of sorts) and the fight is somewhat entertaining so at least there’s that.

I suppose I’ll end this review by saying the following: despite the fact that almost every poster of the movie features Wolverine wielding a katana, he does not ever use a katana save for a single moment right near the end. I don’t consider spoilers so much as preparing the viewer lest they receive the colossal let down that I did. But in the end, I found that I just didn’t care about the movie. It’s not really good and it’s not really bad either. I’ve only seen it once and don’t really plan to see it again. You could do much worse than seeing “The Wolverine” in theatres just as you could do much better in seeing another movie like “Pacific Rim.”

“The Wolverine” gets a 5/10.
  11. Aug 26, 2013
    If you like martial arts you might want to check out the new WOLVERINE movie. I don’t know why they call the movie “WOLVERINE” cuz Hugh Jackman has nothing to do with any of the plot of characters until the last 10 minutes of the movie if you exclude the brief yet passionless encounter between Jackman and a young woman. But the Wolverine does make an interesting ally for the movie’sIf you like martial arts you might want to check out the new WOLVERINE movie. I don’t know why they call the movie “WOLVERINE” cuz Hugh Jackman has nothing to do with any of the plot of characters until the last 10 minutes of the movie if you exclude the brief yet passionless encounter between Jackman and a young woman. But the Wolverine does make an interesting ally for the movie’s warring gang factions. I suppose the producer also needed a ‘superstar’ to pander his Kung Fu movie since Hugh Jackman is the only white guy along with some toxic blond who struts around in Jimmy Chu’s and spends most of the movie deep throating her venomous forked tongue into unsuspecting male admirers. Again, why this character is in the movie, makes no sense other than erotic and to push the envelope of the R rating. This having been said, the movie was only okay because the ‘flow’ (I use the term loosely) is constantly interrupted by the need for another martial arts battle. It got boring for me after like the 10th battle and each battle goes on for a while.The giant metal samurai battle at the end was laughable, sorry. Its probably me and I don’t mean to sound jaded (no pun intended) but after having seen Crouching Tiger nothing really impresses me in this arena. If you’re going to do a 2 hr. martial arts movie you had better have awesome dialogue and impressive plot/characters.With the exception of Wolverine this had neither. So going full circle, this is why the movie is called WOLVERINE. But don’t be disheartened X-Men fans. There was an interesting ‘teaser’ at the end with Magneto and Xavier which shows promise for the NEXT X-Men Wolverine release. On the upside PIXAR and DISNEY have a slew of new releases coming out in genuine ADHD guaranteed to keep the little tikes bouncing off the wall way past their bedtime. Expand
  12. Aug 28, 2013
    Es una película de mutantes con pocos mutantes, sigo pensando que no logran atinar con la personalidad del Wolverine de las comics, las escenas de acción le dan un pequeño respiro a la película pero son muy cortas.
  13. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As another reviewer put it, it's essentially like having a Batman movie in Florida with Michael Cera as the villain. I am a huge Wolverine fan boy and there's no doubt that Hugh Jackman is a tremendously gifted actor. With that said, this was mostly about campy ninjas doing unnecessary somersaults and flips. The writing was awful. Very lowbrow- this reeks of audience testing instead of storytelling. Famke Jansen in the film basically to show you part of her boobs for about 30 minutes. Expand
  14. Jul 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spoilers ahead

This is stupid. Why can't a move follow some of the established character from the comics? The Comic book company has spent a lot of money perfecting the character, why not use something more closely resembling their story arc and actually using the established history?

Silver Samurai's suit made of adamantium? seriously? Even a heated adamantium sword (or tachyon energised sword like the comic's Silver Samurai) couldn't cut off Wolverines claws. And when Logan was fighting the father wielding a katana, the katana would have been cut to pieces.

The comic book wolverine would have mopped up those silly back- flipping keystone cop ninjas.

The relationship that was "forged" (as in counterfeit) between Mariko and Logan was laugable. I won't be watching this when it pops up on the tube, and certainly won't buy the dvd or even rent it on Redbox. I wouldn't even watch it on netflix.
  15. Foe
    Jul 27, 2013
    This film is largely well done in terms of the acting and the setting. The script, however, is where it progressively unravels.

As a casual comic book reader since the 1970's, the prospect of a Wolverine film set in Japan, and based on the seminal Claremont/Miller storyline, was a geek's dream come true. Apparently, dreams are meant to be shattered. Consider: All that was really

Consider: All that was really required here was to stick closely to the source material. Or failing that, take another well done film like The Last Samurai and simply plop Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine into it. Simple, right? One would think...

Instead, we are treated to another poorly written Wolverine film where the character motivations are flimsy throughout, the villainy lacks any focus, and the action scenes are tame.

While not as laughably bad as Origins, this outing is only marginally better; especially when one considers how low the bar was set.

Until and unless Marvel Studios reclaims the rights their ultimate and penultimate characters (Spider-man & Wolverine), neither will receive the film treatment both deserves.

All in all, a rental. Nothing more.
  16. Aug 26, 2013
    Disappointed.
    That's how I felt after watching this movie. While the trailer makes this look fantastic, and it does follow the comics pretty well, the way this movie was put together just... it didn't look or feel right.
    Disappointed.

Acting was subpar for such a big movie and they definitely could have cast better in my opinion Hugh Jackman of course continues to do an excellent job portraying Wolverine, but everyone else just seemed so... fake. And bland. And downright terrible in some scenes.

Not as much action as I expected either, and yes there is barely any blood in this movie. Plus certain sequences were very very questionable in that some actions by the character just didn't make any sense (aka it felt forced and unnatural/illogical to advance the story in a certain way).

Locations and sets are nice, and special effects while limited are still done well enough as per the usual with Marvel movies. There are some funny moments with the usual Logan one-liners and a handful of good dialogue, but for the most part I was unimpressed by the writing.

Wait for the DVD/online stream or whatever you use for your non-theater movie-watching if you really want to see this.
  17. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not a bad movie, but not great either. It was a fun summer movie that had it's share of action, but also it's share of holes. I was a big fan of Wolverine growing up, but in the movies he's something less. He's supposed to be very old, and one of the best melee fighters, but he is constantly getting his butt kicked by practically every other melee fighter that he comes up against. He's been around a long time, you would think he has learned a few languages by this time, and become a bit more cultured, at least in knowing about the ways of other people. He still looks/acts like a barbarian in many ways, which I understand to be part of his character, but he's also potentially hundreds of years old and has had to have had a lot of different experiences and exposure to worldly ways. He was obviously in Japan many years ago, you would think he picked up a few tricks. I understand that he's supposed to be a wild badass, but why not give him some culture mixed in. It would have been awesome if he surprised them all and actually knew how to speak Japanese and more about their culture to give him some more depth, and ass a bit of mystery, to show he is not just a one dimensional thug. He's also very stealthy and ninja like in the comics, but in the movies he runs in without looking or thinking, no stealth at all. Among other plot holes and questionable scenes, I didn't get the backstory about the Viper and why she served Yashida? Overall a bit slow, and boring at times, but there was some good acting by Hugh Jackman, and some of the fight scenes were fun, but the story and script was flat. Expand
  18. Sep 10, 2013
    [5.8] This movie is almost enjoyable, it just doesn't seem like an X-Men movie, even if most X-Men movies aren't the strongest. Its plot is clearly its weak point, not only because of a sub-par script, but it just doesn't make sense as an X-Men movie. The dialogue isn't always bad, but it's clearly recycled. Easily forgettable, and only worth watching if you care about X-Men that much.
  19. Jul 30, 2013
    Yet another ham-fisted take on the character. It's like no director can do justice to Wolverine. If only Chris Nolan would switch from DC to Marvel. Do yourself a favour: go see Pacific Rim instead.
  20. Jul 28, 2013
    "X-Men" returns for another spin-off, "The Wolverine." Since "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" was a huge disappointment until the people and the critics gave the movie a positive reaction of how good it is. But unfortunately the new spin-off sequel was pretty weak for me, and it's still underwhelm like The Origins has huge problems. The new story takes where Logan/Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) is"X-Men" returns for another spin-off, "The Wolverine." Since "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" was a huge disappointment until the people and the critics gave the movie a positive reaction of how good it is. But unfortunately the new spin-off sequel was pretty weak for me, and it's still underwhelm like The Origins has huge problems. The new story takes where Logan/Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) is beyond the woods, and he becomes a caveman bum. We meet a young Japanese girl to bring Logan back to Japan because Shigen Yashida was dying from sickness and he meets Logan from the past in World War II. After the death, the group of samurai thugs are planning to kidnap Yashida's daughter, so Logan must defeat all baddies including one over the top villain named Viper. The actions scenes are pretty good sometimes, but it's too silly and completely inaccurate. The mid scene is pretty boring and I feel that the movie takes so mad long that it's the same setup like The Origins. The Wolverine may be good for all audience, but I'm still waiting for a good superhero film and I probably will hook up on the next X-Men sequel on the way because The Wolverine spin-offs are a mess and didn't capture to enjoy of the awesomeness of the X-Men character. Pretty dumb for Wolverine's reaction of being scream all the time. Thumbs Down. Expand
  21. Aug 1, 2013
    Hugh Jackman returns as the (often shirtless) comic book mutant. He goes to Japan, where he gets embroiled in a ridiculously convoluted plot with a bunch of villains. There's one decent action sequence (on a train), but the rest are shot in a blur and edited in a confusing frenzy. Meanwhile, the pace is demolished by a lot of gnashing of teeth (literally) and drama (the usual innerHugh Jackman returns as the (often shirtless) comic book mutant. He goes to Japan, where he gets embroiled in a ridiculously convoluted plot with a bunch of villains. There's one decent action sequence (on a train), but the rest are shot in a blur and edited in a confusing frenzy. Meanwhile, the pace is demolished by a lot of gnashing of teeth (literally) and drama (the usual inner demons). I was embarrassed for Jackman because this is so lamely written and poorly constructed. NOTE: Stay thru the early credits for a teaser with 2 cameos. Expand
  22. Aug 5, 2013
    I like the "X-men" films but not to the amount of an Avengers arc film(Iron Man, Captain America, Thor etc) so I give this movie some slack. I enjoyed the fight scenes very much except for the fact that he wasn't fighting mutants in this film, which I expected, but I really think that with the amount of time they used in this film(126 minutes) they could've made a way more decent film. TheI like the "X-men" films but not to the amount of an Avengers arc film(Iron Man, Captain America, Thor etc) so I give this movie some slack. I enjoyed the fight scenes very much except for the fact that he wasn't fighting mutants in this film, which I expected, but I really think that with the amount of time they used in this film(126 minutes) they could've made a way more decent film. The plot isn't that spectacular, but I guess since they're building up for the new X-men feature "Days of Future Past" they can't really give you anything great to work with since Wolverine has always been the main character in all the X-men films except "First-Class." I'd consider buying this on DVD, not a bad film. Expand
  23. Aug 3, 2013
    Was a decent movie until the horrible final scene that steal all sense to the plot....a lot of things at the end doesn't have a logic; also the action sequences were so bad made (I can't believe that awful battle on the roof of a train...) exept one; Wolverine vs Silver Samurai was one of the better superhero duel ever seen in my opinion (even still so far respect on Superman vs Zod orWas a decent movie until the horrible final scene that steal all sense to the plot....a lot of things at the end doesn't have a logic; also the action sequences were so bad made (I can't believe that awful battle on the roof of a train...) exept one; Wolverine vs Silver Samurai was one of the better superhero duel ever seen in my opinion (even still so far respect on Superman vs Zod or Hulk vs Abomination).
    At least better than "X-men origins: Wolverine", but Jackman should be used in a better movie...
  24. Jul 27, 2013
    An incoherent mess. It was all over the place, the story was pointless and confusing. The setting is extremely questionable. Japan?! Everything that happened on screen made no sense, did nothing for the character, and gives us a story that goes in a very peculiar direction for the beloved Wolverine.

A weird mutant villain, poorly portrayed, and her motivation was lacking any reason. The robot thing along with that was confusing and just didn't make any sense.

All these low-brow superhero flicks tend to bring up so many ideas about losing powers and gaining powers, it's ridiculous. Nobody follows through with these ideas anyway. Nobody cares. There wasn't contrast, it was confusion. Scratching my head over the whole purpose of the story. They had so much potential. A good director, but what the hell is with the story?

There's a million ideas, and they pick a strange one. It's like having a Batman movie taking place in Florida and Michael Cera playing the villain. It just doesn't make any sense.

There were a few action scenes that gave some laughs, but for the most part it was disgusting action. Not genuine at all. The performance by Hugh Jackman honestly, felt fake. I couldn't see the old awesome, funny LOgan because he wasn't there. He wasn't being the character, he was just acting it. Pretending to be Wolverine. With those ridiculously questionable eyebrows and extreme vein problems. I mean it felt fake. I think he's overdue. I mean, its like a Jack Sparrow deal. Overdue, overdone, and just past expiry. They could've changed actors, give the character a whole new vision. Why not? They do it all the time with Superman, Batman, and Spiderman. 3 of the most iconic superheroes ever. But no, these marvel guys, which half of them I didn't even know until they made movies about them, are untouchable and special. You cant change their actors. The directing was entertaining but it can't hold up this dreadfully incoherent mess of a storyline. I didn't get it, I was confused, and it was a waste of my money. I promised I wouldn't see this because i knew it would be awful. Well i saw it because it was a 61/100. Better than the hobbit?! Okay, shouldn't be bad. It was gripping, but the writing of the story seemed ad-libbed without a strong vision to take the story of the character to an intriguing, interesting level. It's pointless.

In the end, nobody cares and throughout the watch, nobody cared.

I'm finished with these flashy, money-grab superhero blockbusters that everybody is forced to go on the bandwagon for, but deep down I know aren't very good. I've predicted every metascore this summer so far and I've gotten all of them right so far. Might as well go back and see The Conjuring, because that is really the only movie worth seeing right now, and is the big July movie this summer.

I even missed the apparent after-credits scene. Aw c'mon. You're kidding me? Now I'm real disappointed.
  25. Jul 29, 2013
    I enjoyed the Japanese locations. I also really enjoyed Rila Fukushima as Yukio, Wolverines bodyguard. The fight scenes were mediocre, with the standard close ups and shaky camera so you can't see what's going on. And yes, there is yet another fight that takes place on top of a moving train. The only difference from this one and all the hundreds of others we've seen is this train isI enjoyed the Japanese locations. I also really enjoyed Rila Fukushima as Yukio, Wolverines bodyguard. The fight scenes were mediocre, with the standard close ups and shaky camera so you can't see what's going on. And yes, there is yet another fight that takes place on top of a moving train. The only difference from this one and all the hundreds of others we've seen is this train is moving at 300 miles per hour. Hugh Jackman was good as usual. It really isn't that memorable a film, but it's well made and bill keep you entertained for a couple of hours. Expand
  26. Jul 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie acted like it had to make up a problem for wolverine to solve as is it stays true to the wolverine character, it affiliates itself with characters X-men/Wolverine fans really don't care for aka (The person who Wolverine saves the main villan, His bodyguard. And many more I feel as if the characters weren't given names seriously name three (not including wolverine.) The action was good and the point to the story was... for Wolverine to lose his claws and get hooked up with some Japanese girls? Seriously that's what I got from the story. The action is good, Story ok not as good as origins, but not a complete disaster. Expand
  27. Sep 5, 2013
    I'd say mediocre. Stereotyped story events, not innovative, not so violent like i would expect from Wolverine background.
    A mutant villain with no purpose that finds a difficult spot in the plot, a mutant ally with a nonsense power, and a giant robot just because, maybe due to the Japanese background.
    The beginning IMHO was good, but after just Hugh Jackman as Wolverine saved a bit the movie.
  28. May 18, 2014
    The Wolverine is a decent film with some fun action and good direction and nice score. The lack of any real substance prevents this film from being anything spectacular but what puts it above duds such as the last Wolverine movie is the film actually making Wolverine vulnerable and good effects. The only issue I have is the end credits scene, which while awesome undermine this movie. IThe Wolverine is a decent film with some fun action and good direction and nice score. The lack of any real substance prevents this film from being anything spectacular but what puts it above duds such as the last Wolverine movie is the film actually making Wolverine vulnerable and good effects. The only issue I have is the end credits scene, which while awesome undermine this movie. I can’t help but feel like this whole movie was just a giant filler until the next X-Men movie, which looks awesome, and that nothing in this movie amounts to much. Its just a lot of action with a bunch of characters that aren’t that interesting. There is some bit of character study with Wolverine and his vulernability but it isn’t fleshed out that much. If you want a fun movie to kill some time check it out but if you want you can skip it as there is nothing in this film that makes it mandatory viewing. Again that end credits scene just makes me feel like this movie is tiding me over for a much better movie. Expand
  29. Jan 9, 2014
    It's definitely better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The action is great. The characterization is also appreciated, showing Logan's struggle with the death of Jean Grey. Hugh Jackman's performance is also a plus.

The plot, on the other hand, is a bit boring. Especially when stretched across two hours. The dialogue is a hit-and-miss. An entertaining summer action movie. Just don't

An entertaining summer action movie. Just don't expect anything else from it.
  30. Aug 5, 2013
    I liked The Wolverine, I think it's my 2nd favorite out of every movie in the XMEN universe so far (first being First Class) but this isn't saying too much. There really hasn't been a truly great film in the XMEN universe yet, closest they've gotten is First class and X2. It was an improvement over The last Wolverine film (Origins). It had a good amount of action, a decent plot and HughI liked The Wolverine, I think it's my 2nd favorite out of every movie in the XMEN universe so far (first being First Class) but this isn't saying too much. There really hasn't been a truly great film in the XMEN universe yet, closest they've gotten is First class and X2. It was an improvement over The last Wolverine film (Origins). It had a good amount of action, a decent plot and Hugh Jackmans witty humor again, I guess you can't ask for much more from a film like this. It was a fun movie to watch for sure, just don't expect a perfect film but you'd honestly be a fool to expect that. 5.5/10 Collapse
  31. Aug 2, 2013
    I came out of this movie feeling about the same as I did with Wolverine Origins. There are plenty of parts that they could have just left out, and it was just slow enough toward the middle to make me yawn a few times, but it did keep me just interested enough to not feel like my time was being wasted. I'd recommend this as a rental/netflix, and I probably wouldn't bother to watch it againI came out of this movie feeling about the same as I did with Wolverine Origins. There are plenty of parts that they could have just left out, and it was just slow enough toward the middle to make me yawn a few times, but it did keep me just interested enough to not feel like my time was being wasted. I'd recommend this as a rental/netflix, and I probably wouldn't bother to watch it again myself, but I didn't feel cheated of my money, either. Not great, but it definitely could have been worse. Expand
  32. Jul 28, 2013
    The Wolverine is not a bad movie by any standards. Hugh Jackman is badass as Logan and the rest of the actors are great as well. Unfortunately, the movie suffers no character development for a few of the antagonists, a smart, but at some times boring plot, and in the end, you are left with a lot of unanswered questions. This movie is fine though, and if you want a superhero movie badlyThe Wolverine is not a bad movie by any standards. Hugh Jackman is badass as Logan and the rest of the actors are great as well. Unfortunately, the movie suffers no character development for a few of the antagonists, a smart, but at some times boring plot, and in the end, you are left with a lot of unanswered questions. This movie is fine though, and if you want a superhero movie badly this summer, this is a fine option. Expand
  33. Nov 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's late, but I finally watched it in DVD. And I have to say the Wolverine is at most an above average adventure movie.

Hugh Jackman, as always, shows that he is the one to play Logan. Although the character in X-Men is always 2-dimensional archetypal anti-hero, at least here there is some room to flesh out his character. Unfortunately, they didn't give a lot of growth to the character. The essential theme to the film is living past regrets and pain, that the body may heal, but the mind doesn't. You get to see Wolverine trying to live past Jean Grey after X-Men 3 (and kudos to them bringing back Famke Janssen in an effort to internalise the struggle. And succeed they did!). It got him quite stuck in the grieving stage until he falls in love with Mariko Yashida. I can see where they are going with the love plot, and mostly they did an average job. It just needed more chemistry and polishing before I can believe this love story. And the coda to the film does get him past grief, but I hated Logan mentioning that "He is a soldier" and stuff. There is nothing holding him back from living with Mariko, no commitments to the X-Men (at least until the credits), and yet he chooses to live on in conflict. This isn't Batman where he has a purpose to the point of obsession, he is not tied to an altruistic cause.

The action sequences are quite well done. Lots of melee fighting, wire-fu, and good fight choreography. The people that are suppose to fight, can do so in a heart-pounding scene. However, I must stress that the green screen effects are not so impressive. This is true in the bullet train sequence. You just can't believe Logan is fighting people on a 300mph train, because the wind and the actors don't give that sort of impression. CGI is a slight cut above average. The SIlver Samurai's armor is monochromatically silver, making it easy to model, texture and light. But it just needed more polishing before it looks like an actual object in the physical world. Several times during the final fight, the CG almost fell into last-gen video game graphics territory.

I need to mention Yuriko, the red-haired woman. It's mentioned that she is a precog, trained in fighting. She demonstrates the latter very well, but the former is poorly conveyed. In a film, I do not like it when things are told to me, and not showed to me. The vision she had on Logan's "death" could have been shown to the audience using blurry/transition shots, and it would have been fine. As a character, she isn't quite deep; that goes to Mariko.

Ironically the plot of the film ends up revealed to me 10 minutes into the movie. Yashida basically told Logan that he is the villain when he proposed to transfer his healing factor to another person permanently. Given that he himself is dying, and the look on his eyes show that he is a man who gets what he wants, it is no big leap or surprise to me when the big reveal shows that he is the villain. Which is probably why after the 1st action sequence, the writers decided to pull a farce and artificially deepen the movie.

To me, complexity of the story should be reflected in depth and quality, not in the number of subplots you can juggle around with. It confuses people as to who the main players are in each subplot, and to recognise when it starts and concludes, and the magnitude of its conclusion to the main plot. Worse, given that every secondary character in this movie is 2-dimensional, superficial, and otherwise generic, it is hard to get invested. The entire Yashida clan was a nest of vipers after the "death" of the old man. There is a revenge subplot because of being left out in the will, there is the Yakuza, there is the venomous Dr., there is the ronin clan of ninjas who supposedly looks out for the Yashida clan even though they are actively hunting Mariko and Logan in a similar fashion to the Yakuza. Add Logan's grief, his loss of healing factor, and the romance, and you get a confusing web of plots that appear and disappear with no consequence. It just leaves me preoccupied with questions, instead of enjoying the film.

One of the plot holes in the film is apparent when Logan and Mariko do not call for help from the Yashida's even when they could at some points. Its explained in a reasonable attempt later on, and validates it ex post facto, but its not good if the actors appear to read ahead of the script and act as such.

The loss of healing factor plot to me is rivetting, as it finally shows vulnerability on Logan's side, but ultimately pointless in the grand arc. What's the point of making him vulnerable (and probably killed soon), if ultimately you need him alive to extract his healing factor, Mr Yashida? Oops, a plot hole?

In conclusion, the Wolverine is a film about Logan moving past the grieving stage. It showed a decent development for Logan in this regard, but the web of superfluous subplots makes it difficult to enjoy the film as it is. It would be better if they just keep it simple.
  34. Dec 2, 2013
    Choosing the artful director James Mangold "Walk the Line" (2005) and "Knight and Day" (2010), certainly enjoys a much smoother journey to the big screen than its predecessor, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (2009). The movie adopts a new, visually appealing setting encouraging a change in tone for the heroic comic book character, with a script written by Scott Frank and Mark Bomback thatChoosing the artful director James Mangold "Walk the Line" (2005) and "Knight and Day" (2010), certainly enjoys a much smoother journey to the big screen than its predecessor, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (2009). The movie adopts a new, visually appealing setting encouraging a change in tone for the heroic comic book character, with a script written by Scott Frank and Mark Bomback that contains themes of mortality, family, honor, and forgiveness. In "The Wolverine," Mangold, Frank, and Bomback introduce new layers to the popular, charismatic mutant with a tortured soul who is making his sixth "X-Men" franchise appearance.

It's a character driven plot that takes the Wolverine into new territory, both figuratively and literally. Logan (Hugh Jackman) is a wolf without a pack, in a self-imposed exile after the ruinous losses of 2006's "X-Men: The Last Stand." The movie takes place mostly in modern-day Japan, where Logan reconnects with a former soldier he shielded from the atom bomb dropped on Nagasaki in 1945.

Decades later, the immortal mutant is summoned to the side of the man he saved by Yukio (Rila Fukushima), an electric redhead with superior knife skills, and an ability to foresee the future. The dying Yashida (Hal Yamanouchi), now a billionaire, offers his savior the chance to lose his immortality, and to live a normal life span without his super-healing powers and incredible strength. Logan finds himself mixed up in the succession between Yashida and the Japanese mob, the Yakuza. The Yakuza is trying to assassinate his beautiful granddaughter Mariko (Tao Okamoto), and Logan chases her down cross-country to protect her from harm.

Drawing on the influence of Samurai films, the action is refreshingly tactile, with well-choreographed fight scenes and some genuinely impressive blockbuster set-pieces. The high point of the movie is the Tokyo bullet train sequence around the halfway mark, which provides some sorely needed thrills something which the final showdown fails to provide entirely. The third act is overloaded with CGI driven combat scenes which feels overly artificial given its character driven storyline. By the end of the movie however, nothing has really changed, and Wolverine is more or less the same superhero from two hours earlier. This is Jackman's show entirely, and he is as forceful and charismatic as ever. If only he had something more interesting to do here.
  35. Dec 2, 2013
    Honestly, I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised by this movie.

This movie really gives Logan's character allot of depth and tackles a very interesting storyline from the comics. BUT, for a movie that's focus is around a mutant, it really seems to be lacking mutants. Granted there are some cool scenes closer to the end, but for a Marvel adaptation, it's rather weak.
    Honestly, I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised by this movie.

Overall:
    The Wolverine is good in terms of its narrative, writing and overall performances by the central characters. But, for a Wolverine movie, one would expect more impressive action, and that is really it's main gripe. Character development is essential for any story, but you can not sacrifice what made the character popular in first place just for the sake of storytelling.

The Wolverine is a good movie, but don't go into it expecting it to be action packed.

Side Note:
    If Wolverine is to have a movie of his own, he needs to go up against worthy adversaries. Silver Samurai did look awesome but was barely in the movie. Viper was done well, yet she is such an obscure villain and would have better suited being a flunky Captain America villain. She really felt and looked out of place in this movie.
  36. Jul 28, 2013
    Nice movie but only this, nice. I'm still waiting for a movie about the animal nature of Wolverine. The best part is the ending scene, linking with Days of Future Past.
  37. Dec 8, 2013
    I really liked the first part of the movie. I thought it could be easily a 7 out of 10, but the last part loses me a little bit. For some reason all these X-men movies become too cartoony towards the end. Don´t get me wrong, you´ll enjoy it. Some of the scenes and cinematography during the first part are great. It´s a different enough movie and I liked the story. But it could have been more.
  38. Nov 7, 2013
    As a big fan of the original X-Men Trilogy, I must say "the Wolverine" disappointed me in most of its points. Seeing Wolverine back in action after the events of X3 sure was satisfying, but the overall movie had a lack of character, proper design, solid structure, and most of all a lack of mutants.
  39. Jun 10, 2014
    Although rough around the edges, this movie is actually very fun...

Although rough around the edges, this movie is actually very fun...

I like the setting, the characters, the fight scenes and the music, but everything is clumsily executed, some of the characters motivations just feel warped and not explained enough, I admit I don't know much of the wolverine character but has an audience watching this movie I expect to know him better, specially when he is the title character... I didn't felt that much here.

I like the X-Men movies in general and this movie is good; I just don't feel has invested in this movie has I do with the more well though out films of this series...
  40. Jul 31, 2013
    I was one of only three people in the whole theatre for the 10am weekday time 2D version, i like it like that. Movie is let down by having a mutant in a major role, why not a few mutants. And please, nobody can fight with knives on top of a 300klh train, if they were mutants yes, yakuza no. Romance is kept under control to suggestive level which i like. I didn't like the overall story butI was one of only three people in the whole theatre for the 10am weekday time 2D version, i like it like that. Movie is let down by having a mutant in a major role, why not a few mutants. And please, nobody can fight with knives on top of a 300klh train, if they were mutants yes, yakuza no. Romance is kept under control to suggestive level which i like. I didn't like the overall story but elements of it appealed along with the action to keep me entertained. Expand
  41. Oct 10, 2013
    Wolverine goes to Japan so you expect impressive, skilful fights with ninjas and yakuza, right? Unfortunately this isn't what you get. The story has many problems and the battles of the third act are disappointing. However, Jackman's performance, the idea of Wolverine becoming vulnerable and his relationship with a Japanese woman prevent this movie from being forgettable.
    argonautis.eu
  42. Jul 28, 2013
    Wolverine is an average movie. Hugh and the girls did a decent acting but the plot and the "artistic" compartment is really BAD and it is not excusable with 100 million dollar budget.
    SPOILERS WARNING:
    1) The bear looks fake 2) The snow looks fake 3) PLEASE before making a movie with 95% of the plot in Japan, DO SOME RESEARCH about JAPAN. - Nagasaki is 1000 Km away from Tokyo (quite a
    SPOILERS WARNING:
    1) The bear looks fake
    2) The snow looks fake
    - Nagasaki is 1000 Km away from Tokyo (quite a ride in a Audi...and you dont do that when in a hurry to save a person)
    - Shinkansen not stopping with damages and people having fun on the roof?? (Ok, ok it is a mutant movie, it is passable)
    4) The height from where the planes drop the atomic bomb made me laugh...
    5) You cant stare at an atomic blast (you get temporary but serious blindness)

Ok lets stop here, final verdict: 6.
  43. Jul 27, 2013
    The special effects in this movie were definitely lacking which is something that is inherently important to this series. Furthermore, the movie lacked a compelling story and dialogue wasn't the greatest. Perhaps this movie followed the original story well, but on the basis of it's own stand alone movie it didn't live up to my expectations going in
  44. Jul 29, 2013
    Generally stellar acting and well choreographed action scenes earns this film merit as a technical masterpiece. Unfortunately, the inconsistencies in character, especially in the central antagonist, and unresolved plot pieces leave something to be desired in terms of complete immersion.
  45. Aug 12, 2013
    Unlike 'Origins', 'The Wolverine' offers a feistier and much more complex protagonist, and director James Mangold brings an abundant of energy, which was massively lacking in Wolverine's previous outing. Although the story stumbles occasionally and the best scene is mid-credit, 'The Wolverine' is still a decent watch.
  46. Aug 24, 2013
    Hugh Jackman proves to be capable as his usual, sardonic Logan. If only the movie was a little more comprehensible. Some plot holes were obvious. I still enjoyed it.
  47. Nov 12, 2013
    For first time a movie that isn't centered around mutants and their problems. With awesome window throw and nuke scene this movie is rather dull and slow paced and didn't met my expectations but isn't that bad ether.
  48. Nov 14, 2013
    A decent effort and far superior to its predecessor. The third acts seems a little too much like a different film and loses the audience in special effects rather winning with plot.
  49. Dec 6, 2013
    This is a decent movie. It had potential to truly be great in exploring the struggle for Logan to deal with immortality, but instead becomes a fun yet unfulfilling sequence of fighting with no real ending at all.
  50. Jan 5, 2014
    I'm a big Xmen fan, but I had it with Wolverine this and Wolverine that. although wolverine is one of my characters in the xmen franchise, I am sick of his story line, why not open up other origins of different xmen like first class did. despite this I still think it was good, but has to be the last movie about wolverine
  51. Apr 9, 2015
    Generally speaking, X-MEN series is my favourite among the superhero universe, yet the distant memory of Gavin Hood’s X-MEN ORIGINS:WOLVERINE (2009, 7/10) has faded into blurry fragments, this time, Hugh Jackson’s Logan (who is in top form in his Wolverine physique) embarks on an exotic journey in Japan, all by himself (with Jean haunting him all along to allure him into discard hisGenerally speaking, X-MEN series is my favourite among the superhero universe, yet the distant memory of Gavin Hood’s X-MEN ORIGINS:WOLVERINE (2009, 7/10) has faded into blurry fragments, this time, Hugh Jackson’s Logan (who is in top form in his Wolverine physique) embarks on an exotic journey in Japan, all by himself (with Jean haunting him all along to allure him into discard his immortality), to say a farewell to an old friend Yashida (Yahmamouchi) in his dying bed, whom in the opening sequences, Logan saves during the Nagasaki bombing, only to discover there is a sinister scheme awaits.

keep reading my review on my blog, please google: cinema omnivore, thanks
  52. Oct 19, 2014
    The continuation of X-Men is even less great than The Last Stand.

The continuation of X-Men is even less great than The Last Stand.

Well lets take the good aspects of the film first shall we. The opening scene is awesome, and the CGI is incredible. It also got some highly entertaining action-sequences and cool things. The Wolverine got many defects, and one of them is that it’s a bit brutal for my taste, and it’s very slow and boring at some places. The ending is another thing that totally sucked to watch, so boring (but the end-credit scene is great!). Some of the actors are just the worst, so they could have done that better.

The Wolverine is the less greatest film of all X-Men movies.

The Wolverine get a 6.5/10.
  53. Nov 22, 2014
    This movie wasn't bad but its one of the worst Marvel Films I've watched. I haven't touched the comics so I don't really care if it follows that storyline. I didn't care for the villain. Marvel films have to have an impressive villain in order to take the movie to the next level. Hugh Jackman was perfect as usual and that is what saved this one.
  54. Sep 30, 2014
    The Wolverine had the task of rejuvenating the Wolverine franchise after the failed attempt of X-Men Origins. Did it succeed? Did it fail? I think it did pretty alright. This was mostly a character driven film with very little plot. It starts off strong with a very emotional and intense scene, but from there the film starts to lose path. The viper chick was a useless character that feltThe Wolverine had the task of rejuvenating the Wolverine franchise after the failed attempt of X-Men Origins. Did it succeed? Did it fail? I think it did pretty alright. This was mostly a character driven film with very little plot. It starts off strong with a very emotional and intense scene, but from there the film starts to lose path. The viper chick was a useless character that felt forced into the script in order to have more than two mutants. The Wolverine lacked a villain with strong presence, a plot, and an impactful score especially for a superhero movie. Hugh Jackman is at his best, and at this point it feels as if nobody else can play the legendary comic book character but him. The fight scenes had very good choreography, but the shaky camera made it hard to focus in what was going on. I especially like the train fight scene, even if it did make the eyebrows of every physicist rise. I appreciate this movie because they are at least on the right path to making wolverine movies, which origins failed to accomplish, but I cannot excuse The Wolverine of its empty plot driven solely on the development of one character surrounded by many seemingly empty characters. Expand
  55. Oct 9, 2014
    Give me a break the guys a great actor but the Wolverine I read about in the comics will tear him apart. The guy is to tall, to weak, and not vicious enough when he fights. Wolverine is a beast a on the thin line of humanity and animal carnage. If he lost a foot in height then grew more body hair then you would be doing something. Not to mention his trade mark yellow and hair. When isGive me a break the guys a great actor but the Wolverine I read about in the comics will tear him apart. The guy is to tall, to weak, and not vicious enough when he fights. Wolverine is a beast a on the thin line of humanity and animal carnage. If he lost a foot in height then grew more body hair then you would be doing something. Not to mention his trade mark yellow and hair. When is Sabertooth coming back can't let wolverine keep going without his arch enemy popping up from time to time. To rip and beat him up a little. Expand
  56. Jan 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "The Wolverine" is the first time we get to see Wolverine in action, with plenty of blood, killing, swearing (well, the "F bomb" was dropped 3 times, not that often) and all that other good stuff. As always, Hugh Jackman is superb in the role but there are a few aspects of the film that bring the whole experience down.

Performances by the rest of the cast can be notably bad and lifeless at times and it doesn't help that characters are written to be quite stupid and one-dimensional. I have a feeling that some actors were only cast because they were experienced in fighting and choreography for the plentiful action scenes scattered in the film. The romance between Logan and Mariko was unnecessary and felt too forced. The plot becomes a little difficult to follow as we get further into the film and is illogically explained towards the end.

There are plenty of moments that make you scratch your head and make you question what the filmmakers were actually thinking; Wolverine disobeying the laws of physics (on the train), successfully striking the adamantium robot with one clean sweep and then deciding to make it fall over instead of finishing it off, Wolverine not doing anything at all about the multiple arrows being shot into his back and not even looking as if he's running fast enough to escape them and to get to Mariko, the Viper not using her powers immediately when confronted by Yukio, the list goes on.

"The Wolverine" opened with a very good 45 minutes but the remainder of the film gets silly along with both the plot and the characters. Hugh Jackman and his badass Wolverine moments may make this worth the watch but pretty much everything else doesn't.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Jul 28, 2013
    An intermittently exciting action film anchored by a strong performance by Jackman, who embodies Wolverine like no one else could.
    Slapped with the generic title The Wolverine, the fifth feature-length appearance of Hugh Jackman’s X-Man John Logan is basically "The Bad News Wolverine Goes to Japan" and is not especially world-shaking.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jul 28, 2013
    The post-conversion 3D is more distracting than anything else, but the rest of this surprisingly fun entertainment is as sharp as the hero’s claws.